New BJM album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Luminescence
Known user

New BJM album

Post by Luminescence »

Just wondered if there were many Brian Jonestown Massacre fans here? Downloaded the new album, 'Who killed sgt. pepper?' the other day and am really loving it. Anyone else heard it yet or have an opinion?
Hey Jayne
runcible
Site Admin

Re: New BJM album

Post by runcible »

I'm a huge fan and I'm really interested in this. I thought My Bloody Underground was a difficult listen but had good moments. I still yearn for that droney sub-60's Stones jangle of old - And This Is Our Music is an absolute masterpiece but Anton has charged off in a completely different direction since then. What's this like - can you compare it to other material? And where did you download it from?
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

there's a little bit of info here : http://blog.limewire.com/posts/33952-ne ... gt-pepper/

likewise, I am very keen to hear it.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

i reckon this is their best effort for years. bit trip-hoppy, some joy division ish leanings, bit of shoegaze here and there. more texture than melody if you know what i mean. not much 60's jangle though. however its really good. i think.
Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

I've not heard the whole thing but there's some pretty nice sounding tracks on youtube. I'm also led to believe Will Carruthers had something to do with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxMZpYlz ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWY48yQpUjU
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'll be speaking with Willie B this weekend... i'll see if there is any inside info he can part with!

Also rather keen to hear any new BJM material and agree that their earlier material gets much more airplay around here than the last album
helterskelter
Known user

Post by helterskelter »

they are coming over here in may - got tickets for their shepherds bush show

will was on a song that was on utube a couple o fmonths ago but don't think its on the album - don't know if he is on the album, he might be as they are both based in berlin
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i've been biding time and waiting for it to come out on vinyl even though it's going to obscenely expensive ($40+).
it is true that it doesn't have that 60's jangle, but really any of the material from it that they play with the live band is going to end up having that sound when it's played live. that's been the way things seemed on the last tour- 'yeah-yeah' sounded very different to how it sounds on 'mbu.' i also suspect that there's an album that just needs to be finished that has that 60's-esque sound as well. they've been playing an unreleased track called 'prefab ambulation' or something like that for a few years now- i'd be very surprised if it isn't going to materialize on an album at some point.
i'm excited to hear the new album, although why did they leave 'ode to space hasstle' off- that was a really fantastic track sung by will- bluesy and dirty and beautiful.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Luminescence wrote:Just wondered if there were many Brian Jonestown Massacre fans here? Downloaded the new album, 'Who killed sgt. pepper?' the other day and am really loving it. Anyone else heard it yet or have an opinion?
Where did you download this? I heard the track with Will singing and thought it was fantastic.
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Im A Big Bjm Fan... The Album Is Pretty Good Very Different From The Others I Think.
Theres An Interview On Youtube Somewhere About How They Made It
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

runcible wrote:I'm a huge fan and I'm really interested in this. I thought My Bloody Underground was a difficult listen but had good moments. I still yearn for that droney sub-60's Stones jangle of old - And This Is Our Music is an absolute masterpiece but Anton has charged off in a completely different direction since then. What's this like - can you compare it to other material? And where did you download it from?

I do like the old 60's sounding material too, but Anton is a total genius and just as people think they have him pigeon holed he goes and produces something totally different like 'MBU'. 'Who Killed Sgt. Pepper?' is along the lines of 'MBU' but more accessible and easier to listen too. 'Super fucked' has a real Happy Mondays sound to it and 'This is one thing..' is a total nod to Joy Division. There's a very scandenavian feel to a lot of Anton's work at the moment too, (he's re-located to Iceland and Germany lately). It would be nice if there was another 60's type masterpiece in the studio waiting to be recorded, but this is more than god enough at the moment.

It's all on you tube if you look for it but i downloaded it from itunes. The physical release is set for 22/2/10.
Hey Jayne
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I like old BJM too and agree with runcible about the brilliance of "And this is our music...". It is my personal favorite album by BJM. I would also list "Bravery, Repetition and Noise", "Take It From the Man" and "Give It Back" as wonderful albums. I've seen them live countless times dating back to when they were a tiny, shambolic band that nobody heard of to now with their new found popularity thanks to "the movie". I've also heard the new tunes and I honestly ask people to forget everything they know about them, remove the baggage and listen to the music and ask themselves if his latest albums are any good. I mean, truly?

For an artist to challenge oneself and to take risks is great and essential for ones growth...I cite Oasis as a band who never took risks and were, by their third album, very boring. Radiohead, however, took serious artistic risks with "Kid A' and it is now considered by many as one of the greatest albums of the past 10 years. But, is Anton taking risks to improve his art or are they self-indulgent tangents that he has explored, hit the record button and produced an object to sell to followers? I'm not sure if even I have that answer but because I pose the question I guess I know where I lean. Even if this is the case there is nothing wrong with it, his new tunes will strike a chord with many and he is justified to do what he wants...it is, afterall, his music and his art. But, I guess more and more I am losing interest in buying his product. Sad really as I did once herald the band as one of the greats.

I still do.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just gave it a listen. Very interesting. I agree with whoever on this thread said it was MBU but more accessible. Seems like most of the songs had been recorded in Iceland with the previous album. Very Joy Division-y, especially the aptly titled "This Is The One Thing We Did Not" which samples JD.

Wouldn't quite say that I like it yet. Very disappointed that "Ode to Space Hassle" isn't on it - I was kind of expecting the album to sound more like that. Hopefully it'll be on the next one.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw Dig for the first time last night and really enjoyed it. Haven't heard much BJM on record but definitely tempted to delve into their back catalgue. Have actulally seen them live twice though; the first time supporting BRMC in Brighton during the Howl tour and the second time last year in San Francsiso supporting Primal Scream. Both time I thought they were great. Coincidently, a few friends and I are planning a trip to Amsterdam in May and were hoping to take in a gig or 2 while we were there and both BJM and BRMC are playing on the one of the nights we are scheduled to be there.....could be good 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

toomilk wrote:Very disappointed that "Ode to Space Hassle" isn't on it - I was kind of expecting the album to sound more like that. Hopefully it'll be on the next one.
i was really pissed when i didn't see it on the tracklisting. it's the best of all of the new songs. it's possible it'll come out on an ep or something soon- that 'amazing electronic talking cave' song was the best out of all of the MBU stuff and it wasn't on the album either- it ended up on an ep instead.

i actually am really happy with the new bjm album- i've listened to it a lot more than MBU. there are only a few sections where i feel like it lags.