New White Hills LP

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

New White Hills LP

Post by TheWarmth »

Check the packaging on this. I pre-ordered a copy.

http://www.omgvinyl.com/2010/02/16/white-hills-st-lp/
Last edited by TheWarmth on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunray
Known user

Re: New White Hills LP

Post by sunray »

Got this a couple of weeks ago, it looks better in the photos than in the hand. That's not to say it doesn't look good, it just seems nicer on screen. Good album though but no download code supplied with mine, there's supposed to be a code that gives you the vinyl songs plus the 3 different tunes that are on the cd version (which also has a different cover to the vinyl). For some reason i had it in my head that the vinyl was 180gm, though that was never mentioned anywhere, it's not.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Have you tried emailing Thrill Jockey to ask about getting the download code? Also, how did you get it weeks ago? Thrill Jockey is doing a pre-order right now. Maybe the UK version came out earlier than the US version?
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Yep came out 1st Feb in Europe really good came with the download which is good as the cd has a couple of extra jams that aint on the vinyl. Looks fantastic great work from Johnny "O" Though intreasted in this sorta thing should check out Mugstars new cd due mid march i think on important records excellent psych kraut. There playing with The White Hills in Manchester Also anyone going to see The White Hills in Nottingham try make sure you catch Dom Keller some of there recent stuff is pretty mind
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Email sent off to Thrill Jockey.

Yeah i'm really looking forward to Mugstar's new one, great band and hopefully playing their first Irish gigs the beginning of June, they're currently looking for a promoter to put them on. Fingers crossed.
Dom Keller are decent too.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

saw white hills in nottingham last night. WOW! i mean, really fucking amazing. i like their records and that but they really dont do them justice. they looked a lot younger than i was expecting. really loud, trancey, groovy, thrashy rock n roll.
pontiak were purdy good also.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Very limited amount of new White Hills / Gnod split lp available for pre-order here: http://invada-records.blogspot.com/2010 ... le-on.html

Also new Mugstar album is well worth checking out if you like this kind of thing.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the tip! I got one. I wonder how many are being pressed in total. Invada only got 10.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Thanks sunray! Between The Heads and Invada websites, I'm fast becoming a broke but very happy man :lol:
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I ordered the Beak> Wulfstan 12" from Invada, too. I had to stop myself from getting the blue 2xLP of their debut album.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Just had a listen to the Gnod/White Hills album, very nice indeed. I was expecting it to be a full on assault and a bit all over the place at times but it's not, in fact it's very focused and almost restrained. Recommended. Pity the sleeve was a bit bent when it arrived. :(
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Curiously I played that tonight while I got the supper sorted and really enjoyed it too. The endless rhythms on about 3 of the tracks were very impressive and there was a sublime slice of wobbly ambience at the end too.

When I saw White Hills in Manchester earlier this year I noticed a pineapple-dreadlocked bloke bouncing about happily at the front who I was later informed was one of the Gnog gents. Then I heard of the Invanda collaboration and worked out the link.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If you are looking for the Gnod/White Hills split I ordered it from Piccadilly as they were something like £5 cheaper than Invada! Worth noting.
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Heres a link to some live sets on the wfmu download site (also worth searching for the shjips and Oneida at primevera!)

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/White ... _4th_2010/

if you search further down the page theres a link to the white hills set from april 2007 both are more than recommened if you into this sorta brain crushing psych "stoogewind" was mentioned somewhere and i think that fairly on the mark!
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

New White Hills album "H-p1" on the way: http://rocketrecordings.blogspot.com/ plus a re-issue of "Gnod Dropout with..."
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Awesome. Super psyched for this one!
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

sonic124 wrote:Heres a link to some live sets on the wfmu download site (also worth searching for the shjips and Oneida at primevera!)

