LAGWAFIS Perfect 10 from Pitchfork

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

LAGWAFIS Perfect 10 from Pitchfork

Post by toomilk »

toomilk
Known user

Re: LAGWAFIS Perfect 10 from Pitchfork

Post by toomilk »

It's probably just me, but I really am excited about this review. I agree with everything they say about the album and Pitchfork is a site - in recent years - I have pretty much agreed with on a large majority of their reviews. They used to be a huge, pretentious website in the early 2000s, but have matured into a more serious place for music reviews. It's sad that their bad rep from yesteryears still carries on...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was excited to see the 10.0 rating this morning, too. Very cool.

As far as Pitchfork's bad rep goes, I think that to a certain degree it is still deserved. Some of the bands that they champion are simply awful (Wavves). They're certainly aware of their collective status as indie rock's premier tastemaker. They also have a tendency to make a mockery of their own unnecessary-decimal-point rating system (Midlake's new album received an undeserved and insulting 3.9 this year. Pantha Du Prince's new album, which I like quite a bit, got an 8.3 while the debut by Local Natives received an 8.4. How can you possibly argue that one album is 0.1 "points" better?). I still read the site on a daily basis, but it's hard not to laugh at some of its ridiculous characteristics from time to time.
danesmoor
Known user

Post by danesmoor »

"One cop lives to kill another cop" -

Erm.... isn't it 'cop' as in 'get your mitts on' rather than 'policeman' and 'shoot' as in 'inject' rather than 'hit with bullet'?
tarzan_undies
Known user

Post by tarzan_undies »

danesmoor wrote:"One cop lives to kill another cop" -

Erm.... isn't it 'cop' as in 'get your mitts on' rather than 'policeman' and 'shoot' as in 'inject' rather than 'hit with bullet'?
To qoute from a track off Dion's 'Born to be with you' lp 'i'm still as crazy as a loon even though I don't go out and cop a spoon' makes the use of the word 'cop' clearer in this context
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

tarzan_undies wrote:

To qoute from a track off Dion's 'Born to be with you' lp 'i'm still as crazy as a loon even though I don't go out and cop a spoon' makes the use of the word 'cop' clearer in this context
To be fair; the review does go on to say something about "junkies".
My interpretation is that it's a repetitious phrase, cyclic.
It's also an astute play on words.
The entire song is saying it doesn't matter what spritual, legal, enforcement or family/lovers sais...brown wins.

B,
S.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

weird, for what it's worth my young naive self gave the title of the song that interpretation, before I found out the other meaning. I always thought it compared the bitter breakdown of a relationship to 'friendly fire' (i.e. two people hurting each other who are on the same side), so just as a cop shoots his buddy in the back so do we when we snipe at each other when a relationship breaks down. (see also the line in hallelujah' "the only thing I ever learnt from love/was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya")
The Kwisatz Haderach
Known user

Post by The Kwisatz Haderach »

angelsighs wrote:

weird, for what it's worth my young naive self gave the title of the song that interpretation, before I found out the other meaning. I always thought it compared the bitter breakdown of a relationship to 'friendly fire' (i.e. two people hurting each other who are on the same side), so just as a cop shoots his buddy in the back so do we when we snipe at each other when a relationship breaks down. (see also the line in hallelujah' "the only thing I ever learnt from love/was how to shoot somebody who outdrew ya")
ill have to own up to this too youthful and naive interpretation also. i think years passed before i got the real meaning
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just a little aside....I read stuff on Pitchfork quite a bit after reading about it on this forum some years back and I always wondered where it stood in the US media market place; is it more like our Uncut or is it nearer to the NME, or neither of these? And does it come in magazing form too or is it solely website based?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ro
Known user

Post by ro »

my young naive self was sure that Simon & Garfunkel were singing:

Asking only workman's wages
I come looking for a job
But I get no offers,
Just a come-on from the HORSE on Seventh Avenue
I do declare, there were times when I was so lonesome
I took some comfort there

(which of course has its own various connotations)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've never trusted that slutty horse on seventh avenue. Bloody prick-tease if you ask me. :lol:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Ads wrote:I've never trusted that slutty horse on seventh avenue. Bloody prick-tease if you ask me. :lol:
A big Clydesdale with a blonde mane and a smack habit
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Pitchfork doesn't come in magazine form, it's just the website.

