Flaming Lips Live on Conan

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Flaming Lips Live on Conan

Post by spzretent »

Nice to see real people playing real instruments. and if you are lucky you will get the Zoey Deschannel commericial for Cotton. Love the shot in the record store.

http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.c ... id=1166385
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
burningwheel
Known user

Re: Flaming Lips Live on Conan

Post by burningwheel »

as opposed to fake ones? :shock:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

burningwheel wrote:as opposed to fake ones? :shock:
Well - a film of a drummer perhaps? I don't count that as real... :roll:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

burningwheel wrote:as opposed to fake ones? :shock:
Nonexistent ones. Which is total bullshit. Reason i have little or no time for them anymore.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

been listening to the new album and its pretty cool and out their a real experimental krautrock thing going on ,slightly surprised that no one `s mentioned it so far here except spazretent who apparently couldn`d give a shit about them.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Can't say the album has fully clicked with me yet, and I prefer their stuff pre Soft Bulletin. This album reminds me in ways of Zaireeka. Has a bit of a similar feel to it, and that's an album that took me a while to get into. Currently I'm feeling that this album is missing a bit of warmth (much the same way I felt about Zaireeka at the time).
One thing I am sure about is that I do not like that song they do with Karen O, the one where she does the animal sounds.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

niamhm wrote:been listening to the new album and its pretty cool and out their a real experimental krautrock thing going on ,slightly surprised that no one `s mentioned it so far here except spazretent who apparently couldn`d give a shit about them.
well yeah...but its not as simple as that. I used to be a massive Lips fan. Traveled to see them. Saw them at least 20 times between Hit To Death and Clouds Taste Metallic. I guess I take the Steven/Drugs problem leading to Ronald Jones quitting too personally.
I understand the band had to reinvent itself given the new band dynamic. But Soft Bulletin did not click w/me at all. It was well wide of what I came to expect from them. This goes for all the subsequent releases. It happens. They just happened to be one of my favorite bands. So I am bitter. I admit it.
Then going to see them live(no idea why I did this) the whole perfomance art-blood-bubble-Steven drumming on film thing really pissed me off. And now they are more popular than ever. So what do I know? Apparently nothing.
I read amazing reviews of the new record. So before purchasing I went to their web site and listened to what was available. I thought it was awful.
It is nice to see real live people playing instruments now. Which is why I posted this video. I know there are a lot of fans on this board that probably wouldn't have know about the Conan appearance.
Rant over.
Cute play on the username btw. Its always useful when you disagree w/someone.
veep23
Known user

Post by veep23 »

wow! that was a good song. the new album has some good stuff on it and i will listen to it a lot more than the last couple they put out. i'm glad they are making me notice them again. The Soft Bulletin is one of my all time albums and Hit To Death In The Future Head is sooo good... seriously under-appreciated.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, I'm not a Lips fan, but I think the song Convinced of the Hex is super badass. I need to give the whole album a few listens.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

spzretent wrote:
niamhm wrote:been listening to the new album and its pretty cool and out their a real experimental krautrock thing going on ,slightly surprised that no one `s mentioned it so far here except spazretent who apparently couldn`d give a shit about them.
well yeah...but its not as simple as that. I used to be a massive Lips fan. Traveled to see them. Saw them at least 20 times between Hit To Death and Clouds Taste Metallic. I guess I take the Steven/Drugs problem leading to Ronald Jones quitting too personally.
I understand the band had to reinvent itself given the new band dynamic. But Soft Bulletin did not click w/me at all. It was well wide of what I came to expect from them. This goes for all the subsequent releases. It happens. They just happened to be one of my favorite bands. So I am bitter. I admit it.
Then going to see them live(no idea why I did this) the whole perfomance art-blood-bubble-Steven drumming on film thing really pissed me off. And now they are more popular than ever. So what do I know? Apparently nothing.
I read amazing reviews of the new record. So before purchasing I went to their web site and listened to what was available. I thought it was awful.
It is nice to see real live people playing instruments now. Which is why I posted this video. I know there are a lot of fans on this board that probably wouldn't have know about the Conan appearance.
Rant over.
Cute play on the username btw. Its always useful when you disagree w/someone.
ah.. just noticed your last sentence their,would love to take credit for the "clever " word play but honestly that was posted late on friday night and was a genuine spelling mistake ..honestly, pure coincidence,

anyway your link to the Conan show doesn`t appear to work on this side of the Atlantic so haven`t seen it yet mores the pity, but someone has posting some cool live stuff on youtube so here`s a link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mibsY2W ... re=related

looks like a cool show their putting on, having never seen them before I must say I`m quite tempted.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Right.
Pitchfork has a whole session from KCRW

http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/mediaP ... aming_lips
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

They've just covered the whole "Dark side of the Moon" album apparently: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/oc ... -side-moon
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Have to say that I agree 100% with what spzretent says a few posts up from this one. I too was a big Lips fan going back to late 80's. Saw them many times between 'Oh My Gawd' and 'Clouds' and watched the band grow from a small, obscure bar band to a major rock/pop sensation headlining the big festivals in England. The 'Priest Driven Ambulance' and 'Hit to Death' tours were the best! Tiny bars would be filled with thick, dry ice smoke and a film projector set behind the drummer projecting through the thick smoke, flashing movies and light on to the ceiling while the boys exhaustively hit the 13th minute white noise freak-out of 'One Million, Billionth of a Millisecond'. Ahhh, those were the days! I still remember their first write-up in Rolling Stone and thinking that the little Okie band had "grown up".

When 'Soft Bulletin' came out and its subsequent successors it and the others have left me cold. No, it has nothing to do with their new found popularity at all. I'm old enough to accept that and their success certainly didn't come over night either. They worked hard for it and because of that I respect Coyne and Ivins. Especially as it seems that they have never forgotten their roots (so much so that Coyne still lives in the same working class neighborhood of OKC). But, I haven't been able to really listen to them or see them live since '96 or so.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: But, I haven't been able to really listen to them or see them live since '96 or so.
Sadly that sums my feelings up too. Truly one of the greatest bands I can think of up til that point. Live they were absolutely astonishing.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Don`t know about Modlab or Bza ,but if they agree we could have a moderators consensus that the Flaming Lips are officially shit!!

Can I just say that I never saw or heard anything by the band pre Soft Bulletin except that Jelly song,and yeah it was on Beverley Hills 90215867423668 or what ever the hell it was called ,but .. on the strength off strong reveiws I chucked caution to the wind and bought the Soft Bulletin and thought it was awesome ,still one off my favourite albums from the 90`s along with Deserters Songs which aint to popular around these parts either I gather ,

i gotta say I never really fancied seeing the Lips these last 10 years or so ,animal suits for the audience ,ballons all over the f8ckn place ,If theirs one thing I hate about my music its "wacky" or "zany",guarenteed to piss me right of,so that put me right off Yoshimi from the kick off ,which I acknowledge is pretty superficial of me ,but f8ck it my taste is the only place I stand supreme and correct..

Don`t know why I missed out on the 80/90`s stuff you guys seem to dig so much coz that was my gig going hey day and f8cked up loud psychedelic shit was definetley my bag, so maybe you recommend somthing and I`ll give it a whirl,

still can`t get my head round why anyone would feel disappointed with the Soft Bulletin though and Embryonic is a sprawling psychedelic opus ,let that bitterness go .. you know it aint healthy.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Just curious why you seem to have such an issue w/people who have differing opinions to yours? Are we not allowed to express our opinions if they dont jive with yours? I thought I was being generous in giving you an explanation on why I said what I did, play on my username aside.
i dont believe I ever attacked your taste. People can like what they want. Buy what they want. Obviously this stirs some emotions in people. Its nice to vent every once in a while.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I couldn't wait for Soft Bulletin when I heard it was imminent - I was genuinely excited. When I got it I sat in crushed disappointment at what I heard and I still hate it. Sorry. I know people love it but I don't. An interesting point - the Lips have 3 periods of their life. The pre Jonathan Donahue era, the Donahue/Jones era and then the Soft Bulletin + era. I remember many Lips fans who loved the early period HATED the Donahue/Jones music in that same way I can't get on with the post Donahue/Jones stuff. And I understand why - the music is very different in all 3 periods. I don't like all that much of the stuff before Priest Driven Ambulance although there are good moments.

