Collectors Edition

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spazed99
Known user

Collectors Edition

Post by spazed99 »

Sony were unable to release the collector's edition so ATP Recordings have stepped in:

Label:
ATP Recordings
Cat No:
ATPRCD36
Format:
Collectors Edition CD Box set

Pre Sale Date: Monday 23rd November 2009
Release Date: Wednesday 16th December 2009
Label: ATP Recordings / Spaceman_
Catalogue No: ATPRCD36
Format: Collectors Box Set / Strictly Limited Edition of 1000
Boxset Contains:
. 12 x 3” Prescription Pack CD’s packaged in a foil tray
. 2 x 5” CD’s containing 35 unreleased versions & outtakes
. Digital Download Code for the original album
. Individual Prescription Cards signed by J.Spaceman
. Strictly Limited Edition of 1000
. Brand New Artwork by the original designers Farrow & Spaceman

ATP Recordings / Spaceman are pleased to be able to offer the very limited collectors edition. This includes 12 x 3” Mini CD’s of the complete album track-by-track, a homage to the original release. This will be accompanied by 2 bonus discs.
For those who don’t wish to open the blister pack, each unit will come with a code to download the original album in MP3 format.
Limited to just 1000 units, each collectors edition will come with a prescription numbered out of 1000 and signed by J Spaceman. Anyone who pre-orders the collectors edition before November 30th can have their own name, or name of their choosing printed on the prescription.
The Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space Collectors edition, will be sent out from the UK on December 16th. If you do not wish to pay postage and handling, there will be an option to pick it up from the Barbican show on December 16th or 17th.
Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space Collectors edition is available for £125 + postage and handling.
AVAILABLE FROM 3PM GMT MONDAY NOVEMBER 23RD AT www.lagwafis.com
mkb
Known user

Re: Collectors Edition

Post by mkb »

That's good news about the mp3 download code. It's expensive, but I expected that anyway.

Now I just hope I get one.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Will there be a option to pick it up from the Manchester show?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

There is no way I can justify 125GBP for this. I'll be shocked if all 1,000 sell. I bet a lot of them go to ebayers hoping to make money off of them a few years down the road. I'm sticking with the 3xcd version.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Yeah - it's hard to justify. I've got the original 12 x cd and that will have to do me!
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

An execllent looking package, and hopefully the build quality will be right...

Got the pill T shirt recently (in blister pack). Collectors word of caution (of the CD pack) - the foil covering for the T shirt was nearly unstuck when purchased, as it seems the foil doesn't really want to stick to the plastic. It kind of stuck back down, but keeps lifting if left in a slightly warm room. Not a real issue, as not bought to collect, but hope that same doesn't happen for CDs, particularly this pack.

On flipside, was looking at my original 1997 (one pill) copy recently - the foil on that is firmly in place still, except for the gap I had to make to prise the CD out...

SM
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

125 quid!!!!! :shock:

I like the "if you don't want to damage the package, it comes with a special download code for the original album" spin.

I mean is there anyone buying the collector's edition that doesn't already have the album?

Incidentally, does anyone know what the original 12CD blister pack goes for these days?

I'm sure there will be people who say "if you don't agree/like/approve, you don't have to buy it".

This is, of course, so very true.
CatMole
Known user

Post by CatMole »

wow! £££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Nice to own, but hard to see that as an investment?
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

by my reckoning thats twenty one different versions of lagwafis which is serious overkill imo! i'll buy it but i seriously hope thats the last ever version! :?
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

WOW, was the reaction just like the rest of you. I had to do a conversion of 125 quid to American dollars and it came out to $206.61 for the 12x3'' limited cd package. $206.00! Crickey, that's a lot of money in these uncertain times. I already have the original 12x3'' limited cd package that came out 10 years ago (StILL FOIL WRAPPED/UNOPENED) and I really can't justify getting it again {albeit} ' different packaging cover '. I did like the concept of having my name on the prescription, but still I don't think I'm going to get another duplicate of this. Yeah, I'd be suprised if they sold more than 200 of these things ... Sorry, Jase, nice idea for the spacemen, but not all of us are rolling in money these days ... :(
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

i will buy it. the money will give me the next day the headeache, but the collection needs his new blood. did someone really thought that this would be cheap. the re-issue is a new-ass proud-ass. fucking hard to not buy other music in december, but thats the "hand ball" and we have to accept the play. rules? what fucking rules?? i don't care about my name on the box. why? i don't need that thing to be personified. see!? i told you. and i'm not angry at all. uncertain times indeed. so, maybe i will get sacked next month. i can't predict that shit. whatever, i will invest into that.
anyway, just in recent weeks i am a proud owner of a japanese version of the original album. amen. and i don't even have the single disc blister blast-off. i have the twelve disc blister dweller. having the simple original disc was good enough so far. i have the fuel for the new rocket. maybe the timing could be better and we could score it after the christmas rush, but fuck the wishful thinking.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I'm with Veiko. It will hurt, but it will be done.
eelnekwah
Known user

Post by eelnekwah »

Here here
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Man, thats a lot of dough. And, yes, I did think it wouldn't be cheap....but £125?! Just before Xmas its going to be a big ask. Don't think I can justify that kind of money to be honest. But surely that doesn't make me any less of a fan. Glad to see they're going to include the download codes though so no one has that awful decision about whether to open it up or not. It would be a jewel in anyone's collection though wouldn't it? Oh God, I'm talking myself round into buying it!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

in the spirit of the holidays, my only purchase will be the collectors edition and playing the mp3s for the family during dinner. It's the least I could do for them :wink:
I think I feel it coming on
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

this is why there are only 1000 :lol: :lol: :lol: i hope i can get one of the thousand!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

It's a lot of money, but look at the facts. There's only 1000 of them, they must have cost quite a bit to manufacture, and Sony aren't touching it with a 10-foot pole, meaning that there's likely sufficient cause to doubt it'll recover even the manufacturing costs.

I think it's great of the band to release something like this, but at the end of the day they do also have to pragmatic and realistic. Even musicians need to be able to afford to eat and put roofs over their heads at times. I don't think anyone's making enormous profits from it, instead I see it as a nice gesture to people. You don't have to buy it; ultimately there's nothing on it that won't be available elsewhere, so it comes down to ownership of the artefact vs the music.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

mh wrote: meaning that there's likely sufficient cause to doubt it'll recover even the manufacturing costs.
I'd be surprised if it cost anywhere near 125 grand to manufacture.

I'll be picking one up hopefully.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'll be swallowing hard, then pre-ordering on Monday. As a die-hard collector I can hardly refuse really....
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I recently dug up my signed copy of Spaceshipp, which I immediately copied onto my computer when I bought it but haven't listened to since. I'm pretty content with the collection I have and don't see the need for something that expensive.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

It looks good and would feel sweet to own but I couldn't justify it even if I wasn't as skint as I am. Putting your name on it is a nice touch that gave me sweaty palms for a while but I still couldn't do it. Also putting some name on it will devalue it wont it? Not that I would buy it to sell. I think I'd hold out for an original collectors edition if ever I could sort out my finances.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

They are making a good chunk. I looked into some packaging things like this lately.

I'm not on the boat. I think it's a sham.

Best,

Mark
Design.
Prince Bishop
Known user

Post by Prince Bishop »

aww, I'd love to get this but as a student it costs more than half of all the money I've got in the world to live on until february :(
spazed99
Known user

Post by spazed99 »

Whether you buy it or not is your decision but stop bloody whining about it. Ill informed remarks about packaging etc are just showing your ignorance. Apart from packaging there were a number of extensive others costs incurred by ATP in licensing the collectors edition above and beyond the basic packaging costs. No one is making a fortune from this release but we thought making it available was integral to the re-issue, Sony didnt so ATP have stepped in.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Manufacturing costs are also higher for smaller numbers of items. There are various templates/etc that need to be made, and these are generally fixed cost irrespective of the final number that are made, or at best are a high upfront cost irrespective with a small per item cost (that's a basic law of mass-production). If 100,000 of these had been made you would find that the cost would be significantly lower.
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

"For those who don’t wish to open the blister pack, each unit will come with a code to download the original album in MP3 format."
hahaha. nice.

there are many elements to be troubled with.
however, i want it. i'll try to become the 1 of 1,000.
and i'll open it. cause, i think, tablet is a thing to take it.

i'll be happy if i can receive it in Barbican on Dec. but it's so hard.
perhaps the package is destroyed when i was able to receive it. (12 years ago, it was so.) :cry:
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spazed99 wrote:Whether you buy it or not is your decision but stop bloody whining about it. Ill informed remarks about packaging etc are just showing your ignorance. Apart from packaging there were a number of extensive others costs incurred by ATP in licensing the collectors edition above and beyond the basic packaging costs. No one is making a fortune from this release but we thought making it available was integral to the re-issue, Sony didnt so ATP have stepped in.
Like I said, I'm in on this as I always want to support Jason when I'm able. My only hope is that packaging for international shipping is very substantial so the goods arrive in mint condition :!:

About the personalized name on the prescription: I'm still thinking on this but am kicking around "Jesus Christ" "The Devil" or "The Broken Hearted." Anyone else thinking of something other than their own name?
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

l be picking one up hopefully. And i hope they will pack it well so the goods arrive in mint condition.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Just be yourself, Purespace. That's all I can ask. :)
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

spacemanrich wrote:Just be yourself, Purespace. That's all I can ask. :)
:D
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

12 years ago i was living in Chicago and my local hipster record shop had a 12 3" cd box for $175. Any others I saw started at $150. So given the 12 years and inflation its seems about right. Yes it is a lot of money but it was back then too.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

spazed99 wrote:Whether you buy it or not is your decision but stop bloody whining about it.
Absolutely - that's the last word as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter how much something costs or if we think it's value or not. If it's too expensive or you think it's not worth it just don't buy it.

I never saw this as an investment opportunity, rather a very nice collectors piece - just like the other 12 x 3" CD pack.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

perhaps people feeling the pinch should club together and have a disc each
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

It's not about the money in my opinion, Yes I do agree it's a persons choice and I made mine.

Thank You!

M
Design.
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Hey, those of you who think it's too 'expensive,' quit your bitching and stop trying to convince others that it's a 'sham.' That's so fuckin' ridiculous. I can't even imagine putting Jason Pierce and sham in the same sentence. I think most everything he does, in regards to packaging and special releases are for the fans. I think he gets genuine enjoyment from giving something back to his fans who have supported him all these years. Living in the US, I will buy the 12-disc collection priced at $200+. That's how I get to show my love for his music and thank him for all the enjoyment and for being there when my life was going into the crapper. He was always there for me. In spirit, I mean.

I bet all you who think this package is way too expensive wouldn't think twice about spending this much on a weekend of drinking and drugging and god know what else. Shit, if you don't want it, DON'T FUCKIN' BUY IT. No one cares why you won't buy it. But here's what I do know: those of you who don't buy it will surely be scanning the file-sharing sites for some low-rent copy of the bonus discs. I guess because you think you're entitled to them?

Plus, like I've said a million times before, the money Jason makes from these releases will allow him to make more music, which is what we all want. He doesn't have major label backing. He doesn't have wads of royalty money coming to him. This is all he has to work with. Recording an album in not free nor is it cheap.

That's all I got for now. Feels like I'm talking to a wall. :shock:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

slidesong wrote: But here's what I do know: those of you who don't buy it will surely be scanning the file-sharing sites for some low-rent copy of the bonus discs. I guess because you think you're entitled to them?
I reckon people who can't afford the 12 will be buying the 3-disc version. :roll:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Mussels
Known user

Post by Mussels »

Slidesong:

Yes, you are talking to a wall, so shut up! :evil:
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Now come on guys. lets be nice. you'd all be mad if spazed had come on here and said 'Sony pulled the plug so make do with three discs'. They've obviously had to bust some balls and some wallets to get the licensing from Sony. I wish i could get one. Sadly, i can't afford one. But that's clearly a absolutely amazing package, considering the cd's is supposedly on it's last legs and all that hoo-ha, and if that's what it costs, then that's what it costs. It's not your common or garden boxset, after all....

And i think they'll sell. I, for one, don't think I have the willpower :wink:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

sunray wrote:
slidesong wrote: But here's what I do know: those of you who don't buy it will surely be scanning the file-sharing sites for some low-rent copy of the bonus discs. I guess because you think you're entitled to them?
I reckon people who can't afford the 12 will be buying the 3-disc version. :roll:
Yeah, I already pre-ordered the 3-disc set. The more I mull this over, the more I think that the 3-cd set will bring me just as much joy as the 12-disc version. Cool out, man!
slidesong
Known user

Post by slidesong »

Mussels wrote:Slidesong:

Yes, you are talking to a wall, so shut up! :evil:
Hey Mussels, just out of curiosity, I went to your profile and clicked on the link that listed every post you've ever made. You have not written one productive or intelligent post during your entire time here. You should be proud. That's all I have to say about you.

I, for one, am on a very tight budget as well, but I will be buying the 12x3" set. I missed buying it first time around and it is practically the only official release I don't own by Spiritualized. I can count on one hand the releases I don't have. Even though this is a re-issue, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to the original release. And, I'm telling you all right now, these 2 extra discs of outtakes and multiple version evolutiosn of each song on the album is really going to fantastic. I think these songs are going to be fascinating to listen to. Maybe not to the casual fan, but to a fanantic and collector like me and many others here, I will cherish this stuff. Rarely do you ever get a glimpse into the making and evolution of a groundbreaking, classic album such as this.

Yes, $200+ for the 12x3" edition is a little steep, but for me, and many others, it will be worth every penny.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

This is a second attempt to post this, the first dissappeared:

I reckon that the Collector's Edition is relatively cheap. Last time I listened to "Ladies and Gents" it cost me:

Quantas flight from Melbourne to London: $Jesus!
Cost of staying in UK hotels: $Ouch!
Eating out in London: $Pain!
Buying a few beers in London: $Ache!
Total: $Fuckmeragged!!

Value for Money: Totally!

Now I'm not rich and hope nobody is rude enough to suggest I'm stupid. I've given up smoking (and life ain't fun without ciggarettes) and no longer drive. Both decisions were good for the finances and my health, so by saving a bit I can do things like buy the Collectors Edition/travel a bit. I realise that others here probably have made even bigger sacrifices just to make ends meet, so if this appears trite, I apologise.

Bottom line: if you can afford it and want it then buy it. If you feel its not worth the money or is a rip-off, then don't. I don't believe it is a rip-off FWIW.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Amen to that Olan.

Even living in London my first night L&G experience was well north of a hunge, and all I had to show for that was a crumpled ticked and a shocking headache!!

Let alone flying in from Oz....
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

runcible wrote:
spazed99 wrote:Whether you buy it or not is your decision but stop bloody whining about it.
Absolutely - that's the last word as far as I'm concerned. It doesn't matter how much something costs or if we think it's value or not. If it's too expensive or you think it's not worth it just don't buy it.

I never saw this as an investment opportunity, rather a very nice collectors piece - just like the other 12 x 3" CD pack.
Completely agree but can't help thinking that a luxury vinyl copy should have been the road to go down :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

now on sale half an hour later than previously advertised!
laid back in the sun
Known user

still says on sale from 3pm when i click on the link spazed gave at the start of this topic :?
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

i have the circumstances that must leave my desk 20 minutes later!
noooooooo.
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

still says on sale from 3pm when i click on the link spazed gave at the start of this topic
"Pre-order here from 3.30PM GMT Monday November 23rd, 2009 (please excuse the slight delay)"

Is what it says underneath the picture on mine.
laid back in the sun
Known user

yeah its changed to that on mine now too. better not be any more delays i've gotta get back to work soon
laid back in the sun
Known user

im getting impatient now! :evil:
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Urry up ya c**ts I've got a meeting to go to at 4pm!!!!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

if this is anything like the other releases we'll still be here in 5 years :lol: :lol: on a more serious note hurry up!!! :lol:
jesus son
Known user

Post by jesus son »

perhaps he changed his mind about re-mastering at the last minute?
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

do we order from the lagwafis page or atp page?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

cheers mate , perhaps GMT = Guyana Mean Time!!!!! :evil:
laid back in the sun
Known user

jason pierce owes me a new f5 button! :evil:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

i'm bored, anyone know any good jokes?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

bunnyben wrote:i'm bored, anyone know any good jokes?
This shambles?!
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Ads wrote:
This shambles?!
that was my first thought but that was too easy. any others?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Yeah, all of us lot sitting here worrying about when we'll get the chance to spunk £125 on something we'll never play...
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Greeny wrote:
Yeah, all of us lot sitting here worrying about when we'll get the chance to spunk £125 on something we'll never play...
:lol: :lol:

now i know how they felt when the berlin wall came down :roll: :wink: :lol:
wakeup
Known user

Post by wakeup »

?????????
wakeup
Known user

Post by wakeup »

i have a lot of things to do, come on!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

bunnyben wrote:
now i know how they felt when the berlin wall came down :roll: :wink: :lol:
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Goodnightgoodnight on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mine now says delayed untill 2010...
solarflarez