another spz release cancelled??

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

laid back in the sun
Known user

another spz release cancelled??

Post by laid back in the sun »

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/list_from_code ... ?key=96155

looks like the japanese 'best of' compilation cd has gone the same way as the YLYC 7" :( anyone know anything more about this, has it just been delayed or cancelled completely?? :?
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: another spz release cancelled??

Post by TheWarmth »

These developments, or lack thereof, are really depressing. Can we have some good news, please?
laid back in the sun
Known user

theres been a disturbing lack of news of any description lately :? in the past four months the only thing added to the prescriptions has been a couple of gigs and the last two planned releases have been cancelled :( hope we can expect a few proper releases this year and a couple of tours and festival dates at least
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

This has already been covered in another thread, but this is always how it goes. We'll wander sightless and thirsty through a 5-6 year desert of news, only to find a new Spiritualized release at the other end of it...
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

2008- new album, new solo release, world tour, many promo pieces, new spacemen 3 release. such a lack of activity!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Not to mention a soundtrack album.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Why does anybody care about a greatest hits album anyways?

You know that if such a thing came out, everybody would just bitch about it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

bunnyben wrote:2008- new album, new solo release, world tour, many promo pieces, new spacemen 3 release. such a lack of activity!
Countless interviews. Radio sessions. Shitloads of live shows thru the message board.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

Oh well, if peeps are requiring to splurge on some spiritualized then they can do so by buying the latest addition to the sci-fi-lo-fi compilations on the soma label.

http://www.somarecords.com/music/soma_cd76/

Mixed/chosen by Rob(ert) da(the) bank : Shoegazing 1985-2007 includes probably mostly stuff you already have...

Soma is a label that's vexing me at the minute...2 steps forwards-3 steps back...much like Warp does and also TDr have gone bust (I think the "party-line" is "taking a break") which is sad but they have never really moved on from the AI type design of the early '90s IMO...wasted a lot of time with that caricature japanese sheet, dr angry??? and very bland products.

Anyway...
Shoulders back, smash it
laid back in the sun
Known user

granted its been a busier year than most when it comes to spz activity but i cant help finding it slightly worrying that out of the four planned offical spz releases (soul on fire, songs in a&e, ylyc and the greatest hits album) half of them have been cancelled. its a shame considering there could have easily been three singles lifted from a&e and even if the b sides had just been live versions of tracks from a&e i'd have been very happy with that. would people really complain about a greatest hits album?? i know i wouldn't! maybe i just expected a few more releases after the album came out to keep the momentum going, theres so much crying out to be released (a new live album, some singles, acoustic mainlines stuff, dvd etc) and currently no news on any of them :?
porkchop
Known user

Post by porkchop »

As mentioned in another thread, problems with labels(like not having one anymore to release material) will get in the way.
I think last year was pretty fun on the spz clock. We all know the drill after a release/tour....same with any band really.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

"would people really complain about a greatest hits album?? "

Some people would buy it and be happy with it because it's another thingy that says "Spiritualized" on it.

Some people wouldn't really care unless it has a new song on it.

Some people would complain because it has more songs from this album than that album, or their favorite songs aren't on it, or blah blah blah. See the Complete Works reaction.
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

The Japanese greatest hits was never officially authorised. YLYC was a typical reaction from a major label in today's climate.

There will soon be news of activity this year, but as has been pointed out these things are cyclical...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for keeping us informed spazed. That there was no further singles after Soul on fire is disappointing but as said with the record industry like it is at the moment.. and kids just downloading stuff, singles are dying out. Its a shame cause I like the idea of singles/EPs, I would have been happy with any B sides at all even live tracks. And Spiritualized packaging is so gorgeous any physical artifacts are good to have for the collection.

Its the lack of anything from acoustic mainlines that worries me- that period needs to be documented. And a properly mixed live album from this lineup would also be awesome- even if the record company aren't interested they could release it via the website?

Anyway I look to further news with much interest.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

here's an idea

if the singles etc are packaged up already then why not sell them through this website? people here as you can see above will purchase them, the company will make more money than just piling them all into a vault.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'