Godspeed You! Black Emperor shows!

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Godspeed You! Black Emperor shows!

Post by James T »

After years of inactivity, the Canadian post-rock juggernaut known as Godspeed You! Black Emperor is rumbling back to life.

The first order of business: curating and headlining ATP's Nightmare Before Christmas, taking place at Butlins Holiday Centre in Minehead, England December 3-5. Other acts performing include Deerhoof, Mike Watt, the Ex, Tim Hecker, Scout Niblett, and Bardo Pond.

Then: In a note on their website, Godspeed promise a tour consisting of "a handful of British and European shows, and then nine American shows." And that's it... for now. As they say, "Until further introspection, WE WILL NOT BE FIELDING ANY OTHER OFFERS." They also aren't doing any interviews, so don't ask.

The note also says, "between now and the live-dates, there'll be rivers of noise and distraction. and the internet is a petty tyrannical monster. please remember that really all that matters is the keep on keeping on. and all that really matters is the shows. and physical engagement in the world. and folks like us and folks like you. thanks for understanding, and thank you for still listening."
spunder
Known user

Re: Godspeed You! Black Emperor shows!

Post by spunder »

ummm. cant wait. only saw them once before and needless to say, they were facking awesome.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I am absolutely flabbergasted. I thought this would never happen!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

This is such great news - I really thought they were gone for good.

Not sure if I can handle anothr ATP festival, but I will be at some of the other dates, come Hell or high water. Might even have to dig out my old Slow Riot... t-shirt!!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Hopefully this means other UK dates from the mighty Bardo Pond.
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Bardo and Godspeed shows...????

In the UK???????????????????????

Oh god, oh god... i think i'm hyperventilating!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeah Bardo Pond are the only other band on that ATP lineup enticing me at the mo. If some more bands are added I like I'll be there like a flash, if not I'll go to at least one UK date.

Weirdy I've been on a bit of a Godspeed tip for the last few weeks or so after a period not listening to them much.. it's almost like I knew :)

just goes to show that an 'extended hiatus' or whatever they call it can come to an end.. all I need now is Comets on Fire and Electrelane to end theirs... :) I live in hope
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

If anyone find out about dates or anything about these shows, PLEASE post the info here... there are not many bands nowadays that i would REALLY REALLY go out on a limb (or sell a limb) for BUT these two are on that list!

Its not desperation... honest... :lol:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: just goes to show that an 'extended hiatus' or whatever they call it can come to an end.. all I need now is Comets on Fire and Electrelane to end theirs... :) I live in hope
Ooh, Electrelane would be good, i do like that band lots.

Godspeed i saw twice and even though i should've loved them they kinda left me cold both times. Still, for some reason, i was excited when i saw they were curating. Again though, absolutely no way i could afford to commit to that ATP right now. :evil:

Hopefully we'll get Bardo Pond back in Dublin around that weekend.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I wouldn't rule out Electrelane, I read an interview recently where they made vague murmurings about getting together again.

I must admit I do have slight reservations about how good Godspeed would be live. I've heard mixed things. I'm gonna love having the chance to make up my own mind though!

here's a really good quality bootleg which sounds pretty stunning to my ears:

http://mixingdesk.blogspot.com/2008/08/ ... april.html
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

There are quite a few of their shows up on the following page:

http://www.archive.org/details/GodspeedYouBlackEmperor

I cannot imagine them as being anything more than stunning live. Never seen them but their albums blow me away almost every listen. The bootlegs project the same desolation and highs and lows their albums do from what i heard of all those bootlegs.

I'm terribly excited about this...
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Woo, I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT! :D We booked our tickets today (using the deposit scheme). Who would've thought they'd ever get back together. This is perfect for Wintery December.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

having witnessed Thee Silver Mt.Zion only a couple of weeks ago I am really keen to see Godspeed for the first time. Doubt I'll be able to do the ATP weekender as I'm planning on going to Oz over the Christmas period which is going to take up most of my cash but am definitely hoping to catch them on tour.

