Record Store Day - April 17th

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

Record Store Day - April 17th

Post by Shinesalight »

I'm sure most of you know about this already but its the 3rd annual Record Store Day on Saturday 17th April. This is the day where loads of independent stores unite to celebrate their unique culture while offering various exclusive releases.

Heres the list of goodies available for those of us here in the UK (with a handy cooperating store finder):-

http://www.indierecordshop.org/?p=316

And here's the main page of the American site:-

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Quite a few bits on the lists which should be of interest to folks on here including limited editions by The Flaming Lips, Wooden Shjips, Rocky Erikson and a Mogwai/Fuck Buttons double amongst others.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Record Store Day - April 17th

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm not having any luck finding a list of what's going to be released in the US for this. Is it somewhere on the website?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Paul, right in the opening paragraph on the home page is a highlighted bit where you can click for a PDF listing or go to a webpage which brings this up:-

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Page/836
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Pretty sure that Mogwai / Fuck Buttons split single was a tour thingy they did last year, i certainly downloaded it last year.

Hoping that the Wooden Shjips single will be available at their Dublin gig which is 2 days before Record Store Day.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

I'd get something for a UK-er from the US list if someone can find me one of these:

Nick Cave “The Mercy Seat” White vinyl in goil foil stamped sleeve inc unreleased live tracks
(Mute / EMI 100 only)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I would but it's 1 per person at my local store and I'll be ordering it there, even then they arn't sure if it will ever arrive.

The JAMC ones on order too
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Good to see The Lips version of Darkside Of The Moon getting a release.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

hot damn, i think i would kill for a copy of that Nick Cave 12".... you guys are lucky
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

This is tomorrow!!!!!

Go support your local shop!!!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was lucky enough to get a few things today as I cant get near my local record shop tomorrow due to road construction.
I picked up:
Rolling Stones 7" Plundered My Soul
Raconteurs 1st Lp reissue on 180 gram vinyl and gold embossed sleeve.
MGMT 12 etched on one side

There were no F Lips or Nick Cave at all. This stuff is so limited it almost defeats the purpose.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I am setting off to queue up at my store now. I will be waiting 4 hours in the morning sunshine til opening to ensure a copy of the new Blur track. Then off to see City beat United. oooochy wooochy.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Fuck me James....and there was me thinking I was getting up early on a Saturday morning to get down to my record store?!

How come you got to buy things a day early Spzretent?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

So, got down to my usual record store (Resident) at 8.30am only to find 50 or so people already in the queue. Thought there was no chance of getting any of the limited releases so walked round to another smaller store (Ape) and there were only 4 people in the queue. Tried to get hold of the Blur single as knew the Warmth was desperate for one but they only had one on sale and each of the four people in front of me wanted it. They didn't have the Wooden Shjips single either which was a bit of bummer. Also, I picked up one of only 2 copies of the Flaming Lips' Dark Side of The Moon but gave it to a guy who was in front of me in the queue as he'd mentioned he was really keen on it.....my good deed of the day, but I'm already kicking myself! However did manage to pick up the following:-

Nick Cave - The Mercy Seat 12"
Mogwai/Fuck Buttons split 10"
J & MC - Just Like Honey 7"

Haven't got a record player but wanted to get involved and support the local independents. So, I'd like these to go to good home. I know a couple of people have expressed an interest in the Nick Cave 12" already on this thread so get in touch with a PM. Also, if any of you are interested in either of the other 2 records PM me. Just looking for what they cost plus P & P or even an exchange of some description (see my wish list in the Cop Zone section). Now really wish I'd picked up that Dark Side of the Moon as sure that would have been a good bartering tool in my attempts to get hold of the L&GWAFIS vinyl. Oh well.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Have PM'd you Ads. PS i missed out on the Heads brown bag too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Ads, I PM'd you on the Mogwai/F.B. 10".
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Ads wrote: How come you got to buy things a day early Spzretent?
As I have often mentioned, I used to own a record shop, and am still an avid consumer and am friends w/those still in business. One of the shop owners understood my plight as his shop is 20 miles away and on weekends they virtually close off the highway w/construction. So he hooked me up. He even gave me his invoice so I could choose what I wanted to buy. There were tons of things I could have shifted on ebay I suppose but I just bought what I wanted for myself. And the MGMT will go to a good home i'm sure. Karma I guess since I really wanted that Stones 7". Though that b side does not sound like an Exile outtake at all.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Any kind soul get an extra copy of the Fall 7"?

I watched the last one in San Diego purchased before me.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i had to work until 2 today, so i was prepared to find everything sold out. surprisingly i still managed to get sonic youth 'evol' on pink vinyl (listening to it right now). also got a moon duo split 7" put out by permanent records for rsd. i should've gone to their midnight sale last night, then i probably would've gotten everything i was after, but i had to be up at 6am today. lessons for next year i guess. it was kind of fun to do- i'd never bothered to participate.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Holy crap! All told I spent $270 in three shops today. I guess Record Shop Day works.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

my local shop has/had multiple copies of the FLIPS DSOTM - I bought one.

If someone is looking for USA records, PM me with what you're looking for.

I really want a Nick Cave 12" from the UK.

Thanks.

and that Joy Division box is fucking sick - but I don't have $250 to spare.
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

$250??? the store i went to had it for $200, thats kinda lame if they marked it up you know...
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

spzretent wrote:
Ads wrote: How come you got to buy things a day early Spzretent?
As I have often mentioned, I used to own a record shop, and am still an avid consumer and am friends w/those still in business. One of the shop owners understood my plight as his shop is 20 miles away and on weekends they virtually close off the highway w/construction. So he hooked me up. He even gave me his invoice so I could choose what I wanted to buy. There were tons of things I could have shifted on ebay I suppose but I just bought what I wanted for myself. And the MGMT will go to a good home i'm sure. Karma I guess since I really wanted that Stones 7". Though that b side does not sound like an Exile outtake at all.
You're lucky that he doesn't own Rough Trade.....

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/50695
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Ads wrote:So, got down to my usual record store (Resident) at 8.30am only to find 50 or so people already in the queue. Thought there was no chance of getting any of the limited releases so walked round to another smaller store (Ape) and there were only 4 people in the queue. Tried to get hold of the Blur single as knew the Warmth was desperate for one but they only had one on sale and each of the four people in front of me wanted it. They didn't have the Wooden Shjips single either which was a bit of bummer. Also, I picked up one of only 2 copies of the Flaming Lips' Dark Side of The Moon but gave it to a guy who was in front of me in the queue as he'd mentioned he was really keen on it.....my good deed of the day, but I'm already kicking myself! However did manage to pick up the following:-

Nick Cave - The Mercy Seat 12"
Mogwai/Fuck Buttons split 10"
J & MC - Just Like Honey 7"

Haven't got a record player but wanted to get involved and support the local independents. So, I'd like these to go to good home. I know a couple of people have expressed an interest in the Nick Cave 12" already on this thread so get in touch with a PM. Also, if any of you are interested in either of the other 2 records PM me. Just looking for what they cost plus P & P or even an exchange of some description (see my wish list in the Cop Zone section). Now really wish I'd picked up that Dark Side of the Moon as sure that would have been a good bartering tool in my attempts to get hold of the L&GWAFIS vinyl. Oh well.
All gone now.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was after the Lips lp but wont have a problem hearing it ona download.
Its so bizarre the way these records were distributed in the US/Canada(I went to a shop in Windsor Canada yesterday too). No Lips at any shop here. But I wound up w/a few Stones 7"s, a Neil Young 7", a Rodriguez 7", that Sonic Youth Hits RSD only 2xLP, REM Chronic Town 12" and the Raconteurs gold embossed LP(not copper vinyl though). But I did buy other stuff. Broken Bells which is really good, a Big Star 7" which came out around the box set i'm guessing, Raw Power Legacy ed. So it worked from that standpoint w/me. No lines at any shop I was at,
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just gone back into Resident records to pick up Lift Your Skinny Fists by Godspeed and was amazed to see they had a copy of the Wooden Shjips 7" single left. Bonus! :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

PMs replied to.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Picked up the Sonic Youth Hits 2LP and Nick Cave 12" today. Was really hoping for Wooden Shjips and Moon Duo 7".

My local has a number of Bat For Lashes, Pet Shop Boys and Rolling Stones 7" plus stuff by Editors, Metallica, Eagles of Death Metal, Gorillaz and that MGMT 12", might pick up the MGMT one tomorrow.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Think the Nick Cave 12" I picked up on Saturday has become available. PM if interested.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Wooden Shjips had a box of their single at Bush Hall in London last night.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

A box?.....I thought there were only meant to be 300 of these?! :shock:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Ads wrote:Think the Nick Cave 12" I picked up on Saturday has become available. PM if interested.

PM sended.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Ads wrote:A box?.....I thought there were only meant to be 300 of these?! :shock:
The box had about 10 copies in it. So it was a small box.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I will keep an eye out for this so-called small box tonight. :wink: Already bought the 7" on Sunday but hoping for other top notch merch.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Seeing all these Record Store Day records all over ebay is making me puke. It wasn't ebay day was it? Seems like people have just bought them all to make a profit which defeats the idea of it all doesn't it. Rel shame.

Picked up a Shjips one at Bush Hall and got it signed by the band too.......now what would that go fo on sickbay?
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
Ads wrote:A box?.....I thought there were only meant to be 300 of these?! :shock:
The box had about 10 copies in it. So it was a small box.
If anyone has a spare copy and would like to see it go to a good home please pm me. :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

If my calculations are correct Ads you will be, at this exact moment, be standing in a sweaty crowd grinning your face off while clutching a prized 7". That's what I was doing 24 hours ago.

Right?
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yes, you're right Mark, I was in a sweaty packed venue grinning from ear to ear and boobing my head to the blissed out racket but, as I already had the 7", I bought myself a great t-shirt instead. In hindsight wish I'd picked up another 7" or 2 for people on here. Though, saying that, have just got home to find an e-mail from my local record store thanking everyone for participating on RSD and offering some info of what they still have in stock.....including the Wooden Shjips single (http://www.resident-music.com/2010/04/2 ... esident-3/) . May still be able to go in there and grab another before they sell out. Will keep you informed Sunray.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Piccadilly Records has stock left over from RSD now up on their website, just bagged myself the Wooden Shjips, Moon Duo and JAMC 7". :D http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/shop/index.php
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

sunray wrote:Piccadilly Records has stock left over from RSD now up on their website, just bagged myself the Wooden Shjips, Moon Duo and JAMC 7". :D http://www.piccadillyrecords.com/shop/index.php
Rock. Just scored the Shjips 7". Thanks!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I just bought 4 things from Piccadilly(I love that shop).
Wooden Shjips 7"
Muslims- Walking W/ Jesus 7"
NEU 12" RSD
Soulsavers Lp
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Cheers for this link to Picadilly Records! Just ordered the Moon Duo split 7".
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

johnnyboy wrote:Seeing all these Record Store Day records all over ebay is making me puke...
I completely agree. That link to the Fall record was a disgrace! It was like every fucker who bought it had it on e-bay by lunch-time.

However, I kinda think that Blur/Parlophone shouldn't have had such ridiculously low numbers of records pressed up - what was it, one single between three shops? Insane.

Given it's the first Blur song in ages, as well as the return of G. Coxon surely they knew there would be great demand for it?

Surely if every shop involved had more copies there would have been more income for the shops involved which was presumably the point....how many turned up, seen Blur sold out and promptly fucked off without seeing what else was out there?
O P 8
marcvolta
Known user

Post by marcvolta »

Picadilly Records seems to be a pretty cool shop...

is it an actual store or is it just online???

--that Picadilly record bag tote thing looks pretty cool, but id imagine shipping to America would be a pain.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its a fantastic "real" record shop close to, or in, Manchester's Northern Quarter. Great staff too.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, Piccadilly is my local, where I went for my stuff. Can sometimes be a little slow with new releases but it 99% fantastic. Always willing to put stuff aside for me and recommend some great stuff. I would love to get a job there one day, it's near impossible though, heh.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

BzaInSpace wrote:
johnnyboy wrote:Seeing all these Record Store Day records all over ebay is making me puke...
I completely agree. That link to the Fall record was a disgrace! It was like every fucker who bought it had it on e-bay by lunch-time.

However, I kinda think that Blur/Parlophone shouldn't have had such ridiculously low numbers of records pressed up - what was it, one single between three shops? Insane.

Given it's the first Blur song in ages, as well as the return of G. Coxon surely they knew there would be great demand for it?

