Amazing Grace Track Order

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Prince Bishop
Known user

Amazing Grace Track Order

Post by Prince Bishop »

Alright, haven't posted much since I joined, but I found this article by accident and I wondered what people thought (apologies if it's been posted before, although i did a quick search and it was from a while ago)

I've always thought amazing grace was just alright, had some nice moments but not as good as most of the others. It never really occurred to me that the tracks don't really seem to be in the right order until I read this
I've never been much of a singles person; growing up in a town with no record store, rarely buying music on trips out of town, albums seemed like the natural choice to me. The longer the better, more bang for the buck and all that.

So as much as I've loved previous installments of Playing God, I won't be bringing in B-sides and the like to fill out Amazing Grace, Spiritualized's recent, relatively maligned album. I'm not actually aware of what they might be. And besides, the only real problem Amazing Grace has isn't the quality of the songs; it's that it has the misfortune of being possibly the worst-sequenced album I’ve ever heard.

I actually hated it on first listen; having the last five songs consist of four relatively quiet, slow songs and one more upbeat on killed the momentum the first half had built up stone dead, and putting the quasi-free jazz instrumental “The Power And The Glory” slap-bang in the middle didn't work either. Eventually I came to love all of the songs, and to get used to the order they were in, but still Amazing Grace just doesn't flow well. So I started fiddling around with it… All the original tracks are still present in my amended listing; they're just in a different order, so all you need to enjoy this version is a programmable CD player.

01. Rated X (originally track 10)

“Rated X” seemed like the biggest mistake on my initial hearing of Amazing Grace, starting with a good minute of what sounded like tuning up and ending with two minutes of the same thing. It was originally put directly before the similarly paced closer, which was idiotic. But the bit in between is beautiful, and the lines "So put your hand in my hand/And maybe we'll forget/That life had even started/Before our hands had met" are repeated in what will eventually be my closer. Even the tuning part makes sense if the song is a prelude to the record, rather than a break in the action. Plus the end lulls you into a peaceful calm, ready for...

02. This Little Life Of Mine (originally track 1)

…this to shatter. One of the most determinedly ugly songs Pierce has ever recorded, not loud necessarily, but ugly. I remember hoping the first time I heard this that his voice wouldn't sound like it does here for the rest of the album. It's important to keep “This Little Life Of Mine” near the beginning of the album as it is a statement of intent, highlighting the fact that even moreso than on past efforts Pierce is determined to resist outside interference in the way he leads his life, whether from God or man. The way he gleefully snarls "Ain't gonna take good care of it, baby, it's mine" recalls "The Twelve Steps" from Let It Come Down, and here again he insists that if he wants to ruin his own life, he should be allowed to.

03. Hold On (originally track 3)

The only track to keep it's original position, the burst of noise that opens this track fits in with the end of 'This Little Life Of Mine' but carries a very different message. Once everything subsides we find ourselves in one of the delicate ballads that populate a good third of Amazing Grace, and one of the tracks where Pierce could easily be using 'baby' literally to refer to his daughter. Here he's urging her to remember that "Death cannot take what you've already lost" and reminding her that "Hell's not below us, or Heaven above". This is easily Spiritualized's most anti-God album, and because Pierce has lost all fear of divine retribution, he wants us to focus on our lives here and now. After another quick burst, the song ends with a quiet final chorus.

04. She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit) (originally track 2)

Of course, not all of the songs here are about religion. The most succinct expression of Pierce's perennial drugs=love and vice versa school of songwriting, this is one of the songs that emphasizes doing what feels good whether it's right or not. Sonically it's a close cousin to Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space's 'Electricity', which means although it's pretty thrilling, it's also one of the lesser tracks here. The title is a nice pun on gruesome oldie “He Hit Me (It Felt Like A Kiss)”, though.

