Spiritualized are the best!!!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sparta72
Known user

Spiritualized are the best!!!

Post by sparta72 »

Just wanted to say that the Spiritualized performance on Jools Holland Cool Britannia DVD is ace . Any fans out there wanting to see a top quality performance by the band as they were around '97/98 should go & buy. Also the argument that Spiritualized should have quit the the game after LAGWFS is frankly load of old cobblers. They are still a great live band , I saw them at Glastonbury and they rocked. The last album had some great moments on it and I for one don't want Jason to retire or stop making music. I thought this site is supposed to be about fans writing in ????? There feel much better for getting that off my chest!! :D :D
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

What a great post! Bless you, Sparta/Simon. It can get quite jaded and cynical round here sometimes, so something like this is like blast of fresh air.
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

fresh air is good - cigarettes too
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i suppose life would not be good without either. eeww, sorry that was bad. i agree, thanks for posting something positive.

i mean i can understand why folks would not like his later music, but come on, it's defo better than the majority of music coming out today. gimme a break. besides 'lay it down slow' is absolutely beautiful.

xxxshonnxxx
espiritualidad
Known user

Post by espiritualidad »

spiritualized...supernatural
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

I had AG on for the first time in a while today makin breakfast. It was great. Had some nice roasted pepper sausages with some nice fresh crusty bread.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
vigil
Known user

well well well...

Post by vigil »

thanks espiritualidad!!!
that's fuckin dope!
what a crazy ass picture...were you behind the camera?
pictures of completely spaced out people are cool, and there's always somebody that gots to push the button...i love it

paz.

p.s.
could you send me a copy to my e-mail address?
it's such a beautiful photo
still falling
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Amen! There's too many jaded old ass-heads around here. Admittedly, there is a lot of crap out there to listen to, but Spiritualized beats most of it hands down. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to some Electric Prunes. (After all, they are one of the only ORIGINAL purveyors of true psychadelia and...Oh shit, they don't make music anymore, do they? (Aren't they in their seventies by now?) Oh well, that's probably alright with some of the harsher critics around here...
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Ahh, the Prunes.

Has a young band been so Royally fucked by a manager since (not counting Johnothan King :oops: ).

Two decent songs (get me to the world, too much to dream), an advert, and then goodnight, Vienna. How many line ups?

APPARENTLY (still getting round to checking), the wooosh sound on Angel Sigh by Spiritualized, is sampled from a woooooosh sound on Luvin' by the Electric Prunes.

That Stockholm record sounds interesting...is it? Tell me.
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

will this do? wrote: APPARENTLY (still getting round to checking), the wooosh sound on Angel Sigh by Spiritualized, is sampled from a woooooosh sound on Luvin' by the Electric Prunes.
Quite correct. I was present at Angus' Northants studio when they made the sample. From vinyl, no less.
will this do?
Known user

Post by will this do? »

Wasn't doubting the truth behind the story, just reminding myself to compare and contrast...just can't bring myself to get the record out - it is 80% horrible horrible horrible.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Starfish wrote:I was present at Angus' Northants studio when they made the sample.
You witnessed Spiritualized studio session?????
Tell us all about it!!!!!!
Starfish, what were YOU doing there????
roger plywood
Known user

Post by roger plywood »

orbital - where do you buy your roasted pepper sausages. that sounds like good shit.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

They're excellent rodger. Asda were doin 'em in a 'barbecue' range of nosh. They're a top banger. I was gettin them an just doin them with nice bread or some buttery mash.
Delightful.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Starfish wrote:
will this do? wrote: APPARENTLY (still getting round to checking), the wooosh sound on Angel Sigh by Spiritualized, is sampled from a woooooosh sound on Luvin' by the Electric Prunes.
Quite correct. I was present at Angus' Northants studio when they made the sample. From vinyl, no less.
No shit? You actually saw Spiritualized record? Please, tell us what it was like! I had the weirdest dream last night. I was opening for Spiritualized, and their bass player skipped town an hour before they were supposed to go on, and Jason asked me to sub. Of course I did, but as a condition of my playing with them, I had to wear a fuzzy animal suit like the rest of the band. I also had to learn all the songs backwards in less than an hour. I pulled it off though, and Jason asked me to join the band permanently. :D
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

this could be a long story, but I'll see how it goes...

In the early days, Jason wanted me to run some sort of fanclub/information service and invited me to Angus Wallace's studio shortly after Feel So Sad was released to try and get something orgainised.
Kate picked me and my girlfriend up from the station in her Beetle and we spent the day milling around the studio during the LGM sessions while the rest of the band (who had been to see Kraftwerk the night before) hung around, mostly in the garden, waiting for something to do.
It was the day Jason and Angus laid down the Prunes sample and that's about all they did for the whole day. it was quite an eye opener to see how little can be achieved in one day in the studio.
Needless to say, nothing came of the fanclub idea. We bounced a few ideas around, but JP wanted a fanclub, an information service and a band correspondence address - as three separate entities, rather than a single all-encompassing one. He wanted someone to take it on to relieve him of the hassle, but he also wanted to keep total all-seeing control over it. I can understand his reasons for that but it also explains why it never got off the ground.

Angus had a real cute lil dog called Pickles, who was pretty much the liveliest thing around that day.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Thats a nice story.
How did Jason find you? How it started to roll??
I understand that those things are silly to ask, but why not - it's a chance to fill the (empty) space. (Space between releases and concerts.)
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

I'd met Jason when the Spacemen played Chester and in the early days of spiritualized he'd invite me backstage at the gigs. It kind of took off from there. Met the 'charming' Gerald Palmer then as well. He looked like a bouncer.