Your defining musical moments

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Your defining musical moments

Post by runcible »

I often think about these. The moments that shaped your musical tastes and left you where you are now. I've ended up with 12.

1. The Beatles - She Loves You 1970?
I heard this on the radio and it was the first time I'd really encountered pop music as my parents were very much classical music based.

2. Led Zeppelin 2 - 1976
Some guy at school brought this in and I remember being really impressed although slightly over-awed. It sowed a seed.

3. Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant on Top of the Pops 1977
Without doubt the most important musical moment in my life. Everything changed from that point. My friends hated it, I sat there jaw agape at how incredible it was. Seeing that video clip now still sends shivers down my spine.

4. Buzzcocks - Fiction Romance 1977
Some big kids kept playing this at school and I kept hearing it coming out of their classroom during break but was too nervous to go in and ask what it was. I got someone else to ask, bought that album and played that track a million times.

5. Psychic TV - Godstar video on The Chart Show 1985
I'd not heard any psychedelic music before and this tripped out video blew me away. Far from typical PTV but a great song and a serious impact.

6. The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary video on Max Headroom 1985
Again the psychedelic music thing. I'd never heard any music by them before and this came on the telly - Ian Astbury and Billy Duffy looked so cool and the song still sounds awsome today as far as I'm concerned.

7. Spacemen 3 - Feel So Good (Walking With Jesus 12" b-side) 1987
A friend was into them and played me the 12" version of Rollercoaster which I found quite unpleasant and grating at the time (I changed my mind a little later!). To my amazement it faded out (after what seemed like a week) and went into this ultra blissful laid-back beauty that sort of changed my life.

8. New Order - Glastonbury 1987
See elsewhere on this board. I'd hardly heard any New Order before apart from Blue Monday. The magic mushrooms, the music, the lazer show. Jesus christ.

9. Butthole Surfers - live at Brixton Academy 1988
Thnaks to Norrin Radd I have a DVD of this gig. Nude dancer, sex change operation projection, endless strobes. Ultra psychedelic and outrageously heavy throughout. I'd seen them earlier in the year and it freaked me right out - this time I was mentally prepared and it blew my mind.

10. Spiritualized - Feelin' Just Fine (Head Full of Shit) live at the Mean Fiddler 1991
I've mentioned this loads of times. My greatest musical moment ever - I met God twice during Jason's wah-wah freak out and remember thinking 'this is it - there is nowhere else for music to go after here' and I could have happily died. A perfect moment.

11. Bardo Pond - The High Frequency in Play It Again Records 1996
I walked into spzretent's shop in Detroit and this was playing. I went straight up the counter and said 'what is THIS?!' Life changing moment.

12. The Flaming Lips - Psychiatric Explorations of the Fetus With Needles live at the Garage 1996
Ronald Jones guitar. The rest of the world vanished when he hit top gear. This was like Pink Floyd's Astronomy Domine with maximum distortion.

So because of this list I am what I am today...
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Your defining musical moments

Post by TheWarmth »

I attended Primal Scream's Chicago show for the XTMNTR tour with a friend of mine. I lived in Bloomington, Indiana at the time and whenever I would visit Chicago we would wind up partying our asses off. As usual, the Scream were on fire and played a great set, aside from the somewhat muddy sound of the venue, the Metro. After the show we went downstairs to the Smart Bar, which is attached to the Metro. We were nearly the only two people there. My friend pointed to a table across the way, where a tall dude and two girls were relaxing: "Isn't that the Throb??? Go talk to him." I introduced myself and congratulated him on a great set (the standard stuff). The other other thing I could think of to mention was the fact that I saw the band on the Vanishing Point tour in Guildford. I guess I figured that would impress him, seeing as I'm an American. Anyway, Throb wound up inviting us backstage and shennanigans ensued. We sat down on a couch next to Mani and spoke to him for a bit. I wandered into one of the private rooms where Kevin Shields was having a spliff with another guy, so I sat down and shared it with them. I must admit, I felt pretty badass. Bobby popped in for a split second, bouncing off the walls and out of his mind. Throb decided he wanted to do Goldschlager shots with us, since he'd never had it before (don't bother, it tastes like cinnamon and has tiny flakes of gold in it). Of course, Smart Bar didn't have Goldschlager, so Throb ordered two shots of Jack for each of us. I proceeded to get completely obliterated as the evening went on and wound up passed out in front of the club on the sidewalk. I woke up to a bouncer pouring a bottle of water on my head. Luckily, he was cool about it. That's the night that I decided I could never hack it on the road with the Scream. Had a freakin' blast, though!
Last edited by TheWarmth on Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

1. The Beatles- On the Ed Sullivan show first time in 1964. Blew my mind. Shame a bout all those screaming girls I thought.
2. Beatles- Abbey Road- simply becauase this was the first LP I ever purchased. It introduced me to a whole world outside of singles.
3. David Ruffin- My Whole World Ended 7". The first single I ever bought where I realized you could also hear the pain and emotion through music. Even though it was a top 40 single. Especially here in Detroit.
4. Getting my first AM/FM radio and finding all the album oriented rock stations that weren't driven by singles charts. Not sure how this will translate outside of N America.
5. Deep Purple w/ZZ Top Cobo Arena Detroit 1973. My first concert. I couldn't believe how cool it was that so many people were allowed to smoke dope w/o being hassled. And it was SO LOUD!
6. Buying Exile On Maint Street the day after going away to college in 1977. And I didn't want to leave my room. I just wanted to play this record over and over. It seemed like 4 different records. And I sent all my friends postcards using the full set of 12 that came with the original record.
7. For A Mere Song record shop Kalamazoo Michigan. The first trip to a used record shop. My life was forever altered after this. So much so I opened my own shop after graduating college.
8. UK Music mags- in 1979 or 1980 my parents went to visit friends in London and asked me if I wanted anything special. I said yes. PLease buy all the music magazines you see at a newsstand before you leave. They came back w/NME, MM and Sounds. I devoured them. And went on to but Dexys Searching, U2- Boy and UB40- Signing Off. These introduced me to a world I hadn't really explored before.
9. Opening a record shop and ultimately letting my employees determine the direction of the record shop. Realizing I was capable of employing people who knew more than me and not being afraid to listen to them. So we became one of a circuit of 5 or 6 independent record shops around the US that had our finger on the pulse of the whole British Indie scene. Which forged amazing releationships and friendships w/people that continue to this day even though the shop closed in 1997. Props to them.
10. Flaming Lips Christmas show 1994 when midway through the first track as soon a drums crashed at a certain point the entire venue lit up in millions(it seemed anyway) of christmas lights. I looked around and virtually the entire sold out crowd was grinning from ear to ear.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spzretent wrote:10. Flaming Lips Christmas show 1994 when midway through the first track as soon a drums crashed at a certain point the entire venue lit up in millions(it seemed anyway) of christmas lights. I looked around and virtually the entire sold out crowd was grinning from ear to ear.
I saw one of those shows - coincidentally on the same trans-Atlantic trip as my Bardo Pond moment - and that was an incredible moment. I too remember everyone in the audience smiling. How come there is no footage of that anywhere? The Christmas lights covered the back and sides of the stage as well as being above the band to some extent. I don't think your estimation of a million fairy lights is exaggerating either - it was like a giagntic sheet of twinkling colour.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was SO GLAD you got that show. I was hoping it wasn't just a Christmas thing. I know the lights didn't make it to the UK shows unfortunately.
The Lips dont recognize much of their career pre-Soft Bulletin. Wayne's is too busy getting inside a balloon, playing w/fake blood and doing jingles for NBC-the TV network.
Shame really.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Good thread!

4 years old, 1980: Rockin' Sydney's "My Little Toot Toot" - I don't remember much except for some reason I really wanted this song. I picked it out in Wal-Mart, and I sorta remember the way the record racks looked. It's a goofy little zydeco song, and at one point they put in the sound of breaking glass, which really, really impressed me. Hearing a "real" sound in a song seemed totally crazy. I was telling this story to a music buddy recently,and pining for my old 45 of the song. He wandered into his music room, came out with it and handed it to me! So, this was the first piece of music that I ever claimed for myself and my first memory of music.

