Luke Haines

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Luke Haines

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone else here into his stuff? I'm a huge Auteurs fan and some of his solo material has been really good. "Never Work" and "What Happens When We Die" from The Oliver Twist Manifesto are particularly mind-blowing. I wasn't much into the last album, but still looking forward to the new one. Digging the cover art:

www.lukehaines.co.uk
clewsr
Known user

Re: Luke Haines

Post by clewsr »

I'm a bit of a lapsed fan. Enjoyed the first album, back when they were touted as rivals / peers of Suede - pre Oasis, now that does seem like a long time ago - Also Enjoyed the bizarreness that was the Auteurs Vs Uziq. pleasantly weird soundscape remixes of the first album.

I also liked his Black Box Recorder project. They had a song 'the English Motorway system is beautiful and strange' which made me look our motorways in a completely different way!

Didn't he also release a best of called 'The incredible genius of Luke Haynes'? That made me laugh, no false modesty here!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think you're talking about Das Capital: The Songwriting Genius of Luke Haines. That's an interesting album. It's all re-recorded versions of Auteurs songs with orchestral touches. Some of it works really well, but there are a few songs on there that should have been left alone. Do you have the Baader Meinhof album? That record is genius and has aged surprisingly well.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

As far as restrospectives go, Luke Haines is Dead (Triple CD) takes alot of beating. Great little booklet in there too with some brutally honest comments from Haines re some of the remixes. Advantage of this comp is that it includes quite a few B-sides and stuff from the Back With The Killer EP.
His book, Bad Vibes - Britpop My Part In His Downfall is a cracking read. Some real laugh out loud moments. Strongly recommended to anyone who lived through the 90's or is familiar with bands such as Elastica, Blur, The The.

I've seen him in all formats - Auteurs, Solo, Black Box Recorder and have to say that he has never disappointed me. I even have stuff by The Servants - his pre-Auteurs group who, IMHO, were very much of their time.

Besides some wonderful tunes from Showgirl right up to Off My Rocker At The Art School Bop (last solo LP release), he has consistently penned some of the best lyrics that I have ever heard. The man is a great English poet who may one day be recognized as such.

Anyway, you can probably tell I'm a fan! He's promoting the release of his next album by playing the Borderline with his new band on Oct 1st.

Greatest album? Why, Baader Meinhof of course.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hey Breeze, can you hook me up with some of the Servants' stuff? I think I pretty much have everything the Auteurs ever put out, but I don't have anything pre-Auteurs.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

I love Luke Haines, sadly in Italy no one knows him…I have all his material; briefly:

The Servants: his first band where he played guitar and piano; the original cd and cds are finished, but you can buy “Reserved” a very good compilation of the singles, unpublished and BBC performances. The frontman was David Westlake, now he is a teacher at the University. I love all his songs! With mr. Haines he recorded a good solo album called Westlake. Fantastic. One of my favourite band! Think about the Velvet 3th line-up, with Duog Yule.

The Auteurs: 4 albums and a lot of singles. I suggest you “After murder park” with Steve Albini like producer. I have everything. This is not pop, this is rock!! They were booked as open-live of Nirvana, but Cobain died in that period…

Baader Meinhof: the masterpiece of Luke Haines, the best work he ever did. A concept album about German terrorists…it is very short but you will love it. Don’t miss it!!!

Black Box Recorder: 3 albums and one compilations of B-sides and unpublished called “The worst of BBR” :lol: This band is composed by: Haines and John Moore (ex- Jesus and Mary Chain) at the instruments, Sarah Nixey at the vocals. I suggest you the first one, it recalled me “After murder park” in pop-key!! BBR are a mix with Velvet Underground and Mazzy Star.

Luke Haines solo albums: I enjoyed enough:
“Christie Malry's Own Double Entry OST”: a good soundtrack, some songs are very closed to Auteurs era
“The Oliver Twist Manifesto”: another good work; I don’t know why, but it recalled me the Baader Meinhof album…more electronics.
“Das Capital”: very good! Like a live album with orchestra. Some songs of Auteurs and new songs.
“Off My Rocker at the Art School Bop”: enjoyable, fresh. I listened it a lot and it doesn’t bored me.
“Luke Haines in dead”: 3 cd with all B-sides, all singles, a lot of live performances, unpublished and so on! I have all cd and cds, but I bought it of completeness mania, I find live version better than studios

Book: “Bad Vibes” If you grown up during Brit-pop era this book is very useful for understanding a lot of things. You will laugh a lot and find very interesting saw.

The next month a new album of Luke Haines will be published: 21st Century Man/Achtung Mutha. I can’t wait!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:!: A lot of informations:
The Servants: http://www.lostsheep.com/davidwestlake/
Luke Haines: http://www.lukehaines.co.uk/
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

TheWarmth wrote:Hey Breeze, can you hook me up with some of the Servants' stuff? I think I pretty much have everything the Auteurs ever put out, but I don't have anything pre-Auteurs.
David Westlake defined his Servants a small band...but I think it was one's fo the best of 80's in UK; they appeared in the cd86 compilation! He is a very elegant person.