05. Lord Let It Rain On Me (originally track 7)

The most obviously anti-God track here. I'd hesitate to qualify Pierce as an atheist, as it seems he does believe in God; Pierce just doesn't like Him very much. In his stubborn resistance of God, especially in the end of the chorus (the defiant "I've got a little knowledge, Lord, I'm about ready now") Pierce reminds me a bit of the characters in Garth Ennis' Preacher series. That “Lord Let It Rain On Me” is also his most effective use of a choir in ages doesn't exactly hurt, either, and even if you're a believer the chorus is very hummable.

06. Cheapster (originally track 9)

Might as well toss in the other most explicit anti-God track here, Pierce joyfully sneering "You can lay the law out, baby, but I don't think I'll obey" over a great organ sound in this quick little rave up. Interesting in all the ways “She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)” really wasn't, even if I'm not sure what the title refers to. It's also includes the word "for-fucking-get" in the lyrics, which is worth bonus points.

07. Oh Baby (originally track 4)

The problem of balancing an album that, like Amazing Grace, consists of mainly songs belonging to one of two extremes, is that you don't just want to seesaw back and forth (although that does work); but if you do put all of the fast songs together, for example, you raise the momentum to the extent that you eventually wind up killing it. So coming down the homestretch we bring in the slow-but-loud one; “Oh Baby” being another possible missive to his daughter, another attempt to prepare her for life in the cruel world. The wordless end is also the most sweeping, epic thing on the record, slowly receding finally into the calm of our next track.

08. Lay It Down Slow (originally track 11)

“Lay It Down Slow” was a fine closer to the original version of Amazing Grace, a compassionate, minimal (by Pierce's standards) song about sharing your pain with loved ones to reduce it's sting. It also concludes with the second finest guitar work on the album, not roaring or surging as with most Spiritualized tracks, but simple and beautiful. But our closer has to be where it is, and “Lay It Down Slow” doesn’t, so instead it serves as an introduction to the final quarter of the album.

09. The Power And The Glory (originally track 6)

The only instrumental here, the same basic progression over and over, on guitar and horns, underneath a squalling bed of horns. The title is, of course, sarcastic. Didn't work in the center of the album, but here it leads into the last two tracks nicely.

10. Never Goin' Back (originally track 5)

A mutant cousin of the Stooges' “I Wanna Be Your Dog”, the most rocking song here, and the one that most fulfills the pre-release 'garage rock' tags. It's another gleeful one, like “She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)” and “Electricity” it's about a woman Pierce probably shouldn't be hanging around with, who "should have been sold with a warning attached", but he'll be damned if he cares. A last burst of energy for Amazing Grace before the final track.

11. The Ballad Of Richie Lee (originally track 8)

This song is almost unutterably sad. Every time I take the bus to school by myself the lines "My soul is weak/My eyes are blind/The fire that drove me on/Is nothing more than dust and ash/The day my friend was gone" and that falling guitar line get lodged into my head. Even when I'm having a good day this song, and especially Pierce's none-more-wasted delivery of the lyrics, just reduces me to nothing. The lines "So put your hand in my hand/And maybe we'll forget/That life had even started/Before our hands had met" are reprised to a different melody and the third recurring element on Amazing Grace, besides agnostic defiance and fatherly advice, rears it's head: a desire for oblivion in the face of sorrow. Unlike Ladies And Gentlemen..., however, that takes the form not of heroin addiction, but shared grief. Despite the slight spark of hope here, though, you can't follow “The Ballad Of Richie Lee” with anything. Recovery time is needed.
Taken from http://www.stylusmagazine.com/articles/ ... -grace.htm

Well I haven't had a chance to listen to it in this order yet, I will do when I get home and see what I think. Some of the points sound good to me, I think Rated X would be a really nice opener, as I've always loved it but it's always seemed a bit lost in the quiet of the back of the album. I don't know if lay it down slow would work anywhere but the end though. Have to wait and see.

andy
toomilk
Known user

Re: Amazing Grace Track Order

Post by toomilk »

Well, if you go according to the Amazing Grace 3 EPs, the tracklisting is:

Live (Amazing Grace EP1)
180 gms 12" & Box (SANEV220)

1. Cheapster
2. Hold On
3. Never Going Back
4. The Power & The Glory

Love (Amazing Grace EP2)
180 gms 12" (SANEV221)

1. Lord, Let It Rain On Me
2. Oh Baby
3. Rated X
4. Lay It Down Slow

The Universe (Amazing Grace EP3)
180 gms 12" (SANEV222)

1. She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
2. This Little Life Of Mine
3. The Ballad Of Richie Lee

I think I actually prefer this order to the LP.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

Other episodes of "Playing God" see them include B-sides and EP-tracks from the era of the albumn in question.

