Lou Reed ~ Berlin / George Harrison ~ All Things Must Pass

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Lou Reed ~ Berlin / George Harrison ~ All Things Must Pass

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not much of a fan of Lou Reed's solo stuff, but I put on Berlin recently and really enjoyed it. I was doing a purge of my vinyl collection and thought I might get rid of that one, but it's pretty badass.

Request: Can anyone provide me with a download link for a digital version of this album so I don't have to do a transfer from vinyl?

Another one that got taken off the shelf was All Things Must Pass. Holy shit is that a good album. I mean, it's a freaking triple album and pretty much every song is great. I jumped on ebay and sprung for a copy of the cd remaster immediately after listening to the entire thing.
warmgun.
Known user

Re: Lou Reed ~ Berlin / George Harrison ~ All Things Must Pass

Post by warmgun. »

All Things Must Pass is fantastic - all of the orchestration and overblown arrangements always bring to mind Let It Come Down and vice-versa... no doubt in part because the reissue came out around the same time as LICD.

I never really "got" Berlin... might be a good time to check it out again!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Some of the songs on All Things Must Pass are amazing and rank as the best post-Beatles work by any of them. Much of the time -- My Sweet Lord, Awaiting on You All, What Is Life, Ballad of Frankie Crisp, Isn't It A Pity (I) -- the overblown Spector production isn't an issue. With a few of the others the production does get in the way, unfortunately -- Spector ruined Let It Down if you compare it to the sublime demo version.

Still, one of the all-time great rock albums, and one of my favorite songs -- I Live For You -- wasn't even included on the original triple album!!
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

I didnt mind Lou Reed's 1st LP, thought it was a great effort, some great tracks (Perfect Day, Take A Walk On The Wild Side). As for George Harrison's 1st LP, thought it was alright, but I couldnt be doing with all that indian music reference...I prefered Lennon's debut. classic.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

There isn't any overtly Indian stuff on All Things Must Pass. Unless i'm completely missing it.
I LOVE All Things Must Pass and correct me if i'm wrong but isn't it the best selling Beatles solo record. Amazing for a triple lp.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Transformer was Reed's second album.

His first is supposed to be kinda lame, but I've always been curious about it.
StellarMainlines
New user

Post by StellarMainlines »

Theres a sweetness to All Things Must Pass that I've never heard replicated on any other album.Light and optomistic and love-ly
Treading the backward path
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

TheWarmth wrote:

Request: Can anyone provide me with a download link for a digital version of this album so I don't have to do a transfer from vinyl?
Here you go...

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=05IIWCVN

This isn't my upload, I found it after reading your post and discovered I've lost my CD and wanted to listen to it.
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.