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/White ... _4th_2010/

if you search further down the page theres a link to the white hills set from april 2007 both are more than recommened if you into this sorta brain crushing psych "stoogewind" was mentioned somewhere and i think that fairly on the mark!
thanks for this...i saw them almost a year ago in an art gallery in nottingham....it was my b'day and i'd drunk a bottle of vodka....they were fucking amazing...all covered in glittery paint and the volume was HEAVY.
doggen helped them out for the last tune. cant wait to see them again...should do an ATP really
Minky
Known user

Re: White Hills on East Village Radio

Post by Minky »

"Listen to a Special Ambient Performance by White Hills on Beyond Beyond is Beyond."

http://www.eastvillageradio.com/content ... hp?id=1429

Two tracks and interview towards the end of the show.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new LP is available for pre-order through Thrill Jockey. Since I live in Chicago, I'm hoping to be one of the first people to receive a copy! First 500 are on clear vinyl w/orange streaks:

http://www.thrilljockey.com/catalog/ind ... ?id=105301
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Is this the white album cover with the b&w photo of the guitarist (from behind)? If not, is this one any good? I saw it on vinyl at a record store last night. It said "Limited Ed." all over it and was marked at $14.99. Worth it?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The new one (H -p1) is not out yet. The one you saw is Stolen Stars Left For No One, which I don't recommend if you're not already a big fan of the band (honestly, I never listen to that one). If I were you, I would seek out the self-titled album, which is a great blend of mellow acoustics, balls-out rockers and psychedelic tweak-outs. I really love it. If you want to explore White Hills ambient side, look no further than A Little Bliss Forever. Oh, and don't forget Gnod Drop Out With White Hills II, which is just phenomenal.

White Hills - Self-Titled: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... ite_hills/
White Hills - A Little Bliss Forever: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... s_forever/
Gnod Drop Out With White Hills II: http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ ... _hills_ii/
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue May 31, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i really should try getting into these guys. great info there TheWarmth.. which album would be best if I fancy the heavy side of the band? s/t or the Gnod one?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

The self-titled album has more heavy psych-rock on it, so that's probably the one for you. The Gnod/W.H. Drop Out LP is a blend of driving/hypnotic/motorik tracks and atmospheric, almost-ambient stuff.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Minky wrote:H-p1 video.
http://vimeo.com/24565777
sounds great!!
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

the album is just brilliant!
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

I like this track a lot which I think displays both sides of the band very well. The whole solo part at 3:48 is fantastic but the fucker fades out just as it's starting to take off. I can't wait for the full version which sounds great from the live youtube clips I've watched.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

My 2xLP copy just arrived! Review coming soon.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Yeah mine just showed up too. Really nice packaging and the clear yellow vinyl looks great.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

clear yellow in hand :!: cannot wait to spin this esp still coming down from that blistering Austin set
I think I feel it coming on
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm loving this so far. Listened to the first six tracks this morning and will get to the other three on my way home. As expected, there's a very nice variety of material strewn across the album. The two balls-out rockers that they posted for free download (Upon Arrival and Condition of Nothing) are just one piece of a massive puzzle.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

White Hills - Measured Energy 7"

First appearing on Trensmat almost three years ago with Acid Mothers Temple on the second disc of the Hawkwind covers trilogy 'Sonic Attack', White Hills have since continued travelling steadily upwards towards the cosmos, culminating in this year's stellar long-player H-p1, released via Thrill Jockey.

The volume is taken down somewhat for this 7", but the spacey intensity remains. 'Measured Energy' places a clean, mellow synth line over disturbing scrapes and malfunctioning readouts, as if the creature from John Carpenter's Dark Star was allowed to run amok aboard your turntable.

The flipside 'The Uncommon Parallel That Resides Between Your Fingertips' is a much darker beast, with heavily-distorted synth stabs blasting desperately at a vast groaning mass of sonic malevolence. Eventually the two forces collide and burn out, giving birth to a brief fragment of rock jamming, paving the way for the bonus digital track.

A URL is printed on the artwork which, when accessed in your browser, leads to an exclusive near-10 minute stoner-blues odyssey 'The Process NO OTHER WAY', which brings together the remaining elements of what White Hills do best and rounds this package off in fine style. If that wasn't enough, two short Ego Sensation movies are also bundled with the download - you have been warned!

Pre-orders will be immediately sent a link to the download package.

VERY limited edition 7" in full colour wraparound picture sleeve (+ 5 downloads).

Aug 2011, TR024.

http://trensmat.com/tr024.html
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just ordered a copy for myself, though I'm still waiting on the email with the download linky.
crazyland
New user

Post by crazyland »

TheWarmth wrote:Just ordered a copy for myself, though I'm still waiting on the email with the download linky.
Check your spam; that's where my 'download linky' ended...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Got the download and listened this morning. Good stuff! I love the tripped-out ambient/electronic track.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Long out of print CDr, Abstractions & Mutations, has gotten the vinyl treatment: http://immunerecordings.net/catalog/abs ... mutations/
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Ordered. Thanks for the link Sunray. I have the original issue, but I'm very partial to this mob on vinyl.....
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Thanks for the heads up Sunray...just ordered this too. Though I'm unsure if I've managed to secure one of the gold copies. Have either of you had any indication which version you've ordered?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Shinesalight wrote:Thanks for the heads up Sunray...just ordered this too. Though I'm unsure if I've managed to secure one of the gold copies. Have either of you had any indication which version you've ordered?
I have heard nothing from the label. I did get payment confirnation from PayPal. It was running into Thanksgiving though, so maybe the confirmation email will arrive late.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Not new, but anyone who needs a copy of the Black Valleys cd in a dvd case from a few years ago should grab one now: http://whitehills.store-08.com/music/

Only a handful of these left from a run of 300 and there won't be any more. Must have found a few in the garden shed! Just ordered one myself as I only had an mp3 of it up till now.
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Pre-order up on Thrill Jockey site, green vinyl + bonus 12".
http://thrilljockey.com/thrill/White-Hi ... dxFQKyDkfR
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

£17/$24 for postage, hmm, that's shit, wonder if this will be available this side of the pond in this format, hope so, :(
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for the tip on the green vinyl + bonus 12" deal. Got my order in.

Also, Stereogum has an exclusive premier of another new song, which I think sounds great.

http://www.stereogum.com/1400562/white- ... iere/mp3s/
Last edited by TheWarmth on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

niamhm wrote:£17/$24 for postage, hmm, that's shit, wonder if this will be available this side of the pond in this format, hope so, :(
I wouldn't count on it. Not sure why labels overcharge on shipping like this. It shouldn't cost them more than $18 or so to ship both records to the UK.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, it's an absolute bummer that the shipping is the same price as the records. The record collector geek in me is probably going to win though in a battle against common sense. :roll:

Is there not a Thrill Jockey distributor here in the UK? If not, there bloody well should be.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

http://www.roughtrade.com/albums/74836

limited green vinyl, doesn`t specify a bonus 12" though,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got this back today from Thrill Jockey with regards to excessive postage costs from the U.S an whether there was an exclusive UK distribution deal with any shops over here:-

Hello Adam

Thank you for contacting me regarding mail order.

I really aware this is an issue, and it is something we are trying to change in the future. So in a few months we will be handling the EU mail orders from the London office. But that isn't useful for you right now! Rough Trade East should have the pre order link set up for the White Hills, they have the limited green vinyl version, they will also have the LP + 12" version. They do mail order so I would think the best place to get that. The same with kandodo - they will also have the limited version of that release, which should be also available to pre order. I hope this is is some help to you, please keep an eye on the website as we will be changing the mail order soon and be able to offer UK postal prices.

Thanks again for getting in touch and supporting the label.

Best Wises
Anthea
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Shinesalight wrote:Got this back today from Thrill Jockey with regards to excessive postage costs from the U.S an whether there was an exclusive UK distribution deal with any shops over here:-

Hello Adam

Thank you for contacting me regarding mail order.

I really aware this is an issue, and it is something we are trying to change in the future. So in a few months we will be handling the EU mail orders from the London office. But that isn't useful for you right now! Rough Trade East should have the pre order link set up for the White Hills, they have the limited green vinyl version, they will also have the LP + 12" version. They do mail order so I would think the best place to get that. The same with kandodo - they will also have the limited version of that release, which should be also available to pre order. I hope this is is some help to you, please keep an eye on the website as we will be changing the mail order soon and be able to offer UK postal prices.

Thanks again for getting in touch and supporting the label.

Best Wises
Anthea
What I`m taking from your email reply is that the limited green vinyl version will be separate from the bonus 12" version so if I want both the coloured vinyl & the 12" I need to buy it twice? that's crap! :? although I can have them together from the 'States' if I pay some 17 notes p&p :? ... ... wasn`t the last Carlton Melton album a similar type of carry on?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

niamhm wrote:wasn`t the last Carlton Melton album a similar type of carry on?
Yeah, you could either buy the last Carlton Melton LP on clear vinyl or on black vinyl, but with the extra 12". I really don't know why bands are doing this...well, apart from making money out of sad completists like us who would want to get both versions :roll:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

Hey shines & niamh, Norman has the Vinyl + 12" although it's still a bit murky in the description whether it'll be green or black vinyl but it has the bonus 3 track 12".

http://www.normanrecords.com/records/14 ... ls--so-you
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers for that Minky. The manageress of my local record store, Resident Records in Brighton, has emailed me to say they're getting the vinyl with the limited edition 12" too and she's going to put a copy aside for me (along with the new Kandodo LP + 7" :wink: ). These White Hills LP+12" bundles are just for independent record stores but I still reckon the green vinyl will only be available to the mail order customers on the Thrill Jockey website, (though no one from Thrill Jockey, White Hills or Resident has confirmed this).
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Just got my LP w/bonus 12". Downloaded the digital version and put it on my iPod. I'll give it a listen on the train tomorrow morning. Got a sick kid glued to the tv, so I probably won't get to spin the vinyl today. The translucent green vinyl looks great and matches the cover art perfectly.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

the albums streaming here if you can deal with your distaste at them and yourself for engaging with Pitchfork :?

http://pitchfork.com/advance/179-so-you ... -youll-be/
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Upon first listen, I like this album a lot more than Frying On This Rock. As usual, it's got a nice blend of material ranging from pummelling, abrasive rockers to synthy ambient pieces, but the overall quality is higher this time around and I think the production is a step up, too. Recommended.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Glitter Glamour Atrocity is getting a reissue. Remastered and first time on vinyl.

Info here: http://www.thrilljockey.com/thrill/Whit ... 6QOfbGKgRc
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

I now have three WH lps.
Live at Roadburn
So You Are
&
Frying on this Rock.

Of the three the Roadburn set is the one that really grabs me. The other night it seemed better than ever - blissful, perfect, stately, majestic... etc etc
But the other two... The Roadburn disc gets 10 spins for every time i struggle to remain focused on the others.

With that in mind where might you recommend i go next? How far back down the catalouge?
Heavy Tourism
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think the best ones are H-p1 and Gnod Drop Out With White Hills, Vol. 2:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/gnod-drop ... 0002129449
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

TheWarmth wrote:I think the best ones are H-p1 and Gnod Drop Out With White Hills, Vol. 2:

Totally agree with this. Love both of these, especially the one with Gnod. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I'm a big fan of "Glitter Glamour Atrocity" and "Heads On Fire" too. These contain a few songs that regularly get played live and are really good too. Heads On Fire has the epic "Don't Be Afraid"... a 26min slab of White Hills genius.
I have a few of their CDr releases that i think have got some really strong material on them. Little different at times from the albums; more spacey and droney (for lack of better words) but i think these compliment the heavier stuff really well, for example, the "Little Bliss Forever" and "Stolen Stars Left For No One" releases.

While we are on the subject, has anyone been lucky enough to get any of the other CDr releases by them? I'd love to hear the other "Drop Out" release with Gnod and some o fthe Oditty releases. Anyone able to share? these very often disappear quick and/or are only available on tour. I'll happily share any of the more obscure releases i have in return.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Laz69 wrote:While we are on the subject, has anyone been lucky enough to get any of the other CDr releases by them? I'd love to hear the other "Drop Out" release with Gnod and some o fthe Oditty releases. Anyone able to share?
I have Oddity ... A Look At How The Collective Mind Works and Oddity II: Scene On Mill Mountain. I also have Gnod & White Hills: Aquarian Downer. Interested? Shoot me a PM with your email address.

Update: Dropbox linky ready to roll for anyone who wants it. Includes the two discs mentioned above and a few other goodies.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

Laz69 wrote:Little different at times from the albums; more spacey and droney (for lack of better words) but i think these compliment the heavier stuff really well,
I don't find those interludes add anything for me. The second track on So Your Are ... is a good example. Maybe they've included that breathing space too early - like a tea break without having done the requisite labour.
Shinesalight wrote: TheWarmth wrote:I think the best ones are H-p1 and Gnod Drop Out With White Hills, Vol. 2:

Totally agree with this. Love both of these, especially the one with Gnod. 8)
Looks like I'll be heading to planet Gnod soon then.
Thanks for the guidance.
Heavy Tourism
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

I have a link for all my White Hills stuff available for anyone who'se interested too. PM for details.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

No Game To Play remastered and getting the vinyl treatment with bonus tracks: http://whitehillsmusic.tumblr.com/
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Looking forward to this, White Hills pretty much getting all the unobtainable back catalogue available, this is a good thing, enjoyed all the releases so far, and hope to see them in March next yr, either at Cosmosis or if they drop by Glasgow on the same trip,