Oasis appreciation thread.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Already There
Known user

Oasis appreciation thread.

Post by Already There »

I don't think there is one yet. -_-
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Oasis appreciation thread.

Post by BzaInSpace »

...I think i'll pass, thanks

:lol:
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Hear, hear! I guess a lot of the reason why I don't hate Oasis or later Verve is that I was in America and missed 99% of the hype machine.

Oasis is a solid, effective, distinctive band that certainly captured a zeitgeist for a couple of years and then proceeded to a workmanlike career with a reliable quotient of enjoyable tracks. Liam gets on my nerves sometimes but Noel is a fine craftsman and very emotive singer with not infrequent moments of real heft.

The early hits are great, but there's something satisfying about much of the later stuff too. Be Here Now is gloriously indulgent. Go Let It Out, Gas Panic, The Hindu Times, Turn Up The Sun, A Bell Will Ring, Let There Be Love, Shock of the Lightning are great and unjustly neglected songs.

Liam I don't much care for, but I will continue to follow Noel Gallagher's career.
Stuart X.Hunter
Known user

Post by Stuart X.Hunter »

jadams501 wrote:...Shock of the Lightning...are great and unjustly neglected songs.
Agreed this is a belting song...as is Falling Down from the same album.

Perhaps it may be conducive to rename this thread "Oasis; appreciate them for what they were thread"
This may remove some of the venom that has grown from how they (the bruvvas) behaved/acted, press glorification and the beautiful hindsight that begins most peoples sentences/thoughts of them.

Best,

Stuart
Shoulders back, smash it
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

jadams501 wrote:Hear, hear! I guess a lot of the reason why I don't hate Oasis or later Verve is that I was in America and missed 99% of the hype machine.

Oasis is a solid, effective, distinctive band that certainly captured a zeitgeist for a couple of years and then proceeded to a workmanlike career with a reliable quotient of enjoyable tracks. Liam gets on my nerves sometimes but Noel is a fine craftsman and very emotive singer with not infrequent moments of real heft.

The early hits are great, but there's something satisfying about much of the later stuff too. Be Here Now is gloriously indulgent. Go Let It Out, Gas Panic, The Hindu Times, Turn Up The Sun, A Bell Will Ring, Let There Be Love, Shock of the Lightning are great and unjustly neglected songs.

Liam I don't much care for, but I will continue to follow Noel Gallagher's career.
I'm 20 and I only ever heard of Oasis when I was... 13. And I am German. And I knew several songs before Wonderwall, if that gives me any credit. :lol:

Yeah... I never liked hypes, but still I managed to like The Verve and Oasis. Oh yeah, hype... In fact, I think I have a thing for U2 now. For the music and the people. So I don't think it's only the hype why people hate Oasis and The Verve. -_-
Stuart X.Hunter wrote:
jadams501 wrote:...Shock of the Lightning...are great and unjustly neglected songs.
Agreed this is a belting song...as is Falling Down from the same album.

Perhaps it may be conducive to rename this thread "Oasis; appreciate them for what they were thread"
This may remove some of the venom that has grown from how they (the bruvvas) behaved/acted, press glorification and the beautiful hindsight that begins most peoples sentences/thoughts of them.

Best,

Stuart
Yeah, true. It's actually my favourite song off the album. I couldn't get too much into the rest. Except for the Andy song and the Gem song. It's not really about what they were. Because apart from the first and the third album... OK, let's be clear about this. I never liked the second album as much as the first or the third. Definitely Maybe is just too great. I don't know why, I just like this band.. I have listened to them much too much in 2006, but now I can actually listen to them again. Feels good...

