Feel So Sad

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Feel So Sad

Post by jadams501 »

I just got my copy of Sp3 Recurring the other day and see Jason's half as the long-lost 'real debut' of Spiritualized. While I can pretty readily tell the difference between the two "Feelin' Just Fine"s, it seems to me that Drive/Feel So Sad is exactly the same recording from Spz "Feel So Sad" single... can anyone shed any light on this?
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

It was originally the B side of Big City. I imagine Jason just got lazy...
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Drive/Feel So Sad

Post by Ian Goodchild »

'Drive/Feel So Sad'...is it a Spacemen 3 or Spiritualized query? That's not pedantry, by the way - it's just that these two tracks (for me) mark the real musical transition from Spacemen 3 to Spiritualized, and also the tracks that represent Spiritualized in their purest and most emotive way.

To answer your question, 'Feel So Sad' was never the B-side to 'Big City', but 'Drive' was. There's an important difference...

1). The 2nd version of 'Drive/Feel So Sad' on 'Recurring' (Space Age and UK Fire versions of the LP, not the Dedicated version) is a duplicate of the B-side of the Fierce/Fright gig only 7" vinyl single 'I Want You/Feel So Sad' and also appears on Complete Works I (the same poor quality as the vinyl). I don't know why this appears, especially as the second Spiritualized single is 'Feel So Sad [13.20]' but the written set-lists for Spiritualized live gigs (1990-1991) always listed 'Drive/Feel So Sad' not just 'Feel So Sad'.

2). 'Feel So Sad (reprise)' from 'Recurring' (almost accapella version) was originally part of a very long version of 'Drive' - a Recurring Demo which stretches about 10 minutes.

3). 'Drive' and 'Drive/Feel So Sad' are very different tracks - 'Drive' is the flipside to (surprise) Spacemen 3's 'Big City/Drive' EP. This is the instrumental version. 'Drive (demo)' (also on the EP) is taken from the 'Recurring' demos too.

4). Another instrumental version of 'Drive' is on the 'Big City/Drive' 12" single. It's 'remixed' (e.g. the bass is slightly turned up in places), and after hearing the remix, it's hard to understand why Sonic's superb 'I Love You' remix wasn't included instead on the most commonly available issue.

5). Spiritualized performed and recorded a 24 minute version of 'Feel So Sad' at Piddington Studios, Northampton. Whilst the released single only lasts 13.20 the B-side, 'Glides and Chimes', was a part of the original recording (it was the first part). Similarly, one of the instrumental tracks from the 'Run' EP was also part of the super long 'Feel So Sad'. The end coda (where Jason sings Feel So Sad...' several times) - which is on the Spacemen 3 versions of 'Drive/Feel So Sad' and 'Feel So Sad (reprise)' is omitted on all of the released Spiritualized versions of the song, with the exception of the awesome JPSession version (1992) - old Peelie called the song 'Feel So Bad'.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have a promo cd single that has I Want You (album version) as track 1 and "Feel So Bad" as track two. I always assumed "Feel So Bad" was a typo. It's the 13 minute version ... this isn't the John Peel one you're talking about, is it?
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Hi Warmth,
Haven't heard of that promo: I know it's not an official release and I'd be surprised to hear it.

The reason for this is that the JPS version of "Feel So Bad" is segued onto the end of a beautiful version of 'Angel Sigh' (so it would need a long, dramatic fade-in - unusual on a promo single) and sounds absolutely nothing like any other version of 'Feel So Sad' - it's totally unlike the jaunty blues of the 'Recurring' version, or the orchestral majesty of the 'Feel So Sad [13.20]' single and is very heavily dominated by a constant, fuzzy wah-wah and some splendidly treated feedback and distortion. In short, it sounds very much like Spiritualized circa 1992 - February 1993, and nothing like the early and previously released versions of the song, live or recorded.

Basically, after reading The Complete Peel Sessions History (which included full details of the Spiritualized session) it transpired that Peel just fucked it up - the track was, and is, 'Feel So Sad' (hence it's title on the Medication EP and Complete Works I).

As a footnote, Spiritualized have played 'Feel So Sad' just once since 1993, in 1998 (although some people have suggested it was played again around this time)- at the Flux Festival with Steve Martland (it sounds like the 2nd Spiritualized single release), rather splendid.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Ian Goodchild wrote:Hi Warmth,
Haven't heard of that promo: I know it's not an official release and I'd be surprised to hear it.
I think it is. It's an Arista US promo IIRC. Haven't got one, but I've seen a few copies. They all say "Feel So Bad", but it is the regular 13 minute "Feel So Sad".

Love,

Ian
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

From http://www.quartzcity.net/spiritualized ... raphy.html

Feel So Bad [promo single]
CD Dedicated RDJ 62327-2 1992
Track Listing:

1. I Want You (LP version) 3:47
2. Feel So Sad 13:20
Dedicated promotional single

it's on ebay quite a bit, comes without a front slipcard case and the cd is blue.
mainline
New user

Re: Drive/Feel So Sad

Post by mainline »

Ian Goodchild wrote: Whilst the released single only lasts 13.20
:D :D I love the spiritualized message boards!
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

That's new info, for me - thanks. Weird too - was this put out after 'Feel So Sad' (or 'Run') single or just before 'Laser Guided Melodies'?
Dreamweapon
Known user

Re: Drive/Feel So Sad

Post by Dreamweapon »

[quote="Ian Goodchild"
5). Spiritualized performed and recorded a 24 minute version of 'Feel So Sad' at Piddington Studios, Northampton. [/quote]

Does this 24 minute version exist as a single piece anywhere then?

