What is the worst spiritualized song?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nasty
Known user

What is the worst spiritualized song?

Post by nasty »

Being a tuesday and all and having read the CW2 thread, thought this would be a nice opportunity for one to rant without being shot down for it.....

Personally, "let it flow" works my ticket.
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

Well Electric Phase usually gets my goat, but there is far too much dross on the last two albums to pick a top bottom song.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

broken heart can make me feel a bit trumpy too....
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

Broken Heart. - a shit feel so sad.

Cool Waves. - blur did it better with 'Tender'

Cop Shoot Cop never really did it for me. Most of it is great, and then that five minutes of electric phase type noise ruins the flow. I'm all for white noise if you've got a tiny hint of a tune to hang on to, but there's nothing to get hold of in that song, and it just gets tiresome.

<expects to get lynched by a rampaging mob of Ladies and Gents Fans>
slim
Known user

Post by slim »

clewsr wrote:Cop Shoot Cop never really did it for me. Most of it is great, and then that five minutes of electric phase type noise ruins the flow. I'm all for white noise if you've got a tiny hint of a tune to hang on to, but there's nothing to get hold of in that song, and it just gets tiresome.

<expects to get lynched by a rampaging mob of Ladies and Gents Fans>
I know what you mean, especially if you listen to Ladies and ... from the start, because of the other "noise" pieces which come before it but I think it stands up really well if you listen to it on it's own. Try it and see.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SYSTEM alsjdflas@!%*g;ald*%h FUCKING ahlsals; OVERLOAD $xnv!bxckbck!@*;bn COP SHOOT COP aklsdhf#vbh$@ WORST SONG asdflhksd$%FH#@ CAN"T dl;eod&$*fk# BELIEVE $HDOENL
FHFRE$#@NJ% MY EYESaiowc#&@dfhokas!de

xxxshonnxxx

I have calmed back down now, remember Philiosphy class, "everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion..........................................................................................
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

The electric phase bit in cop shoot cop pisses me off. I understand it as it works amazing live. It wastes the song on record for me. 10 mins of voodoo blues wouda done me fine. The same goes for Electric Phase on PP. Its a live thing that should be felt blasting into your face standing at the gigs. Doesnt translate for me.
lambneck
New user

Re: What is the worst spiritualized song?

Post by lambneck »

"come on baby stop your crying" is by far the worst song :twisted:
wtf!
dredgie
Known user

Post by dredgie »

i have to agree, stop your crying is pish.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

In no particular order:

Space (medication ep, noodle noodle noodle)
200 Bars Accapella ( unnecessary and, frankly, a bit embarrassing)
X-Files Theme (oh why oh why)
Electric Phase (it just physically hurts me)
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

a beautiful noise wrote:aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh SYSTEM alsjdflas@!%*g;ald*%h FUCKING ahlsals; OVERLOAD $xnv!bxckbck!@*;bn COP SHOOT COP aklsdhf#vbh$@ WORST SONG asdflhksd$%FH#@ CAN"T dl;eod&$*fk# BELIEVE $HDOENL
FHFRE$#@NJ% MY EYESaiowc#&@dfhokas!de

xxxshonnxxx

I have calmed back down now, remember Philiosphy class, "everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion, everybody has the right to their opinion..........................................................................................

Like it.

Personally my votes go to: 100 bars (acappella) - pointless
Do it All Over Again (LP version)
On Fire (LP version) - The only times Jason's music could be called 'ordinary'. They get skipped every time, the only songs in the whole Spiritualized canon I can say I actually dislike. Although the live versions redeemed them somewhat.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

100 bars (acapella) sort of goes without saying really.
x-files theme - as fucking dull as the program itself.
Rocket USA - Musically it's perfectly fine but I'd really like to tell alan vega to shut the fuck up.
Think I'm in love (chemical brothers mix) is like a piss poor version of every remix the chemical brothers ever did.
Good times - Particularly the version on Pure phase
Silent Corner/Empty Stage
Known user

Post by Silent Corner/Empty Stage »

Well, yes everyone is entitled to their opinions. Personally my favorite Spiritualized song is Let It Flow, and for that to be the first one singled out as worst song almost caused me to rant. I agree with 200 Bars Accapella being a pointless waste of time. No doubt most of the CW2 instrumental versions will be equally as pointless. But, without a doubt I'd have to vote for Electricity as the worst Spiritualized song ever! For some reason Spaceman keeps putting new words to this piece of crap and rereleasing it over and over again (Come Together, On Fire, etc...)

Just one man's opinion - Mark
helm
Known user

Post by helm »

as soon as i saw this thread the first song i thought of was electric phase.
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Ten of the Worst and Ten of the Best

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Ten worst first (have to restrict this to LP, EP and Singles - otherwise Rocket USA, 100 Bars, Spread Your Wings (Pure Phase), Cop Shoot Cop (Breezeblock Session) and others would be high on the list:

1. Space (Medication EP)
2. No God Only Religion (LAGWAFIS)
3. The Power and the Glory (AG)
4. Electric Phase (PP) [it has the advantage of being shorter]
5. Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth) (DIAOA EP)
6. Cheapster (AG)
7. Anything More (LICD)
8. Spread Your Wings (PP)
9. On Fire (LICD)
10. Medication (PP)

These are the ten I've been enjoying the most recently (there are thirty+ more I could add...)

1. Lord, Can You Hear Me?
2. The Slide Song
3. Drive/Feel So Sad
4. Rated X
5. Home of the Brave/The Individual
6. Don't Just Do Something...
7. 200 Bars
8. Come Together
9. Smiles
10. If I Were With Her Now
nicolai
Known user

Post by nicolai »

personally i love it when electric phase boosts in on the PP LP. that's called excellent sequencing folks! but i simply can't understand why people mention cop shoot sop, good times, no god... and let it flow. those are all class spiritualized songs.

what is more dissapointing, as some people have mentioned, are some songs on LICD and AG. the songwriting on those records are not bad, they are NOT his worst output, but they don't give us something we haven't heard before. to many remakes. as well, we all know that jason&co always play many songs from LGM/PP on their live-set. and they DON'T play ONE SINGLE SONG from LICD.

well maybe "do it all over again" is a song i can't listen too much on, it just don't feel important, actually it reminds of a silly norwegian children's song that is called "bæ bæ, lille lam" (="baa baa, little lamb"). i believe it's that song, if not i will correct myself when i get home and can check with the cd.
Last edited by nicolai on Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CinnamonBoy
Known user

Post by CinnamonBoy »

:D Never thought about that before Nicolai, but you definitely have a point about "bæ bæ lille lam" and "Do it all over again"!

There are very few Spzd songs I can say I dislike, but if I were to choose one I really find pointless, it'll have to be 'On Fire'. That one gets skipped every time. It's not just a bad song, it's also completely out of place on the album. It might have worked better on AG...perhaps?
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

On Fire is a terrible opener to Let It Come Down - it had me really worried for about 3mins when I first stuck the album on.
After that, the only stuff which has left me shaking my head in utter disappointment has been on Amazing Grace.
She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit) ... Never Goin' Back ... The Power & The Glory ...
twentysixdollars
Known user

Post by twentysixdollars »

And Ian wonders why we never get along! Several songs he put on his worst list are among my favorites (NGOR, Anything More, Spread Your Wings) although his selection of several Amazing Grace numbers wrenched up a smile because indeed about half that record is interminable (including Rated X, which is really nothing more than filler, albeit clever filler, and In a Silent Way-referencing filler. It doesn't change the fact that the Zawinul/Davis record in question is an insufferable bore) but several of my other favorites, including the beloved Slide Song, do turn up on his best list also. Although a decade has dimmed the value of all versions of 200 Bars to me. The counting section is dreary regardless of whether there's music behind (album version) or not (other versions).

On Fire works but not in context. Well regardless, here are the ten worst tunes (from albums only: stuff like "Space" or "Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)" or "X Files Theme" is too obvious, I'd wager). Much is from Pure Phase despite that being my favorite of Jason's records with either group. Included are some witticisms.

1. Cheapster ("Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes")
2. Pure Phase ("oom. oooom. oom")
3. Electric Mainline (especially live, but especially in the studio. But especially live.)
4. This Little Life of Mine ("...I'm gonna loudly whine")
5. Sway ("...slow." Verrry slow. Thanks Reefster!)
6. I Didn't Mean To Hurt You (then lose the paltry Denny Wilson impression).
7. Take Your Time (LP version. Took a bit too much time, I'd say. What was it that made me love Lazer Guided Melodies in 1993, I'm inclined to ask?)
8. Stop Your Crying ("Come on baby, stop your crying [x56]". And that's in the radio edit. No wonder they smash their instruments. Live versions are better.)
9. Lord, Let It Rain On Me (Working title was: "Lord, Can You Hear All of My Tears as I Let them Flow in Cool Waves." Deemed too lengthy for "lean" new Amazing Grace.)
10. Lay It Down Slow ("If you've got love in your tummy, yummy yummy yummy," followed at the end by an excerpt from Lazy Waters, one of the Byrds' worst songs)

None of the half-dozen "Electricity"s have been included because I've found most of them enjoyable. Underrated favorites of the moment: These Blues (PP version), Cool Waves.[/i]
albrown
New user

Post by albrown »

No god only religeon
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Of the best and worst

Post by Ian Goodchild »

At the risk of turning every thread - especially this one, which isn't a flame war - would anyone mind if I got a pop on $26 for being the only poster here to forget what the thread is about?

And Ian wonders why we never get along!

>Snort! I don't wonder why we never get on it, I know. It's because we hate each other! :)

Several songs he put on his worst list are among my favorites (NGOR, Anything More, Spread Your Wings) although his selection of several Amazing Grace numbers wrenched up a smile because indeed about half that record is interminable (including Rated X, which is really nothing more than filler, albeit clever filler, and In a Silent Way-referencing filler. It doesn't change the fact that the Zawinul/Davis record in question is an insufferable bore)

>In YOUR opinion. But I think to describe 'Rated X' as filler is plain wrong, and to value 'Spread Your Wings' ('Oh babe, you know I'll take blah blah blah oh babe we can do anything everything oh babe' over the top of a Pure Phase tone and a few violins - THAT is filler). 'Anything More' is 'Everyone Yawns' - Oh, hey! Isn't using puns to alter the title of Spiritualized songs hilarious!!?

but several of my other favorites, including the beloved Slide Song, do turn up on his best list also. Although a decade has dimmed the value of all versions of 200 Bars to me. The counting section is dreary regardless of whether there's music behind (album version) or not (other versions).

>Sigh. Did you hear it played live in 1992, 1993 or 1998? It's so good it makes you go back to the LP and play it again.

On Fire works but not in context.

>Hello? Does anyone on this board like this song at all, in any context?

Well regardless, here are the ten worst tunes (from albums only: stuff like "Space" or "Amazing Grace (Peace on Earth)" or "X Files Theme" is too obvious, I'd wager). Much is from Pure Phase despite that being my favorite of Jason's records with either group. Included are some witticisms.

>....not saying anything....

1. Cheapster ("Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes")

>Yup, that sucks. No debate.

2. Pure Phase ("oom. oooom. oom")

>Ditto, but works live.

3. Electric Mainline (especially live, but especially in the studio. But especially live.)

>Recently, live it's been cut down to seven minutes or less, and the EP version is quite nice. I think it did work with the standard three-song intro to all Spiritualized gigs 1995 - 2002 (varied/Shine a Light/Electric Mainline)

4. This Little Life of Mine ("...I'm gonna loudly whine")

>This is one of his LEAST whiny songs! 'I ain't gonna take good care of it, baby, it's mine.' No pleas, no I'm sad just 'Who gives a fuck?' I like the sentiment. Good riff (even if it's a Loop riff).

5. Sway ("...slow." Verrry slow. Thanks Reefster!)

>You don't like Sway? Why? It's about 10,000 times faster than Anything More and 100,000 times better.

6. I Didn't Mean To Hurt You (then lose the paltry Denny Wilson impression).

>Oh, that sucks, yeah, but some Dennis Wilson stuff is SUPERB!

7. Take Your Time (LP version. Took a bit too much time, I'd say. What was it that made me love Lazer Guided Melodies in 1993, I'm inclined to ask?)

>Er...LGM was 1992. 'Take your Time' does lose it's greatness over time.

8. Stop Your Crying ("Come on baby, stop your crying [x56]". And that's in the radio edit. No wonder they smash their instruments. Live versions are better.)

> 'Nothin' Hurts' was better, yeah.

9. Lord, Let It Rain On Me (Working title was: "Lord, Can You Hear All of My Tears as I Let them Flow in Cool Waves." Deemed too lengthy for "lean" new Amazing Grace.)

>If that song was on any other LP, you'd like it, wouldn't you? I love this because it epitomises Spiritualized with no pretension, no lyrical wordplay and a sentiment which has been expressed by Pierce on every LP track since 'Lord Can You Hear Me?' on Playing With Fire.