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I really enjoy Dig Out Your Soul quite a bit. "Ain't Got Nothin'" is the only track I straight up don't like. I think Andy and Gem's songs are both so-so, but the rest is excellent. "Falling Down" is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Heathen Chemistry and can't really figure out why that album has always caught so much flack.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

TheWarmth wrote:I really enjoy Dig Out Your Soul quite a bit. "Ain't Got Nothin'" is the only track I straight up don't like. I think Andy and Gem's songs are both so-so, but the rest is excellent. "Falling Down" is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Heathen Chemistry and can't really figure out why that album has always caught so much flack.
Well, I guess The Hindu Times has made me fall in love with the band. I used to love the album a lot, but now it has mellowed down a bit. ^^

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Already There wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I really enjoy Dig Out Your Soul quite a bit. "Ain't Got Nothin'" is the only track I straight up don't like. I think Andy and Gem's songs are both so-so, but the rest is excellent. "Falling Down" is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Heathen Chemistry and can't really figure out why that album has always caught so much flack.
Well, I guess The Hindu Times has made me fall in love with the band. I used to love the album a lot, but now it has mellowed down a bit. ^^

couldn`t agree more about The Hindu Times f8ckin love this song and been listening to Heathen Chemistry alot recently ,a very underrated and forgotten album,it makes me laugh when people say they haven`t done anything decent since their first 2 albums ,If I fancy listening to a bit Oasis its always something post Be Here Now I reach for ,....Hung In A Bad Place is an excellent song. Just realised how random that last statement looks ,but the sentiments are sincere.

Falling Down is also way tremendous ,tracked down 22 min Amorphous Androgynous remix which is well worth hearing ,which led me onto listening to Amorphous Androgynous they are seriously far out ,anyfurther out and you`d need a telescope to see them.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The A.A. remix of Falling Down is interesting. I bought the 12" and I love some of it, but hate other parts. It was definitely an interesting experiment for a band that so many people say never changes or tries new things.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

niamhm wrote: couldn`t agree more about The Hindu Times f8ckin love this song and been listening to Heathen Chemistry alot recently ,a very underrated and forgotten album,it makes me laugh when people say they haven`t done anything decent since their first 2 albums ,If I fancy listening to a bit Oasis its always something post Be Here Now I reach for ,....Hung In A Bad Place is an excellent song. Just realised how random that last statement looks ,but the sentiments are sincere.

Falling Down is also way tremendous ,tracked down 22 min Amorphous Androgynous remix which is well worth hearing ,which led me onto listening to Amorphous Androgynous they are seriously far out ,anyfurther out and you`d need a telescope to see them.
Yeah, Hung In A Bad Place is one of the best songs on the record. A good "start" for Gem.

natty
Known user

Post by natty »

niamhm wrote:
AA is an alias of Future Sound of London, if you didn't already know.
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

Massive Oasis fan here, I think their last album was amazing, not at the time but hearing it now it sounds one of the freshest sounding LP's theyve ever done. Think Andy Bell should stay clear of songwriting for the band, "The Nature Of Reality" is dire! I hope the band carry on without that "important" guitarist, anyone remember his name?

Anyway, I'm new to the forum, excercising my love for that band up there /\/\/\/\.

Peace and love.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.nme.com/festivals/photos/oas ... 149335/1/1

I'm appreciating this right now. It's almost as funny as that "shit my dad says" twitter. http://twitter.com/Shitmydadsays
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

bruce_brobertson wrote:Massive Oasis fan here, I think their last album was amazing, not at the time but hearing it now it sounds one of the freshest sounding LP's theyve ever done. Think Andy Bell should stay clear of songwriting for the band, "The Nature Of Reality" is dire! I hope the band carry on without that "important" guitarist, anyone remember his name?

Anyway, I'm new to the forum, excercising my love for that band up there /\/\/\/\.

Peace and love.
The Nature Of Reality is one of my favourite tracks on the album. It doesn't beat Turn Up The Sun though. But well, both his songs on the sixth album are great, it's hard to beat them...

But I agree, he should stay clear of songwriting for Oasis. He might do something else maybe... outside the band... but well, it's only him who can decide that. If he is busy enough at the moment and if he has better things to do... well, then he should do that I guess...

Hello and welcome, btw. :)

scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I saw them brothers doing hand claps and tambourine for the Verve in 93 or 94.. as I remember it they did a good job!
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

scratch wrote:I saw them brothers doing hand claps and tambourine for the Verve in 93 or 94.. as I remember it they did a good job!
Yeah, Liam clapping on History... So they've been on stage with them back then?