Most people I know hate the bands I love the most. So what? People have opinions and mine on Soft Bulletin happens to differ from the masses, in just the same way it seems to on Urban Hymns. I simply believe the music the Lips made before was massively superior and a lot of long term Lips fans agree.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Seems to be some misunderstanding here,I thought I already explained the username thing so i say it again ..It was a mistake ,a typo ,I apologise, what more can I say ,

as for your perception of my issues with different opinion to my own ,I think you got me wrong ,I like ,enjoy discussing ,arguing about music and taste doesn`t mean I have issues , if everybody here liked the same shit and held the same opinion it wouldn`t make for much of a forum , you hold pretty strident views on the Lips yourself and your pretty forthright in setting them out , now I aint an authority on them by any stretch but you seem to have been a big fan at one time, but if you don`t want to discuss them then thats fine ,I thought I was being pretty open on my thoughts on them to the point of asking for a pointer on their earlier stuff ,

perhaps I`m coming across the wrong way in my posts I appreciate sometimes nuances in language and communication can be lost in online posts ,
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:I couldn't wait for Soft Bulletin when I heard it was imminent - I was genuinely excited. When I got it I sat in crushed disappointment at what I heard and I still hate it. Sorry. I know people love it but I don't. An interesting point - the Lips have 3 periods of their life. The pre Jonathan Donahue era, the Donahue/Jones era and then the Soft Bulletin + era. I remember many Lips fans who loved the early period HATED the Donahue/Jones music in that same way I can't get on with the post Donahue/Jones stuff. And I understand why - the music is very different in all 3 periods. I don't like all that much of the stuff before Priest Driven Ambulance although there are good moments.
The first two sentences above describe my experience to a tee! I too was bitterly disappointed upon hearing 'Soft Bulletin' and I will admit, I actually returned the album (after giving it several listens). A couple years later, as a birthday present a friend of mine who loves 'Bulletin' and 'Yoshimi' gave them both to me and told me to give them a second chance. I did, and they now collect dust on my record shelves.

I also totally agree with runcible's assessment of the "three periods of life within the Lips recording history". Personally, I like the first two a WHOLE hell of a lot. I LOVE their second LP, 'Oh My Gawd!", probably as much as I do "The Perfect Prescription" and the Violent Femmes first album. Without doubt these three albums are amongst my favorite records from the 1980's. They all came out at the right time in my life and hold a very dear spot in my heart. Their 1st LP and "Telepathic" are OK but I like them less so. "Priest, and "Hit To Death", however, are mind numbingly beautiful albums that I rank as amongst the very best LP's of the '90's. Also, do not use their single success of "She Don't Use Jelly" as a basis to judge the "Transmissions" album. It too is a wonderful record from start to finish. "Clouds" has brilliant moments but like the 1st LP and "Telepathic", it too is inconsistent.

But, in my humble opinion, "Soft Bulletin" and its subsequent successors do nothing for me and they pale in comparison to any of the Lips albums listed above.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Pretty well said. I like some of Oh My Gawd but find it a little patchy to be honest. I don't like Telepathic Surgery really, and the 1st album isn't terribly great either but has a few decent songs. Couple of good songs on the very 1st EP (I Went Out For A Walk). Priest, Hit To Death and Transmissions are all milestones for me - sheer genius. The best moments on Clouds (Lightning Strikes The Postman, Kim's Watermelon Gun, When You Smile, Psychiatric Explorations) are among their greatest ever songs and on that tour they were the best I have ever seen them - moments where I could hardly believe what was going on it was so incredible. These rate as some of the best gigs of my entire life.

Friends who loved that band as I did saw the shows on the Soft Bulletin tour after having the same reaction as me to the album, and I was warned off so I called it a day. Tried again with Yoshimi but hated that too. The live clips I saw on TV were just plain embarassing as far as I was concerned - the fluffy outfits, the theatrical blood on Wayne's head etc.

