Such a shame

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Hedspace
Known user

Such a shame

Post by Hedspace »

Anyone a fan of Talk Talk / Mark Hollis

Talk Talk have been on rotation of late, Spirit of Eden etc
tracks like I believe in you, April 4th, happiness is easy, too many too mention that make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end each time I hear them.
Interesting back story to them, worth checking out aswell as Mark Hollis releasing a self titled album I wasnt aware of until lately.
Received it yesterday in the post.
think you might want to hear this
Throwing it out there as I think a few heads on here might like it if they havent got to it in the meantime.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... foxqqjldje

where is he now?
scratch
Known user

Re: Such a shame

Post by scratch »

I bought that the same week it was released.. not as good as laughing stock but still a decent companion to the three last talk talk records.
think I read an interview back then in which he said he didn´t want to release any more music and that it was his farewell record.
- obviously not a marketing ploy since it´s been eleven years...
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Such a fantastic and smart album. Very minimalist in nature and it sounds almost like a "modern music" album. Lots of silence and pauses that speak volumes.

I especially like "Watershed." It's not everyday that you get a song with a 21/8 time signature...
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

All albums mentioned are terrific and should be required listening for any fan of Spiritualized's orchestrational side.

Sometimes they remind me of a less dramatic Sigur Ros, but they're really in a world of their own. Gorgeous, sweet swells of sound.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep big fan here.

for me Spirit of Eden is the one- certainly in my top 10 albums of all time. It's so beautiful its virtually luminous. Like you say flamingrev the way the sound swells is just perfect. The first minute or so of Cop Shoot Cop always reminded me of a certain bit from that album.. can't place which song right now..

Laughing Stock, while beautiful just isn't quite on the same level (the sublime New Grass aside)
The s/t solo record.. can't quite get into that one. It's almost too minimalistic for me
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Same here, Spirit of Eden would be a favorite of mine.

There is something, for me anyway, that sounds like the music grew out of the ground itself. You can smell the earth on it
Most probably why the cover art of Talk Talk albums are what they are.

excellent music