9 years old, 1985: Bruce Springsteen's Born In The USA album - My mom got into Springsteen because of the singles off of this album. She has a painting studio and I remember laying on the floor looking at this record while she painted. Carefully reading all the lyrics (a lot of them I didn't understand) and looking over the album artwork obsessively. The smell of oil paints, the sound of the record.... My dad wasn't around too much and a year later my folks would get divorced. Looking back on it, I can see that my mom got into Springsteen partially because he was a lot of things that my dad isn't. And over the years he's occupied this strange father figure place in my brain. Me and my mom stood in line forever at a mall to get tickets to his Tunnel Of Love tour, and that was my first concert. I guess this was when I started seeing how deep music can dive into your life. For a kid who HATED class, the line "we learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school" was pretty.

10 years old, 1986: Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare album - When I was a kid I was nuts about horror movies, and I subscribed to a magazine called Fangoria. Alice Cooper had a song on a Friday The 13th soundtrack, and there was an article about it and photos of Alice fighting with Jason. So when I found this Alice Cooper tape in a bargain bin and convinced my dad to buy it, I had no clue what it would sound like, only that this guy had something to do with movies that I liked. I was totally taken away by the cheesy horror vibe and parts of it genuinely spooked me. My parents hated it and this was when I sorta started down my own musical path. A few years later, Alice Cooper would be the first concert that I saw of my own choosing.

15 years old, 1991: REM: Life's Rich Pageant - I heard this about 6 months after Out Of Time hit really big, and up to this point all I knew of REM was Shiny Happy People which I deeply hated. But a friend played Pageant for me and I fell for it pretty hard. It's kind of a weird album, with odd little snippets of things and filler to pad it out because they were short on songs, but it actually worked in its favor. Then I started getting more of their stuff and for a long time they were my favorite band. But the main reason they are still important to me is because they functioned as an rosetta stone for underground rock. Like Nirvana, they were good about citing their influences and championing other bands. Living in the woods of East Texas, it was hard to find out about bands like The Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, Wire, and a ton of other bands that REM covered or mentioned in interviews. And that's really when I started realizing that there was a vast amount of music, not just the stuff on the radio. I started becoming a true music geek around then.

16 years old, 1992: Lollapalooza - This was the one with Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, Jesus & Mary Chain, The Jim Rose Circus Sideshow, Ministry, Lush. Not so important for the music, but I think this was the first show that I went to without a grownup present. Just me and a bunch of friends, a couple of which were old enough to drive. Staying up late the night before, watching the girls jump up and down on the bed while Jesus Built My Hotrod was playing and a strobe light was flashing.... I guess music felt like a community and a way of drawing people together, which I hadn't really experience before. It was with the same group of friends that got me into Spiritualized later. Let It Flow happened to come on some video channel and they all shushed and told me to listen to it. At first I thought it was sorta cheesy (whoa, whoa, whoa) but by the end of the video my brain was blown.

18 years old, 1995: marijuana - OH MAN MUSIC SOUNDS SO GOOD ON THIS DOES THIS SOUND GOOD TO YOU? OH MAN!!!

32 years old, 2008: vinyl - Hey, these things DO sound better than CDs.

After that I guess the stage was set. I'm constantly finding new musical treasures, but none of it really feels psychologically groundbreaking anymore.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Formative Years - Really lucky to have a dad with a brilliant record collection including the Stones, Led Zep, countless blues albums and The Who.
Pyschedelic Furs - Second ever gig at the Hammersmith Odeon and just remember the joy of my ears ringing afterwards for 2 days! Probably not that loud but as a young boy seemed out of this world.!
Spacemen 3 - Again lucky to have an older friend that played Come Down Easy. The start of a love affair that included just the 1 gig - Notre Dame Hall. Will never forget one of the best gigs ever and supported by Chapterhouse as well.
Primal Scream - Seeing them really early in their career at Camden Lock and watching Booby fall into the front row totally out of his mind. The start of a life-long love of rock n roll.
Gaye Bykers On Acid - Lucky enough to see an early gig at the Hammersmith Clarendon and then a supposed secret gig as Lesbian Dopeheads On Mopeds at the Sir George Roby. Start of a great love of great pyschedilc music!
Throwing Muses/Pixies - Joint bill at the Mean Fiddler and truely one of my best gig going moments ever. All night seemed perfect with the Pixies as one of the best live groups ever.
Julian Cope - Watching him tripping at the Town & Country CLub whilst climbing and often mounting(!) his purpose built mic stand. Seen virtually all his London gigs since and his rock n roll attitude never dims. Albums still great. Even gigs at the Barbican when as a an almost raconteur/showman have been very special.
The Sisters Of Mercy - Great Royal Albert Hall gig that was definitely their peak and whilst it has been downhill ever since this was a seminal moment that remains with me. Early records still hold something special.
Great ''Indie' gigs - Whilst on record many of these groups failed to live up to their potential some brilliant gigs from The Wedding Present, That Petrol Emotion and The Pooh Sticks.
The Jesus and Mary Chain - Again at the Town and Country Club and when they wanted to the gigs were totally incendiary. Often hit or miss but when on song truely exceptional.
Spiritualized -Never missed a London gig, at all the different venues. As many have stated, the early gigs were so loud, so bright(brilliant strobes) and so beautiful. Since then the acoustic gigs stand out. Another really special night at the Barbican that was so much better than expected. Last years initmate gig at the Concorde 2 in Brighton proved they can still rock. I guess that is why we are all here!!
Mogwai - Saw an early gig, Upstairs at the Garage, supporting Sonic. Huge power of noise and wonderful drones.
Sonic/Spectrum/EAR - As discussed elesewhere on the board always different but always somehow brilliant. Early gigs at ULU really special and much better than the subsequent release shows. Again a special EAR night at Upstars at the Garage mainly just for alienating so many people their that could not get the vibe. Again why we are here and special kudos to PK for always changing and always challenging us!! Absolutely gutted i am missing tonights Brighton gig.

Sorry for the self-indulgence but actually really enjoyed thinking about the great gigs above and definitely my defining moments. Like others have said, shame i don't get the same thrill from gigs as before but still searching for the next hit. Can't wait this year for Cheval Sombre, new Spectrum, any new Spiritualized, and hopefully something new to blow my mind.

Cheers

Rob
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Some nice moments there Rob. Nice to see the Gaye Bykers get a mention - one of the great live bands with a really intense stage presence. I was at that Notre Dame show too - my last Spacemen gig. Interestingly, in contrast to what you've said, the very early Spiritualized gigs (as in the 1st couple) were incredibly quiet! You could talk at normal volume and be heard. One I saw at London School of Economics had a cello player. Didn't last long though - by the time they got to ULU (where I took a friend, assuring him of a very mellow evening) an all out wall of noise was the standard approach!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Great thread!

I got a bit carried away with this. Sorry people. Some of these tracks are here because I think they oened doors to music genres/styles that I'd never really encountered before. so I think theres songs I love more (purhaps) but these allowed me to find them.

1. Ride - The great British Music weekend 1991 - Radio 1
I remember it vividly, Sat in my bedroom with my cassette radio paused waiting for the band to come on. Looking back now i don't know why I was recording it? I think back then I just like recording gigs from the radio because I liked how they sounded. anyway, back to the story, they started off playing 'seagull' and having never heard the band before I didnt know what to expect. Up until then my main musical influences where my brother (who always played Rattle and hum) and my friend Ryan who played my loads of great hip hop. The sound Ride made was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard in my life. A distorted wall of sound, but not in an eighties widdly guitar solo way, no this was messy, abstract and had a simplicity to it which blew me away. I still have the tape of this gig and It still makes me happy remembering that moment. The first band I truly discovered for myself.

2. Public Enermy - Welcome to the Terrordome
I'd heard loops alot in Hip hop but this was alot more dangerous. Again the backing track aside from the beat and the lyrics is a very abstract peice of music. Looping white noise, guitars and some kind of celestrial choir. amazing.

3. Jimi Hendrix - the Star Spangled Banner
Again sat listening to a documentry about Woodstock (around the time of the second one) and they had this voice over saying something like this - at 4 oclock in the morning to a crowd in a muddy field Jimi Hendrix took to the stage" and the first strains of that demented guitar solo came out the speakers. Astounding.

4. The Who - I can see for miles
A bizarre turn of events led me to have a copy of there greatest hits on vinyl. Hearing the destruction of My Generation was amazing but the hypnotic drone of this tune was the one for me.

5. Oasis - Cigarettes and Alcohol
Heard this on top of the pops. Back when almost every show had at least 3 indie bands on. This one was presented by Jarvis and up until then I'd been slightly dubious about the hype surrounding Oasis. I heard this and fell in love with it. From then on they we're my favorite band for agood number of years.

6. The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
Heard it before Oasis came on at Maine Road and new that it was one of the greatest Songs ever written.

7. Spiritualized - Electricity
It came free on a cd from Select magazine. Up to that point Ithe only other track I'd heard by them was also free on a tape from Select "srpread you wings" which didnt grab me at all (although now I love it). anyway, The track started and I remember thinking it was the most exciting peice of music I'd heard in a very long time. i love white noise conclusions to songs and this had it in droves.
Oasis were imploding, the Verve had released urban Hymns but this was somehow more raw and vital, plus the one note all the way through sealed it.

8. James Brown - Cold sweat (live)
A few years after this I got into buying alot of Funk comps. Doing the James Brown was the one with this track on. I think it may well be the greatest live recording of his whole career. Explosive and unrelenting for almost 13 minutes.

9. The Beta Band - Dry the Rain (live at the Electric Ballroom)
I can't remember the last time I listened to any of there albums, but there will always be a place in my heart for the first time I saw them live. It was best gig I had ever been to up to that point (and stil the best ever drawing with the first time I saw Spiritualized at Hammersmith). free taqullia being offered around by folk dressed up as mexican bandidos, Ole Jock Radio live, Artists painting on the stage as the band performed. Steve Mason playing guitar with a sword and complete Joy in the crowd. Top drawer.

10. Furry Lewis - good morning Judge
Hit me like a bomb when I heard it. Raw beauty and amazing lyrics.

11. Primal Scream- - Moving on Up
The first glimpse of how much I would go on to love gospel and blues. I rmember argusing how amazing it was with my best friend who thought it sounded like whitney houston?

12. Miles Davis - great expectations.
the first Jazz record I ever bought. Loved the Opium den vibe of this track.

::::::EDIT:::::::

13. The Stooges - 1970
The whole album is amazing but this song alone remains to me the best thing they have ever done. Pure energy.
Last edited by simonkeeping on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Seeing the Specials in 79 on Top of the Pops, discovering David Bowie in around 83, listening to Smell of Female by The Cramps in the common room at school in 84, The South Bank Show Velvet Underground documentary in 86, New Order at the Finsbury Park Supertent in 87 all leading to something of a year zero for me of 1988. Met up with an old school mate who I hadn’t seen for a few years who was off to see Swans at the Mean Fiddler in a week’s time and did I fancy going along? This was the first of a bunch of great gigs I went to that year, mostly in pubs and never anywhere bigger than the Astoria. We saw Swans, Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Loop, My Bloody Valentine, UT, Die Kreuzen, Ball, Primal Scream, Das Damen, Jim Foetus, AR Kane…All of these were blown away by seeing Spacemen 3 at Dingwalls at the beginning of January the following year, for a year or so it was like everything I had done before that day and everything I did after, kind of felt like a different person after that. Saw the Spacemen at Notre Dame Hall, Brentford Watermans and Reading festival after this gig, all great shows but never quite the same. The closest I have come to that night was seeing Spiritualized at The New Stage at Glastonbury in 04, the free-form ending to Smiles/Things Will Never be the Same will stay with me forever.
Last edited by nickh on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

runcible wrote:Some nice moments there Rob. Nice to see the Gaye Bykers get a mention - one of the great live bands with a really intense stage presence. I was at that Notre Dame show too - my last Spacemen gig. Interestingly, in contrast to what you've said, the very early Spiritualized gigs (as in the 1st couple) were incredibly quiet! You could talk at normal volume and be heard. One I saw at London School of Economics had a cello player. Didn't last long though - by the time they got to ULU (where I took a friend, assuring him of a very mellow evening) an all out wall of noise was the standard approach!
I remember the LSE gig, they were all sat in a semicircle if I recall correctly, someone heckled “do another Hendrix number” (or something like) after Anyway You Want Me and I am sure as shit they would have heard! ULU was a massive and welcome change.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

nickh wrote: I remember the LSE gig, they were all sat in a semicircle if I recall correctly, someone heckled “do another Hendrix number” (or something like)
It was one of the quietest most mellow gigs I can ever remember. I went with various people, one of whom had eaten a whole gramme of speed as they were expecting full on Spacemen 3. They sat there getting more and frustrated and chewing the insides of their mouth out before someone else shouted out really loudly in between songs 'more laid back PLEASE'. Must be on a recording somewhere.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Just one for me...suddenly deciding I would travel to London to see Afrika Bambaataa & His Soulsonic Force at the Hammersmith Palais in 1984, with two other wide-eyed and innocent mates. We were only 17 but that's a very young 17 when you live in Norfolk. You also didn't do gigs living there either. Apart from the University of East Anglia the only proper gig venue I knew about, the West Runton Pavilion, had been shut after a riot at a Toyah gig, of all things.

So this was a biiiiig deal at the time. We set off on the train leaving our worried parents behind, went the wrong way on the Tube trying to find the Palais, then when we got there we were virtually the only white people present!! We sat at the back in one of those circular sofas they used to have in the Palais, struggling to take it all in.

I recall that a pint of Fosters was an absolutely outrageous £1.50 and various gentlemen around us were smoking cigarettes of dubious origin....

It was so thrilling, and there began a lifelong passion for live music that was far and away the biggest reason why I moved to London three years later. Even now, in middle age and with a family to disract me, I still get to as many gigs as I can, including Metallica last night!
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

June 1993...

The The at Brixton Academy. First ever time there and the best gig i've ever seen at the best venue in London and i knew then that i'd have to go back several times. Matt was really liked a caged animal that night, a singing Steven Berkoff exacting every single emotion from his audience... Heartland, This Is The Day, Uncertain Smile, Love Is Stronger Than Death, Soul Mining... the list goes on.....Briliant.

And...

Glastonbury Festival... First ever sighting of a band call Spiritualized at the best ever Festival. I've been back there many times and flew to NYC to catch a Spaceman gig. Glasto 1993 was, for me, a very BIG defining musical moment.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

The bit of Cop Shoot Cop when the Spanish horn comes in after the chaotic noise, its like riding a storm then the calm comes. Fucking superb.
LUFC_SPACEMAN
Known user

Post by LUFC_SPACEMAN »

Michael Jackson - Bad - very early 90's

I had this on tape when I was 7/8 years old and used to absolutely love it. My Mum has an ultra embarassing home video of me dancing around the garden singing 'I'm bad you know it' with a massive beavis-like buffon and multi-coloured glasses. To my horror she put it on when my friends were round so I pretty much hate that album now!

Oasis - Definitely Maybe/What's The Story - 1995

Older brother influence really but I absolutely loved Oasis for about 10 years after hearing these records. I wanted to be Liam Gallagher so much between like 10 and 18 years old!

Beatles - Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite - 1996

I got one of those anthology tapes and this was my favourite song on it. I remember learning all the words and singing it to people at primary school!

Pink Floyd - 2002

The Wall, Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, The Final Cut, Wish You were here etc

I remember hearing these albums for the first time and wondering how the fuck my parents had never introduced them to me! I listened to nothing else for months.

Screamadelica - 2003

Simply my favourite smoking album ever. I used to drive around getting high and listening to this on repeat. Slip Inside this house, Higher than the sun, Don't fight it Feel it. Pure bliss! Then I listened to it on dids. :shock:

Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating In Space - 2004

I was reading NME's top 100 albums ever or something and this was top ten I think. Seeing as though I'd never heard of them and fancied some new music I popped to HMV during lunch at College, bought this and then put it on to listen to while doing some coursework. Needless to say I didn't get much done. It absolutely blew me away. I honestly couldn't believe how amazing this music was and how hadn't I heard it sooner?! That started my fascination with Spiritualized. Then I got LGM....Pure Phase....Royal Albert Hall....SPACEMEN 3!

The Perfect Prescription - 2004

The Perfect Prescription.

Aaaah

It truly is.
pharmakos
New user

Post by pharmakos »

1. ....and you will know us by the trail of dead at the QMU 2000(?)

Stone cold sober, driving and had been working all day, the first 3 songs of this gig were the single greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. It was there that I saw you, Mistakes and Regrets and Mark David Chapman. By the end of the gig Conrad and Jason were in the crowd, the amps all had guitars stabbed into them and the drums were floating around the room in 40 bits. I've seen them a few times since and they have never quite lived up to this. I was in a band about two weeks later.