The main point here is I feel guitted that a band I absolutely worshipped ended up making music I really disliked - I so wanted the post 1996 albums to be brilliant!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

It's funny, but the views being aired here about the Lips and the disappointment with later material is how i feel, to a lesser degree, about Spiritualized, Stereolab and Mercury Rev.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
The main point here is I feel guitted that a band I absolutely worshipped ended up making music I really disliked - I so wanted the post 1996 albums to be brilliant!
Which is precisely why the reaction is so strong. But, when it comes tp Spz there are those who love LICD and LAG. And they rate those as the bands best moments. Where as I, and a few others, think the first two are the best. No one is right. Album sales actually prove me wrong.
I agree about Mercury Rev. Their finest moments to me were with David Baker. When I am in the mood for something alt.country-ish I go to the masters: Neil Young or The Band.
Sterolab I always thought were a much better live band and I only own Low Fi and Switched on 1.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Yes, "Telepathic" is the most patchy of their older albums. It's worth it though for "Right Now" and "Drug Machine in Heaven".

Their first EP as well as the "Providing Needles..." EP are both pretty good (the latter being the better of the two).
I'm with ya, bro!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Some interesting stuff in the most recent posts ,some places I`ll take up (that Spotify is wonderful),
runcibles theory of 3 distinct phases to their out put is interesting ,could I suggest that maybe they just started a 4th? coz Embryonic isn`t anything much like their last 3 albums,
out of interest I gave SB a play this afternoon ,and frankly I`m at a loss why you guy`s don`t like songs like Waiting For A Superman or Feeling Yourself Disintegrate,but its good to see the passion on the subject.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

niamhm wrote:Some interesting stuff in the most recent posts ,some places I`ll take up (that Spotify is wonderful),
runcibles theory of 3 distinct phases to their out put is interesting ,could I suggest that maybe they just started a 4th? coz Embryonic isn`t anything much like their last 3 albums.
Have to say, I have not heard the new album but I have read comparisons to Zaireeka album, which was an over indulgant idea.
out of interest I gave SB a play this afternoon ,and frankly I`m at a loss why you guy`s don`t like songs like Waiting For A Superman or Feeling Yourself Disintegrate,but its good to see the passion on the subject
Familiarize yourself with their back catalog first THEN revisit 'Bulletin' and 'Yoshimi' etc. and you might understand why our passion is gone. Maybe it also has to do with us knowing where the band started and where they are now. That's not to say there is a loss of respect...there certainly isn't from where I stand. I applaud Coyne and Ivins and am glad they have found success. They worked hard for it and I don't think they compromised any integrity. They just started making music that doesn't move me anymore.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

took heed of your suggestion and got myself Clouds ,Future Head and Satellite Heart all for a pretty reasonable £10.50,so, with last weeks Embryionic, I feel a Flaming Lips marathon approaching ,let you know how I got on in a few weeks.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Strap yourself in. After that, if you like those, by all means get In A Priest Driven Ambulance. Their finest moment in my not so humble opinion!
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Ok, with all the Flaming Lips talk on the board I went out and got Clouds Taste Metallic last weekend. I've only listened to it the whole way through twice so far but my first impressions aren't that great. I don't think I really "get" it to be honest and I'm finding it all a bit twee (I can't really think of any other word to describe it really). Maybe its because I bought it along with the Soulsavers album and the 2 are kind of polar opposites I guess. Its just, songs about laughing giraffes, watermelon guns, etc. all seem a little childish after listening to the beauty of the Soulsavers album. Don't get me wrong, I realise there's a time and place for a bit of "fun" in music and that not every song has to be about emotional turmoil, relationship break-ups etc. Its just that I'm used to something with a little more substance in my music. I'm certainly going to give it a few more listens and maybe it'll suddenly work for me. But at the moment I'm just not understanding the adulation this band gets (from this board and elsewhere). And its not even as if I'm comparing this album with the newer stuff that a lot of you on here have dismissed, as I haven't listened to that either.

Will keep on persevering with it and come back to you.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Personally I think that was (very much) the wrong album to start with. You are starting from the wrong end and if you want to dive into the Lips golden era (as I think of it) Priest Driven Ambulance is a far better way to do it. There's not that much humour on Priest but there's certainly a great deal of silliness (in places) on Clouds. This Here Giraffe is absolutely terrible in my opinion, as is Brainville (wackiness for wackiness sake). Having said that I'm amazed you can fail to be enchanted by Kim's Watermelon Gun, one of the great unsung classics for me. I like other stuff there but the previous albums (1990 onwards) led up to it.

Go and listen to God Walks Among Us Now from Priest and try laughing. Not possible. WAY too intense. Here it is if you doubt me:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY0 ... bUFLSkE9PQ
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Go and listen to God Walks Among Us Now from Priest and try laughing. Not possible. WAY too intense. Here it is if you doubt me:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY0 ... bUFLSkE9PQ
Now thats more like what I was expecting! I like that. Thanks for sending that.

