the 3-Disc Special Edition

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Starfish
Known user

the 3-Disc Special Edition

Post by Starfish »

Oh noes! There's a sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap explaining how special the Special Edition is... what do I do?

Do I peel it off and risk devaluing the product? Should I frame the sticker in a separate display? Maybe I can restick it onto the CD case? What happens if I rip the sticker during the peel-off process?

Damn them. It's a cynical ploy to get me to buy two copies, don't think I don't know....

Wonder if they'll re-release Pure Phase and how they'd go about beating a luminous box in the packaging?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Re: the 3-Disc Special Edition

Post by MODLAB »

Ha!

M
Design.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

Leave it all in tact and download the full 3 disc set from amazon for £4.98.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... QNCE40KCLM
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Or do what I did - peel the sticker off (carefully), and stick it onto the back of the packaging. Then bliss out at Ladies And Gentlemen (Acappella with lead vocal)...
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

rameses wrote:Leave it all in tact and download the full 3 disc set from amazon for £4.98.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASI ... QNCE40KCLM
No! don't do that! Its madness, sheer madness I tell you.

Break the seal. Get Wasted, Pour Red Wine over it.

I am loving disk one by the way. Ladies and Gents sounds like Christmas, the Come Together takes sound better than the real song, I think I'm in love has developed AC/DC riff to kick it off, and there is a brilliant Lous Reed-esque call from Jason for the singers to start singing. Plus, Beautifull Happiness is Electric Mainline crossed with Luminesence.

I haven't even started on disk two.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

clewsr wrote:Break the seal. Get Wasted, Pour Red Wine over it.
I heartily agree. Do it!
clewsr wrote: Ladies and Gents sounds like Christmas, the Come Together takes sound better than the real song...
Those accapellas sound extraordinary - outer space doo-wop!
And Come Together is mad - sounds like a Pure Phase tune.
clewsr wrote:...there is a brilliant Lou Reed-esque call from Jason for the singers to start singing.
Might just be the best Spiritualized moment ever! :D The singers sound fantastic when they do.
O P 8
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Whenever i think i want to keep the sticker (which i do often......sadly), i just normally take off the shrink wrap with the sticker on it and cut the sticker out, with the foil on the back of it. Then i just slip it in the packaging.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i cheaped out and bought it on itunes. i'm so broke right now- my credit cards are maxed out and with all of the christmas shopping i still have left to do i couldn't justify spending $60 to order one on import.
i've only started listening to the first disc of extras but special kudos to jason for the way that he's strung the outtakes together- it's taking my breath away! it's fucking BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I haven't got mine yet, but there are some great suggestions here. I'm drooling all over my keyboard. (Gross!)
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
A saint
Known user

Post by A saint »

I just grabbed this from Amazon (the MP3 version, I mean), and it sounds fantastic. Utterly agree that the outtakes are wonderful: they weave together so beautifully, and rather than just being an aggregation of scraps (as I half-feared), they really light up and enlarge the whole. Even tunes I never loved--Cool Waves, Home of the Brave--are exciting to hear in their development. Love this.
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

Have to say it's a quality product, I'm just loving the black cd's :!:
'Remember, change is not good'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

clewsr wrote: Break the seal. Get Wasted, Pour Red Wine over it.
This is the funniest thing i've read in a long time. hahahaha.

All your comments on the bonus discs is making me sad. I probably won't have my copy for another month! We'll see if I can get my hands on the 3-disc before then.
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
flamingrev
Known user

Post by flamingrev »

Okay, so I know this has probably been answered here multiple times, but I'm asking anyways...

The 3 disc set is only going to be available as an import to the USA? Is that right?

So if we don't want to pay at least $50, we gotta do itunes?
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Anyone else less than impressed by the condition of the blister pack?
I just got my copy from Amazon this morning - did just like toomilk and cut out the sticker to keep it in the case - but then I wasn't very happy with what the blister pack looks like:
http://home.clara.net/flokemon/lagwafis/blister1.jpg

And even worse: there's a hole in it - it must've been broken during packaging!
http://home.clara.net/flokemon/lagwafis/blister2.jpg

Not sure I can get a replacement due to this? What do you guys think?

Oh and while I've just put SP60 on just now, I've actually already listened to the 2 CDs on Spotify this week.
The end to "I think I'm in love - Vocal demo Jan 96" had me :shock: :lol:
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

flamingrev wrote:Okay, so I know this has probably been answered here multiple times, but I'm asking anyways...

The 3 disc set is only going to be available as an import to the USA? Is that right?

maybe amazon downloads? or maybe on 'unoffical' download places
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

flamingrev wrote:Okay, so I know this has probably been answered here multiple times, but I'm asking anyways...

Yeah, not even sure if the single-disc will be available as a non-import in the states - or at least it doesn't look like it yet. My plan (though not complete well thought out) is to wait until the prices come down a bit and order them from a british site. I don't know if I can wait that long for the 3-disc, but it seems like a solid plan for the single disc.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

toomilk wrote: Yeah, not even sure if the single-disc will be available as a non-import in the states - or at least it doesn't look like it yet. My plan (though not complete well thought out) is to wait until the prices come down a bit and order them from a british site. I don't know if I can wait that long for the 3-disc, but it seems like a solid plan for the single disc.
i think that's become my plan too- i'm okay with just having the extras as mp3s- but i am pretty sure i'm going to order the single-disc version after the holidays. i wouldn't be surprised if the special edition just showed up at stores in the states because i remember the special edition of 'songs in a&e' looking to be an import-only kind of item and then all of a sudden it started showing up in the record stores (same with the black vinyl).
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Actually, both the vinyl and the special edition versions of A&E were pressed in the states, which is why you probably saw them in stores for a not-so-ridiculous price.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The only copies of A&E that I saw on vinyl in Chicago were $40, which I think is a ridiculous price, even for a double LP set.

I got my 3xcd L&G reissue today from amazon.co.uk in perfect condition. I listened to SP 50 (the first of the two bonus discs) and it's tremendous. I was actually a lot more into it than I thought I might be. Can't wait to dig into it further.
nimatiks
Known user

Post by nimatiks »

Just received the 3 cd box set!!! It' s great! I love it!!!... Do I open it?!... no, I don' t think so... shite! What a dilemma! :lol:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just ordered my 3-disc from the cheapest possible (i fucking hope) way that I found through hours of scouring the internetz.

Action Records has the record for 29.95 GBP. Noticed that The Fall (god bless 'em) Fansite has a code for a 10% discount at the Action Records site....making the total 26.95 GBP. For us Americans, that's $44. Not too bad, but I don't want to resort to getting it used in a year's time for the same price.

PS: If you want to do the same thing I did, the coupon code is "fallnet".

PPS: Action Records is an independent store, so it will make you feel a little less guilty.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Not only that Action Records will also deduct the GST tax lowering your price by another 4-5 quid if you are having it sent to US address. Bonus!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

Having listened to the extra discs, I'm in two minds about how I feel about them really. On the one hand they provide a bridge between "Pure Phase" and "Ladies and Gents..." which at times is really exciting (the Come Together demos particularly) but I've struggled with some of the other demos. And here's why.

I grew up with Spiritualized. I first heard them when I bought LGM following the NME review. No context, nothing. Loved it. Bought Fucked Up Inside and Pure Phase on trust. Loved 'em.

Throughout the Nineties I avidly bought new product but, having no transport, never had the opportunity to see the band in the flesh and so missed most of the development of the songs. Finally, in 1997, I had a car and could go and see Jason et al in the flesh on the LAGWAFIS tour. Bristol, October 1997.

Everything changed. Jesus, if only I was articulate enough to explain how that gig affected me.

So, from then on going to the the gigs is as much as of an obsession as collecting the albums is. Cue ten-plus years of love.

Somehow, in a weird way, hearing these demos (and the Will Carruthers LGM equivalents) feels like seeing the most beautiful girl in the world shaving her legs. You know she does it but don't want to think about it . I imagined Jason went into a studio and, 70 minutes later, a fully formed classic emerged. That was how my SPZ experience informed the albums. Somehow this release "normalises" the albums themselves. That's not a criticism...just an observation on how the mystique of a band builds...and builds...and builds...
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Your metaphor about "the most beautiful girl in the world shaving her legs" is interesting because I have the exact opposite reaction, especially regarding LAGWAFIS. I think Spaceman achieved sonic perfection on LGM, but I've always felt that the next 3 albums were overproduced. This is not to say that there aren't incredible and perfect moments on each LP, or that there aren't many virtues to the final mixes, but imho songs like These Blues, Come Together, On Fire, etc. sound overcooked and lack the grit/energy we've heard in demos and live versions. I've only listened to about a third of the new LAGWAFIS demos so far, but I am very impressed and personally prefer the sound and energy of the demos to the constrained and overly sanitary album mixes.

Rather than looking at the most beautiful girl in the world shaving her legs, I think I'd describe it as finally getting to see a gorgeous but insecure girl without extra layers of makeup caked on.

throb wrote:Having listened to the extra discs, I'm in two minds about how I feel about them really. On the one hand they provide a bridge between "Pure Phase" and "Ladies and Gents..." which at times is really exciting (the Come Together demos particularly) but I've struggled with some of the other demos. And here's why.

I grew up with Spiritualized. I first heard them when I bought LGM following the NME review. No context, nothing. Loved it. Bought Fucked Up Inside and Pure Phase on trust. Loved 'em.

Throughout the Nineties I avidly bought new product but, having no transport, never had the opportunity to see the band in the flesh and so missed most of the development of the songs. Finally, in 1997, I had a car and could go and see Jason et al in the flesh on the LAGWAFIS tour. Bristol, October 1997.

Everything changed. Jesus, if only I was articulate enough to explain how that gig affected me.

So, from then on going to the the gigs is as much as of an obsession as collecting the albums is. Cue ten-plus years of love.

Somehow, in a weird way, hearing these demos (and the Will Carruthers LGM equivalents) feels like seeing the most beautiful girl in the world shaving her legs. You know she does it but don't want to think about it . I imagined Jason went into a studio and, 70 minutes later, a fully formed classic emerged. That was how my SPZ experience informed the albums. Somehow this release "normalises" the albums themselves. That's not a criticism...just an observation on how the mystique of a band builds...and builds...and builds...
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I just got mine today, and although I'm not too thrilled with the packaging, (it's a little cheap in my opinion) I love the material. I guess the packaging is about what you'd expect for a CD/digital edition. It's too bad there wasn't a vinyl "ultimate edition."
jahman
Known user

Post by jahman »

just downloaded this from amazon -$17
hearing the demos and different mixes reminded me of why I love Spz, they capture the raw essence of what makes them
special. you can hear the experimentation and discovery during the creative process. very inspiring...
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

So now we've got Beautiful Happiness & Rocket Shaped Song perhaps we should do a compilation of some of Jason's more "phased" moments?

How about:

I Want You (instrumental long version)
Effervescent (chimes)
Luminescence (I want you)
Symphony Space
Electric Mainline
Pure Phase
Rocket Shaped Song
Beautiful Happiness

What do you think? Sounds good in my head!
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Tied Up and Camera (LFO and Editors remixes, respectively) would definitely have to be on there, as well as the a cappella version of 100 Bars.
Bobbie
New user

Post by Bobbie »

Anyone having problems playing the black discs from the new set? None of the three CDs will load and play (there's 4 machines here, all stand alone DVD players) - all I get is a 'no disc' message, yet will load on the computer for itunes. Friggin' pain in the ass.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Let's not forget both alternate versions of Electric Mainline from the Complete Works, and maybe "Pure Phase" for those of us with lots of patience! (Not me.)
toomilk wrote:Tied Up and Camera (LFO and Editors remixes, respectively) would definitely have to be on there, as well as the a cappella version of 100 Bars.
the shadow
Known user

Post by the shadow »

This product is much better than I thought it would be. The extra CD's flow nicely especially SP50. Fantastic versions of LAGWAFIS, agree with the poster who said it reminded him of xmas ..oh happy days. Not going to take the main album from the blister pack this time.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but is the actual album (in the foil packaging) re-mastered or is it exactly the same as the one we all know and love?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

it is not remastered. kudos to jason for not fixing something that wasn't broken.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Horrorflick wrote:This is going to sound like a really dumb question, but is the actual album (in the foil packaging) re-mastered or is it exactly the same as the one we all know and love?
it just has the original "elvis mix" restored to the album opener.
mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

finally, i received the 3cds from amzon.uk, right now.
i'm so interested in these materials that before makeup.
well, i start listen.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dear Friends,

I won't buy the Special Edition because the product is too expensive and there's no money this period...I'm very sad, but this is life! I'll wait hoping the prices will get low. I don't want to download the songs by amazon because I hate mp3, waw...the only format that I know is the lp or cd.

I'd like to know what is written inside the cover about the songs of the 2 bonus discs. There is a description for each song?

Federico
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

The demo of Cool Waves is amazing but at a minute long is about 6 min. to short imo, this is a Spiritualized song I never much cared for but in style done hear is ... breathtaking ,a little glimpse of a future that never came to pass,I can see that the style wouldn`t have fitted on LAGWAFIS but still great stuff.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

This is a great package. I love the 'alternate' 'lagwafis'. The extra discs are a real treat too. Loving the 'Home of the brave' demo too.
Hey Jayne
ekewebb
Known user

Post by ekewebb »

I wasn't going to buy it - who needs a legacy edition puffed out with a load of old demos I thought. Then it turned up on Napster, I gave it a go and I loved it. So much care has obviously gone into it and it sounds marvellous. Bought the triple CD version now. That clipping of the last "love" at the end of the gospel choir version of I Think I'm In Love annoys me every time though,

Anyway - quick question. From my reading of the liner notes I would infer that Rocket Shaped Song is a version of All Of My Thoughts - it doesn't sound a lot like it though. Error in the formatting of the notes?
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I just started listening to discs 2-3, it's awesome! I like the demo versions better than some of the originals, Beautiful Happiness and Rocket Shaped Song sound like cool Pure Phase outtakes. Love it! Don't understand the point of the first CD though!
HAPPY HOLIDAYS.

DS
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

My copy should be shipping soon. Can't wait to hear it!

Whenever I see the word "demo" on anyone's post, I automatically look away. I won't have this spoiled!

PS: Welcome back Dave.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Thanks, anyone have anything more than 1 minute of I Think I'm In Love: Original Demo Idea? I want it to go on and on and on...
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got my 3-disc in the mail today from Action Records. What a piece of work....can't wait to listen to the demos.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Action Records rock! So do Piccadilly in Manchester.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Adam Rodent
Known user

Post by Adam Rodent »

All of the tunes sound amazing-really great to hear the genesis of the songs!
Blindsummit
Known user

Post by Blindsummit »

I absolutely love the two extra CD's, the mixing is fantastic and they add loads to the original disc. I've got the a cappella version of I think I'm in love as my new ringtone.
ascension
Known user

Post by ascension »

quick question about the 3-disc edition. Do the the 2 cds with the bonus material come in a blister pack or are they separated do you dont have to pop the blister pack to listen to the extra material?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

ascension wrote:quick question about the 3-disc edition. Do the the 2 cds with the bonus material come in a blister pack or are they separated do you dont have to pop the blister pack to listen to the extra material?
They come in a gatefold sleeve outside of the blister pack.