New Slowdive Anthology

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

New Slowdive Anthology

Post by James T »

Not quite sure of the point, but this is coming out in a few weeks. No vinyl release, which would've been the only selling point for me. Have a look...

http://www.amazon.com/Shining-Breeze-Sl ... B0039L1JG6

Here’s the tracklist:
DISC ONE
Slowdive (Slowdive EP) Nov-90
Avalyn I (Slowdive EP) Nov-90
Morningrise (Morningrise EP) Feb-90
She Calls (Morningrise EP) Feb-90
Catch The Breeze (Holding Our Breath EP) Jun-91
Golden Hair (Holding Our Breath EP) Jun-91
Shine (Holding Our Breath EP) Jun-91
Spanish Air (Just For A Day) Sep-91
Erik's Song (Just For A Day) Sep-91
Waves (Just For A Day) Sep-91
Primal (Just For A Day) Sep-91
Alison (Outside Your Room EP) May-93
So Tired (Outside Your Room EP) May-93
Moussaka Chaos (Outside Your Room EP) May-93

DISC TWO
Souvlaki Space Station (Souvlaki) May-93
Machine Gun (Souvlaki) May-93
Sing (Souvlaki) May-93
Here She Comes (Souvlaki) May-93
Altogether (Souvlaki) May-93
Dagger (Souvlaki) May-93
Some Velvet Morning (Souvlakibonus disc) May-93
In Mind (5 EP) Nov-93
Good Day Sunshine (5 EP) Nov-93
Country Rain (5 EP) Nov-93
Rutti (Pygmalion) Feb-95
Miranda (Pygmalion) Feb-95
Trellisaze (Pygmalion) Feb-95
Cello (Pygmalion) Feb-95
Visions of La (Pygmalion) Feb-95
Blue Skied an' Clear (Pygmalion) Feb-95
All of Us (Pygmalion) Feb-95
angelsighs
Known user

Re: New Slowdive Anthology

Post by angelsighs »

kind of pointless in a way, but it does mop up a lot of EP tracks that you would otherwise have to buy the 'Catch The Breeze' anthology to get.

:) the description also says "This is the first in a series of releases by the band on Cherry Red" so here's to hoping for a full reissue series- their CDs are quite expensive and hard to get hold of.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

angelsighs wrote:kind of pointless in a way, but it does mop up a lot of EP tracks that you would otherwise have to buy the 'Catch The Breeze' anthology to get.

:) the description also says "This is the first in a series of releases by the band on Cherry Red" so here's to hoping for a full reissue series- their CDs are quite expensive and hard to get hold of.
Were the 3 albums not released quite recently by Castle Records, or something?
Seem to remember laughing at the ridiculous prices CD Pygmalion fetched even though a re-run had been done.

I don't think this band (with the absolute exception of Pygmalion) have aged well. More than that Mojave 3 first album (can't remember the name) is one i've lost and need to replace.

B,
S.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Yeh your right, the main albums were reissued a few years ago with corrsponding bonus tracks. they just seem harder to get hold of than the anthology.

I think Souvlaki has aged wonderfully myself, better than say Chapterhouse who although have their charms seem very much of the time.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Yeah, Souvlaki is timeless, IMO. I love that album.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I always chip in when Slowdive are mentioned. I was dumb enough to believe the NME who wrote them off as My Bloody valentine lite and I never bothered checking them out. Spin on a few years later and I spent a small fortune picking up the Creation CDs. The first album has it’s moments I guess but Souvlaki and Pygmalion are fantastic records. Not particularly keen on the Mojave 3 but Neil Halstead’s solo records are good.

Still anticipating the reunion!
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I too am a BIG Slowdive fan. I also await a reunion.

As stated above. Souvlaki and Pygmalion are fantastic.
Blueday is great!

ah.. I like them all.

Friend of mine commented to Rachel about her breasts once. HAHA! He never heard from her again.

Best,

M
Design.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah I haven't listened to deeply to their catalog myself, but "Alison" is one of the best space pop songs I've ever heard. A true classic.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote: "Alison" is one of the best space pop songs I've ever heard. A true classic.
agreed. I love that song. I usually have to listen to it at least 3 times before I spin the rest of the album :) and what an album it is- the guitars throughout are gorgeous, and its also perfectly sequenced- Alison as opener, pulling you into the world of the album, Souvlaki Space Station as a trippy space-dub breather in the middle, and Dagger as a spooky folk song at the end..

Don't think a reunion is on the cards- in that interview with Neil where I got the 'Spiritualized & Scalectrix' quote from he says he would have to be pretty broke for that to happen.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think Just For A Day is the only one that doesn't really get my blood pumping. There are some standout tracks, but for the most part it feels like they are playing the same song with the same arrangements and tones over and over and over.
Life is a Problem
New user

Post by Life is a Problem »

I can't see a reunion at the moment but I am sure it well happen at some stage, it always does (except Spacemen 3 and The Smiths.)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:
jadams501 wrote: "Alison" is one of the best space pop songs I've ever heard. A true classic.
agreed. I love that song. I usually have to listen to it at least 3 times before I spin the rest of the album :) and what an album it is- the guitars throughout are gorgeous, and its also perfectly sequenced- Alison as opener, pulling you into the world of the album
Ha, it's really funny that you say that, because the reason I haven't listened to very much Slowdive is that I always listen to Alison a number of times when I decide to give the album a spin, and by the time I've played it 3 times I feel satisfied and feel no urge to continue on in the album! That really is the only reason I haven't gotten more into Slowdive.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I can totally see a Smiths reunion sometime. Morrissey doesn't seem to be as against it these days and having spoken to a couple of them a few times out and about in Manchester they seem to want to one day too.

I would much prefer Slowdive to get it together though. Allison is one of my favourite songs EVOH and the albums are all utterly brilliant. Wish I could afford them on LP.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

James T wrote:
I would much prefer Slowdive to get it together though. Allison is one of my favourite songs EVOH and the albums are all utterly brilliant. Wish I could afford them on LP.
Mousakka Chaos the dubbed out version of Souvlaki Space Station is my favourite.

James, I may have some the LP's kickin' about...I'll have a look and let you know If I have. Saying that Alan (Spzretent) is still awaiting some Telescopes stuff. There in a shed in my ex house...so not sure as to there state.

B,
S.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Apparently, Souvlaki was reissued in Japan with bonus tracks in 2009 on vinyl. This guy in CA claims to have "more than 10 copies" and is asking $28.99. Thoughts??? I might go for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLOWDIVE-Souvlaki-L ... 439f053dc8
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I just ordered one. I'll let you know how it is. Sounds like an unofficial reissue. At least the way the seller worded the listing. Still for $29 inc free shipping its worth the gamble.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Vinyl quality of the original is not the best.

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Loved their E.P's but the albums always left me cold.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Does everyone have Blueday?

Gladly upload it.

M
Design.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Not sure what Blueday is, but am intrigued...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Blue Day is Slowdive's first album, which is a compilation of their first three EPs: Slowdive, Morningrise and Holding Our Breath. It's good stuff. I prefer it over Just For A Day, but I still think Souvlaki is their pinnacle. Pygmalion is spectacular, as well, but it's too far removed from the original Slowdive sound to be considered their most essential work, IMO.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

And there is: Slowdive- I'm the Elephant U are the Mouse unreleased film score.

Which is good also.

M
Design.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:Blue Day is Slowdive's first album, which is a compilation of their first three EPs: Slowdive, Morningrise and Holding Our Breath. It's good stuff. .
That's the album people should be going for then i reckon. Might just dig out the proper albums and give them another listen, see if i like them more now. Think i listened to Pygmalion twice and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

I saw Slowdive open for Catherine Wheel. That was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen, hands down. I was already into Slowdive and had only heard a couple of singles by Catherine Wheel. When I finally saw Catherine Wheel, I was hooked for good. I am, and always will be, a huge, huge fan. I met them during the Wishville tour. Rob Dickinson was so cool, really all the guys were fucking great! They were such a criminally under-appreciated band...
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

sunray wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Blue Day is Slowdive's first album, which is a compilation of their first three EPs: Slowdive, Morningrise and Holding Our Breath. It's good stuff. .
That's the album people should be going for then i reckon. Might just dig out the proper albums and give them another listen, see if i like them more now. Think i listened to Pygmalion twice and it's been sitting on the shelf ever since.
I really didn't get Pygmalion. To my ears, it was kinda the same as Blood Music was for Chapterhouse. It just seemed like the band was very awkward in what they were trying to present on that album...
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
Mr Slang
Known user

Post by Mr Slang »

A mate of mine suggested I see them live, around when 5ep came out, I wasnt expecting much and they turned out to be bloody good! so much so that I brought Pygmalion and....I just didnt get it so I flogged it. I then got into post rock, especially Labradford whose music was similar to stuff on Pygmalion got critical acclaim for all their albums, my musical tastes got pushed a bit further and started regretting flogging the slowdive album. Luckily it was re-issued and makes much more sense.
According to the sleeve notes Oasis reportedly demanded that Slowdive were dropped before they would sign to creation.yeah right. Then again Manic Street Preachers said they hated Slowdive more than Hitler.
Me likes them.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Mr Slang wrote: According to the sleeve notes Oasis reportedly demanded that Slowdive were dropped before they would sign to creation.yeah right. Then again Manic Street Preachers said they hated Slowdive more than Hitler.
Me likes them.
I can just imagine a total arse like Nicky Wire saying something like that. That old proverb “My enemy’s enemy is my friend” seems appropriate here and you have to warm to a band that turgid shits like Oasis and The Manic Street Preachers dislike so strongly.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

nickh wrote:
Mr Slang wrote: According to the sleeve notes Oasis reportedly demanded that Slowdive were dropped before they would sign to creation.yeah right. Then again Manic Street Preachers said they hated Slowdive more than Hitler.
Me likes them.
I can just imagine a total arse like Nicky Wire saying something like that. That old proverb “My enemy’s enemy is my friend” seems appropriate here and you have to warm to a band that turgid shits like Oasis and The Manic Street Preachers dislike so strongly.
Hey, I really like Oasis. They've got hooks and were certainly one of the world's greatest bar bands. Liam I can do without but Noel has a certain hangdog charm. Other than a song or two, I do despise Manic Street Preachers.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Souvlaki sold for $202.50...