As for Clouds, I'm giving it a break for the night and going to come back to it later with a clear head. The only reason I went for Clouds was that my local record store had sold out of most of their Flaming Lips back catalogue and that was the oldest release they had by them. The guy in the shop highly recommended it and I remembered it being mentioned favourably in this thread. Didn't realise it was their 6th or 7th studio album. Will perhaps try Priest Driven Ambulance soon, but quite happy just having the Soulsavers album on heavy rotation at the mo.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Oh. i'll second Priest Driven Ambulance. I listened to it full boar last night on my nifty pink vinyl reissue. What a record! Hit to Death aint to shabby either but Priest Driven takes the Lips cake for me.
Ads, there is a double F Lips Cd called The Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg which is In A Priest Driven Ambulance with an extra CD of demos called The Mushroom Tapes.
Also a pink vinyl 2lp reissue which I know is around on ebay for $20.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Ads wrote: The only reason I went for Clouds was that my local record store had sold out of most of their Flaming Lips back catalogue and that was the oldest release they had by them. The guy in the shop highly recommended it and I remembered it being mentioned favourably in this thread.

Well, to be fair, I think all of us "old" Lips fans agreed that 'Clouds Taste Metallic' was the last decent Lips album. BUT we also all agreed that it was flawed and inconsistent.

Personally, for me it would be 'Oh My Gawd...', 'In A Priest Driven Ambulance', 'Hit To Death...', and 'Transmissions...'. In my not so humble opinion, these four LP's are the quintessential Flaming Lips albums and all well worth purchasing.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Here is a rare Lips b-side for you Ads. Peel session of 'the Sun' which is less manic than the other track I put here but equally awesome and very different in style. Well psychedelic!

Enjoy...
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3e ... b0RIRGc9PQ
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Bought Transmissions,Hit To Death and Clouds a week or so back and have given them all a few spins but mostly been listening to Clouds so i`ll only comment on that one ,
been listening to it in the works van alot and really been enjoying it a bit of a grower ,kinda hard to get a handle on it to start with but definetly worth persevering with,
been looking for In A Priest Driven Ambulance,and it seems to selling at some pretty ridiculous prices on Amazon anything from £20-£100,the £20 seems okay but the vendor is someone I had a spot of bother with earlier this year so a bit wary on that one.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

this is in fact a double CD version of In A Priest Driven Ambulance. And a lot less than I paid.

http://catalog.ebay.com/Day-They-Shot-H ... 86.c0.m504
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

So is that like a deluxe version? because I see the sleeve is different ,thought it was a follow on to an compilation of earlier stuff ,quite like to have the original release( but not at some crazy price) so may settle for this .
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Disc 1 is a remastered version of the original release. the second cd is demos and outtakes.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Okay thanx for clearing that up ,think i`ll pick one up.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I cant wait to hear what you think. I am listening to it right now(3rd time this week).
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

niamhm wrote:been looking for In A Priest Driven Ambulance,and it seems to selling at some pretty ridiculous prices on Amazon anything from £20-£100,the £20 seems okay but the vendor is someone I had a spot of bother with earlier this year so a bit wary on that one.
"Priest" should be easy to find in a used record/cd store. Original Enigma/Restless label may now be out of print but I'm sure it has been reissued on Warner Bros. If not, check the used record bins for used copies. I'd be very wary of paying 20 GBP for it...what is that, like $30-$35??? Seems very high to me. I'm sure I could find a used copy here for about $7-$12.

Runcible, "The Sun", "Felt Good To Burn" and "Hold Your Head" are my faves from "Hit to Death". Simply a great, great, great album!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote: Runcible, "The Sun", "Felt Good To Burn" and "Hold Your Head" are my faves from "Hit to Death". Simply a great, great, great album!
You know the version I uploaded here? Really fantastic - that swirly effect that builds is very effective. I rarely think a reworked version of a classic song is superior to the original but I definitely make an exception here.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:Here is a rare Lips b-side for you Ads. Peel session of 'the Sun' which is less manic than the other track I put here but equally awesome and very different in style. Well psychedelic!

