Malcom Mclaren RIP

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

sunray
Known user

Malcom Mclaren RIP

Post by sunray »

Just heard that Malcom Mclaren has died : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8610423.stm
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Re: Malcom Mclaren RIP

Post by runcible »

The guy was obviously massively influential but I found him a rather unattractive & pompous figure. If you have seen the curiously moving section in The Filth & The Fury where John Lydon discusses Sid Vicious' death you can see that marketing and money was fairly central to MM's approach. Lydon - who I respect enormously - remembers the Pistols days very differently to the way MM tried to portray them.

Talented chap no less - worth remembering for the Pistols and punk rather than anything else he did as far as I'm concerned. But that's enough - punk changed my opinion of music completely so hats off to the guy for the part he played.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

As a young teenager punk and new wave/post punk changed my life in a way thats hard for me at 43 to measure ,needless to say a big way ,if my school friend hadn`t given me NMTB all those years ago who knows ...so for his part in making it happen (what ever that is ,pretty contensious ) I`ll always be grateful,maybe only stirred the industry up for a few years before it settled back to its old ways ,but certainly cause untold small personal revolutions country wide.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

As I said elsewhere - liking him is optional, but you can't deny what he did. He may have been 95% a chancer and an opportunist, but he was still the one.