Finished copy of 1997 LAGWAFIS Elvis version?

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

LC08477
New user

Finished copy of 1997 LAGWAFIS Elvis version?

Post by LC08477 »

Hello,

New here but long-time fan of Spiritualized/S3....

Have a question which I've been wondering about for a while and thought people here might know.

I bought a copy on CD of LAGWAFIS from Music and Video Exchange in Notting Hill Gate, London in the summer of 1997. It's the jewel case version (DEDCD 034) and is NOT the promo (DEDCD 034P) BUT it has the 'Elvis' version of the title track. It was advertised as such and I paid about £50 for it (well, that's MVE for you). I've always assumed that someone from Dedicated sold it in to them (as their office was just a stone's throw from the shop).

I was under the impression that the 'Elvis' version only existed on promo copies and I can't seem to find any information, on this forum or elsewhere, about the existence of finished copies with that version.

Any information from anyone here would be gratefully received!

Thanks
John
marcvolta
Known user

Re: Finished copy of 1997 LAGWAFIS Elvis version?

Post by marcvolta »

is it in the pill packaging, cuz i seem to remember reading that a few copies withe the elvis version were made for music prize committee or something..........not much help i know but seems intriguing
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

According to an old Spiritualized discography I have (which I think was done by Chris Barrus):

"A few copies of the 12x3" (with the origianl Elivs version) leaked out, along with 50 copies of the deluxe 5" CD which were sent to label managers and the Mercury Music Prize people".

This set is also said to have no catalogue number according to the Record Collector listing for Spiritualized, but I think they're referring to the packaging rather than the CD itself?

Maybe your copy is from that batch but simply doesn't have its original pill packaging? Or maybe it was an extra that was lurking around their offices and a staffer spotted it and flogged it on to MVE??

Either way, without all the "deluxe" pill packaging it probably can't claim to be one of the "Holy Grail" Mercury Prize promos which, as far as I know, nobody on here has ever seen a copy of....
LC08477
New user

Post by LC08477 »

Thanks for the replies.
marcvolta wrote:is it in the pill packaging
No, it's in a standard jewel case (not the single 'pill' box)
Greeny wrote:50 copies of the deluxe 5" CD which were sent to label managers and the Mercury Music Prize people".
I reckon it could be one of these (but in a jewel case). You often get promo/rare stuff from record companies sold directly into MVE (and this was before eBay) so, as you say, maybe it came direct from the Dedicated offices down the road.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

does the disc look identical to the standard issue cd?? .... and are you interested in selling it?? :?:
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
LC08477
New user

Post by LC08477 »

laid back in the sun wrote:does the disc look identical to the standard issue cd??
Yes. Here's some pictures: (with the original shop stickers still attached!)

http://img101.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... =s001q.jpg

As for selling it, I was going to, then I changed my mind. However, the new 'Collector's Edition' (at £125!!) looks very nice! I might put it on eBay...
laid back in the sun
Known user

LC08477 wrote:
laid back in the sun wrote:does the disc look identical to the standard issue cd??
Yes. Here's some pictures: (with the original shop stickers still attached!)

http://img101.imageshack.us/slideshow/w ... =s001q.jpg

As for selling it, I was going to, then I changed my mind. However, the new 'Collector's Edition' (at £125!!) looks very nice! I might put it on eBay...
well if you put it on ebay i doubt you'd loose money on it... i'd pay £50 for it any day! :P
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Wow - I can honestly say have never seen one of these before. Thank God I have stopped obsessively collecting this band! I'd say that's worth quite a bit - nice one!
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Very exciting - I'd say it has a good chance of being one of the long sought after Mercury copies. Details are so sketchy on that issue that to be honest I don't think we really know for sure whether they went out in full pill packaging or not.

May sound a bit of a bizarre one but could you find out what the running times are for Home of the Brave (track 7), The Individual (8) and Cop Shoot Cop (12)?

Also, with your permission, could I put your photos of it up on here: http://www.spiritualized-discography.com?

Post by toomilk »

Incredible. 50 quid is definitely a good price on that. Who knows how many jewel case copies could have been made. Since you are the first one reporting it, I'd say it's a very small number.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I guess unless we can find somebody from Dedicated who worked on that project at the time and has a good memory we may never know the full story of the "Mercury 50".

Either way, this is a rarity to be sure - if you do decide to flog it on eBay it'll be worth giving this board a heads-up if you want to secure the best price!!!
LC08477
New user

Post by LC08477 »

Sim wrote:May sound a bit of a bizarre one but could you find out what the running times are for Home of the Brave (track 7), The Individual (8) and Cop Shoot Cop (12)?

Also, with your permission, could I put your photos of it up on here: http://www.spiritualized-discography.com?
7. 2:36
8. 4:02
12. 17:01

That's fine to put the photos up as well.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Thanks LC08477!

I think this is the real deal, one of the fabled copies that leaked out before the Elvis estate put the brakes on the release.

My thinking goes as follows based on the track times for LAGWAFIS, Home OTB, The Individual, Cop....:

UK Promo: 3:54, 2:36, 4:02, 16:15
'Mercury' CD: 3:54, 2:36, 4:02, 17:01
'Released' CD: 3:41, 2:23, 4:15, 17:14

1) The total running time for the 12 original tracks on the CD (including the Elvis version of LAGWAFIS) was just shy of 70 minutes. This is the case for the UK promo (which includes the Elvis version and no silence at the end of Cop…

2) 46 seconds of silence was added to the end of Cop… to make up the magical 70 minutes 'as advertised on the box' - giving rise to the track times on the CD as it was intended to be released.

3) Elvis estate objects, Jason rewrites LAGWAFIS resulting in a version 13 seconds shorter. Consequently that 13 seconds is added on as additional silence to Cop Shoot Cop.

4) The track times for Home of the Brave and The Individual differ just because of the position at which the break between tracks was placed (tracks run into each other). Importantly the 'Mercury' CD retains the break timing of the original promo. For some reason this break position was changed at the same time they repressed to include the new version of LAG.

The issue of jewel case or pill packaging will probably remain unresolved unless, as Greeny points suggests, someone from Dedicated remembers the story. Could Spazed help out?

Post by Crashing Bore »

That's really cool. Never seen it before. Nice find!
laid back in the sun
Known user

well not sure if this helps confirm whether this cd came from the mercury batch or not but picked one up on ebay the other day , identical to this but in a clear sleeve... heres the item description

This is a RARE and WITHDRAWN 1997 CD pressing of the Spiritualized album 'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space'.

The opening track on this 1997 CD features the lyrics and melody of Elvis Presley's 'Can't Help Falling In Love' which never came out on the copies that were commercially released in 1997.

As you can see from the photo, this is not an advance copy, nor is it a later re-issue, it was pressed up and printed ready for commerical release in 1997, only to be withdrawn because the Presley Estate objected. Basically someone made a mistake and pressed some of these before permission was given.

I was given it in 1997 by someone who worked for the company involved in the production of the packaging at the time. However, please note that I was given it in a bog standard floppy plastic sleeve, and that is how I am selling it. There is no official packaging with this.

I assume the rest of the tracks are exactly the same as the 1997 commercial release.

The printed text on the top of the disc says:
P & C Dedicated 1997 DEDCD 034 096.0034.20 380 PS 375.7034.2 PC 43

On the silver side of the CD, the text by the round hole says:
DEDCD034. MASTERED BY MAYKING

The tracks and timings on the CD (when I open the CD in itunes) are:
Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space 3:54
Come Together 4:41
I Think I'm In Love 8:10
All Of My Thoughts 4:37
Stay With Me 5:08
Electricity 3:46
Home Of The Brave 2:36
The Individual 4:02
Broken Heart 6:38
No God, Only Religion 4:22
Cool Waves 5:06
Cop Shoot Cop 17:01

came from someone who was involved in the packaging would make me think it was intended as the pill pack version but then again the pressed by mistake part makes me think there could be more than fifty of these knocking about... either way im pretty chuffed to have it now :P
LC08477
New user

Post by LC08477 »

Interested parties might want to look on a certain popular internet auction site.
Elsabel
New user

Post by Elsabel »

Hi,
I realise this is an old thread, but I may be able to add a little info..