2. My Bloody Valentine at Glasgow Barrowland July last year.

Quite simply the loudest thing I have ever heard. The Holocaust lasted half an hour and me and my mate braved it without the earplugs which had been provided. Nearly fried my brain right out of my head. For the next 2 days I shouted everything at everybody and simply wandered around with a glazed expression on my face, stunned that a gig could still affect me as much in my late 20s. I've loved them since I was young but seeing them just blew me away. I now have a set of the earplugs framed on my wall.

3. Six by Seven at King Tuts 1999(?)

Top band and excellent gig but it was during European Me that I glanced round the fairly sparce crowd and realised that everybody in the room was far more cool than I was. Not that this should be seen as important, but it convinced me to cut off the dreadful Thurston Moore/Lou Barlow haircut that I had, lose the glasses and but a decent jacket. I lost my virginity a couple of months later. Thanks Six by Seven.

4. 7/7/97

The only kid in Bellshill waiting outside Woolworths to buy Vanishing Point by Primal Scream. To this day my favourite album ever and finally killed the Britpopper in me.

5. Mogwai at T in the park 2001(?)

My mates ears were bleeding by the end of this. First trip.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

Nice thread. in order of age

1) early 80's - hearing AC/DC highway to hell - cant say i like them anymore
2) 11 years old 1984 - hearingg war album u2 - see above
3) 12 years old Bro bringing home pirate copy of New order Power, corruption and lies with Low life on the othwer side, blew my mind no long after brotherhood came out then substance, favourite band ever since no matter what music I've been into
4) Jesus and Mary chain some candy talking 1986 - heard it on john peel had to find out who these guys were. Forgot then darklands came out then went back and discovered phsycho candy- still love them to this day and hoping for some new material soon.
5) Primal scream live at the dial - derby - 1988 ish 1st ever gig only went casue bobby g was ex mary chain, more memorable fo rthe fact it was 1st gig than the actaul music, this is prior to screamadelica
6) Mary chain gig and new order gigs both 89 my 2 favoutire bands and to actaully see them live at 16 - just amazing
7) hearing playing with fire - spacemen 3 instantly one of my favoutire bands, went back and bought perfect prescription - perfect indeed
8) Stone Roses gig 1990 spike island - not so much the gig but was a total indie kid at the time and seeing a crowd of ravers watching a guitar band - started going to raves and legends in warrington
9) As well as the above New order owning the hacienda and legends so started getting into dance music and visited the hac took e's etc - new way of life and music
10) 1990 - hearing detroit techno for the 1st time derrick may juan atkins, amazing stuff
11) Spiritualized gig at derby warehouse 1992, great to hear guitar music can stil blow my mind, also 82 release of aphex twin selected ambient works
12) Hearing harder edged detroit of jeff mills and UR and drexcyia. 1993 visiting orbit in leeds and going for the next 10 years. also hearing gthe Berlin sound of basic channel. Also the artifical intellegence series on Warp all still great albums especailly b12 electro soma.
13) New Order reforming in 1998 and seeing them again in 2001 in manchester
14) 2004 - Animal collective supporting Mum at brighton. lat time new music really affected me, what a great bandAC are, glad to see they are now getting some interest, best live band around at the moment.
15) going to glastonabury - took my time going but went at last in 2004
16) seeing spectrum the other week in nottm. 1st time I've heard spacemen 3 songs in there raw format(never saw S3 live) and also great to see one of my heroes in such a small venue, reminds you of why you love music so much. Yes he played no new songs but so good to hear them old ones sung by a true orginator. loook forward to more

retro wise was discovering joy divsion after New Order. b4 the days of the internet it took me about 3 yeard of being into new order b4 i realised they were once joy division! and also velvet underground

Also john peel show like a lot of people was just an amazing experience week in and week out, always something intersting - will never be replaced
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

pharmakos wrote:4. 7/7/97

The only kid in Bellshill waiting outside Woolworths to buy Vanishing Point by Primal Scream. To this day my favourite album ever and finally killed the Britpopper in me.
Bellshill??? Erm... i live there too :shock: small world indeed... :D
pharmakos
New user

Post by pharmakos »

Laz69 wrote:
pharmakos wrote:4. 7/7/97

Bellshill??? Erm... i live there too :shock: small world indeed... :D
Certainly is. Clearly there's an underlying current of cool cats in Bellshill town. Amidst the Smackheads, Korn fans and neds, obviously.