Silent Sound broadcast this Sunday

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spazed99
Known user

Silent Sound broadcast this Sunday

Post by spazed99 »

The Silent Sound installation that J Spaceman is providing a soundtrack to can be heard live on Resonance FM this Sunday March 7th at 6.30-7.30pm.

http://resonancefm.com/listen or 104.4FM.

Schedule info: http://bit.ly/cVHTP7
bunnyben
Known user

Re: Silent Sound broadcast this Sunday

Post by bunnyben »

i'm travelling 5 hours on the train tomorrow am for it!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Enjoy, ben

A report of the event would be nice too.

B,
S.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

bunnyben wrote:i'm travelling 5 hours on the train tomorrow am for it!
Now, thats what you call a dedicated fan. Enjoy Ben, and let us know how it goes.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

Anyone care to record and upload it? Circumstances mean I'll be away from a computer at the time of broadcast.
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Great. 10:30 AM
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

sunny
Site Admin

Post by sunny »

Right then, off on road trip to Middlesbrough! :D :D :D :D :D
'Come and rock and roll me over, Let's get this damn job over.'
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

I enjoyed it. It was a relaxing version of Silent Sound 1. I fell asleep in the middle and wasn't contacted by any spirits unfortunately. Did anyone have that ghost talk to them while they were listening to it?
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

Turned on at 7.15 and they'd lost connection with the AV festival so I assumed it was not on or had been cut short.

Did anyone record it?
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

hello

the boring bit first- i left my flat at 7am and arrived at my hotel at 2.30pm! the train from Darlington to Middlesborough resembled a bus (in looks and cleanliness) that had been thrown onto the rails.

when i entered the show i was given a beautiful cardboard book as an intro to the show and also a little silver badge. on the packaging of the badge was a seat number. it was designed so that all people would be isolated from any external distractions. never before have i seen so many adults moaning about having to sit alone for under an hour, some even refused to play along. i mean comon! anyway the room was specially conditioned for the show. the stage had a smoke machine, the heating was turned off. the stage was a low bit for the orchestra and then behind them was the 'diaode' that would transmit the infra-sound and behind that another part of the ‘diode’ which was like a small recording box with two seats and a mic in the middle. i looked around when i got there and saw mr s in a red Apollo 11 t-shirt adjusting sound levels (the show had been delayed opening its doors for 20 freezing minutes due to a technical fault i guess with the sound, not the doors themselves.) after that he disappeared. The room had a stage light other than that everyone was sat in silence. I thought that in itself would make an interesting experiment.

a dr in the paranormal then came on stage and stood on the far corner and introduced the show in it's historical context and what to expect (the hall was supposedly haunted by a ghost named oliver) and introduced one by one the shows protagonists onto the stage.

a recording was turned on of the hall the night before- recorded to try to catch any sounds of hauntings. Then the infra sound was turned on (sound at a frequency that we cannot perceive with our ears yet can feel. There was a girl there with special needs- under the 18 age but was let in at the parents discretion. She had to be taken out as the infra sound seemed to upset her). Then lain and Jane entered the diode and sat facing each other and the mic was between them

the orchestra started to play the silent sound music (I was slightly disappointed that it was the same, if slightly different but also elated that it was the same as I adore the music) and at some points the sound was transferred around the hall. There were no speakers for the orchestra so how they transferred the sound I am not sure. After too brief a time the music ended, just as I was becoming lost in the smoke curling and dancing in the spotlight. Them there was silence and then we were debriefed as to what we had experienced then asked to sit in silent contemplation until the house lights came on. When they did most people left or returned to their groups. I sat there lost in thought as I could still hear the music in my mind and the smoke was still dancing. After 20 minutes or so I got up and went to the dr to ask why the show hadn’t been longer as I believe that if it had been three times in length I would have been gone, lost to my surroundings, floating on the smoke that danced around the silhouette of the conductor. But he was busy chatting up/being chatted up by a lady who was flashing him the puppy eyes so I left, slightly disappointed not to have been able to speak to him.

What an experience. I loved every second of it and if it is what the world beyond is like then amen to Plato ‘the soul longs to return to the world of ideas on the wings of love’ amen.

Ps. As we were leaving we were all presented with a copy of the show that had been recorded whilst we were in the room listening. I managed to wrangle two copies (not by any great merit I just looked lost until a bored steward said you want your cd?) one to send to my friend and one which fitted neatly into the specially designed booklet we were given as we entered. The book, the silent sound pin and the cd were such beautiful gestures. Art for beauty not for profit. And the show cost £8, a tenth of the cost of my rail ticket (including my discount card!). such beauty, such love. Silent sound.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

that sounds amazing!!!!!

if anyone that went has an extra pin or booklet from the show and wants to sell them to a nice fella in america, please let me know!!!

thanks you for describing the show in detail. im sad i couldn't experience that. but flying over to the UK was out of the question... :(

all the best.......
MArc.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Listened to it online last night, very soothing. Having never heard the first Silent Sound i was surprised at how musical it was, and also how short.
Must admit, i preferred the introduction beforehand though, listening to the back story was very relaxing with my headphones on.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
dselevan2
Known user

Post by dselevan2 »

Did Oliver come out or was it a bust?
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Ben, loved your review. Well done.

B,
S.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

Any chance of ripping and uploading the CD..........please.... ?
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

charles w wrote:Any chance of ripping and uploading the CD..........please.... ?
of course. i'll try and do it before work today, if not tomorrow :D
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Aww, for some reason I find the ripping and uploading of the cd a bit sad (in a mounrful way).

It's part of Ben' journey to and from the show and seems a bit frivilant to be using it in such a way.

Anyway, it's clearly Ben' choice and I'm just spraffing aloud. Poor little CD.

B,
S.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Will it be possible to buy the recorded live cd?
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

There is a clip up on the Silent Sound website at the moment: http://www.avfestival.co.uk/programme/1 ... lent-sound

I know we are pretty spoilt here in London but I would really like to see a performance of this, must be a suitable venue somewhere around here.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

bunnyben wrote:
charles w wrote:Any chance of ripping and uploading the CD..........please.... ?
sorry for the delay- i have the day off tomorrow, i'll do it then, sorry again
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

bunnyben wrote:
bunnyben wrote:
sorry for the delay- i have the day off tomorrow, i'll do it then, sorry again
Hey no worries. It's you who is doing a favour for me and others. Take your time........pun intended !
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Here is the link for your file, which will be available for 7 Days or 100 downloads.

https://www.yousendit.com/download/THE0 ... NE4zZUE9PQ
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Ta Ben. Now insanely gutted about not being able to go. Hopefully in 4 years time the next one will be in London :D

Edit: It's a lot faster than the first one, isn't it? Seems more jerky too. The middle section sounds a bit rushed.

I wonder how much J. is actually into this paranormal stuff, or if he just wanted the chance to write a longer orchestral piece in the post-hospital period.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Thanks soo much for ripping the cd!! i cant wait to buy one when they release it

what exactly is "maybe transmigration of the soul"?

was that played at the show??
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

marcvolta wrote:Thanks soo much for ripping the cd!! i cant wait to buy one when they release it

what exactly is "maybe transmigration of the soul"?

was that played at the show??
'maybe...' i think is the john adams piece 'on the transmigration of the soul' - my original copy is now at my parents' so i can't confirm. thought i'd add it anyway as it may be of interest (ps i bough the orignial cd 'on...' and it only contains one track at 25 mins (aprox) which although it is good felt like a bit of a rip off so enjoy :D 8) :wink: )
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

marcvolta wrote:Thanks soo much for ripping the cd!! i cant wait to buy one when they release it
Is there going to be a CD release through the website? I originally thought that there was, but looking at the wording on the prescriptions page, it says:
The event will be recorded live and a limited edition CD will be available.

That might just refer to the CD available at the event. Can anyone clarify?
sm-iom
Known user

Post by sm-iom »

bunnyben wrote:Here is the link for your file, which will be available for 7 Days or 100 downloads.

Many thanks!!! :-)

sm-iom
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Can any technical person tell me how to change a .rar file into MP3, FLAC or similar?
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

a .rar is a format like .zip you need to unpack it with winrar (windows) or unrar (OSX).
Then the file will be unpacked and you can play with it.

Mark
Design.
charles w
Known user

Post by charles w »

bunnyben wrote:Here is the link for your file, which will be available for 7 Days or 100 downloads.

Many, many thanks for doing this. Karma will be your reward.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Ok, so, i emailed the silent sound website asking about the cd, and they replied and said it will be available in about a week from the silent sound website. http://www.silentsound.info/

so , yay, another cd. im pretty happy as the first cd is pretty awesome looking. hopefully the artwork for this one is just as nice, if not nicer!?!?!?!?!?!

i just wish i got get my hands on one of the programs they were handing out with the info and stuff in it!
Temet Nosce
New user

Post by Temet Nosce »

The CD can now be ordered from their website, first 50 orders also get the badge issued on the night, :D
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I ordered mine here
www.iainandjane.bigcartel.com

:)
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
laid back in the sun
Known user

Post by laid back in the sun »

sweet! just ordered mine... doubt i'll be in the first fifty though but fingers crossed! :D
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Damn paypal. I no longer have a valid account so can't make the purchase. Would anyone be willing to buy this for me and I'll forward the cost to you via cheque (hopefully) along 18 songs spread across 3 comps.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
laid back in the sun
Known user

well all that finger crossing worked! just got an email saying the booklets are being signed this week and should be sent out at the end of next week... and i was in the first fifty :D
laid back in the sun
Known user

Shaun wrote:Damn paypal. I no longer have a valid account so can't make the purchase. Would anyone be willing to buy this for me and I'll forward the cost to you via cheque (hopefully) along 18 songs spread across 3 comps.
this is from their website...
We're in the UK, so everything is priced in sterling (British pounds). We accept online payments securely via PayPal. You don't need to be a member or register with them to use this shop, we'll just use PayPal to process your credit card payment.

hope that helps
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

laid back in the sun wrote:well all that finger crossing worked! just got an email saying the booklets are being signed this week and should be sent out at the end of next week... and i was in the first fifty :D
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

laid back in the sun wrote: this is from their website...
We're in the UK, so everything is priced in sterling (British pounds). We accept online payments securely via PayPal. You don't need to be a member or register with them to use this shop, we'll just use PayPal to process your credit card payment.

hope that helps
I've got a resticted paypal account so I'm unable to access it and edit any details. I tried to use that method you mentioned but as I've only got a debit card, which is tied in with the paypal account, I was unable to use that card.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Shaun, did you manage to get someone to get this for you? Only just seen your post so let me know if you still need assistance.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Shaun, did you manage to get someone to get this for you? Only just seen your post so let me know if you still need assistance.
Hey Adam, I've not managed to get this CD yet and any assistance would be hugely appreciated. Thank you.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hi Shaun, have just ordered this for you. Check your PM's.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Hi Shaun, have just ordered this for you. Check your PM's.
Adam, Thank you so much. I really appreciate your kindness.
laid back in the sun
Known user

anyone received this cd yet??
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

No, still waiting for the one I ordered Shaun.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Has anyone received anything or heard about delivery yet?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
laid back in the sun
Known user

nothing here either :?
laid back in the sun
Known user

has anyone received or heard anything more about this??? i've even emailed them and had no response and im getting pretty impatient! :evil:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Not a dickie bird. And I feel doubly bad as I ordered this for Shaun as a favour. :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:Not a dickie bird. And I feel doubly bad as I ordered this for Shaun as a favour. :?
I've got some new MV & EE arriving tomorrow so I don't mind Ads.
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