So, how about we drop Never Goin' Back and insert Sad Days Lonely Nights insert :D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Zenchan wrote:Other episodes of "Playing God" see them include B-sides and EP-tracks from the era of the albumn in question.

So, how about we drop Never Goin' Back and insert Sad Days Lonely Nights insert :D

Newbie here ,but a long time lurker,so hello to anyone out their,
Never Goin`Back is probably my fav.track on AG so theirs no way I would drop it ,always liked AG, If anything I would have dropped Lord Let It Rain On Me (although It does contain some cool lyrics) never really liked the big chorus ,have to think about the track order thing ,don`t doubt J. gave it a lot of thought and has his reasons for it being sequenced the way it is.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Welcome aboard Niamhm... The Lord Let It Rain On Me debates provokes such mixed reaction - it's a love or hate song. I love it but many don't. Having said that Cheapster is the track that sticks at as a classic if I'm honest.

Sorry - didn't even mention the track order, but I don't have any issue with it!
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Cheapster is the track that sticks out for me too.

There's nothing earth shattering about it, I think I like it because it seems effortless and fun, which aren't qualities that one normally associates with Spiritualized.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

niamhm wrote:
Zenchan wrote:Other episodes of "Playing God" see them include B-sides and EP-tracks from the era of the albumn in question.

Never Goin`Back is probably my fav.track on AG so theirs no way I would drop it ,always liked AG, If anything I would have dropped Lord Let It Rain On Me
yes.. lord is a parody on spiritualized by spiritualized but never going back belongs to the better half of AG and sad days is great so:

never goin back
hold on
cheapster
oh baby
sad days and lonely nights
this little life of mine
lay it down slow
she kissed me (it felt like a hit)
the power and the glory
the ballad of richie lee
rated x
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

Rated X is my favourite on Amazing Grace by far. I think that the main problem with the tracklisting is that the pace of the second half of the record (with the exception of Cheapster, which I think belongs earlier in the album anyway) almost grinds to a halt.

I prefer the EP tracklisting where it kind of ramps up a bit towards the end again.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

I really like these new tracklistings. I'll need to give these orders a go!

Generally I don't challenge an album's track order as usually I just become accustomed to the way the artist has positioned each track. However, with Amazing Grace, surely This Little Life of Mine, with it's 10 seconds of feedback at the intro, should only be at the start. As for Lay It Down Slow, surely it can go nowhere but at the very end of the album?
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

radioshack wrote:However, with Amazing Grace, surely This Little Life of Mine, with it's 10 seconds of feedback at the intro, should only be at the start.
It could be the start of the second half of the album, though :D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

although i think amazing grace is far from perfect, i dont think altering the running order would really change it all that much. they are all pretty short songs. its hardly moving cop shoot cop to an opener is it? although i must say i quite like the idea of rated x as an opener.. noodling away, easing in, and plucking the song out of the ether..

slightly off topic, does anyone know what the song titles 'rated x' and 'cheapster' (coincidentially, both are what i would consider to be the 'classics' from AG) refer to? neither are referred to in the lyrics. isnt rated x a miles davis song or something?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Personally, I think the tracklisting of Amazing Grace is perfect and it's one of my favorite Spiritualized albums. People can call it derivative or Spiritualized-by-numbers, but I think of it as their postmodern album, where it's more about boiling down Spiritualized music to its spectral essentials than breaking new ground.

I like the off-hand, whip-lash inducing track order. It seems so much more casual and down to earth, while the previous three albums had all very fussy (not necessarily a bad