10. Lay It Down Slow ("If you've got love in your tummy, yummy yummy yummy," followed at the end by an excerpt from Lazy Waters, one of the Byrds' worst songs)

And you like 'Spread Your Wings'? Compare the two.

None of the half-dozen "Electricity"s have been included because I've found most of them enjoyable. Underrated favorites of the moment: These Blues (PP version),
Cool Waves.[/i]

Right, $26 can we agree not to have anymore disputes for...I don't know, a week? :shock: Please? It must be pissing everyone else off. And we've been doing our little comedy routine since 1970, which is when I apparently registered for this board.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Right, $26 can we agree not to have anymore disputes for...I don't know, a week? Please? It must be pissing everyone else off.
No, no, please continue (it saves us the bother). I find 'Rants, Ian' much more amusing than 'Love, Ian' :wink:
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Anything More has always been dull for me. The single version of Medication gets on my nerves, and the Pure Phase version of Take Good Care Of It is a total waste.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

The single version is the best version of medication.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Re: Of the best and worst

First in regards to Bza I'll be brief in stating that sadly I'm not much of a fan of Davis's tape experiment records, or his fusion ones, and sadly In a Silent Way is arguably both. Of course I've always thought that Davis's real talent was for spotting and fostering new talent, so I guess debate is moot. In general I didn't think Zawinul was one of his more impressive discoveries, but I am indebted to him for bringing Trane, Hancock, Adderley, and the like to prominence.
Ian Goodchild wrote:At the risk of turning every thread - especially this one, which isn't a flame war - would anyone mind if I got a pop on $26 for being the only poster here to forget what the thread is about?
I'm not sure what you mean by that Ian, but I'm game for discussion. One of the things I do like about your posting tendencies - and what I appreciated about your Amazing Grace appraisal - is that you're thorough, even when you're being pompous or inaccurate. That very thoroughness invariably makes for interesting reading. But first a caveat:
>Snort! I don't wonder why we never get on it, I know. It's because we hate each other! :)
Don't try to put words in my mouth or thoughts in my mind mate. I can hardly imagine being one of those silly fools that forms opinions about people I've never met on the basis of their opinion of some pop group. I even chuckled at the "Everyone Yawns" pun, although I must respectfully submit that my last few yukyuks are more clever. If we met and had a chat about Donne, or Browning, or stereo equipment, or politics, then we'd have something going. Never believe for a second that I 'hate' you or anyone on this board. That would be absurd. I know nothing whatsoever about you!

To the hunt!
>Hello? Does anyone on this board like this song [On Fire] at all, in any context?
Well, there is our dear friend whose username is, in fact, On Fire. But hereafter things get odd, because for the most part your comments are highly civil and you largely agree with me. You know, Runcible and I disagree about everything, and yet we're still close; in fact as I type this I'm also working on a private email to him. But I've never failed to find your protesting footstamping entertaining and occasionally informative.
>Recently, live it's been cut down to seven minutes or less, and the EP version is quite nice. I think it did work with the standard three-song intro to all Spiritualized gigs 1995 - 2002 (varied/Shine a Light/Electric Mainline)
Fair enough, but I almost always found it tiresome in a Rush-like windmilling, math-rock, pinging-guitars sort of way, and a significant let-down after 'Shine a Light' which desperately needs to be returned to Jason's sets.
>This is one of his LEAST whiny songs! 'I ain't gonna take good care of it, baby, it's mine.' No pleas, no I'm sad just 'Who gives a fuck?' I like the sentiment. Good riff (even if it's a Loop riff).
It's also tiresome and sounds like generic radio rap-metal, which also strangely tends to consist of sludgy Sabbathy guitars and growling, half-spoken lyrics, and 'bababas'. If anything it sounds like the Deftones, which, by the way, was one of the records that covinced me it was time to give up music criticism.
>You don't like Sway? Why? It's about 10,000 times faster than Anything More and 100,000 times better.
Anything More works because it's pretty, it's emotionally engaging, and it's smile-inducing as a transparent tribute to a certain style of waltzing orchestral country (see "the Straight and the Narrow", although "Anything More" is more successful). "Sway", on the other hand, is one chord, an endlessly repeated guitar riff with yet ANOTHER mumbled semi-Reed rap and a mostly two-note bass riff. And none of it gels into anything interesting or emotionally involving. "Spread Your Wings" has much the same appeal as "Anything More" except the genre being saluted is I-vi-IV-V doo-wop.
>Oh, that [I Didn't Mean to Hurt You] sucks, yeah, but some Dennis Wilson stuff is SUPERB!
Agreed completely. His songs on Holland are brilliant (one of my favorite ever LPs), and Pacific Ocean Blue is essential, essential, essential. But IDMTOHY is a rather pallid ripoff of the same sound (compare to "Make It Good" on So Tough - admittedly, not much of a song either).