"had no response" what you are hearing there my friend is the sound of silence. Geddit. When I ordered the first CD these guys took there time, had some unannounced delays, but came through with quality product so I wouldn't worry. I don';t know them and have nothing to do with the release for what it's worth.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Shaun wrote:I've got some new MV & EE arriving tomorrow so I don't mind Ads.
New MV & EE? Do you mean Barn Nova or have they got something newer out?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Ads wrote:
There seems to be a ridiculous amount of MV & EE stuff over at Volcanic Tongue
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Guessed wrote:
Ads wrote:
There seems to be a ridiculous amount of MV & EE stuff over at Volcanic Tongue
I know Stuart, that where I got the new stuff from. They are really friendly and efficent, phoned on Monday and had the CD's on Wednesday. I have recieved stuff off them the next day before now. I'll be visiting them in about 4 weeks time and I know the way across Kelvin Park now. And Mono too.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Shaun wrote:
I know Stuart, that where I got the new stuff from. They are really friendly and efficent, phoned on Monday and had the CD's on Wednesday. I have recieved stuff off them the next day before now. I'll be visiting them in about 4 weeks time and I know the way across Kelvin Park now. And Mono too.
Are you, is this before the start of June? I'm off to "Beefa" for a while.
They seem to have went on a bit of a splurge for stock recently; as have Mono I hasten to add.

B,
S.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Guessed wrote:

B,
S.
Stuart, not before the start of June but the first week of June.
Temet Nosce
New user

Post by Temet Nosce »

Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Shaun wrote:
Guessed wrote:

B,
S.
Stuart, not before the start of June but the first week of June.
I'll pick this up as a response on FB. As a quick heads up and if you haven't already got fixed plans why don't you check out the following link for bits n bobs of "outsider" music that's happening up here.
http://www.updatescotland.com/ You can either sign up for there listing via email or add them to your FB page.
I've posted in another thread that I'm going to see Jacob Kirkergaard this Thursday in Edinburgh, wouldn't have known if it wasn't for update.
I'm leaving for Ibiza on the 3rd but I hope you source some nice things from VT & Mono. Out of interest have you got a hold of the new Yellow Swans yet?

B,
S.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Ads wrote:
Something newer Ads, released on a very small run of only 99 copies. Plus a gig from Coventry which was a few days either side of you seeing them.
Guessed wrote: Out of interest have you got a hold of the new Yellow Swans yet?

B,
S.
The last Yellow Swans release I got was called At All Ends so I'm sure to have missed some since that.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Shaun,

you must get Going Places, MUST!

B,
S
laid back in the sun
Known user

got an email today saying theres been a delay in getting jason to sign them but they should be sent out in the next week or so :)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silent-Sound-Midd ... 563c040147
wonder how many copies this fleecing fucker has ordered? :roll:
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Guessed wrote:Shaun,

you must get Going Places, MUST!

B,
S
I will but can't find a copy. Didn't realise it was their last ever release. Quite lucky to have seen them.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Got this today for those who were still wondering what the wait is all about:-

Hello,

We're very sorry about the unexpected delays to shipping the Silent Sound CD(s) you have ordered. Unfortunately it's proving more tricky than we had hoped to co-ordinate everyone's schedules to get them signed. We are hoping to remedy that this week and to let everyone know exactly when we will be able to ship them, but in the meantime we would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you very much for your patience. We can assure you everyone is doing their best to organise for this to happen as soon as realistically possible so that CDs can be sent out to those who have ordered them.

Of course if you are unhappy with the extended waiting time and of course if you would prefer not to wait any longer then please do let us know and we'll arrange a refund right away.

Thank you again for your understanding,
Iain & Jane
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Did anybody get their cd yet ? I never received an email from them stating a ' delay ' and only read about it here in this forum. I emailed them and they stated that they will be shipping next week and that was like two weeks ago ! :oops:
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

Has anyone received their cd?