Having been sorting my many boxes of old cds ready for ebay and a house move, I came across a copy I was given by a rep when I worked in a record shop.

Like the op's version, it looks like the standard cd, but has the Elvis variation.
It has no outer case at all, and I'm pretty sure this is how it came at the time as I bought the pill box version and asked for a promo so I didn't have to open the packaging.
Attachments
rsz_2014-05-07_203740.jpg
rsz_2014-05-07_203740.jpg (43.74 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
rsz_2014-05-07_203658.jpg
rsz_2014-05-07_203658.jpg (396.87 KiB) Viewed 3081 times
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Elsabel wrote:Hi,
I realise this is an old thread, but I may be able to add a little info..

Having been sorting my many boxes of old cds ready for ebay and a house move, I came across a copy I was given by a rep when I worked in a record shop.

Like the op's version, it looks like the standard cd, but has the Elvis variation.
It has no outer case at all, and I'm pretty sure this is how it came at the time as I bought the pill box version and asked for a promo so I didn't have to open the packaging.
Good info - thanks! Let us know if you intend to flog this - gutted I missed out on the one sold on the 'bay recently, even though I'm supposed to have stopped collecting...
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

In 1997, I went to an import store that is alas, now long gone. I purchased (1) Promo UK 12 x 3" Box Set, (2) PILL BOXED discs and (1) SEALED UK Jewel Case DED034 that turned out to be EXACTLY as what is described above - DED034, but with the Verboten Elvis piece and timing that is like the "1 of 50". I have a PROMO DED034P disc that is clearly marked, and the timing is exactly the same as the DED034 Jewel Case.

I have never opened the PILL BOX sets or the Promo 12 x 3" disc set.

I believe that many more than 50 of these discs may exist; but at the time, (perhaps to announce a small, but reasonable number, of the contested discs was helpful in minimizing the damage done by the lawsuit). In all the chaos of pressing and packaging, it is also possible many more escaped notice, but "50" had been set aside, at least on paper.

It is also completely believable that an exact number of contested were NOT known. It does seem very strange that I should just "happen" to pick the only Jewel Box on the shelf, and it is a contested disc. I did NOT KNOW that in the Jewel Case WAS contained a contested disc until I compared the timing between that disc and a Promo DED034P disc, only to find they were (almost) exactly alike, save for the numbering and packaging.

Over the years, I have purchased Rolling Stones LP's that contained Decca Gospel or Classical Music; I purchased a sealed "Out of Our Heads" in MONO that was, in fact, a MONO copy of their 1st LP; and an obscure Beatles Compilation from the Netherlands on Orange Vinyl that contained TWO of the same disc; a Picture disc from Star Wars that has DISNEY MUSIC! on it instead. I've purchased Commercial Label discs that have the same music on both sides, and others that have the correct music, but the same labels on both sides, OR NO LABELS AT ALL!

Whether by accident or design, I simply have my doubts about the "accuracy" of ONLY "50" of these discs.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The plot thickens... if "Elvis" versions were released among the early standard jewel case CDs there could be countless copies out there sitting on the shelves of casual buyers (it did sell quite well, after all) who never heard the backstory and just assumed that was how the track sounded!!
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

I can't open the first picture. Is the jewel case the same but the cd is not? Or is the cd just like the official version? Really just curious which one I have! Thanks
semisynthetic
Known user

Post by semisynthetic »

SpaceLine wrote:I can't open the first picture. Is the jewel case the same but the cd is not? Or is the cd just like the official version? Really just curious which one I have! Thanks
What I can see in the Photo, (and what I see on my disc), is DED034; that is, without any PROMO nomenclature, numbers or indications, and is, by appearance, a "commercial" disc.
"Everything is a Poison; it is the amount or degree that separates one Poison from another"
Paracelsus
runaway
Known user

Post by runaway »

Not meaning to add to the confusion, but I have a promo copy which doesn't contain the Elvis version (upper left in pic) and shares the same track times as the pill box version (upper right). Lower left is a promo copy that does contain the Elvis version and came in a plain vinyl sleeve. Lower right is just my unopened Japanese version (w/ bonus track Broken Heart Instrumental).