I too think that the Peel Session Versions of 'Feel So Sad' and 'Angel Sigh' are awesome, and really indicate an era of Spz taht I truly love and never fails to move me.

Superb (welling up now, just thinking about it!)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Feel So Sad

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ian Goodchild - a blast from the past.

Where are you now Ian? Did you like the last two Spiritualized albums?

Do you still have a trade only rule with Metal C90 tapes?

:lol:
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

no matter how many times I read about all those versions of Feel So Sad, it makes my head hurt!
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I want to hear that twenty four minute version.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

My god, that song brings back good memories from long ago.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Reading what Goodchild says you could probably make the extra-long version of that track easily enough by combining the tracks listed.

On the other hand, best to take anything The Goodchild said with a large pinch of salt - he was the master of claiming super obscure takes and mixes of various Spiritualized tracks over the years that only he had heard... and was unable to trade or share unless you happened to have something even rarer - on HQ Chrome Cassette format.

Hence the reason for my oft-repeated claim about the mythical Spiritualized cover of 'Wild Thing' over the years... :wink:
O P 8
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

Just stumbled across this recent blog article with some 1991 live recordings and an NME clipping from the time, in which our friendly Spaceman talks about... the original 24 minute version of Feel So Sad!

http://fringeontop.com/2015/02/22/spiri ... buzz-club/
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

good spot and interesting interview.

wish I'd seen them live back then. can't quite recall the first time I saw them but it was definitely after lgm came out.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Is it sacrilege to say I prefer the clipped version at the start of side two on Recurring?? Its the version I heard 1st and sometimes small really is beautiful, don`t dislike any of the various other versions or anything , just prefer that one version, I remember a friend at the time, who was a big Spaceman fan dissing it as `too Simon & Garfunkilly`!!! :lol:
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

“I Want You”/ “Feel so (Sad)” 13:20 version; (listed as “Feel so Bad” on Compact Disc); RCA USA Promo Only 1992

I have this example as a USA RCA/ dedicated BLUE LABEL Promo CD. The Insert reads correctly as "Feel so Sad"
Attachments
RCA/dedicated w/ "Feel so BAD" on disc; the insert is printed correctly; stock photo
RCA/dedicated w/ "Feel so BAD" on disc; the insert is printed correctly; stock photo
Spiritualized-I-Want-You-351840.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 4758 times
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

John Peel called it Feel So Bad when they did that first Peel session...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

mc wrote:Just stumbled across this recent blog article with some 1991 live recordings and an NME clipping from the time, in which our friendly Spaceman talks about... the original 24 minute version of Feel So Sad!

http://fringeontop.com/2015/02/22/spiri ... buzz-club/
I'm pleased to be proven wrong - save this page as it won't happen often. :wink:

Kudos too to the absent Ian Goodchild. Come back Ian all is forgiven...

Fascinating (?) to know the Ed Bueller was on joint-production duties on 'Feel So Sad'. This must have been just before he was working on the early Suede singles and album.
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

even if Jason said something doesn't mean it happened :)
he has been known to embellish things
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I miss Ian and $26 around here. When I was into trading live recordings Ian sent me his list and it was the greatest thing ever. Two smart, funny people even if they ruffled a few feathers from time to time.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

SpaceLine wrote:I miss Ian and $26 around here. When I was into trading live recordings Ian sent me his list and it was the greatest thing ever. Two smart, funny people even if they ruffled a few feathers from time to time.
I don't know, your lists are pretty impressive as well.

And I agree on $26 and Ian, as feather rufflers should (almost) always be applauded.
Dreamweapon
Known user

Post by Dreamweapon »

semisynthetic wrote:“I Want You”/ “Feel so (Sad)” 13:20 version; (listed as “Feel so Bad” on Compact Disc); RCA USA Promo Only 1992

I have this example as a USA RCA/ dedicated BLUE LABEL Promo CD. The Insert reads correctly as "Feel so Sad"

You see, maybe this is down to my naïveté, but I always though that Feel So Bad, was a cross reference to the Spacemen 3 song Feel So Good!
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

Dreamweapon wrote:
semisynthetic wrote:“I Want You”/ “Feel so (Sad)” 13:20 version; (listed as “Feel so Bad” on Compact Disc); RCA USA Promo Only 1992

You see, maybe this is down to my naïveté, but I always though that Feel So Bad, was a cross reference to the Spacemen 3 song Feel So Good!
I did not think very deeply at all on this one; I simply wished to show an example on RCA/ dedicated, with the "error" on the Disc itself. One certainly CAN "Feel So Bad" after MORE THAN ENOUGH of "Feeling So Good........" Pity.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus