Pure Phase vinyl

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Noddy
Known user

Pure Phase vinyl

Post by Noddy »

Hi
Just picked up the Pure Phase vinyl for £25, pretty chuffed to have got it for this price, do any other board members own it? This and Ladies and Gents are the only vinyls I dont have. Was it pressed in limited quantities? (I was only 10 when it was released so I missed the whole details of its release).

Ta
Mark
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Pure Phase vinyl

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, I've got a vinyl copy. I think 25 GBP is a good price, too. Fantastic album. If only they'd reissue L&G, I'd be set. I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for one of the originals.
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Apparently Pure Phase vinyl was limited to 1000 copies only, LAG vinyl to 2000, yet LAG tends to go for much more than Pure Phase.

£25 is a pretty good price. Often goes for £35-4 and I've seen copies sell for £60+

Cheapest I ever saw was £5 (Ebay seller misspelt band name and so missed out on a lot of potential bidders, kicked myself when I forgot to put in a bid on that).

Post by mh »

I bought mine when it came out back in 95, but never knew it was so rare. Wouldn't dream of selling it though.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

I too bought mine when it came out and also had no idea they were that limited. I have difficulty believing that there was only 1000 pressed.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

only one thousand is a good new info. but understandable. back then SPZ were still more like considered as "alternative" artist, compared to Blur or Oasis. of course SPZ was doing big things already back then and it was highly moving and emotional to most of the fans. but the sale numbers were not strong mainly because the band leader was not attrected to make it sell more and more and more. example - how many people has he turned off, because of not looking down the stage? list goes on... i'm talking here like a priest, but what i mean is, that many small details can become THE big picture of what you make out of the band. and i know what i mean, because i have been "preaching" about them in here for a long time and always i'm hearing such bullshit comments why people don't get SPZ and that affects the sales eventually.
that number - 1000, is just the right one for PP.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

TheWarmth wrote:Yeah, I've got a vinyl copy. I think 25 GBP is a good price, too. Fantastic album. If only they'd reissue L&G, I'd be set. I'm not paying hundreds of dollars for one of the originals.
Thanks everyone for their help. I second the above, there is a great demand for that vinyl, it should have been re-pressed. Its not right paying so much for the original, and am I right in saying the orignal L&G vinyl was poor sound quality?
I also wish Sonic Boom could re-issue Spectrum - Highs, Lows, Heavenly Blows vinyl, I cannot find this anywhere.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

L & G has a first pressing which skips on some tracks. I have one of those.

Highs, Lows is an odd one. On the tour to support the album it was pretty much deleted by about the 2nd date as Silvertone fell out with Spectrum and ditched them (and the planned 'stained glass' album sleeve) and barely publicised anythiong to do with the tour or album, effectively jettisoning the band as they went on the road. I was buying stock of all new issue stuff from Pete and he didn't have any as it had sold out straightaway and they hardly pressed any. Got some in the end but it's been one of the hardest Spectrum finds for years now and well due a reissue.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Its a shame because the Highs, Lows,, artwork is brilliant and would have looked amazing 'stained glass', also its a sublime album, which really deserves more exposure, I have picked most other Spectrum stuff up pretty easily, paid around £35 for the Soul Kiss clear cover vinyl. Well worth it though, what an album...
Last edited by Noddy on Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

I managed to find a nice copy of Pure Phase on vinyl for just under £20 on ebay about a year ago, which I thought was an absolute steal!

I know people have said that it doesnt work as well as CD due to the side breaks, but I think it's a brilliant pressing, absolutely fantastic sounding. Love it.

I've just bought a Linn LP12 (not bragging honest) and when I played 'Let it Flow', the 'BOOM-BOOM' bass drum as the music comes in after the noise section in the middle... man, it nearly made me go to toilet in my pants. Absolutely MAGIC :shock:

Enjoy your vinyl ! :D
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

PS discussion re: lagwafis vinyl here http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... f=3&t=7722
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

Noddy wrote:Its a shame because the Highs, Lows,, artwork is brilliant and would have looked amazing 'stained glass', also its a sublime album, which really deserves more exposure, I have picked most other Spectrum stuff up pretty easily, payed around £35 for the Soul Kiss clear cover vinyl. Well worth it though, what an album...
shame soul kiss was pressed on such awful viny thoughl, mine sounded terrible from new, lots of pops, crackles and a constant hiss all the way through so i just stick to the cd when i listen to it these days
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

I own a copy of Pure Phase on vinyl.
I prefer listening to it on the turntable rather than CD.
I recall Jason saying once how it translated better on vinyl, as subtle sounds and undertones just sound clearer.

I have a lot of Spz on vinyl, except Ladies and Gentlemen.
I refuse to pay and exuberant amount such as what the market is currently asking.
I also recall a problem during it's pressing that left copies somewhat warped, and I'd rather not waste my time or money with that.

Like I said, I enjoy spinning my copy of PP on the turntable.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Noddy-

Where did you get your copy?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I like Pure Phase, but I tend to think of it as the most dated Spz album -- it seems very mid-90s, without the timelessness of their other records and especially LGM. But reading this it occurs to me that it might be some mastering issues and limitations of the digital medium in capturing all of the nuances in the Spaceman sound. It will probably never happen, but I would love to hear this LP on vinyl!!

good dope/good fun wrote:I own a copy of Pure Phase on vinyl.
I recall Jason saying once how it translated better on vinyl, as subtle sounds and undertones just sound clearer.

I refuse to pay and exuberant amount such as what the market is currently asking.
I also recall a problem during it's pressing that left copies somewhat warped, and I'd rather not waste my time or money with that.

JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I bumped into John Coxon at Glastonbury in '95 and had quite a long chat with him. He said Pure Phase worked better on vinyl and you could hear sounds on it that just didn't make it to the cd.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

jadams501 wrote:I like Pure Phase, but I tend to think of it as the most dated Spz album -- it seems very mid-90s, without the timelessness of their other records and especially LGM. But reading this it occurs to me that it might be some mastering issues and limitations of the digital medium in capturing all of the nuances in the Spaceman sound. It will probably never happen, but I would love to hear this LP on vinyl!!

good dope/good fun wrote:I own a copy of Pure Phase on vinyl.

I greatly disagree with this opinion-I think PP is, of all their records, the most timeless in that its sound is kind of hard to place on any musical timeline. Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that all Spaceman's music is timeless (and that's why it is as affecting and powerful and unique as it is to me). But I think PP is a curio, really unique and way out there compared to their other albums. It came out the same year as Roll With It vs. Country House. That sums it up for me. Any fairweather fan or music critic is likely to comment that it is the band's strangest and most unique record. Didn't a review of the recently rereleased LAG comment about PP , saying something along these lines?

I wouldn't say LGM sounds dated, but I feel of all their albums it is the easiest to place on a musical timeline.

And yes, I want PP on vinyl too!
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Hi,
I got it from www.discogs.com, I had checked for it weeks and on Saturday it had become available. Needless to say I was over the moon!
I also have to say that Pure Phase has aged like a fine wine, so much going. I certainly think that it has aged better than Let It Come Down/Amazing Grace. Take Good Care of It is pure bliss. Its mad how much that song changed (for the better) between 92-95.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

When Pure Phase came out I was in love. Nothing sounded anything like it - and nothing has since. But, my god, it's hard to include tracks from it in a 'best of Spiritualized' due to the mad professor production.

For me it's Spiritualized really going for it. I loved the line up at that time and think Sean Cook really added to the sound. Personally I would love the next record to be as ambitious as Pure Phase.

And it does sounds cracking on vinyl. L&GWAFIS never did. I know it's the most requested on vinyl but for me the ones that work best are:

Fucked Up Inside
Pure Phase
Let It Come Down
Lazer Guided Melodies
Albert Hall Live
Songs In A&E
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I have High and Lows on vinyl and know a man who has a box of em.
I shall alert him to this thread!
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

The version of Medication on Pure phase is far better than the single.
Heavy Tourism
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

plastic37 wrote:The version of Medication on Pure phase is far better than the single.
Ah, but nothing compares to those b-sides!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

plastic37 wrote:I have High and Lows on vinyl and know a man who has a box of em.
please do- i've been looking for that one on vinyl. i'd buy one if the price was right.
JPB wrote: Let It Come Down
it does sound amazing on vinyl- i heard all kinds of stuff going on that i'd never noticed in about eight years of owning it once i bought it on vinyl. the low-end is nice and phat and clear. i particularly love all of the bass on 'don't just do something.'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm not saying that I dislike Pure Phase, or that elements of it aren't essential parts of the unique Spaceman catalogue. But I'd say that about The Bends, too, which is probably the single most 1995 record I've ever heard.

LGM may have come out during the general shoe-gaze era, but there's something very unique about it -- it's much stronger melodically than almost anything else in that genre, and the glistening psychedelic combination of gospel and the Velvets and other 60s pop is unlike anything else I've heard. Pure Phase is unique in and of itself -- and I'm a big fan of Slide Song, All Of My Tears, Medication, etc. -- but there's definitely something very "mid-90s psychedelic indie" about it like Mercury Rev or The Bends or something, the production quality seems much more grounded in the era than most other Spz records. But I wonder how much of that might be the CD mastering rather than the master tapes. The only other record that I'd say is as tied to its time is Songs in A&E, which to me has a distinctly "late 2000s chamber pop" quality like the Arcade Fire or something with a more organic production quality than we had heard for many years. This isn't a bad thing -- Sgt Pepper's has 1967 written all over it -- but just a strong vibe I get from these LPs.

I'm not sure if I'd say it's their strangest record -- the production (at least on CD) is a little too much, but if you remove Pure Phase and Electric Phase (and if he hadn't have sabotaged Take Good Care of It) I wouldn't say it's particularly stranger than LGM, Ladies and Gents, or Songs in A&E).

I do agree that I'd like to see J do more orchestrated psychedelia ala Pure Phase as opposed to the mix of garage rock and chamber pop that dominated most of Songs of A&E, though I like that record very much. Baby I'm Just A Fool and a few other tracks seemed to point in this direction.
radioshack wrote:
jadams501 wrote:I like Pure Phase, but I tend to think of it as the most dated Spz album -- it seems very mid-90s, without the timelessness of their other records and especially LGM. But reading this it occurs to me that it might be some mastering issues and limitations of the digital medium in capturing all of the nuances in the Spaceman sound. It will probably never happen, but I would love to hear this LP on vinyl!!

good dope/good fun wrote:I greatly disagree with this opinion-I think PP is, of all their records, the most timeless in that its sound is kind of hard to place on any musical timeline. Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that all Spaceman's music is timeless (and that's why it is as affecting and powerful and unique as it is to me). But I think PP is a curio, really unique and way out there compared to their other albums. It came out the same year as Roll With It vs. Country House. That sums it up for me. Any fairweather fan or music critic is likely to comment that it is the band's strangest and most unique record. Didn't a review of the recently rereleased LAG comment about PP , saying something along these lines?

I wouldn't say LGM sounds dated, but I feel of all their albums it is the easiest to place on a musical timeline.

jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah, of all Spz albums Ladies and Gents is probably the one I am least interested in hearing on vinyl. Pure Phase, LGM, and Let It All Come Down are prob my top choices.
shalloboi wrote:
plastic37 wrote:I have High and Lows on vinyl and know a man who has a box of em.
please do- i've been looking for that one on vinyl. i'd buy one if the price was right.
JPB wrote: Let It Come Down
it does sound amazing on vinyl- i heard all kinds of stuff going on that i'd never noticed in about eight years of owning it once i bought it on vinyl. the low-end is nice and phat and clear. i particularly love all of the bass on 'don't just do something.'
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

If that highs lows vinyl comes available please count me in. Ta
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

radioshack wrote:
I greatly disagree with this opinion-I think PP is, of all their records, the most timeless in that its sound is kind of hard to place on any musical timeline. Don't get me wrong, I'd argue that all Spaceman's music is timeless (and that's why it is as affecting and powerful and unique as it is to me). But I think PP is a curio, really unique and way out there compared to their other albums. It came out the same year as Roll With It vs. Country House. That sums it up for me. Any fairweather fan or music critic is likely to comment that it is the band's strangest and most unique record. Didn't a review of the recently rereleased LAG comment about PP , saying something along these lines?

I have to agree with jadams501 on this and I don't think you can get away with having Oasis and Blur as contemporaries "of the time" either. :wink:
Over time it has begun to feel like a "hangover" album and by that I mean a hangover from LGM. I feel there is a certain sedated (blissed may have been another word, however the feel is more caged than searing sunshine and thousand yard stares) complex about the album, perhaps pierced only by the astounding "Born Never Asked". I don't hear too much difference between LGM & PP now and the idea of PP being the most unique record doesn't sit right with me (at least). Where LGM feels awash with haze, PP feels covered in hum. Where LGM is outro-spective from the minds eye, PP is intro-spective trying to shut the world out while it trys to seep in.
Songs like Medication, All Of My Tears, Let It Flow, Take Good Care, Lay Back & Goin' Home with a different treatment could've all been on LGM. They all have the same sort of listless feel as You Know It's True, If I Were, Smiles, Take Your Time, Shine A Light & Sway. Furthermore, this could be said of All Of My Thoughts, Stay With Me, Broken Heart & Cool Waves.
Yet, whilst I find LGM dated...it doesn't really matter as it is dated. Perhaps it's the struggle with the subconcious thought that PP is by all accounts (maybe even mine) unique. That and the fact at the time when I bought it; allied with my lack of alternative music tastes, it really did feel unique.

My current (and probably ever changing) thoughts on Spiritualized are that the first 3 albums serve up wonder culminating in LAGWAFIS...almost like an explorational tryptych. Similarly with the latter 3 albums. Incidentally I find LAGWAFIS now, the most challenging album; from Home Of The Brave onwards I find it a huge undertaking whereas the first 5 tracks are so accessible. I find PP & LGM the better sequenced with the current A&E being about "spot on". I can't really comment on LICD or AG as I rarely listen however I seem to recall an underlying continued metallic screach from AG that put me off. LICD works best for me towards the latter stages.

Anyway, as the thread was talking about timelessness and uniquness, I'd say that in areas PP does sound dated and I'd argue that perhaps only in textural qualities it is unique...which is still unique, of course. However I'd say that either LGM or PP are more accessible and it makes me scratch my nut that LAGWAFIS was the choice for a "legacy" edition.

B,
S.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Interesting views here and I'll chuck mine in.

I love LGM and don't feel any of it sounds even vaguely dated - it could be a new release and still sound fresh and remarkable. I do notice moments of Screamadelica in there from time to time but If I Were With Her Now (for instance) is so timeless it could have come out almost any time in the last 20 years. As for Shine A Light - well, that has to Jason's most durable song since Spacemen 3.

At the time Pure Phase really disappointed me as so much of the material was old - also I disagree that Medication sounds better on that album than the single. Having said that the gigs on the PP tour were among the most incredible I have ever seen in my life; Jongleurs was intimate and I stood a few feet in front of Jason during These Blues, swimming in wah-wah and harmonica sreech, then got so fucked up I was run over by a cyclist after the one at Shepherd's Bush Empire! I have found that PP has really grown on me over the years and realise how good it is these days - Spread Your Wings is astounding and I think people would fly from all over the world to hear it performed live (please Jason?!). Interesting you mention Born Never Asked which I find rather dull. The progression from PP to LAGWAFIS was obviously crucial yet I still don't like LAG much. Absolutely spot on about the tracks from Home of the Brave onwards - it is a very difficult listen which makes it even more remarkable that people still regard it as Jason's masterpiece.

The great thing about both Pete and Jason is the fact that their music can make you feel very differently about it as the years go by. A quick check on Soul Kiss leaves me jaw agape at how varied and extraordinary it is but for a while I felt it was too self-indulgent. Let It Come Down sounds better than ever these days but I was unsure when it came out. Sound of Confusion scared the hell out of me last time I heard it such was the raw aggression and 'don't give a fuck' mentality. Here's hoping for loads more over the years - I think the new Spectrum album is going to be very exciting.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

runcible wrote:Interesting views here and I'll chuck mine in.
I had written a whole disective piece regarding LGM, PP & LAG but decided to ditch it as everyone could be doing without it.

Not listened to LGM in donks and found it on an old Hard Drive in work; it's very explorative, doesn't shirk from the fact that it's raw, basic in parts and heavily reliant on influence but on the flip-side it offers far more than the contemporaries at the time. Just for a day, Screamadelica, Loveless etc perhaps get bundled in with LGM (or vice-versa) and whilst I still believe that all these albums carry a similar general feel; fluid, hazy and drugged at a very basic level, LGM perhaps has become dated to me as a result of this pigeon-holing.

Taking a step back (or closer again) i'm finding far more new things to review my original thoughts. Words such as "Cale", "Townshend", "Beat", "agricultural", "charming", "winsome" spring to mind. Didn't appreciate that Ode to Street Hassle appears at the end of angle sighs!!! There's far more elegance in this album than I first thought.
Well worth re-investing in.

B,
S.

EDIT:

What is interesting (to me) in part of the diatribe of my thoughts prior to posting, is the relationship of Spiritualized albums to that of contemporaries (and or music scene) and how this may in-fact render them both unique and or time-stamped.

91/92/93 - LGM, Just For a Day, Souvlaki, Screamadelica, Loveless, ASIH, Modern Life
94/95 - PP, Give Out..., Pygmalion, Definitley Maybe, WTSMG, ANS, The Bends, Parklife, The Great Escape
97 - LAGWAFIS, UH, Be Here Now, OK Computer, Vanishing Point, Blur

There are evident comparisons of sorts in the early 90's and perhaps this is what allows the term "dated" to recurr.
Fast forward a few years and there's plenty of dad rock about; Slowdive going minimal and the Scream getting there rocks off left a certain uniqueness about what Spiritualized were doing.
Similarly at the "death of Britpop" which in truth I've always thought Suede sorted before the "term" had been coined.

B,
S.
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

maybe the band will surprise us and play some 15th anniversary pure phase gigs this year.

i would fly across the ocean for that. not for lagwafis though. just sayin