SpacemanRob versus $26

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

twentysixdollars
Known user

SpacemanRob versus $26

Post by twentysixdollars »

I accidentally deleted Rob's last missive in the Radiohead thread; as penance I give him this opportunity to riff on me to his little heart's content.
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

For me as always the answer is to move on. As in other previous threads i struggle with the pious nature of deities suchs as Brian Wilson and i struggle with MOR cliques which sometimes turn me off. I can understand the Sprawl's issues and it sometimes seems to me people are scared.
If we throw away the blinkers we can discard the usual shite and we can move on to tomorrow.
Sometimes when recent threads are so self-congratlory it becomes obscene and this is never a way to enjoy.
$26 - often i enjoy debates but sometimes i resent the way a cheap insult can become a sign off and equally that many times music for me becomes a feeling and doesn't need an endless diatribe on why you should or shouldn't love a particular group.
This week Devendra Banhart, Flying Saurcer Attach and re-releases by The Telescopes excite me.
Man, i am scared that sometimes you have become conservative by age and this is any mans biggest fear.... Please prove this is wrong...
Rock on
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

However i do believe that music is quickly becoming more conservative unless you acitively look for it. Even Gensis, JC(Roger - this hurts) and many others seem bereft of where is next.....
Dig deeper and the rewards have to be bigger. M83, VERY late for this board, are interesting, Sunn O)) CONTINUE to excite, and i am excited about the Magnetic Fields live dates but where else....
Man, i am pushing you to break the chains of conformity but i agree it is becoming harder......
Runcible recommends Clinic which excite and i am excited by Campaq Velocet BUT......
All i know is that the conservative(big 'c' or little 'c') continue to offend.....
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

M83, american release date july 24th 2004. sorry i'll try harder next time.

xxxshonnxxx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

SpacemanRob wrote:However i do believe that music is quickly becoming more conservative unless you acitively look for it. Even Gensis, JC(Roger - this hurts) and many others seem bereft of where is next.....
Dig deeper and the rewards have to be bigger. M83, VERY late for this board, are interesting, Sunn O)) CONTINUE to excite, and i am excited about the Magnetic Fields live dates but where else....
Man, i am pushing you to break the chains of conformity but i agree it is becoming harder......
Runcible recommends Clinic which excite and i am excited by Campaq Velocet BUT......
All i know is that the conservative(big 'c' or little 'c') continue to offend.....
I tried listening to that Sunn O)) album and found it to be a boring dirge. Great album cover, though.

I've been a Clinic fan for a long time ... saw them live once and thought it was spectacular, but with this new album, Winchester Cathedral, they are simply treading water.

The Magnetic Fields ... their complete and utter lack of sincerity irritates me. Yes, the songs are good ... no, there is no soul in them.

Also, just because M83 were just mentioned for the first time here doesn't mean that we just discovered them.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Magnetic Fields? Devendra Banhart? CAMPAQ VELOCET???

Shouldn't this be in the "worst new bands" thread?

:lol:

OK, only Banhart is technically 'new' but he is in fact 47 and the love child of Marc Bolan and Jessica Fletcher.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

You are absolutely correct Rob. The only good music is stuff I haven't heard of, and furthermore can't buy at any of my usual music retailers, and wouldn't have time to listen to even if I could be bothered. Everything I do like is bunk.

Also, got steered toward sunn o))) by someone at popbitch a few days ago. I listened to a bit but it made my computer crash. It sounded like the mighty EARTH, but better - well 15 seconds of it did, at least.

(BTW still haven't dubbed that tape, but will do (sorry, lot going on here)).
SpacemanRob
Known user

Post by SpacemanRob »

Don't know about release dates but M83 work. I seem to be on a Robert Wyatt trip now which feels great and i have a nice copy of the new Clinic album and again it works. 'Winchester Cathedral' rocks. Equally i feel entranced again EAR's Millenium Music so once again it shows many things make no sense except for the euphoria of great music.
Rock on....