Enjoy...
http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3e ... b0RIRGc9PQ
I like this. I like this a lot. Now, this is more like what I was expecting from all the talk about how good the early Lips stuff was. Will hunt those old albums down asap.

Thank you very much for uploading these 2 tracks Runcible.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

My pleasure.

Last one. This is live and features a few of the amazing things Ronald Jones could do with a guitar. Squawks, squeaks, rumbles, crumbles and all out balls... The most incredible guitar player it's ever been my pleasure to hear... Recorded right at the end of his time with them and just about the point his mind was totally unravelling. Man I miss that guy.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3c ... V1BIRGc9PQ
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:
redcloud wrote: Runcible, "The Sun", "Felt Good To Burn" and "Hold Your Head" are my faves from "Hit to Death". Simply a great, great, great album!
You know the version I uploaded here? Really fantastic - that swirly effect that builds is very effective. I rarely think a reworked version of a classic song is superior to the original but I definitely make an exception here.
No, I haven't heard that particular version before but it's great. Reminds me of the 'Hit To Death' shows.

Have you heard or do you own their EP "Due to High Expectations the Flaming Lips are Providing Needles for Your Balloons"? Some great stuff on that EP.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'd overlooked this thread til now, which is a shame as there's some real passion going on. I'll certainly be giving those downloads a listen as my Lips history only began with Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi, both of which I love. Saw them at Hammersmith on the Yoshimi tour and it was the happiest gig of my life (possibly), such joy going on.

I knew they had a frazzled past way before Soft Bulletin but I never knew where to start, and still don't to a degree, so these posts have been a help.

Some time back Sky Arts showed the Flaming Lips film, Fearless Freaks or something, which was really fascinating and showed me a side to them I hadn't heard before. I loved the chaos and the live shows looked amazing (flaming cymbals and other freakery), the super 8 footage of them as kids was heart warming. Excellent story and an excellent band, very emotional on all levels.

But even though I don't own any of the pre-SB albums I think I'll always love that the most as it's where I started and the song Waiting For Superman just gets me eveytime.............but I shall delve deeper.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you like a bit of noise it will be rewarding. Especially if you liked what you heard in Fearless Freaks.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

runcible wrote:My pleasure.

Last one. This is live and features a few of the amazing things Ronald Jones could do with a guitar. Squawks, squeaks, rumbles, crumbles and all out balls... The most incredible guitar player it's ever been my pleasure to hear... Recorded right at the end of his time with them and just about the point his mind was totally unravelling. Man I miss that guy.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY3c ... V1BIRGc9PQ

Yep, another cracker. Is this off a Lips live album or a boot?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

It's off a CD that was issued to coincide with the Fearless Freaks movie. Very limited but Wayne Coyne encouraged the music to be distributed over the web and I downloaded it.

I'm in a generous mood as it's the weekend.

This is the mellow side of the Lips in their prime. Beautiful song - from the 'Wasting Pigs Is Still Radical' EP. 'Jets Part 2':
https://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY2 ... SlIzZUE9PQ

...and a brutal live version of'Unconsciously Screamin'' (the original of which is on In A Priest Driven Ambulance). This is from an awesome boot called 'Says "Sweet Jesus...It's The Lords Of Love Noise"'. Again witness Ronald Jones running amok in spectacular fashion. Real chaos here:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/TzY2 ... V0RIRGc9PQ
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

runcible wrote:This is the mellow side of the Lips in their prime. Beautiful song - from the 'Wasting Pigs Is Still Radical' EP. 'Jets Part 2':

'Jets pt. 2' was originally released on the EP I mentioned above; "Due To High Expectiations The Flaming Lips Are Providing Needles For Your Ballons.".

Great song....even better EP.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

If you got into the Lips with the Soft Bulletin era stuff, then just work backwards to unpeel the onion.

The early stuff is my least favorite, but everything from Priest on is truly kickass.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

redcloud wrote:
runcible wrote:This is the mellow side of the Lips in their prime. Beautiful song - from the 'Wasting Pigs Is Still Radical' EP. 'Jets Part 2':

'Jets pt. 2' was originally released on the EP I mentioned above; "Due To High Expectiations The Flaming Lips Are Providing Needles For Your Ballons.".

