Tribute to Roky Erickson and 13th Floor Elevators

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

JakeCardigan
Known user

Tribute to Roky Erickson and 13th Floor Elevators

Post by JakeCardigan »

Hi

Got an email yesterday about this forthcoming release from Sonic Cathedral - a tribute to Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators

The release is called "The Psychedelic Sounds of The Sonic Cathedral"

It features:
A Place to Bury Strangers
Dead Meadow
Darker My Love
Sarabeth Tucek
The Black Angels

And guest appearances from Kevin Shields, Sonic Boom and Roky Erickson

This sounds like it could be amazing, I've got a pre-order in for the yellow vinyl but this is limited.

http://www.soniccathedral.co.uk/shop.html
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Re: Tribute to Roky Erickson and 13th Floor Elevators

Post by Shinesalight »

This looks very interesting indeed. Took a gander through the rest of the stuff in their online store and loved the Shoegazer t-shirt.

EDIT: Loved it so much in fact that I've just bought it as well as pre-ordering the Tribute to Rocky Erickson CD. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Did anyone check this record out?

It is great... at the moment i am really loving the Dead Meadow cover but the album as a whole is great, with some fantastic versions

Great choice of opening track too... Roky Ercikson & the Black Angels

Plus the yellow vinyl looks amazing on the turntable
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Gave this another listen at the weekend and there are some great songs on it. I do like the opener of the Black Angels w/ Rocky Erikson but, and I know this is sacrilege, I can't stop thinking of Vic Reeves in pub singer mode when I hear it! :oops:

I really like the Dead Meadow track which has already been mentioned and also the Place to Bury Strangers tune. I didn't know anything about them until I went into my local record store on Sunday, and on the write ups they kindly provide on all the albums they stock, it name checks MBV, Spacemen3, J&MC, Cure amongst others. I have been duped liked this before though; the most recent example being the Pains of Being Pure at Heart who also had some of these acts as reference points yet their album sounded pretty much like twee pop when I got it home and played it. I've noticed J & MC get name checked alot on new releases. It seems like all a band has to do is add the teeniest bit of feedback to a song for the Reid brothers to get a mention. Anyway, I'm meandering now......anyone got any opinion/feedback on A Place to Bury Strangers before I waste my hard earned cash on another 3rd rate copy of the white noise sound I'm after?!
Last edited by Shinesalight on Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have a friend who is really into A Place To Bury Strangers. Their live show is supposed to be punishingly loud. I listened to their latest album a few times when it came out. At first it was impressive, but then I found that all the songs sounded pretty similar and I started to feel like it was just second-rate MBV. The drum machine sounds they use remind me of early J&MC, which worked for them at the time but just sound dated and harsh now, especially on an album recorded in 2008/2009. They definitely get some cool guitar sounds, but that wasn't enough to sustain my insterest in them. If I were you, I would check out some of their stuff on Myspace before purchasing anything.
olliemorr
Known user

Post by olliemorr »

TheWarmth wrote:I have a friend who is really into A Place To Bury Strangers. Their live show is supposed to be punishingly loud. I listened to their latest album a few times when it came out. At first it was impressive, but then I found that all the songs sounded pretty similar and I started to feel like it was just second-rate MBV. The drum machine sounds they use remind me of early J&MC, which worked for them at the time but just sound dated and harsh now, especially on an album recorded in 2008/2009. They definitely get some cool guitar sounds, but that wasn't enough to sustain my insterest in them. If I were you, I would check out some of their stuff on Myspace before purchasing anything.
I pretty much agree with this. I can tire of them quite quickly. Every so often however I do go back to them for a listen, but never for long. Their live show is very, very loud. When I saw them I couldn't hear much detail in the sound, but that may have been down to the shit venue I saw them in. I'd probably check them out again if they did a gig nearby.

This is a good indication of what they sound like, and probably my favourite of theirs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IkivtSKLQ
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

my friends' band is opening for Roky in Philly!

http://www.johnnybrendas.com/event-deta ... t_id=14297
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I don't have the tribute album mentioned above but I do have this compilation from the 90's:

It's pretty good with a variety of bands contributing including Primal Scream, Butthole Surfers, Jesus & The Mary Chain, Thin White Rope, ZZ Top and REM.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

olliemorr wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:I have a friend who is really into A Place To Bury Strangers. Their live show is supposed to be punishingly loud. I listened to their latest album a few times when it came out. At first it was impressive, but then I found that all the songs sounded pretty similar and I started to feel like it was just second-rate MBV. The drum machine sounds they use remind me of early J&MC, which worked for them at the time but just sound dated and harsh now, especially on an album recorded in 2008/2009. They definitely get some cool guitar sounds, but that wasn't enough to sustain my insterest in them. If I were you, I would check out some of their stuff on Myspace before purchasing anything.
I pretty much agree with this. I can tire of them quite quickly. Every so often however I do go back to them for a listen, but never for long. Their live show is very, very loud. When I saw them I couldn't hear much detail in the sound, but that may have been down to the shit venue I saw them in. I'd probably check them out again if they did a gig nearby.
i've seen them live too and this was my experience too. i don't think it's just seeing them in a crappy venue. it sort of seems to me that it's being punishingly loud for the sake of being punishingly loud. at one point i thought 'they'll probably do an extended noise freakout in the middle of their last song' and then, of course, they did.
i feel like jamc gets name-checked so often purely for the fact that pretty much any band that marries sheer noise to very tuneful 60's pop will inevitably end up sounding like jamc. i also think that it's a testament to how influential they really were, despite their many detractors who claimed all of their records sounded the same.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

shalloboi wrote: i feel like jamc gets name-checked so often purely for the fact that pretty much any band that marries sheer noise to very tuneful 60's pop will inevitably end up sounding like jamc. i also think that it's a testament to how influential they really were, despite their many detractors who claimed all of their records sounded the same.
Now other bands get to be told that "all their songs sound the same", too. :D
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

Seems like you could say the same thing about Spiritualized. You could also say it about Catherine Wheel, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Cure, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Velvet Underground. It's kind of one the things about being in a band. You (the band) write songs and do them: Anybody could do the songs, but they wouldn't quite sound like you unless you and the other blokes who were in on it were playing them! A band's "sound" changes, but it still sounds like "them", no matter how much they choose (or choose not) to evolve.
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I caught about half to 3/4 of A Place To Bury Strangers' set in Cincinnati over the weekend. My opinion of them hasn't changed. I'm glad I had my earplugs. I feel like they are far more focused on making crazy sounds than writing good songs. Also, the power went out on them three times, which kinda killed the vibe.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Horrorflick wrote:Seems like you could say the same thing about Spiritualized. You could also say it about Catherine Wheel, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Cure, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles, the Velvet Underground. It's kind of one the things about being in a band. You (the band) write songs and do them: Anybody could do the songs, but they wouldn't quite sound like you unless you and the other blokes who were in on it were playing them! A band's "sound" changes, but it still sounds like "them", no matter how much they choose (or choose not) to evolve.
Good point. I think that it tends to be a "great" sound when all the songs sound the same if you like that style; not so good if they're not your thing.....
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

anyone seen roky & okkervil river?
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"