>Er...LGM was 1992. 'Take your Time' does lose it's greatness over time.
No problems here. I understand this as an attempt to parody my endless fact-throwing, but the fact of the matter is that it took a good year for me to truly love the record. That's all. That it was released in 1992 didn't prevent me from loving it in 1993 when I was at the apex of my hopeless Spiritualized fanboyishness.
>If that song [Lord Let It Rain On Me] was on any other LP, you'd like it, wouldn't you?
No. It's got no personality and feels completely perfunctory. Yes, part of my hostility to it is admittedly because it consists of repeated ideas, and Spiritualized first-timers might like it, but it's just an amalgam of Knockin' On Heaven's Door with Let It Flow and those same first timers would probably much prefer Jason's other shots at the same sound. LLIROM is too slow, too samey, and his self-consciously 'heartbroken' vocal is affected and overdramatic, as it is on much of the record, such as "Lay It Down Slow", and "the Ballad of Richie Lee", an otherwise excellent tune that survives on the basis of its arrangement.

I should say that I forgot a few glaring ones that have been brought up in the last few posts. Some belong in the upper reaches of my chart.

1. Out of Sight (an overblown Pink Floyd cover that, within a few moments, is, true to form, most decidedly out of mind)
2. Take Good Care of It (See "Pure Phase")

More to come.
Ian Goodchild wrote:You're right, $26. You present well-reasoned, interesting arguments that I don't necessarily agree with, but respect for their being well-reasoned and interesting. You really are a smart cookie, you well-reasoned, interesting person!
PS. I promise I won't do that again.
Twentysixdollars wrote:Longest post ever!
clewsr
Known user

Re: Of the best and worst

Post by clewsr »

twentysixdollars wrote:even when you're being pompous
ahem...pot kettle black Mr 26? But everyone's being nice today, so consider that a joke.

What amazes me is the sheer number of songs that people don't like. Some of my personal favorates in that list. So like alot of other people I guess I'm biting my tongue in order to resist the tempatation to reply in a 'I can't belive you don't like that' manner.

I'm in two minds about Electric Mainline. It was never a favorate of mine on record, but repeated listenings to it live has probably made me fonder of it. The recent accoustic type versions have been quite fun, and I did enjoy the shorter version of it on the last tour, but I did find your description of it quite apt.

However, just to add a note of controversy - I was never a fan of shine a light live. Great on record [I can't bring myself to crisitice any single thing on LGM], but I wont be adding my name to the petition to bring it back to the set list, - now 200 bars? that would be another story...
Ian Goodchild
Known user

Post by Ian Goodchild »

Well, okay, we do good comedy - $26, but I'll have to reply in a limited way as I'm leaving work in about three minutes.

I'm not sure what you mean by that Ian, but I'm game for discussion. One of the things I do like about your posting tendencies - and what I appreciated about your Amazing Grace appraisal - is that you're thorough, even when you're being pompous or inaccurate. That very thoroughness invariably makes for interesting reading. But first a caveat:

>Thank you, but I'm never pompous and rarely inaccurate, as you know. I have an eidetic memory and an intelligence and wisdom that puts Yoda to shame.

Quote:
>Snort! I don't wonder why we never get on it, I know. It's because we hate each other!

Don't try to put words in my mouth or thoughts in my mind mate. I can hardly imagine being one of those silly fools that forms opinions about people I've never met on the basis of their opinion of some pop group. I even chuckled at the "Everyone Yawns" pun, although I must respectfully submit that my last few yukyuks are more clever. If we met and had a chat about Donne, or Browning, or stereo equipment, or politics, then we'd have something going. Never believe for a second that I 'hate' you or anyone on this board. That would be absurd. I know nothing whatsoever about you!

>Christ...everyone would love us getting into a discussion of the Metaphysical poets (yes, yes, I'm very familiar with Donne) and politics?!??!

To the hunt!

Quote:
>Hello? Does anyone on this board like this song [On Fire] at all, in any context?

Well, there is our dear friend whose username is, in fact, On Fire.

>Maybe he's called 'On Fire' because he was hot when he was writing his post. A more apt name maybe...'Disappoinitng Opening Song'? But really, everyone else seems to hate that damn song.

But hereafter things get odd, because for the most part your comments are highly civil and you largely agree with me. You know, Runcible and I disagree about everything, and yet we're still close; in fact as I type this I'm also working on a private email to him. But I've never failed to find your protesting footstamping entertaining and occasionally informative.

>[Stamps feet to prove $26 right] And I'm informative ALL the fucking time! Jeez, you KNOW that.

Anything More works because it's pretty, it's emotionally engaging, and it's smile-inducing as a transparent tribute to a certain style of waltzing orchestral country (see "the Straight and the Narrow", although "Anything More" is more successful). "Sway", on the other hand, is one chord, an endlessly repeated guitar riff with yet ANOTHER mumbled semi-Reed rap and a mostly two-note bass riff. And none of it gels into anything interesting or emotionally involving. "Spread Your Wings" has much the same appeal as "Anything More" except the genre being saluted is I-vi-IV-V doo-wop.

>Said it before: 'Straight and Narrow' is a weak and overly long cover of the fantastic Dion song 'Your own Backyard'.

Ian Goodchild wrote:
You're right, $26. You present well-reasoned, interesting arguments that I don't necessarily agree with, but respect for their being well-reasoned and interesting. You really are a smart cookie, you well-reasoned, interesting person!

PS. I promise I won't do that again.

>You git! Half of that was written in a haze of methadone and nitrazepam. TO everyone on this board, he's lying! You've misrepresented me! :wink:
appledelphy
Known user

Post by appledelphy »

I agree with fact that Lord, let it rain sucks baad. The choirs sound like a gimmick some producer threw in at the last minute, and the chorus would´ve been much better if it was just one note.

In the autumn when melancholy sets in and u feel alittle lost, maybe having a medium hungover; I find that "in a silent way", strong coffee and a couple of friends gets me sort of happy again. :roll:
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Fucking right!

I think 'Big Fun' works the same way also, its got a heavier, more melancholic/psychedelic sound than 'silent way'.

The reissue is a dense, sprawling epic, and sounds extraordinary late at night with headphones on....

Have you heard it $26?

I think it might be my favourite Miles album, it's really a compilation of material recorded between 1969 - 72, yet the tracks have a thematic feel, theres loads of sitar and tablas and drones, underplayed, echoing trumpet from Miles and crazy solos from McLaughlin.

Everyone who played with Miles in that era is probably on here, very essential listening .
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

wow.
where do you guys work, that you can rant all day long on the internet
and are you guys hiring?
I think 'rated x' is one of the best songs on the new album, especially live.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

....and just who the fuck are you? How close is Austin to Crawford? Your self righteous emails are excellent. It must be nice to sit "up there" looking down at us pathetic fans who care enough to post our opinions without worrying some asshole like you is shaking his head in disbelief.
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

I got the impression he was only joking. :shock:
stevie
Known user

Post by stevie »

having now read the cw2 thread maybe I'm wrong.
jess farr
Known user

Post by jess farr »

sorry guys
i was just joking about the job thing, but I was serious about the fans.
this is an interesting message board and I think its cool that people who dig the same music can shout at each other. more bands should have boards like this, its the best one I've ever come across.
Austin is about 100 miles south of Crawford and contrary to what people think most people "up here" don't like George Bush. As govenor he lived down the street a while and really didn't do crap for the state of Texas.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Bza: I've heard Big Fun. It's often described as Miles's "psychedelic" record but I assumed it was just a comp of sides. Again, I never particularly cared for it: McLaughlin doesn't fascinate me as a soloist. I admire his chops and all, but I'd rather be listening to Clarence White or Eric Dolphy. But most of my taste in jazz is for acoustic quartets and quintets.

Now to Ian's bed I go, ignoring all the cuddling that's taken place between our favorite Texan and my favorite Michiginnah.
Ian Goodchild wrote: >(yes, yes, I'm very familiar with Donne)
See, there you go again Ian. You feel this obdurate urge to throw your qualifications on the table at all times. Most people who've been to university are, in fact, familiar with Donne. I just used him as a random example of something that interests me besides music. You, on the other hand, felt it was necessary to declare some sort of academic intimacy with him. This reminds me of the time you wrote me some time ago mostly to let me know that you have a doctorate. I've got one too, but I never thought it necessary to tell anyone, since it had no bearing on what I was writing about. It's in English, not Spiritualized, so who cares? You're always desperately trying to qualify your opinions rather than letting them stand alone. It's a form of insecurity that makes for unintentional hilarity but it doesn't strengthen your argument.
>Maybe he's called 'On Fire' because he was hot when he was writing his post. A more apt name maybe...'Disappoinitng Opening Song'? But really, everyone else seems to hate that damn song.
It's a she. (I wonder where she is?) And I for one like that tune. It's an odd way to get the album started but it strikes an interesting balance between over-the-top pomp like the rest of the record and taut rock. There's more inspiration in On Fire than in most of the Amazing Grace LP. (The Ramonesey doodoodoos, the pouding Wagnerian drums, the slick, jazzy guitars, the Staxy horns...[girlish sigh]).
>Said it before: 'Straight and Narrow' is a weak and overly long cover of the fantastic Dion song 'Your own Backyard'.
Not really. Sounds more like Ray Charles by way of Gram Parsons to me, which is where "Backyard" took its cues from. I think you've overstated the extent to which Dion is influential after his hodad period. It's alright to like him - he's got a nice voice, is really important as a late fifties/early sixties performer and rocker, and 'Purple Haze' aside several of his later records are interesting, but despite the pronouncements of several 'luminaries' such as Jason Pierce I can't help but feel "Born to Be With You" is a bit leaden. Is "Death of a Ladies Man" due for the same revival of interest? Or Gene Clark's "No Other"? All of these are similar Spectorian 70s middleaged bombast-fests although one of them is really pseudo-Spector. Well, back to Dion, as I said, I like his Judy Collins LP (Dion, 1968) best, althought it does have Purple Haze on it, and Lovers Who Wander is his best early LP and it has Lost For Sure on it which I haven't found on compilations.

HOld tight - in the coming days, my opinions of the Verve!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

You're always desperately trying to qualify your opinions rather than letting them stand alone. It's a form of insecurity that makes for unintentional hilarity but it doesn't strengthen your argument.
$26, you're a moderator here, are you aware that this a message board and not some place to write to yourself?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

spzretent wrote:....and just who the fuck are you? How close is Austin to Crawford? Your self righteous emails are excellent. It must be nice to sit "up there" looking down at us pathetic fans who care enough to post our opinions without worrying some asshole like you is shaking his head in disbelief.
This is a new responding to my own quote. Erm......I think I was a wee bit harsh here. Too many whiskies and not enough common sense.
Sorry.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Wow doctorates, University educated, who the fuck cares, I work at an endless job, wasting my time. I write and play music, drink and do to many drugs.

This board is becoming a pissing contest, it's not even amusing anymore. With people bitching about grammar for fucks sake. Lets get back to a HEALTHY discussion.

$26.00 if you and your lover are having a quarrell, thats fine but
have it in a private message, its more kinky that way.

xxxshonnxxx

P.S. $26, thats we me by funny, so please don't be offended, you my friend posses a plethora of useless knowledge. :P
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

a beautiful noise wrote:Wow doctorates, University educated, who the fuck cares, I work at an endless job, wasting my time. I write and play music, drink and do to many drugs.

This board is becoming a pissing contest, it's not even amusing anymore. With people bitching about grammar for fucks sake. Lets get back to a HEALTHY discussion.

$26.00 if you and your lover are having a quarrell, thats fine but
have it in a private message, its more kinky that way.

xxxshonnxxx

P.S. $26, thats we me by funny, so please don't be offended, you my friend posses a plethora of useless knowledge. :P
Yeah. What Shonn said. Keep this stuff private. It's boring. :D
carpet
New user

Post by carpet »

Will you FUCKERS stop dissing Let It Come down. On Fire, in my opinion, is a good album opener and the more i listen to it, the more i like it. In my view it is the best Spiritualized album so shut the fuck up.

On the topic of albums that get slated, The ONLY way to appreciate Amazing Grace is to whack it up loud. Then all you haterz mite like it.

Toodles
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

LOL. Clearly, if you think its great then everyone will stop discussing it and agree with you. Well thought out post.
twentysixdollars
Known user

carpet wrote:Will you FUCKERS stop dissing Let It Come down. On Fire, in my opinion, is a good album opener and the more i listen to it, the more i like it. In my view it is the best Spiritualized album so shut the fuck up.