Great song....even better EP.
Right on both counts. Providing Needles is indeed an excellent EP. And I got the title wrong - the Jets I uploaded is very different to 'Part 2', and is actually titled 'Jets (Cupid's Kiss Vs. The Psyche of Death)' and is a 2 track demo. Great tracks both.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have a couple of early live recordings from the "Oh My Gawd" and "Telepathic" tours, which I will dig out. They're on cassette though so I won't be able to upload and share as runcible did with his tracks. There are mind numbingly beautiful versions of "One Million Billionth..." on them though!

For those who caught the younger band live know that that song was always a highlight in their set and could go on for 15-20 minutes with strobes, smoke and full on freak outs. Man, just thinking of those earlier Lips shows sends shivers down my spine. They were a special band, indeed.

Thank god for internet music forums....it's nice to be able to share with other like minded individuals. My love and excitement for the Lips back catalog (as well as knowledge of their existence before 'Soft Bulletin!) is not shared by many.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

And to think this started off w/people on opposite sides of the thread.
I hope those who got into the Lips post Soft Bulletin enjoy the noisier moments from the earlier Lips stuff. I cant think of a band whom obviously have 3 era's that stirs more passion. I have that earlier comp/box but rarely listen to it(today I will dig it out). The mid period is astounding. And I guess I would have to attribute that to Jonanthan Donahue and more over Ronald Jones. Its a shame he has just disappeared.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Dug out my live tapes that I mentioned above. Hmmm...couple are later than I thought. One from '87, which is definitely the "Oh My Gawd" tour. The other two are '92 ('Hit to Death" tour but most of the set is from "Priest") and '93 ("Transmissions" tour).

I'll give them a spin today and let you know about sound quality...haven't heard them for a long while and need to refamiliarize myself with them.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I am on disc one of Finally The Rockers Are Taking Acid. Unfortunately for my neighbors its a beautiful, relatively warm and sunny day here. So the windows are open. I am sure this isn't going down so well on my street. But no ones complained....yet.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

While I`m certainly liking what I hear from their 2nd? period, gave Transmissions a spin this afternoon,great fun album and can`t really work out how I missed out on listening to them,unlike you guys ,due to the way I discovered them Soft Bulletin will always be a fav. but I can see me having some new fav.`s as well.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mission Accomplished!
:D
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Just reporting in on my Lips marathon ,while I now consider myself a big fan of Clouds Taste Metallic and Transmissions ,they`ve been on pretty much constant play in the works van the last 3 weeks (with a young family and a wife with slightly different tastes this sadly has become my preferred place of musical appreciation ) this week I put Hit To Death in the van and.... its different ,a lot of acoustic guitar and slightly different style of singing also some nods to ( unconciously or not )the shoegazing sound of the time ,god I hate that Label, still some cool songs their Halloween On The Barbary Coast is brilliant,

bought the Day They Shot A Hole In The Jesus Egg and while I gave it a few spins I think I`ll leave it a while till I digest what I got on my plate already,with the previously mentioned albums I`m getting a bit of a Buttholes thing coming through did you guys get that back then or did you dig Gibby and the guys a bit?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hit To Death is an amazing album I think. They consolidated that heavy guitar sound and Led Zep drums. I don't get the shoegazing link but it came out around that time certainly.

There is a big Buttholes angle. Wayne was very influenced by Gibby Haynes & I think they played together a bit back then. I was a huge Buttholes fan from about 88-90. The live stuff I have on DVD is incredible from then and the 2 gigs I saw in 1988 were unforgettable.
eeee22
Known user

Post by eeee22 »

To give a different perspective...
The first album I ever heard by them was soft bulletin... and I was blown away. I thought it was amazing and next came yoshimi which I liked a lot as well. After repeated listens though these albums lost their luster and I was fading on the lips until I heard Transmissions and Hit to Death. Now the lips are top 10 bands for me all-time about 94% for their earlier work as I've not even listened to the last two albums yet and still only listen to select songs from yoshimi and sb. Clouds took the longest for me to get into but I'm amazed there has been no love for 'they punctured my yolk' in this thread yet as that could be my favorite song by them as well as their saddest.

I went to a show recently and was too upset by all the theatrics and weak songs that I left before mountain side was played as the encore :(

Oh well, long live the lips!
I'm against picketing, but I don't know how to show it.