Also, did anyone notice the first line-up announcement for the In Between Days festival between the Nightmare Before Christmas ATP and the Bowlie 2 ATP the following weekend?.....:-

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/bowli ... 090739.php
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I have only heard good reports about them live, Silver Mt Zion were great live too. Saw Comets on Fire, they were alright.
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

That is really suprising news - turned out to be a great day ! The Bay Area is about 70 degree celsius and it is nice and sunny. Looked everywhere, but no mention of dates yet for N.America. I'm sure the BayArea will be one of the nine mentioned cities ? Very lucky to have seen them play twice ( i think ) before they disbanded.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Both times i saw them they played for about 2 and a half hours and i was just stood there thinking "They're making all the right noises, i should like this but i just feel totally uninvolved" :?
The first time they had Fly Pan Am and Sigur Ros in support. A loooong night. :)

When it comes to epic post rock, for me, Mogwai and Mono stand head and shoulders above the rest, especially live.

I will go and see them if they come to Dublin though.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The last 2 mogwai albums wern't so great though. Still always loved them live, seen them about 10 times and they're way too good.

Mono have 1 amazing album and the rest are ok. Again though, they are amazing live, always. When I saw them in Paris they played for way too long, but the 2 times previous were perfect.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Signed up for ATP today. Godspeed and Bardo Pond same place same weekend? Less than an hour up the road from me? Get the fuck in! :D :D :D

With the exception of MBV Bardo Pond are the best live act I've ever seen. I can't wait for this.
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

I'm hoping Godspeed will convince Labradford to get together and join them on tour.

I saw GYBE a couple of times and they certainly were impressive (especially if you haven't seen them before), but following shows never really had the same impact.

HOWEVER, on their tour with Labradford both bands teamed up for a 10 minute long drone/improv thing that was just stunning.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Maybe they will get Low on board and do that 20 minute Do You Know How To Waltz?. A boy can dream..
Mr Slang
Known user

Post by Mr Slang »

It would be my ultimate heaven if Labradford got back together, especially if they performed tracks from A stable reference.
I saw them live touring that lp and must rank among one of my all time favourite gigs. Anyone heard any of the music by Clint Mansell? (ex pop will eat itself) its all film scores but very Godspeed sounding....sounds good live too.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

I've never heard of Labradford. What would be a good album to start with of theirs? Also, I only ever had a burnt copy of Godspeed's Yanqui U.X.O on my old MP3 player which has now given up the ghost. Is this one of their best albums or is there a better on to go out and buy in preperation for their reforming?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Ads wrote:Also, I only ever had a burnt copy of Godspeed's Yanqui U.X.O on my old MP3 player which has now given up the ghost. Is this one of their best albums or is there a better on to go out and buy in preperation for their reforming?
Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven is the one you need to get.

The first track off that album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynoMnQDy8Tk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4KLPlBIY4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEG9DLTzEp8
Last edited by olliemorr on Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Slow Riot EP is the best for me. Yanqui UXO or whatever was pretty poor.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yep Yanqui UXO is in my opinion their weakest album, and I think most fans agree with me.

Lift Yr Skinny Fists.. is THE ONE, an absolute masterpiece. F#A#00 is almost as good.

The Slow Riot EP is good too although I just wish it were a bit longer and meatier (being greedy!)

Also I think it's unfair to bracket them as just an epic post rock band or whatever. They do the big cresendo thing very well but there's also all the field recordings/found sounds/interludes and some excellent drone pieces that make their albums so much more strung out and atmospheric than the competition. The way they piece it all together is amazing.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Yeah, I wouldn't class them as post-rock really. It's weird how a band can start out defining a genre and then stop being part of it, the meaning of what post-rock is has changed totally now. It's kind of like with Emo bands, you wouldn't class Mineral, Sunny Day Real Estate and early Jimmy Eat World as Emo these days because people would just think of some terrible band like My Chemical Romance, which is totally different.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yep good point James T. The other thing I hate is when a band influences loads of shit bands who misunderstand what they were about- like widdly metal bands who think they are carrying the torch of Hendrix, or goth bands who think they are Joy Division.

I must admit though, post rock is one of my favourite genres, even the more cliched stuff. I am just a sucker for a big guitar crescendo.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

this is really unexpected and good news. saw them in 2000 on the last night of four nights at the scala- it was one of the best-sounding shows i've ever been to. i was impressed by the extremes the most- so quiet you could hear a pin drop to brutally loud. i'll go see them again in a second. that was the perfect time to see them too- i wasn't that impressed by that last record, but 'lift your skinny fists...' and the ep were their high-water mark. that's another show i recorded that i listened to constantly.
Ghost_World
Known user

Post by Ghost_World »

I'm looking forward to this, never seen Godspeed.
sunray wrote:When it comes to epic post rock, for me, Mogwai and Mono stand head and shoulders above the rest, especially live.
Mono are incredible.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I was disappointed to see I missed the sliver mt zion show, but the main page of their site has pissed me off no end. It's a bog of their UK tour and basically slags off every city and venue they played at. I totally agree with the Manchester venue being shitty, but there is no need for it. Plus, the rescue rooms in nottingham is great, I have no idea what they expect.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

That is quite an interesting blog isn't it. Well written, but really quite negative.....although they do seem to like Brighton.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Mr Slang
Known user

Post by Mr Slang »

Ads wrote:I've never heard of Labradford. What would be a good album to start with of theirs? Also, I only ever had a burnt copy of Godspeed's Yanqui U.X.O on my old MP3 player which has now given up the ghost. Is this one of their best albums or is there a better on to go out and buy in preperation for their reforming?
My favourites are Slow riot, F#A#, Lift yr skinny wrists. One of the tracks from F#A# was used in 28 Days later (the cool bit where the guys walking through a wonderfully deserted London at the beginning of the film)
Labradford - I'd recommend 'Labradford' and 'Mi Media Naranja' as good starting points - All their stuffs on we7.com if you want to listen. Sonic's a fan and they supported Spectrum in 1994. Pretty damn loud too.
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

angelsighs wrote:I am absolutely flabbergasted. I thought this would never happen!
You and me both! Amazing news...Good on thee mighty Godspeed!
Hey Jayne
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Luminescence wrote:
angelsighs wrote:I am absolutely flabbergasted. I thought this would never happen!
You and me both! Amazing news...Good on thee mighty Godspeed!
yep! all bets are off now for bands reforming... anything is possible!
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I always thought this would happen eventually, they never totally split and the ATP chequebook seems to have no limits (probably due to all these exclusive shows becoming full on tours).

The big deal here is that Neurosis are playing too. I just wish I had an atp chequebook to pay for it...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yep I suppose they never really split up and didn't have a massive fallout or anything as far as I'm aware. Just thought that the band was such a nebulous entitity and with such restrictive politics/ethics that I thought they would never come together again.

With ATP, I gather than although they are profitable overall, some individual ATP fests still lose money. The ATP chequebook is probably not as big as you would think. they just seem to be the people to go to for the indie/alt types. and they handle it very well I must say.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

Godspeed live dates announced for December - Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol, London.

http://www.atpfestival.com/events/gybetour2010.php
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I guess he only hates Manchester Academy when it doesn't make him thousands of DOLLA. £32???
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

angelsighs wrote:Yep I suppose they never really split up and didn't have a massive fallout or anything as far as I'm aware. Just thought that the band was such a nebulous entitity and with such restrictive politics/ethics that I thought they would never come together again.
Well stated---that's probably what happened. As far as I know, there was no real official word on why they stopped......I guess that would involve interviews or speaking to the press, ha ha.