The albums are not easy to find...but you can buy "Reserved" (Cherry Red), there's a lot of songs inside; one of my best album! Inside there's the cover of Beach Boys: "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times" (from Pet Sounds).
I've tried many times to buy the last (1990) album Disinterest, but nothing. I found it in ebay, but it was too expensive.
I've got the first solo album of David Wastlake, called "Wastlake", I love it; Haines defined it a minor classic; Haines palyed guitar and piano in it.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Hey Breeze, can you hook me up with some of the Servants' stuff? I think I pretty much have everything the Auteurs ever put out, but I don't have anything pre-Auteurs.
Fede77 has done a much more comprehensive job than I could have hoped to. Only Sevants album I still have is a tape copy of Disinterest (yes the file-sharing of the day!).
Listening to Westlake led me into Go Betweens who are well worth checking-out.

Back onto the Auteurs, I think Lenny Valentino and Light Aircraft On Fire could compete for best song intro's ever. Haines has always had a talent for masterfully crafted pop singles.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Some great knowledge and appreciation of all things Luke Haines in this thread.
The Breeze wrote: His book, Bad Vibes - Britpop My Part In His Downfall is a cracking read. Some real laugh out loud moments. Strongly recommended to anyone who lived through the 90's or is familiar with bands such as Elastica, Blur, The The.
It felt like I bounced through the 90's and I love listening to The The, so I'm going to have to get a copy of that book.
Greatest album? Why, Baader Meinhof of course.
A gritty and unusual subject to write an album about, what made him choose the Baader Meinhof ? Is that album also exspensive to buy now ?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Hey Shaun,
I think you can get the Baader Meinhof album for a reasonable price via ebay these days. I could always do up a download link if you can't find it anywhere. It really is fantastic.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dear all,

I've been trying to find "Disinterest" for years, but at no end... :cry:
Having this album is one of my dreams!
Can you help me?
Is there anyone of you that can tell me where I can download it?

Thanks
Fede77
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

TheWarmth wrote:Hey Shaun,
I think you can get the Baader Meinhof album for a reasonable price via ebay these days. I could always do up a download link if you can't find it anywhere. It really is fantastic.
Hey thanks. There's one up on fleaBay now but with shipping from Canada to the UK it bumps the price up close to 17GBP and I was hoping for much less.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Here's the Baader Meinhof album. Since it's out of print and not easily obtained, I figure it's probably alright to post the link:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4w0jxk
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

I appreciate the upload but I'm going to try and hold out for an actual copy. It's like 'Pentamerous Metamorphosis' by Global Communication; I've been wanting to hear that for yonks but it's always too much on that auction site, yet I've never thought of downloading it although I know I could.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

I have no such quarms. I'll going to download it and give it a listen, so thanks for the link.
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Just noticed that nobody has mentioned the superb Auteurs live album 'No Dialogue With Cunts' (Yes, that really is the title and Woolworths couldn't wait to stock it!)
That has most of Baader Meinhof on it.

Looking on Amazon and Play it also seems to have disappeared. How can these record companies really expect people not to fileshare when they delete so much good stuff so quickly? Perhaps the bands should make them available to download on their own sites for a reasonable price?
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

The book 'Bad Vibes' is excellent. I read it on my honeymoon (as you do) and thought it was a thouroughly good read, although he doesn't have many nice things to say about The The, or anyone for that matter. They reproduced some of it in WORD magazine recently. Never really listened to his music, but after reading the book I'm more inclined to check out the 1st and 3rd Auteurs albums.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

No Dialogue with Cunts is actually a free download from the Luke Haines website:
http://www.lukehaines.co.uk/no-dialogue-with-cunts/

New album coming up in November, as well as a tour:
1 Oct 2009 20:00 London Borderline London, South
1 Nov 2009 20:00 Leeds Brudenell Social Club Leeds, Northeast
2 Nov 2009 20:00 Manchester Deaf Institute Manchester, Northwest
4 Nov 2009 20:00 Sheffield Boardwalk Sheffield, Northeast
5 Nov 2009 20:00 Glasgow Captains Rest Glasgow, Scotland
6 Nov 2009 20:00 Newcastle Cluny Newcastle, Northeast
7 Nov 2009 20:00 Bristol The Thekla Bristol, Southwest
11 Nov 2009 20:00 Brighton Hanbury Ballroom Brighton, South

I haven't seen Luke Haines since he played at the Fringe a few years ago, acoustic gig, and him taking questions from the audience between songs, which was a good laugh. Definitely looking forward to seeing him again - he's a rare artist for me in that I have liked his music, inc. his various projects since the first Auteurs album in 93, and believe me, my tastes in music have evolved quite a bit since then!
The Breeze
Known user

Post by The Breeze »

Great call, flokie !! :D :D
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Has anyone who hadn't previously heard the Baader Meinhof album had a chance to give it a spin?
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

anyone know where you can download any of the outsider music cds?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]