ACK!

M
Design.
KingHarry
Known user

Post by KingHarry »

Me likes them.
They were widely hated by music press during the shoegaze period.

I went to see them on thier first tour at that pub venue in Leeds (can;t remember the name) and we sat alongside the stage smoking weed throughout. It was a fantastic night - I hoovered their stuff up following that, but lost interest following the first lp which I thought was a massive let down.

Hadn't heard anything since until I bought a CD anthology a few years back. Thought they'd aged pretty badly.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Saw them a few times, were one of my favourite bands when I was at school. There's not a note of theirs I don't like and I still listen to them a fair bit these days. Not heard "I am the Elephant...". Wasn't even aware of it's existence to be honest.

Some Souvlaki era demos for anyone who's interested:

http://www.divshare.com/download/11498499-345
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm still on a big Slowdive tip at the moment! there's some cool videos on youtube including some home movie footage and this live version of Alison from their final show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSlAcb_ecuA

thanks for those demos Natty, there's a lot to get through there!

Modlab, I'd love it if you could upload Blueday sometime. :)
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Guessed wrote:
I don't think this band (with the absolute exception of Pygmalion) have aged well. More than that Mojave 3 first album (can't remember the name) is one i've lost and need to replace.
Perhaps they haven't aged that well--the cavernous reverbs and whatnot, but there are certain bands and records that I like to be stuck in a certain time period, and Slowdive are one of them. Sort of like how in the 70's, there was a really choked, dry, unnatural sounding drum sound, that's a bit the way I feel about some early 90's shoegaze/ bliss rock stuff. Swervedriver's "Raise" as well, I don't think has aged particularly well either (same thing--mix a bit indistinct, canyon sized reverbs), but again, I think that the songs and productions are rooted very much in that era and timeframe.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

just noticed on the Cherry Red site that the three main albums have all been reissued. they are 2CD, with what seems to be the exact same bonus tracks as the Sanctuary reissues a few years back.
shame it's not any 'new' stuff like live shows or demos or whatever but still good to get hold of these albums without paying silly money on ebay. I've ordered my copy of Just for a day which has a bonus disc with all those early EPs that were mentioned earlier in the thread.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

angelsighs wrote:I'm still on a big Slowdive tip at the moment! there's some cool videos on youtube including some home movie footage and this live version of Alison from their final show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSlAcb_ecuA

thanks for those demos Natty, there's a lot to get through there!

Modlab, I'd love it if you could upload Blueday sometime. :)
Oh man... Did not catch this...

Will do it ASAP!

B,

M
Design.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

https://public.me.com/m2graphis

you can grab the Autolux too... Pretty good also.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks a lot Modlab!!
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Don't buy Cherry red reissues. they don't use the master tapes and in many cases they use inferior mp3s rips and they also do bad vinyl rips
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

burningwheel wrote:Don't buy Cherry red reissues. they don't use the master tapes and in many cases they use inferior mp3s rips and they also do bad vinyl rips
Yeah? Good to know if that's the case. I know that with the Charly 3 cd box set of the 13th Floor Elevators, the masters didn't sound good and the source material that they had for the bonuses and live stuff wasn't good--dunno if that was second or third generation, but I wasn't too impressed.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

angelsighs wrote:thanks a lot Modlab!!

Any time.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

burningwheel wrote:Don't buy Cherry red reissues. they don't use the master tapes and in many cases they use inferior mp3s rips and they also do bad vinyl rips
aww man that's a bit shit! :(
thing is it's my only way of getting hold of the album and the bonus tracks without paying a lot of money.

i'll listen and report back on sound quality..
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

they used mp3s for chapterhouse whirlpool reissue. i understand the telescopes taste reissue has the same issues. apparently the colourfield reissue is bad too. i'm sure there are others!

check out the cherry red forum

http://www.elrecords.co.uk/forum/viewto ... 2fb6117bd5

http://www.elrecords.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ?f=4&t=438

i'm sure all they did was download the slowdive demos from the web!

at least they admit they used vinyl as the source in regards to the brilliant corners rerelease
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

thanks for the info burningwheel. I can understand it if they can't find master tapes, but using mp3's is just inexcusable.

I do have the Cherry Red Whirlpool CD, and always thought it sounded muddy. however I just thought that it was the original production being dated. turns out Chaperhouse are getting a raw deal from cherry red!
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

angelsighs wrote:thanks for the info burningwheel. I can understand it if they can't find master tapes, but using mp3's is just inexcusable.

I do have the Cherry Red Whirlpool CD, and always thought it sounded muddy. however I just thought that it was the original production being dated. turns out Chaperhouse are getting a raw deal from cherry red!
as a result of this, the band mastered 'blood music' themselves, they weren't happy about the situation.