New Tracks For Real Complete Works

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

poppy
Known user

New Tracks For Real Complete Works

Post by poppy »

Would very much like a copy of the 'real complete works' and have some stuff to add. I used to work for BMG and am sitting on some very rare alternate studio versions of three Laser Guided Melody tracks that I'll pass back to whoever sends it to me (and will add on for whoever I burn the 'real complete works' for.) I tried selling the tracks back to BMG when they were A&Ring their Complete Works, but in keeping with their shit standards they declined them. Disgruntled former employees rise up and take over!

The real stand out of the three tracks is If I Were With Her Now which has a breakdown section in the middle of it that Jason cut out when finishing the track for the album. The other ones are I Want You and Run, both of which have some extra sounds and bits in them, but aren't as dramatically different as If I Were With Her Now. They've been digitized off of a cassette tape that Jason gave Dedicated when he was close to wrapping up the album.

By the by - the biggest rarity I'm sitting on is one of the 50 pill pack versions of LAGWAFIS that were sent out to Dedicated label managers with the Elvis version on it. Of course I'd have to destroy it's value by busting it open to check if it's actually on there though. Oh the irony.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Welcome poppy. It sounds like you're sitting on some interesting tracks there. I daresay you'll have a queue of people offering the real complete works. I have a copy but only on medium quality MP3. Happy to send them over on a CD if you wish. PM if you want.

Also have you thought about hosting these tracks on a bit torrent site? I think sharingthegroove would probably allow it as it is not released material, but not sure. Anyone any ideas? Also occassionally some kind people have a bit of webspace available where tracks can be posted for a few days - not sure if anyone has got the ability to do that this time?
spacey
New user

Post by spacey »

i'd like the real complete works cds if anyone is still sharing them?!?!?!? happy to trade if ive got anything you need
--> i have in my pocket a hurricane fighter plane <--
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

clewsr wrote: Also have you thought about hosting these tracks on a bit torrent site? I think sharingthegroove would probably allow it as it is not released material, but not sure. Anyone any ideas?
sharingthegroove is still screwed..(will it ever come back?)

easytree on the other hand is less complicated and up..
I think alternative versions/mixes would be ok as long as they are audiably different?
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

i am still waiting for my copy of the complete works. three different people were suppose to send it to me and none did.

if anybody is kind enough, can you please send me a copy. i will be happy to trade you something for it.

please. somebody. please.

thanks
xxxshonnxxx
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

a beautiful noise wrote:i am still waiting for my copy of the complete works. three different people were suppose to send it to me and none did.

if anybody is kind enough, can you please send me a copy. i will be happy to trade you something for it.

please. somebody. please.

thanks
xxxshonnxxx
fuck man, I'll send you a copy. just cover the postage.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

uhhm, sure no problem, what could postage come to, about a dollar or two. would you rather have a few live spiritualized shows? either way.

thanks again
xxxshonnxxx
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Poppy - fantastic post.

Did BMG have access to any other material, but wasn't used?

what was the real story behind Complete Works?

Popular myth has it that J Spaceman released them primarily to punish all the longtime hardcore fans.

Has anyone even ever mentioned an extended 'If I Were With Her Now' before ?

Super rare. :lol:
Clownbait
Known user

Post by Clownbait »

a beautiful noise wrote:uhhm, sure no problem, what could postage come to, about a dollar or two. would you rather have a few live spiritualized shows? either way.

thanks again
xxxshonnxxx
depends where you are located at. send me a pm with your show lists and we'll work it all out.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Hi Poopy i'd love to get these tracks although i don't have the "real complete works" how can i get that as well
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

BzaInSpace wrote:Poppy - fantastic post.

Did BMG have access to any other material, but wasn't used?

what was the real story behind Complete Works?

Popular myth has it that J Spaceman released them primarily to punish all the longtime hardcore fans.

Has anyone even ever mentioned an extended 'If I Were With Her Now' before ?

Super rare. :lol:
i know a bit about this.

trivia note : bmg made a mistake, and used the wrong version of the good dope / good fun mercury rev track. the version on the complete works is not the same version as the original greenpeace split single.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

To be honest, I'm 99.9% certain that I'm sitting on the only copy of these earlier versions of LGM tracks. And I suppose that only one copy of something makes it as rare as rare can be, but now that there's clearly no dosh in it, I'm quite happy to get these out so that people can hear them. I'd always hoped BMG would see the light and do a Velvet Underground 'Fully Loaded' style version of LGM where you get the album + an alternate version of it + bonus tracks. But with spz's sales & profile dropping and the Sony and BMG catalogues merging, that just ain't ever going to happen.

As I'm an artist myself these days who does stuff along the lines of spz, I think what I'll do is post them up on my band website alongside MP3s of my stuff in a couple weeks time (once I've made sure they've secured me the Real Complete Works!). So stay tuned to this message board.

On the subject of Good Dope/Good Fun gossip, are you guys aware that the rather stellar version of it that's on the dedicated sampler disk was something that Jason never wanted people to hear? It was a work in progress that he'd handed in to the label to show how Pure Phase was coming along and he was well pissed off when dedicated whacked it on to a label sampler disk.

In terms of BMG's Complete Works, it wasn't at all a case of Jason wanting to piss off hardcore fans. With Spiritualized leaving BMG after years of unrecouped investment, it was a way for the label to cash in on some of the money they'd put into the band. Also it made a lot of tracks available for the first time for American fans and newer fans, which is something that I know Jason wanted done in the past (whether his attitude changed in the last couple years, I don't know.)

Personally I'm very glad all of those great tracks are no longer rare; it means if my CD collection ever gets stolen, I'm not going to need to spend 10 years tracking them back down.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

poppy wrote:
On the subject of Good Dope/Good Fun gossip, are you guys aware that the rather stellar version of it that's on the dedicated sampler disk was something that Jason never wanted people to hear? It was a work in progress that he'd handed in to the label to show how Pure Phase was coming along and he was well pissed off when dedicated whacked it on to a label sampler disk.

Personally I'm very glad all of those great tracks are no longer rare; it means if my CD collection ever gets stolen, I'm not going to need to spend 10 years tracking them back down.
I heartily agree with you.

I only ever had a rubbish mp3 of 'Run' before CWV1 was released.

If the general availability drives down prices of the originals all the better I think.

Your admirable gesture of making these tracks available is fantastic.

I suggest that if anyone really does possess a copy of the mythical 'The Real Real Real Complete Works Vol 1 - 8' they get in touch with poppy.

poppy you might want to search the board archive for thoughts on the release of 'The Complete Works', I think everyone had something to say on the matter...

"It's an abomination. It reeks of evil and decay"

"Like the Past Masters Beatles records...only with worse artwork"

"Where's the booklet with smiling pictures of the band(s)?"

"HEY GUYS WHATS IS THE DEAL IS THERE HIDDEN TRACKS OR NOT"

"I have never been so offended - ever. This is the greatest insult I have ever suffered. It's like J has pissed on all his fans, but especially me..."

Check it out. :twisted:

PS I'm not surprised that version of GDGF was never intended to be heard by no one, never.

The bass playing is tremendously bad
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

Cheers Poppy!
You surely brought some new vibe to Spiritualized fancy. Amazing back-ground gossip too, really.
Rare is rare is rare.

This thread and thread about 5 first ever concerts brought out some relatively new people to the messageboard, telling some rather personal stories. I'm not looking for stories behind the band (shit like who kissed who and who injected what, thats bullshit), but it's just very fine to read old-timers carving out stories about their experience with Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized.

Time well wired and spent.

Very glad that one old-timer decided to not take rare demo tracks with him to the grave.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

BzaInSpace wrote: "It's an abomination. It reeks of evil and decay"
Was that from Ian Goodchild?

Yeah, understood. Impact with LICD was sort of same (reeks and reeks....), but now many old-timers, fans otherways, have also "understood" the impact of it.

Maybe in the absence of something better (and new) you grow to like whatever there is.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Veiko it's all comedy. I remember whatever site had a Spz forum ('The Ring') around 1998-99 sporadic visits featured claims that 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Flying In Space BP' was 'disappointing' and no doubt 'not as good as their early stuff'.

The music i often immediately enjoy may not move me as much later on, but for me everytime, without exception, Spiritualized (and indeed Spacemen) albums just get better with every listen.

You have to live with this music for a while and it just give increasing returns. Whats all this shit about snap judgements? ''The new album isn't even recorded, but i hate it anyway'' :D

Find another record...perhaps Ryan Adams? He's so real, so soulful.
Last edited by BzaInSpace on Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

BzaInSpace wrote: The music i often immediately enjoy may not move me as much later on, but for me everytime, without exception, Spiritualized (and indeed Spacemen) albums just get better with every listen.
Thats so right. Saturday evening a had a real devilish fever for hearing some good Spacemen 3. So, once again i put on "Playing with fire" demos and had a major blow with "How does it feel?". Absolutly beatiful song. Could be that that very same song turned me on to Spacemen 3. Very impressive stuff.

So i will not bother myself with Loop. Maybe if a prick falls on my toe i will consider checking out "Soundhead".
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

Well, here's a blast from the past. Did these alternate versions ever actually surface?...

Peace.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

I don't think they did...

Original poster 'poppy' is still on this board (s/he posted earlier this month) - poppy, do you still have access to these LGM alternate versions?
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

appledelphy wrote:
clewsr wrote: Also have you thought about hosting these tracks on a bit torrent site? I think sharingthegroove would probably allow it as it is not released material, but not sure. Anyone any ideas?
sharingthegroove is still screwed..(will it ever come back?)

easytree on the other hand is less complicated and up..
I think alternative versions/mixes would be ok as long as they are audiably different?
Sharing the Groove is now dimeadozen.
Same site.

edit : Geez. Just saw the date of the original post.
I'm assuming these tracks are different from what was released on Friendly Fire (except from Any Way that You Want Me - which was not on that).
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Hey. I have the complete works disks 2-7 from about 5 years ago. I'm missing disc 1 but I think that was pretty lame anyway. I would love to trade for this.
dselevan
Known user

Re: New Tracks For Real Complete Works

Post by dselevan »

poppy wrote: By the by - the biggest rarity I'm sitting on is one of the 50 pill pack versions of LAGWAFIS that were sent out to Dedicated label managers with the Elvis version on it. Of course I'd have to destroy it's value by busting it open to check if it's actually on there though. Oh the irony.
I don't know about this. I remember sitting in a record shop in Berkeley listening to the Elvis version. When this came out, a few of my friends got the Elvis version. I don't think these things are as rare as people think. Same as FUI. I got mine in a Bargain Bin in San Diego and never really believed that they only made 10,000 for fan club members only. Do you guys really think these things are so rare? What about the rare records sold on this website? I wish I didn't trash all my old Spiritualized stuff, it was all the collector stuff and I enjoyed it all way too much to ever have any value.
dave
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

dselevan wrote:
poppy wrote: By the by - the biggest rarity I'm sitting on is one of the 50 pill pack versions of LAGWAFIS that were sent out to Dedicated label managers with the Elvis version on it. Of course I'd have to destroy it's value by busting it open to check if it's actually on there though. Oh the irony.
I don't know about this. I remember sitting in a record shop in Berkeley listening to the Elvis version. When this came out, a few of my friends got the Elvis version. I don't think these things are as rare as people think. Same as FUI. I got mine in a Bargain Bin in San Diego and never really believed that they only made 10,000 for fan club members only. Do you guys really think these things are so rare? What about the rare records sold on this website? I wish I didn't trash all my old Spiritualized stuff, it was all the collector stuff and I enjoyed it all way too much to ever have any value.
dave
ah! a true music fan! rare 7 inch-£30, new album-£10, good music- priceless. for everything else there's mastercard
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

I think the 7 inch they are selling looks pretty cool, I just remember seeing tons of those at Amoeba records and Off the Record back in the day, I don't see how rare they can really be.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

In terms of those LGM rarities I posted about ages ago, I've since passed them onto Will Carruthers who I met while working on a Flowers Of Hell track with Sonic in the summer (it's up on http://www.myspace.com/flowersofhell) Those work-in-progress LGM tracks will no doubt surface on a second Friendly Fire album.

But what I'd love to fish for is a copy of the track that was re-recorded for the Toffee Crisp advert back in the day? Anyone got that? If so, lemme know and will sort it out so y'all get it on Friendly Fire 2. Or even better, anyone got a video of the ad?

bunnyben - this is the 50 of the Elvis one's that went out in pill packs, the Elvis version of the album without the pillpack is pretty easy to track down as there were well over 1000 of them pressed. Since my original post I've read that the backs on those 50 are different to the backs on the regular pill packs - and sure enough it's true (so you don't need to bust it open to find out if it's one of the few).

All the best,

P.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:
dave
As far a FUI goes it seems that lots of folks got them new from record shops in the US, whereas not so much over here.

I got mine via eBay and just took my time until I could get in at the last minute with a bid slightly over a reasonable price already showing as the winning bid, eventually one of my bids won by a few pennies! Seems to have been going for silly money recently though.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

Actually FUI was a pressing of 8000 not 10,000 - showing my geekery here, but hell its a messageboard isn't it.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

That said it was the CD pressing that was 8000 but there's also the vinyl of it eh.
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

poppy wrote:That said it was the CD pressing that was 8000 but there's also the vinyl of it eh.
I remember seeing the vinyl of it..It was in all the shops and I couldn't believe it. Was that a real release? And I know they said they made 8,000 but they printed more. I'm telling you, there are at least 15,000 of those things...
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

poppy wrote:That said it was the CD pressing that was 8000 but there's also the vinyl of it eh.
I'm still curious as to why so many folks over the water have found it in new in shops yet I can't recall a Spz fan I know here getting a new copy (either CD or vinyl) except via the fan club thing. As an industry insider can you enlighten us on maybe the commercial rationale that was going on?
dselevan
Known user

Post by dselevan »

Hahaha. Dude I don't think those ever went to the fan club. But I got my CD used. The Vinyl was some kind of reissue that was showing up new in the shops in the late '90s. I don't know how released that, maybe Poppy can tell us.
LunarTunes
Known user

Post by LunarTunes »

poppy wrote:bunnyben - this is the 50 of the Elvis one's that went out in pill packs, the Elvis version of the album without the pillpack is pretty easy to track down as there were well over 1000 of them pressed. Since my original post I've read that the backs on those 50 are different to the backs on the regular pill packs - and sure enough it's true (so you don't need to bust it open to find out if it's one of the few).

