Twelve - Krautrock from Six. By Seven frontman...

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

runcible
Site Admin

Twelve - Krautrock from Six. By Seven frontman...

Post by runcible »

After a recent email exchange with Six. By Seven front man Chris Olley I ended up with an excellent CD/DVD by the band – I know a few people here are fans. As a bonus I got a solo CD he’s done under the guise of ‘Twelve’ which is a Krautrock/drone project. I stuck it on the other night as I was pottering about after supper and was completely hooked about half way into the first track. The CD carries on with the same quality throughout and is quite excellent. ‘Proper’ Krautrock rhythms, ambience and satisfying keyboards/guitar with a somewhat laid back approach. I investigated a little further and found, to my amazement, that he’s made 6 albums of Twelve although he tells me the style does vary.

This music is so good I had to share it with people here. I know Neil of Eat Lights Become Lights will be smiling knowingly as he reads this because there is a connection (and I asked Chris straightaway if he knew ELBL), and Twelve’s music is not dissimilar. I’ve had this album keeping me company most of the weekend and again on the iPod on the way to and from work since. It’s so easy to get lost in.

After asking loads of annoying questions Chris sent me a discography which is here. Pressings seem to be in pretty small quantities.
Twelve first album 2002 (silber records) SOLD OUT CD
Twelve: Be careful What You Don't Wish For snsm 2006 CD
Twelve: 03 2007 CD
Twelve: Houston We Have No Problem Download only 2008
Twelve: Houston We Have No Problem Download Part II 2008 100 limited edition signed CD
Twelve: 03 2009 Download only

There is a little more info on the Six. By Seven website as well as access to the albums:
Six. By Seven

There is also a MySpace page so you can hear a little of what I’m on about. The album I have is called ‘Twelve: 03’ and I really can’t recommend it enough to anyone who enjoys Kraftwerk, Neu!, Harmonia, Cluster etc.
Twelve

Sorry to warble on but this stuff really got me excited - I hope others feel the same way.

(Cheers Chris!)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: Twelve - Krautrock from Six. By Seven frontman...

Post by MODLAB »

Enjoying that 12.

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Board member Olliemor is a big fan, he tends to post stuff about all Six by Seven projects up on his Myspace page.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

sunray wrote:Board member Olliemor is a big fan, he tends to post stuff about all Six by Seven projects up on his Myspace page.
I started out with love for Six By Seven, and then along came Twelve, and also Fuck Me USA (a mixture of Suicide and Underworld).
Its all great stuff. 03 is my favourite of the Twelve albums. 03 is where it all became proper Kraut.
The first and second albums were a bit more experimental (particularly the first), and less cohesive, with the second album featuring some tracks that could easily have featured on a 6by7 album.
If I was to recommend stuff, start with 03 and then get the 3 albums after that. 03 Part II was only released yesterday!

(P.S. my Myspace page has been lying a bit fallow lately due to me not having much spare time.)
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Just come across this post. For those interested the last "12" release is now with us from our Krautrock friend in the North.
Top stuff
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eat-lights-Become-lights/225847625393
Fuzzhead
Known user

Post by Fuzzhead »

Thanks for this!

I'd no idea about Twelve but have been listening on their MySpace site and have been knocked out by it.

I've just ordered 03 from the website.

What with this coming - and the stunning Higamos Hogomas album which I bought today - my ears are being very well treated.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Excellent stuff - you'll love 03 for sure. It got a good blast over the last weekend at mine again. Enjoy!
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

For those not sure, the new Twelve album- 03 Pt2 is in my opinion one of the best Krautrock records out there and really breaks new ground for the genre. BUY IT!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Is that a download only thing? I know there has been a few of those. I'm wading through another couple of Twelve albums at the moment which, although different, have a similar these running through them. Lots to get lost in.
They Transmit
Known user

Post by They Transmit »

Yea 03 pt2 is the brand new download album, well worth checking out if you are digging Houston and 03 pt 1
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Picked up "03" and the Fuck Me USA cds. 03 is decent but i preferred Fuck Me USA...a real good party album i reckon. Heavy on the Suicide influence with hints of The Stooges, Spacemen and Underworld...play LOUD :D

As an aside, they came in the flimsiest packaging: an ordinary brown envelope. Not a padded one, no pieces of cardboard to offer protection. The envelope was in tatters when it arrived, how the cds weren't in bits is a miracle, not even a cracked case. I know they were only a fiver each but surely a padded envelope wouldn't have been too much to ask for. :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
chrisolley
New user

Post by chrisolley »

runcible wrote:Excellent stuff - you'll love 03 for sure. It got a good blast over the last weekend at mine again. Enjoy!
Hi Mark,

Hope you are well. I would have e mailed you but lost address due to e mail change so have signed up to the forum again but just noticed I did it in my own name. I've put the Twelve:03 album that you liked up as a free download on my new website and also six.byseven:04 album. I wondered if you might spread the word for me on this forum as I am sure quite a few people might 'get it'! Drop me an e mail and I'll send you a link.

CHRIS.
chrisolley
New user

Post by chrisolley »

great..both records are here

http://sixbyseven.bandcamp.com/

Hope you enjoy them.

I just swapped over to Virginmedia, Mark! Do it and spare yourself the grief. BT offer one thing and give you another but still charge the same. I demand an oil change. :shock: