Albums that mystifyingly have no deluxe edition

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

angelsighs
Known user

Albums that mystifyingly have no deluxe edition

Post by angelsighs »

The ladies and gents reissue, and also the recent I Am The Cosmos one (an expanded version of what was basically a bunch of demos anyway..) got me thinking. what classic albums do you think are in dire need of a deluxe edition (this could be a question of a well needed remaster or just lots of stuff you know are in the vaults).. thought of these-

Kick Out The Jams (surely more songs were recorded over the two nights, and it could do with a little remaster to sound even better)

Urban Hymns.. thought it would have been a no brainer when they reformed almost 10 years to the day.. not only is there an albums worth of B sides (ditto with ANS).. there was all those demos done with John Leckie.. pop Haigh Hall on a DVD... job done.

All the Clash ones except London Calling- LC is actually quite low down on my favourite Clash albums.. surely Sandinista must have loads of jams and grooves lying around (although some might say the album was long enough already!), and I know for a fact Combat Rock was originally going to be a double...
niamhm
Known user

Re: Albums that mystifyingly have no deluxe edition

Post by niamhm »

Yeah some might say about Sandinista that the sweepings up of studio floor had already been included,
as for Combat Rock ,the double album version Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg is quite readily available on the net ,and I`m not sure it really adds anything to the original release,unless they let Mick Jones do it , a free hand so to speak,

as for albums that fit into the thread ... how about the aforementioned Verve and A Northern Soul? or the Scream ,Screamadelica?...maybe theirs nothing left some sessions must be like that ,bought the recent Metal Box remaster and recently read an interview with Wobble who basiclly said their was nothing else as they recorded live basic tracks and just built them up.

almost forgot to mention MBV,who announce deluxe editions ,have them reviewed and mystifyingly they fail to materialize almost 18 months later ,those sleeve notes must be something else.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'd have to say Screamadelica as well. They could go to town on the one with a nice booklet chock full of photos and text, remixes, original demo versions. And whilst they're at it how about the original demo's or mixes of the GOBDGU album? Their original idea was for a Velvets 3rd kind of sound but then it all got polished up, over produced, too many clean layers and ended up with a critically panned stinker (though I rather like it myself - the tour from that time was amazing).

Not sure about Sandinista. It's already got too much chuff on it.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

This might be something for a new thread but I've often wondered what thinking goes into whether bonus tracks are included in digitally remastered editions - or not.

Following Chris Barrus' mention of The Pretenders fantastic opening track 'Precious' on their debut album (massively underrated by the way) I bought a remastered pack which had an extra CD with live stuff, demos etc. It's great to get all those extra bits. Having said that look at some major artists - the Stones, Led Zeppelin, Beatles, Bowie for example. They digitally remaster their albums and reissue them - but without any extra tracks at all. I don't have a problem with that but it got me thinking about it. Do these artists simply feel confident enough to release the albums as they initially appeared? There are many Zeppelin and Stones outtakes that are absolutely amazing so it's not like they are short of bonus material.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I think with artists like The Stones, Led Zep, Bowie they know they'll always have a continued buying market for their releases and as such whatever they re-release will be snapped up because people want the full set. If there's more stuff in the vaults then they know, or the record company knows, that they can trickle it out as constant money earners. Look at the recent Beatles remasters for example, and endless compilations of theirs, and the Stones remasters and previous SACD versions. Not one bonus track amongst it all. It is a bit strange but I'm sure one day when they run out of things to release there'll be another huge PR campaign "BEATLES OUT TAKES!!" "UNRELEASED STONES!!" blah blah blah.

But saying that I suppose the Beatles did that already with those anthology things so maybe what I've just said means nothing.

It would've been nice to have had some extra stuff with the remastered Sticky Fingers though. I'm still holding off buying that album yet again.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

yeah the stones piss me off cos there is loads of stuff they could release, radio sessions and studio outtakes blah blah
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

When bonus tracks are included though (and I realise that this is quite a pedantic point to make), I wish they would put them on a second disc, rather than tacked onto the end of the original album. The increase in production costs to do this are practically negligible, and I just want the original album to stand alone on one disc. I wish my copy of Playing With Fire was like that.

On another note, I like the fact that on the recent Nick Cave remasters, the original vinyl tracklisting was restored, because the original CD issues changed the running order and included B-sides (sometimes in the middle of the album). Why this was done is a mystery to me, but I'm glad it's been rectified now. In fact, the next 4 albums in that series (Tender Prey, The Good Son, Henry's Dream and Let Love In) must be due soon, I'm looking forward to their release.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Screamadelica- that's a good one. The Dixie Narco EP has never been reissued, and there must be loads of alt. mixes from around the time (notably, the 'proper', vocal, version of Come Together)

I think you hit the nail on the head with Led Zep/Stones etc. they know that those records will sell whatever so they don't have to try so hard with extras. Don't think there's gonna be any extra fully formed Zep songs lying around, but some alt takes or jams would be fascinating. The must be oodles of Stones stuff lying dormant.. the band seem too tight or lazy to go through it.. although I think there is an expanded Exile On Main St on the way soon...
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

I've got to go for an obvious one and say Pure Phase. I'd love to hear the orchestral versions of all of the songs for the whole album. They could also chuck in the different channel mixes on separate discs.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

generally i do not see the point of deluxe version for, to me, the point of an album is to create a complete piece and not a collection of songs. sure there are some deluxs albums i like but generally i like to have the collection of songs and any extra songs used as b-sides. oasis get slaughtered alot on here but i used to love how you'd buy an oasis single and have 3 brand new- usualy quality songs eg/ masterplan. now it's 3 different formats- one with a demo and a remix from someone i don't know, then the 7 inch with a new song i cannot access and then another single with a live version of the song and a chemical brothers' remix. no wonder the single is dying. now people are trying to get away with less as more.
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Deluxe versions are released for one reason only, to get fans to keep buying the records over and over.

Regarding the Stones, They put no effort what so ever into their remasters. At least the Beatles packaging is new and fresh. The only difference on the Stones "newest" remaster is the UMD logo. The cds sound marginally better. I think they realize this. The Get Your Ya Ya's box was nice and Exile is supposed to be reissued in April in a deluxe package w/bonus tracks.
They must have vaults of outtakes and unreleased tracks. I have hours of these and i'm just a fan. I am convinced someone in the band leaked these because the quality is excellent. Particularly in the Satanic, Beggars, Sticky Fingers, Let It Bleed, Exile "Golden Era".

Look at the effort Jason put into the LAGWAFIS reissue.

Mick & Keith....take note!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

angelsighs wrote:
Kick Out The Jams (surely more songs were recorded over the two nights, and it could do with a little remaster to sound even better)
There are so many bootleg live MC5 albums, tapes & cd's floating around out there that I am sure, in fact, I'm pretty positive that the other nights have appeared, and or, are in circulation.

Legit issues? Well, that's a different story.
solarflarez
Known user

Post by solarflarez »

Re the Stones, Get Yer Ya Yas Out, just came out with some nice extras, and im sure i read some where that Exile is being reissued this year with some unissued tracks on it, but yes , i get your point, The Stones could do a whole lot more with their reissues
carlpurkins
Known user

Post by carlpurkins »

Mansun's "Attack of the Grey Lantern" and probably "Six" as well... though I hear that Paul Draper is working on a special edition of "Attack...". 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
There are so many bootleg live MC5 albums, tapes & cd's floating around out there that I am sure, in fact, I'm pretty positive that the other nights have appeared, and or, are in circulation.

Legit issues? Well, that's a different story.
good point. infact a quick internet search revealed that there are some recordings out there.. but the quality ranges from the awful to the average apparantly.

got to say I disagree with people that are saying they dont like deluxe editions.. as a fan I can't get enough material of the bands I love.. and adding tracks onto the end of an album hardly dilutes whats there.. there is always the 'Stop' button y'know!! anyway for some albums theres so much extra content that they have to fill up the first disc and also have a chocka second disc (eg Sonic Youth reissues).
also re: the Verve I think their B sides are so strong they need to be out there somewhere.. the UH ones in particular are largely better than the album and show a different side to the band.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I think more than anything, I want a deluxe edition of the Breeders' Pod and Last Splash
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Most of the Pink Floyd library hasn't been mined in official releases, I guess because the band relations are so bad.. But there are certainly live albums and alternate takes to be released.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

jadams501 wrote:Most of the Pink Floyd library hasn't been mined in official releases, I guess because the band relations are so bad.. But there are certainly live albums and alternate takes to be released.
Basically all of the Floyd studio recordings (except for those two infamous songs) have been released in one form or another. PF generally doesn't do alternate takes, but I think a case could be made for a live album series similar to the Dylan bootleg series or something.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

There are good pro recordings of "The Massed Gadgets of Auximenes" aka "The man and the journey" (concertbegouw being the most famous) although much of it later became part of ummagumma and more.
..but I would buy it.
I think the bbc might have a good recording of "so what if it´s just green cheese".. ..that and the short parts from "the commitee" if found, could perhaps be bonus tracks for umma gumma.
There are also some nice outtakes to zabriskie point but some have been released.

If all of the tv, radio and movie stuff and outtakes were released for those two years (68-69) then it would be quite a nice box.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

Maybe Screamadelica will get a deluxe edition in line with the live show in November, a la LAGWAFIS? Fingers crossed...
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Screamadelica would be the one early 90s classic that really stands out as needing a deluxe edition.

I'd see The Cult's "Love" as being the high-water mark of deluxe editions; one which everything should aim towards. 4 CDs (in replica vinyl sleeves) comprising original LP; singles; demos/sessions and live.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I was thinking about this today in my car...

Husker Du and Black Flag releases on SST are in dire need of 'deluxe' editions. I'm not too sure about Black Flag, but Husker Du doesn't have many non-album releases (~10 tracks maybe). I'm thinking the way to go would be like the Joy Division deluxe editions: a remastered disc of the original album and a second disc of a popular bootleg from the era of the album. Black Flag and Husker Du records (ESPECIALLY HUSKER DU) need to at least be remastered. All the HD releases are mixed wafer-thin...no low end at all.

And these are cornerstone releases in punk and indie music history. But I guess it's not very "punk rock" to remaster old albums (although dischord was able to do this without compromising the original music or their DIY reputation). It's sad considering SST still has the rights to so many important records/bands (also Bad Brains, Minutemen, Descendents, Screaming Trees, ALL, etc...)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Pink Floyd live at Pompeii should certainly have an official LP/CD release. it's the best thing ever.

Also, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

James T wrote:Also, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.
hmm that's a good choice. Not a big fan of it myself, though it's such an indie-rock cornerstone I'm surprised that hasn't been taken advantage of by reissuing it nicely.
toomilk wrote: All the HD releases are mixed wafer-thin...no low end at all
that must be bloody annoying... (see also: The Perfect Prescription :) )