they have some pretty cool shows on pitchfork.tv , the show daytripping is pretty cool.

pitchfork can be lame sometimes, and sometimes pretty cool. i almost laughed myself to death when they gave my old bands album a 7.0
considering what they give some albums, i think thats pretty amazing as the album is shit...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Your old band being.....?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

a band called Human Host
in the review when they talk about the fat dude getting naked, i was the one who threw his stuff into the rafters, he then proceeded to throw me on the ground and tried to steal my shoes, but he is a good friend so he forgave me for throwing hiw stuff. the funny thing is that the place we were playing "wham city"(which is getting all sorts of shit hype over here, i personally think that whole crew minus like 2 bands sucks very hard)
well anyway, i threw his shit and it landed on the sprinkler head, and the building is an old warehouse, so there was all this fear that getting his pants would flood the place. i still kinda thought it was funny

http://www.scottrussellphotography.net/ ... G_7219.jpg

actually it's kinda scary when i look at that picture
also another funny one, a print of that pic up there was in a venue in baltimore and someone stole it. i cant help but think some guy is sitting at home alone right now and looking at that and _________ (i think you can fill in the rest)
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

marcvolta wrote:a band called Human Host
in the review when they talk about the fat dude getting naked, i was the one who threw his stuff into the rafters, he then proceeded to throw me on the ground and tried to steal my shoes, but he is a good friend so he forgave me for throwing hiw stuff. the funny thing is that the place we were playing "wham city"(which is getting all sorts of shit hype over here, i personally think that whole crew minus like 2 bands sucks very hard)
well anyway, i threw his shit and it landed on the sprinkler head, and the building is an old warehouse, so there was all this fear that getting his pants would flood the place. i still kinda thought it was funny

http://www.scottrussellphotography.net/ ... G_7219.jpg

actually it's kinda scary when i look at that picture
also another funny one, a print of that pic up there was in a venue in baltimore and someone stole it. i cant help but think some guy is sitting at home alone right now and looking at that and _________ (i think you can fill in the rest)
Haha! Now that is funny......but scary looking from the floor up I guess. I like the girl at the back grinning and holding a drumstick (or is it a magic wand?). Great pic!
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Shes actually the keyboard player in the band,
none of my fellow bandmates helped me (fuckers)...and of course it's a magic wand.

when i was in the band, we would play half of the set as a sorta garage/synth rock band, then do some improv- droning and stuff then the second half of the set we had prerecorded stuff that we sang over, sounds lame but it was fun messing with people, like picking one person in the crowd and standing next to them while singing and following them when they try and move, and sitting next to them.......Baltimore is a weird place, with lots of weird people..

i just can't help but think some of P-fork's reviewers have their heads planted firmly up their asses when Amazing Grace gets a 6.2....i know it's not everyones favorite album (i personally love it) but it's still way better than a lot of the shite they give 8's and 9's
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

marcvolta wrote: the funny thing is that the place we were playing "wham city"(which is getting all sorts of shit hype over here, i personally think that whole crew minus like 2 bands sucks very hard)
Not a Dan Deacon fan then?
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I continuously find it dumbfounding that LAGWAFIS is considered the Spiritualized album of Spiritualized albums... it's very well-written, but imho the arrangements drain the rock tunes of grit and I'm not particularly a fan of the free-jazz dischordant material either. As opposed to some of the excellent demo material released on the box, the album production is chilly and a bit sterile as well, which I wouldn't say about any other Spiritualized album since production/arrangement is one of J's greatest strengths.

I'm glad to have it and it's an important element of my collection, but I'd say LAGWAFIS is my least favorite Spiritualized album and certainly miles behind LGM. If LGM got a 10.0, I'd give LAGWAFIS an 8.2 .
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Dan Deacon is a nice guy. im just not really into his music or most of that "scene", but he's cool. i just think its funny that he is seen as Baltimore incarnate, yet he is not from here.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

spam????

Don't click on the links!

MOD edit NightWash: Thanks for reporting - topics deleted and user banned!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I noticed that the Pitchfork review of L&G is listed as the #1 most read item. Hopefully, that will result in more Spiritualized fans and more album sales.