n. y Archives

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

bunnyben
Known user

n. y Archives

Post by bunnyben »

Neil Young's manager Elliot Roberts has confirmed that the star's long-awaited 'Archives' collection will be released this June.

The set, which spans 10 discs and is available on Blu-Ray, DVD and CD, will be released on June 2.

Roberts made the announcement during a panel discussion at South By Southwest festival in Austin, Texas yesterday (March 21), reports Billboard.

Young has been working on releasing the anthology for nearly two decades. The set features music from throughout his career, including a wealth of unreleased material.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
LunarTunes
Known user

Re: n. y Archives

Post by LunarTunes »

flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Too many previously released tracks.

Who the hell is going to buy this that doesn't already own the regular albums?
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Me.

On Blu-ray.

:mrgreen:
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

it costs so much! and it says part 1, how many people can seriously afford this? and why are there more discs for dvd/blu ray than on cd? do we all need to have state of the art sound systems to enjoy the music? what if someone only has a £20 cd ghetto blaster thingy from argos? can't they enjoy it all too? maybe it will be on a torrent for those without dvd players hooked into the sound system :wink:
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Well, $100 for a 9 or 10 disc set doesn't seem too expensive.

One of the extra bluray discs is the movie, Journey To The Past, which I don't really care about anyways.

I don't know whether I'm going to bother getting it or not. I LOVE Neil Young, but I just don't know how much stuff is going to be on it that will make it worth $100. So much of it is already released!
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

At least you can buy the discs individually, it seems. So you can cherry pick an era you don't have much of.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I listened to all my 14 ny records in january but..

including previously released studio versions is complete bullshit

24/96 is good for when you are mixing stuff or for people who are very Young (!) or never been to a good show or played in a band.. there is about one albums worth of interesting studio outtakes or alt mixes?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

angelsighs wrote:At least you can buy the discs individually, it seems. So you can cherry pick an era you don't have much of.
This is the only factor that is keeping me from being really pissed off about this. I already have the two live albums that he released last year separately and I have the Buffalo Springfield boxset. Add to that all of the Neil Young albums I own and that's a huge chunk of the box already.
sngbk
New user

Post by sngbk »

There isn't much incentive to buy Volume 1, but I think I might buy it just to support it so that there will be a Volume 2.

The 2nd volume might have the original Tonight's The Night (if you're familiar with Neil Young lore, there was dramatically different and superior version he played for his friends that was never heard again,) Chrome Dreams (recently bootlegged from the acetate but there might be additional tracks from the recording sessions and the quality will be better) and Homegrown (unreleased but many songs turned up over the years.)