All the best,

P.
Hey P.,

First off, by "pill pack" do you mean the single disc version or the one with a CD for each track? And what is the difference on the back?...

Peace.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

dselevan wrote:Hahaha. Dude I don't think those ever went to the fan club. But I got my CD used. The Vinyl was some kind of reissue that was showing up new in the shops in the late '90s. I don't know how released that, maybe Poppy can tell us.
I'm not sure it was a fan club thing (not sure there was a fan club) but by either fair means or foul I know at least 1 person who got the CD (I think) via some other Spz purchase, mailing list or pr excercise.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Just in case anyone needs a 320k mp3 of FUI, I noticed this blog post today:
http://heads2.blogspot.com/2006/11/spir ... nside.html
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

poppy wrote:In terms of those LGM rarities I posted about ages ago, I've since passed them onto Will Carruthers. Those work-in-progress LGM tracks will no doubt surface on a second Friendly Fire album.

But what I'd love to fish for is a copy of the track that was re-recorded for the Toffee Crisp advert back in the day? Anyone got that? If so, lemme know and will sort it out so y'all get it on Friendly Fire 2.
Second release of Friendly Fire? i must be dreaming :shock: :D :D
that will be an absolute pearl.

poppy, have you got already any ideas how long will it take you to release Friendly Fire 2?
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Jebus Sabes wrote:Just in case anyone needs a 320k mp3 of FUI, I noticed this blog post today:
I tried this, but after i download the files i try to extract (its a winrar thingy) them and it sez i need a password.... nothing on the website about it either :?
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:
Jebus Sabes wrote:Just in case anyone needs a 320k mp3 of FUI, I noticed this blog post today:
I tried this, but after i download the files i try to extract (its a winrar thingy) them and it sez i need a password.... nothing on the website about it either :?
pw=bringmetheheads

Found it - top left of page.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Thanks for that! :)
nonk21
Known user

Post by nonk21 »

Hm, I'd really love to get ahold of that version of If I Were With Her Now for possible use in my Spiritualized compilation. I'm also looking for some tracks from The Real Complete Works; if anyone has this, please check out my thread here and see if you can help me out. Thanks!

~ Matt
Life sure is Weird, but what else have I to Know?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

good dope/good fun wrote: Sharing the Groove is now dimeadozen.
Same site.
You are quite wrong there.. STG and EZT were the two biggest bt trackers for bootlegs and shows. > Then stg got shut down and a year or two after that EZT/easytree changed its name to dimeadozen/DAD.

not that it matters anymore :roll:
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

poppy, have you got already any ideas how long will it take you to release Friendly Fire 2?
Naw man - it ain't me that put that out or that'll be putting out the second one. Doubt the second one will get called Friendly Fire 2 now given that Friendly Fire's the title of the new Sean Lennon album!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

poppy wrote:
Naw man - it ain't me that put that out or that'll be putting out the second one. Doubt the second one will get called Friendly Fire 2 now given that Friendly Fire's the title of the new Sean Lennon album!
his dad ripped off the blues now he's ripping of a bluesman, shocking :wink:
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I think it's more appropiate to say his dad reinvogorated the blues. You can't accuse early Beatles of ripping off the blues - it was their inspiration...who else did you expect to influence them...Glen Miller?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

In the mood:
Beatles producer George Martin had the orchestra play a little bit of this song at the end of "All You Need Is love."
They also used the same studio at abbey road, but I think spz did too..
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mojo filters wrote:I think it's more appropiate to say his dad reinvogorated the blues. You can't accuse early Beatles of ripping off the blues - it was their inspiration...who else did you expect to influence them...Glen Miller?
i like glen miller. :D
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

What? Someone ripped off the blues? God that's horrible and shocking. The RIAA ought to pursue the arrest of anyone committing such a crime.
captainbeyond
Known user

Hey Poppy, now that Blue On Blue is out...

Post by captainbeyond »

Hey Poppy, now that Blue On Blue is out...

did those EXTREMELY rare alt. versions from the LGM sessions you kept under your wing, and eventually gave to Mr. Carruthers (my favorite bassman for spz) make it on BOB? Which ones are they?

Thanks for helping me hear variations on what became, for me, the greatest psychedelic record of all time!