On the topic of albums that get slated, The ONLY way to appreciate Amazing Grace is to whack it up loud. Then all you haterz mite like it.

Toodles
Fucking fuck fuck! Fuck, fuck fuck Fuckers! Fucking fuck it. Fuck. Fuck yo, yo fuck. Yo.
nasty
Known user

Post by nasty »

Will you FUCKERS stop dissing Let It Come down. On Fire, in my opinion, is a good album opener and the more i listen to it, the more i like it. In my view it is the best Spiritualized album so shut the fuck up.

Toodles
Toodles, sorry to pipe up but dont you think that expecting everyone to shut the fuck up because they don't agree with you is a little unreasonable?
a beautiful noise
Known user

CARPET,I even feel compeled to post about what an IDIOT you are. Now this is not being offensive or rude (I am minding your sticky message), but what the fuck, are you like 12, that was one of the most juvenile posts in recent memory. Uhhh, right as we were making some progress.

xxxshonnxxx

and if you smart back off to me Carpet, I will sick $26 on you!! :lol:
carpet
New user

How dare you!

Post by carpet »

Right listen up! I need all you stupid peoples opinions! I understand that you are allowed to have your opinions but there is no need to run on all the time: You diss Amazing Grace, Let it Come Down, CW2. Ive had enuff. If you dont want to hear them stop going on this site and stop buying the records. LGM and Ladies and Gents are in the past. GET OVER IT!

And im sorry 2 hit u bk but u aint getting the dough!!!

Toodles
a beautiful noise
Known user

WoW Carpet, your head must fit firmly between your asscheeks, because I am usually the person defending LICD, I think Amazing Grace is well er AMAZING, and if you read the posts you would have noticed that I will be first in line for CW2. Now that we have that all cleared up, what I find immature is that you must understand young grasshopper, not all peoples will see/feel/think/believe the same way as you do. Thats what makes the world the wonderful place that it is. You my friend, need to roll a spliff, and chill-da-fuck-out. Sorted!

xxxshonnxxx
espiritualidad
Known user

Post by espiritualidad »

the w:lay back in the sun
slide song ... pure shit
twentysixdollars
Known user

Feh on that as first posts go. Those might be the two best songs Jason's ever written, especially the versions on Pure Phase.
pedryone
New user

Post by pedryone »

sorry!
i was wrong.....
sorry,sorry..... :oops:
yesterday...it was a bad day....bad day in my life
honestidadbrutal
espiritualidad
Known user

Post by espiritualidad »

i´m regret of what i wrote yesterday...spiritualized is very important in my life,the sedative of my feelings and the songs i wrote are incorrect.
the jason´s work is enormous...maybe nobody make feel those sensations..
twentysixdollars
Known user

You're entitled to your opinion of course. I'd be really happy though if you settled on a username. I'm sorry you had a bad day though.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

This thread is garbage.
There....I said it..........

Why do the worst threads get the most responses......???
I know the answer but can't say it.
spiritualized
New user

Post by spiritualized »

you're all wankers, how can u say the noise tracks are crap, listening to the whole album tripping they work fucking great.

and another thing , never knock lgm or pure phase, they are spiritualized , after that it all did go a bit dodgy but hey, whos perfect.

worst song = do it all over again , maybe
spzretent
Site Admin

Re: How dare you!

Post by spzretent »

carpet wrote:Right listen up! I need all you stupid peoples opinions! I understand that you are allowed to have your opinions but there is no need to run on all the time: You diss Amazing Grace, Let it Come Down, CW2. Ive had enuff. If you dont want to hear them stop going on this site and stop buying the records. LGM and Ladies and Gents are in the past. GET OVER IT!

And im sorry 2 hit u bk but u aint getting the dough!!!

Toodles
Alright! An Ali G impersonator.
twentysixdollars
Known user

Re: How dare you!

spzretent wrote: Alright! An Ali G impersonator.
A'ight, fo'real. Let's take it to da fing!
a beautiful noise
Known user

ugh! one good reason to live in america, no ali g.

xxxshonnxxx
bcastle21
Known user

Post by bcastle21 »

actually ali g is on hbo here in america :(
a beautiful noise
Known user

Thank God I don't have cable. I remember seeing him for the first time a few years ago when I was living in England, it was for some tacky New Years Day Show, he was wearing this banana yellow jumpsuit, with what looked like a pair of yellow underwear on his head. I mean he is a complete ass. Ahhh the memories.

xxxshonnxxx