bbc in concert 763 cd

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

laid back in the sun
Known user

bbc in concert 763 cd

Post by laid back in the sun »

managed to pick this up the other day, does anyone know where this was recorded, was it at an event/gig or a special show for the bbc? track listing is as follows if its of any help..
Oh Happy Day, Shine A Light, Electric Mainline, Electricity, Ladies and Gentlemen, We Are Floating In Space, Lord Can you Hear Me?, Come Together, Think I'm In Love, Oh, Happy Day.
hey man theres a hole in my nose where all the money goes
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Re: bbc in concert 763 cd

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Sounds like the Meltdown 1999 gig, except the copy i have doesn't have Shine A Light....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I thought it might be Meltdown too (98 wasnt it not 99?) but that gig had Cop Shoot Cop played too.
Apart from that though the setlist is correct.

The first two tracks weren't broadcast by Peel (the usual source for this) so if it is meltdown I'd love to get my hands on this full version as it's one of my favourite bootlegs!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I've got this as well and I'm 99% sure it was from that RFH Meltdown performance. The BBC CD has track breaks for inserting idents etc so maybe they just edited out Cop Shoot Cop...not the most radio-firendly of Spz songs, let's face it!
laid back in the sun
Known user

well that all makes sense, the disc has 1999 on it and the running time is 52mins 30secs so that would allow time for adverts and suchlike and still keep it under an hour and make it more suitable for radio scheduling. i just checked and its not on gottafires site for bootlegs, maybe due to bbc copyrights (infact the guy who was selling it had a load of bbc in concert discs and vinyl listings removed from ebay the other day for this very reason i think!) i'll see if i can burn a copy and if anyones prepared to upload it somewhere (im not very technical when it comes to that kind of thing!) i'll send it to them and they can share it with anyone who wants it that way
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Does this happen to be the same gig? http://shoegazeralive4.blogspot.com/201 ... royal.html

Seems to be have been just recently circulated.
laid back in the sun
Known user

toomilk wrote:Does this happen to be the same gig? http://shoegazeralive4.blogspot.com/201 ... royal.html

Seems to be have been just recently circulated.
could be it, checked again and it is on gottafires site although the version on there seems to be missing oh happy day and shine a light at the start and has home of the brave, the individual, cop shoot cop and an instrumental jam with sonic youth which are missing from the bbc disc, both together should make up the full gig i suppose
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

here's the info from the text file contained in that RAR download:

"Spiritualized - Meltdown Festival 7/01/98 Royal Albert Hall (Soundboard)
Excellent show. Excellent sound.

Electric Mainline
Electricity
Home Of The Brave
The Individual
Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
Lord Can You Hear Me
Come Together
I Think I'm In Love
Cop Shoot Cop
Oh Happy Day
Jam (w/Members of Sonic Youth)"

it's 127.7 MB.
the one i had already looks like this:

01-Electric Mainline.mp3
02-Electricity.mp3
03-Home Of The Brave.mp3
04-Ladies And Gentlemen.mp3
05-Lord Can You Hear Me.mp3
06-Come Together.mp3
07-I Think I'm In Love.mp3
08-Cop Shoot Cop.mp3
09-Oh Happy Day.mp3

that one's 53 MB.

on the newer/larger one, the tracks 07 Come Together_ and 06 Lord Can You Hear Me are flopped - the audio contained in each of these is really the other song. so 06 runs 5:02 and 07 runs 7:29.

FYI... :)
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

and you can zip or make a rar and upload to multiupload.com which will make it available on several download sites for everyone to choose.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

laid back in the sun wrote:well that all makes sense, the disc has 1999 on it and the running time is 52mins 30secs so that would allow time for adverts and suchlike and still keep it under an hour and make it more suitable for radio scheduling. i just checked and its not on gottafires site for bootlegs, maybe due to bbc copyrights (infact the guy who was selling it had a load of bbc in concert discs and vinyl listings removed from ebay the other day for this very reason i think!) i'll see if i can burn a copy and if anyones prepared to upload it somewhere (im not very technical when it comes to that kind of thing!) i'll send it to them and they can share it with anyone who wants it that way
I'd love to get my hands on the tracks missing from my copy!! it's not that hard to upload, honestly, even I can do it.

If no one else has volunteered I'll happily be in reciept of a CD copy and upload it if you are really stuck!
laid back in the sun
Known user

right first ever attempt at uploading so let me know if this works and i'll upload the rest of the tracks if anyone wants them

oh happy day
http://rapidshare.com/files/368936744/0 ... 1.wav.html
shine a light
http://rapidshare.com/files/368949249/0 ... 2.wav.html
electric mainline
http://rapidshare.com/files/369151664/0 ... 3.wav.html
electricity
http://rapidshare.com/files/369165244/0 ... 4.wav.html
lagwafis
http://rapidshare.com/files/369177899/0 ... 5.wav.html
lord can you hear me?
http://rapidshare.com/files/369191861/0 ... 6.wav.html
come together
http://rapidshare.com/files/369347986/0 ... 7.wav.html
think im in love
http://rapidshare.com/files/369536458/0 ... 8.wav.html
oh happy day 2
http://rapidshare.com/files/369544196/0 ... 9.wav.html

sorry for taking so long with these but my laptop died every time i uploaded a track :evil: so i hope someone manages to get all those before the download links go dead and can upload the full set somewhere for anyone who wants it
Last edited by laid back in the sun on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

laid back in the sun wrote:right first ever attempt at uploading so let me know if this works and i'll upload the rest of the tracks if anyone wants them

oh happy day
http://rapidshare.com/files/368936744/0 ... 1.wav.html
shine a light
http://rapidshare.com/files/368949249/0 ... 2.wav.html
thanks a lot! really appreciated
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

A massive thank you. And yes - please keep the tracks coming! Very much appreciated! JB
laid back in the sun
Known user

finally finished! :P
laid back in the sun
Known user

Greeny wrote:I've got this as well and I'm 99% sure it was from that RFH Meltdown performance. The BBC CD has track breaks for inserting idents etc so maybe they just edited out Cop Shoot Cop...not the most radio-firendly of Spz songs, let's face it!
was just looking on sims site and noticed that your version of this cd is different to mine, cover and track listing insert are identical but the cds themselves look completely different with yours being an earlier version than mine as far as i can tell. wonder how many versions there are and what sort of quantities these were released in??
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Again - can't thank you enough for doing this. Can't wait to burn this to a disc, open a beer and give it a blast!

:D
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Thanks again for those two extra tracks missing from my bootleg of this, really appreciate it as this Meltdown performance is one of my favourite ever Spz gigs, I listen to it loads. The band had been touring ladies and gents for ages and they just sound in the zone, it's out of this world.

From what I can tell the boot that most people have is the tracks broadcast by John Peel fully live from the gig (you can tell this from his intro into Electric Mainline).

This other CD you have sounds like a semi-official copy from the BBC archives or something. You can also tell the difference in the mastering- the Peel broadcast has a huge, fat sound (probably from the usual radio compression) but the other tracks have a slightly 'smaller', cleaner sound.

anyway, thanks again. The Oh Happy Day/Shine A Light from this gig has always been something of a holy grail for me. Next we need a full soundboard of Glastonbury 98!!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

laid back in the sun wrote:
Greeny wrote:I've got this as well and I'm 99% sure it was from that RFH Meltdown performance. The BBC CD has track breaks for inserting idents etc so maybe they just edited out Cop Shoot Cop...not the most radio-firendly of Spz songs, let's face it!
was just looking on sims site and noticed that your version of this cd is different to mine, cover and track listing insert are identical but the cds themselves look completely different with yours being an earlier version than mine as far as i can tell. wonder how many versions there are and what sort of quantities these were released in??
No idea - and I can't even remember when I got mine, although it must have been off eBay. Maybe it was so popualr the BBC had to do a repress?? We can live in hope that it's still getting airplay at Burkina Faso FM....
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

angelsighs wrote: From what I can tell the boot that most people have is the tracks broadcast by John Peel fully live from the gig (you can tell this from his intro into Electric Mainline).

This other CD you have sounds like a semi-official copy from the BBC archives or something. You can also tell the difference in the mastering- the Peel broadcast has a huge, fat sound (probably from the usual radio compression) but the other tracks have a slightly 'smaller', cleaner sound.
Hey, strangely enough I think I know why... I'm 99% certain the first time the Meltdown show was played, it included the Oh Happy Day>Shine A Light sequence. But on the repeat, where the initial bootlegs etc were taken, it only started at Electric Mainline.

I know at one point I transferred those two songs from cassette to PC, losing a lot of quality as I did not have access to much in the way of mastering facilities. I then made up a disc with them plus the great sounding tracks from 'Electric Mainline' onward - I got this as a download somewhere. Fired on the Sonic Youth track at the end...that was a download too, lesser quality.

I definitly sent the 'entire' show one out to several back whenever, so I'm wondering if the older bootleg was this? I could be wrong, but I definitely got those missing tracks from a cassette as the only available version of this show started at 'Electric...'and yes, the sound was way thinner...

(Extract from the forthcoming 'My Bootleg Life')
angelsighs wrote: The band had been touring ladies and gents for ages and they just sound in the zone, it's out of this world.
Do you know I remember reading on these very pages, someone here met J and raved about the show, apparently he couldn't believe it as he'd remembered the sound being terrible that night... 'Lord Can You Hear Me' maybe sounds a bit strained(?) but the take on 'I Think I'm In Love' more than makes up for it.
O P 8
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Thank you - this does sound an upgrade to the previously circulating versions. I remember staying up to record the original broadcast off Radio 1. This is still my favourite Spiritualized live recording.

Was anyone planning on downloading all the wavs from the 'bbc in concert 763' cd, and then converting to a mp3 version? If so, can they make it available here?
musicheals
Known user

Post by musicheals »

I have the complete version of this show spliced together using 2 different sources, but Cop Shoot Cop... is cut short by the dj...

Spiritualized® -
Meltdown Festival, Royal Festival Hall, London
Radio Broadcasts

Edited from two different radio broadcasts. 1 from a Peel session courtesy of Tufty and 1 from bbc6live

Tracklisting:

01 Oh Happy Day
02 Shine A Light
03 Electric Mainline
04 Electricity
05 Home Of The Brave>The Individual
06 Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
07 Lord Can You Hear Me?
08 Come Together
09 I Think I'm In Love
10 Cop Shoot Cop

Track 10 is cut before the outro kicks in so have placed the fade out here as what follows is unrelated to this show.
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Can someone re up the tracks or post the show in it's entirety for download.
The rapidshare tracks of Oh Happy Day and Shine a Light have expired.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Hey, strangely enough I think I know why... I'm 99% certain the first time the Meltdown show was played, it included the Oh Happy Day>Shine A Light sequence. But on the repeat, where the initial bootlegs etc were taken, it only started at Electric Mainline.
The Peel broadcast (ie Electric Mainline onwards) was definitely fully live (he mentions this himself at the end), its the full gig that must have been played on repeats.
BzaInSpace wrote: Do you know I remember reading on these very pages, someone here met J and raved about the show, apparently he couldn't believe it as he'd remembered the sound being terrible that night... 'Lord Can You Hear Me' maybe sounds a bit strained(?) but the take on 'I Think I'm In Love' more than makes up for it.
wow that's amazing, just goes to show the band up on stage can often hear a very different show to the punters down in the crowd (or me sitting at home!). I will agree that the version of Lord Can You Hear Me is the only weak link- it's rambling, messy, with lots of pointless guitar noodling, and none of the awesome dynamics and build-up that the later LICD version had.

The 'I Think I'm In Love' is awesome, the ambient drone intro is like being sucked into a vortex (love that person in the audience screaming their head off!) and it's a totally different, more spacey arrangement than the usual one, without the drums kicking in halfway through etc.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

good dope/good fun wrote:Can someone re up the tracks or post the show in it's entirety for download.
The rapidshare tracks of Oh Happy Day and Shine a Light have expired.
Here's a re-up of '01 Oh Happy Day'
http://www.multiupload.com/UD61FF7UGS

But I failed to download track 02 before it expired. Anyone? Pretty please?
laid back in the sun
Known user

JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

Much thanks.
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

Thanks. I downloaded all the 'bbc in concert 763' tracks. In case the rapidshare links go down, here's all nine tracks, zipped up. I've converted them from wav to flac, so you only have to download 334mb total. (There's no loss in quality from wav to flac)

http://www.multiupload.com/GHDY2K4PUR

Edit: And here's a mp3 192kb vbr version for you mp3-heads (75mb):

http://www.multiupload.com/SRBGDNL39G
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Cheers for everyone's efforts with this. Quick question though, as an I-Tunes user am I best off downloading the Flacs or MP3's?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Ads,

If you want the best compression then DL the Flac's and then convert them to a bit rate
you like. I personally convert mine to 256 AAC, that is just my preference.

Best,

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Does anyone have the FLACs or MP3s of Cop Shoot Cop and the encore with Sonic Youth? I have this gig on tape but the sound quality is pretty bad.
Any help in completing the full gig would be much appreciated. Cheers....
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

hi all,
first of all, been a long time reader of this forum, this my first post. Must say thnx for getting introduced to a lot of great music through this forum! And thnx for the flacs of the bbc cd!
anyways, is there any chance of someone posting scans of the cd covers and/or the disc? I'm on of those eejits who prints the labels and all :lol:
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"