Collectors Edition

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Re: Collectors Edition

Post by sunray »

Vancouver wrote:No email for me yet...
Did your prescription arrive yet Vancouver? Got mine today, had to be signed for. Very nice but smaller than i expected judging by the photo someone had put up of theirs, guess it was an extreme close up!

Number 151, i wonder who got 3, 33, or 333? I was hoping to get one of them. :)
Last edited by sunray on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I ended up with #44.
Vancouver
Known user

Post by Vancouver »

Yep, mine arrived this week. Forgot to mention it here. Glad everything is getting straightened out for people.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Supposedly there are still copies available.

Get on this!
PeshoG
Known user

Post by PeshoG »

Yeah man. I've come so close to buying it so many times now but I just can't justify spending that much money on something that I'm A)Never going to open and B) Already have numerous copies of in different formats. I would pay that much for a vinyl repressing of it all, but that's about it.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

toomilk wrote:Supposedly there are still copies available.

Get on this!
You're not trying to get the rest of us to buy this so it sells out and pushes up the value of your copy are you Toomilk?! :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Ads wrote:
toomilk wrote:Supposedly there are still copies available.

Get on this!
You're not trying to get the rest of us to buy this so it sells out and pushes up the value of your copy are you Toomilk?! :wink:
Exactly my plan! moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

What would the importance of 3, 33, or 333 be???

i have Guitar Loops #333
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

three is the magic number? power of three? spacemen 3? :?
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

laid back in the sun wrote:three is the magic number? power of three? spacemen 3? :?
It's my favourite number, plus all of the above.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

PeshoG wrote:Yeah man. I've come so close to buying it so many times now but I just can't justify spending that much money on something that I'm A)Never going to open and B) Already have numerous copies of in different formats. I would pay that much for a vinyl repressing of it all, but that's about it.
I'm with you on that. Spiritualized is the only band that I feel the need to buy collector's versions of things that i'll buy just to complete a collection, but even that said, I can't justify the cash for something that I won't open; something that would sit on the shelf like a trophy. And if there's any album that would get me to buy something like this, it's LAGWAFIS. I haven't listened to the Complete Works 1 and 2 in forever, and i'm also a firm believer of having the best mix on the album to stand up as the definitive track. Remixes and demos and stuff like that are cool and interesting, but even "Blue On Blue" I rarely listen to.
captainbeyond
Known user

Post by captainbeyond »

Holy cow these demos and early versions are awesome! Man is that Rocket Shaped Song cool! The Home of the Brave demo is much preferred. It becomes obvious that the final version of this record is extremely polished and careful (perhaps too much, as some of the tracks failed to excite me at the time), while many of these early versions/demos are often absolutely huge-sounding and raw. I like 'em that way!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

captainbeyond wrote:Holy cow these demos and early versions are awesome! Man is that Rocket Shaped Song cool! The Home of the Brave demo is much preferred. It becomes obvious that the final version of this record is extremely polished and careful (perhaps too much, as some of the tracks failed to excite me at the time), while many of these early versions/demos are often absolutely huge-sounding and raw. I like 'em that way!
Agreed. I think most of the demos are far better than the cold and overly polished versions that made the album. Which leads to mixed feelings about the format of the bonus material. On one hand, it's really fascinating the way it's organized to show how the tracks came together -- on the other, I think I'd prefer full versions of much of what's on the discs for mixes and so forth to supplant the inferior album versions.

And it's amazing to me that Beautiful Happiness and Rocket Shaped Song weren't released as B-sides at the time. Those would easily have been highlights of the 2nd volume of The Complete Works.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

I can't think of a single demo on this that I prefer to the album version. I like how they clearly show the bridge between Pure Phase and LAGWAFIS, but they sound to me like works in progress (which, of course, is what they are).

I do enjoy listening to them though.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

They're great, but I agree they cannot compare with the finished, spell-binding article. That album - I wouldn't change a thing. One of the 'Electricty' takes sounds a bit more garagey and less wall-of-electric sound, but even so.

I also think that this particular 'deluxe' style release really sets a precedent on how good these 'deluxe' albums could be with a bit of imagination. The tracks all flowing through each other was inpsired and is hardly like the majority or rereleases - a bunch of hastily prepared demos or needless live tracks bolted on a second CD.

(When I saw the x amount of versions of the title-track I did wonder what it would be like. But the way they all run together is beautiful and amazing and far more than the sum of it's parts IMO.)

Case in point, the same day I got the Ladies and Gentlemen... 3CD set, I also bought Tricky's Maxinquaye deluxe edition, as it is also a favourite from the same epoch.

Waste of time. I notice no better sound on the album itself (does it need any enhancement anyway? See Ladies and Gentlemen...) and the extra disc of tracks are mainly crap. Just dull 'monitor' mixes and some 2009 re-workings that just don't work. At all.

When the 'Deluxe Editions' ie moneyspinners - "you've bought it once...now buy it again!" first appeared there was some great releases that added so much to the originals...the Marvin Gaye albums and the James Brown Live at The Apollo Vol II ones were...smashing.

However, in pursuit of coin, they have mostly become pretty much non-essential. Bring on more like the Ladies and Gentlemen...set. Like... Let It Come Down ?!! :D
O P 8
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Oh man, imagine a Let it Come Down version of this! There would be around 40 cds of Jason sitting at a piano picking out every note. Then a million drafts of the orchestrations, plus re-writes. I'd love it!
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

BzaInSpace wrote:Bring on more like the Ladies and Gentlemen...set. Like... Let It Come Down ?!! :D
Yes please! Plus another ATP Dont't Look Back round of concerts if possible - I think it would really suit that album.

PS Hi there Baz, I'm fine thanks for asking :D
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:They're great, but I agree they cannot compare with the finished, spell-binding article. That album - I wouldn't change a thing. One of the 'Electricty' takes sounds a bit more garagey and less wall-of-electric sound, but even so.
To me Electricity is a song that has paled over time next to subsequent songs from the same template -- Twelve Steps, much of Amazing Grace, Yeah Yeah, etc. -- because they are so much rawer and more garagey, so hearing Electricity a little less studied is a real pleasure. I've long felt that Come Together is the song that came out the worst on the LP, and generally listen to the Abbey Road EP version or the radio session on disk 2 of The Complete Works, but the demos for that are pretty cool too. As much as I love pretty much every version of Broken Heart, there's a special intimacy to the demo version that I find incomparable -- I'm mad that I had to wait so many years for it!
BzaInSpace wrote:I also think that this particular 'deluxe' style release really sets a precedent on how good these 'deluxe' albums could be with a bit of imagination. The tracks all flowing through each other was inpsired and is hardly like the majority or rereleases - a bunch of hastily prepared demos or needless live tracks bolted on a second CD.

(When I saw the x amount of versions of the title-track I did wonder what it would be like. But the way they all run together is beautiful and amazing and far more than the sum of it's parts IMO.)

When the 'Deluxe Editions' ie moneyspinners - "you've bought it once...now buy it again!" first appeared there was some great releases that added so much to the originals...the Marvin Gaye albums and the James Brown Live at The Apollo Vol II ones were...smashing.

However, in pursuit of coin, they have mostly become pretty much non-essential. Bring on more like the Ladies and Gentlemen...set. Like... Let It Come Down ?!! :D
Agree with you on the Marvin Gaye ones -- except for What's Goin' On. I didn't find the "original detroit mix" very illuminating and the live show is pretty redundant if you already have one or more of his other live albums. Another gold standard is the 4 disc Stone Roses box -- I'm not a huge fan of the bonus demos, but the sound is incredibly improved and it's very nice to have everything from that era in one tidy package. Except for the glaring omission of the longer Elephant Stone with the backwards drums extended intro.

Let It Come Down would make a great package. Doubt we'll see a physical release of it, since it's neither legendary nor a huge seller, but would love to hear tracks like Anything More, Stop Your Crying, Don't Just Do Something, and Won't Get To Heaven coming together in more stripped down renditions.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

BzaInSpace wrote:That album - I wouldn't change a thing.
Seconded.

I know not everyone agrees with this, but to me it is the perfect album. Ever. All time. Etc etc. That's why I flew to London to see the "only two" LAGWAFIS shows. Ultimately, the only thing I regret is not applying for citizenship. Meeting dozens of board members and talking music was an experience I'll never forget.

I love the collectors edition. Great insight without spoiling the songs. The LAGWAFIS sequence is exquisite. How the demos cut and fade between one another is beautiful. Why they didn't do it with the most of other tracks beats me...maybe most weren't good enough...but I feel like J spent his load on the title track's demos, and the others (esp. the second disc) seemed rushed. It's definitely a brilliant idea--to present old demos in a new/engaging/through-playable format--but I wish it would have been true for the entire album.