Surely if every shop involved had more copies there would have been more income for the shops involved which was presumably the point....how many turned up, seen Blur sold out and promptly fucked off without seeing what else was out there?
BZA ... I posted very similar thoughts in the Blur thread. It is competely nonsensical to press such in-demand records in ridiculously small quantities if the whole point of RSD is to benefit the independent shops. The majority of the records that people wanted were sold out within the first hour and a half at the store that I was at.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was at a shop here yesterday, Dearborn Music, that still has some of the desireable RSD vinyl. Sonic Youth 2x Lp, Velvet Underground Live Vols. 1&2, Peter Gabriel 7". And I overheard one of the staff say we just re-ordered a whole bunch of it. This shop is the most bland shop I have ever been to personality(or lack there of wise). No staff member exudes any sort of excitement what so ever, yet they have an amazing selection of vinyl and indie cds. You rarely hear anyone around Detroit mention this shop.
And they had whole counter full of freebies including Doors 7"s and these beautiful hand numbered Madonna posters, Oasis beer mats etc.
Also, Piccadilly is out of a lot of what was available yesterday. Glad whomever posted that link did so.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Went into Resident records in Brighton yesterday to enquire about the Stone Roses RSD release. They told me all there assigned copies had already been reserved but took my e-mail address just in case. Just got home to find this e-mail:-

Hi,

I'm happy to let you know that the Stone Roses Record Store Day release that you requested has arrived, and a copy has been put aside for you. Please let us know within the next 24 hours whether or not you still need a copy.

Thanks!

Liv
Resident

:D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xd2rvt ... n_creation

Perfectly captures my feelings towards record store day this year.

"Everyone who bought the Blue single get out now"
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Sorry, but this old Hitler thing is so lame.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I still think it's quite funny though. The irony of him being a Spurs fan in older clips was lost on a lot of people.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

spzretent wrote:Sorry, but this old Hitler thing is so lame.
Yep the meme thing is getting ooooooooooooold....

M
Design.
cantona
Known user

Post by cantona »

From a Mute newsletter:

RECORDSTORE DAY 2010 EXCLUSIVE

STOP PRESS...A very limited quantity of this very special 12" are now available direcly from Mute Bank on a strict basis of only 1 copy per customer.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds recently released an exclusive white vinyl 12" of The Mercy Seat with gold foil stamped sleeve and limited to only 1000 copies. This was released by Mute to celebrate Recordstore Day 2010 and was available throughout UK independent record shops on 17 April 2010.

Originally released in 1988, The Mercy Seat features on the newly remastered collectors edition of Tender Prey, out now, and is here available as the remastered original version, the acoustic remastered version and live versions from the Royal Albert Hall and the Tate Britain.

GET YOUR 12" PLUS THE LATEST CD+DVD REMASTERED COLLECTORS EDITIONS HERE >>>
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:I still think it's quite funny though. The irony of him being a Spurs fan in older clips was lost on a lot of people.
Thats cute but c'mon. You could dub stuff in for anything irritating. I think this is at least the third time I have seen a variation of this clip. Maybe more.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

I know, overkill for sure. I think the concept is quite amusing though and this was a departure from football so I smiled.
sunray
Known user

Re: Record Store Day - April 16th

Post by sunray »

Some very nice items on the way this year: http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-product.aspx
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Cool. The Bibio/Clark and Clinic records sound tasty. I'm not having any luck finding the list of US releases for this year.
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

I really must have The Clash release 8)
It's nice to be liked,
But it's better by far to get paid.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Not particularly exciting to me this year, will cop for that Syd Barrett though
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

i'm in the USA if any UK-ers want me to try & get something for them.

i'd love a Grinderman record, not sure if they'll be available here.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

The Black Angels release looks promising.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Noticed a very interesting release for this year: A compilation called "I'm So Convoluted" featuring 4 exclusive tracks from Mugstar, The Heads & Big Naturals, Carlton Melton and Koolaid. 350 copies.

Also, as well as The Black Angels first two ep's comp they're also releasing a 6 track 10" white vinyl called Phosgene Dream (not a typo).

There's quite a few things that i'd be after this year.The above releases naturally, plus Clinic, Moon Duo, Sonic Youth, maybe the Screamadelica triple vinyl, some of the blues albums,and those Sonic Boom related ones that were mentioned elsewhere. My local will probably get fuck all of what i want! :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Here's the American list: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Could any kind soul pick up the 7" of 13th Floor Elevators and Red Krayola with Sonic Boom remixes for me please? I'll see if i can pick up anything for you this side of the Atlantic.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

sunray wrote:Here's the American list: http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Could any kind soul pick up the 7" of 13th Floor Elevators and Red Krayola with Sonic Boom remixes for me please? I'll see if i can pick up anything for you this side of the Atlantic.
Check PM's!