Record shops in London

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

synthiA
Known user

Record shops in London

Post by synthiA »

This one hasn't come up in a while...
Last time I went shopping in London(2001), I hit the shops on Berwick st. I'm sure things have changed. What are some good ones?
thanks!
Zenchan
Known user

Re: Record shops in London

Post by Zenchan »

Giving this topic a bump as I am one of many who will be hitting London in the next day or two for RFH and will be hitting a record shop or two as well :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I shall be hitting Berwick St. myself tomorrow. Thought i'd be hitting Rough Trade in Covent Garden as that's where i'm staying but have found out it no longer exists (RT not Covent Garden :) )

Oh yeah and does anyone know how much vinyl or indeed cd's would be equivalent to 10kg? That's the limit on hand luggage onto the plane!
Last edited by sunray on Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

dont let them weigh it.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Yeah, they're normally more bothered about how large it is. I've never had hand luggage weighed. Although if you pack it so full you're on your knees as you go through security you may arouse suspicions!

Post by Sim »

Also be interested in any recommendations. Managed to wrangle a work meeting in the morning (so work pays travel costs) and so will have the afternoon for my bank balance to slim down a bit.

Post by bruce_brobertson »

I made a visit to London in June, and thought itd be wise to visit Berwick Street. Only managed to pop in to Sister Ray which is a good record shop...plenty of rarities both CD and vinyl, but didnt see much worth investing in that I couldnt get in (nearer to me) Manchester. There's supposed to be a decent amount of shops in Notting Hill.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Went earlier today (technically yesterday, the 12th):

Sister Ray is the best by far. There is Revival Records that has all second hand stuff. Some good stuff, but it looks like in order to get the best you'd have to be there everyday looking through the new arrivals stacks. Then there is a shop called sounds of the universe (?) that has lots of good soul/jazz/funk and a bit of postpunk....all of it really fantastic but a bit overpriced. I went into a few electronic shops that left a bit to be desired (one called BM Music?, i think). Not my thing, so i wasn't in there for very long. About a block from the beginning of the good part of Berwick, there is a classical/musical store that is very limited in its genres......just classical/contemporary/early/musical theater cds and vinyl, but their selection is INCREDIBLE, if you're into that kind of stuff. A bit overpriced though.

Hope this helps...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

where is Sister Ray, is it central/near the RFH?
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

It seems a lot of us are planning on buying cds/vinyl the next couple of days.I spent last night searching for record shops in and around soho.I pumped in "record shops soho " and came up with this site http://www.welovelocal.com/en/london/we ... ord-shops/ which is very helpful.
Sister Ray is at 34-35 Berwick St which is up near soho.Nearest station (I think) is Oxford Circus.Its not far by tube from RFH - dont know how long to walk it tho
bruce_brobertson
Known user

Post by bruce_brobertson »

From my experience it took like 10 mins or so to walk to Sister Ray from Oxford Circus. Fair few sex shops and pubs on your way like!!!
ReturnToForever
Known user

Post by ReturnToForever »

try some weed + amazon.uk, it'll be the best shop! :lol: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Go to Rough Trade East over near Brick Lane in East London. It's what came about after the Covent Garden one closed down. Lovely big store, loads of vinyl and cd's, helpful staff.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Seconded. Rough Trade East is great but you may need to ask as the racks are heavily loaded and not sorted particualryl well. For second hand it's Berwick Street, a coupld of ones hidden behind the North side of Oxford Street at the Tottenham Court Road End, For electronic stuff Phonica in Soho is good too.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Did we all find the time to slooch off for an hour or two?
I left the missus to deal with the primarni/next crowds and headed off to Berwick St and managed to find :-

Spacemen 3 - Recurring Gold Embossed 19.99

Spectrum - War Sucks vinyl 10.99 Had a few from what I saw.And very happy with this buy as I missed the pre order on vinyl due to being broke at the time

Spiritualized - Complete Works Vol 2 5.00 For completion purposes

The Chameleons - Script Of The Bridge 25th Anniversary Edition 10.99 HMV been selling this for 15.99
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

While in London I managed to find Painful by Yo La Tengo (which i couldn't find on CD anywhere on net!) and Explosions In the Sky's How Strange Innocence for a reasonable price too.
There was also a great guitar shop near covent garden that had a very John Coxon like Firebird in there.. lovely.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

It took me a silly amount of time to find Berwick Street, I kept on going in circles round Piccadilly circus :lol: