Ladies and Gentlemen....vinyl reissue

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Re: ladies gents vinyl re ish

Post by TheWarmth »

Thanks for that detailed and helpful review! I have to admit, I'm still interested in getting a copy, if only to complete my vinyl Spiritualized collection.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Well the review isn't entirely convincing. I offered my original up on here cause I was expecting to be able to get a good quality reissue. I just don't know what to do now, cause the original isn't the best quality either is it?

Anyone know about the Darklands reissue plain just did, is that worth buying or should I stick with the original for that too??
slowcloud
Known user

Post by slowcloud »

Pardon for any rambling in the post, but here's the bottom line:

The vinyl is a CD on vinyl (as far as sound quality) that is broken up into four sides (to top it off), which interrupts the flow of the music. It's nicely packaged, but that's it. The definitive album is the CD.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Well, I agree that it's lame that they used a cd to master this reissue. It's simply was not the right way to handle this. Also, it's clear that Spaceman didn't have any say in it. It's a bummer that record labels behave in this manner, but it's not surprising. They'll make a buck any way they can these days. I'm surprised we haven't seen cheesy glow in the dark Spiritualized ceiling stars yet.
surfingelectrode
New user

Post by surfingelectrode »

Didn't the original vinyl release break up Home of the Brave and The Individual as well? I know that it moved Stay With Me to side C so that those two songs could both be on the same side, but they had a break between them that isn't on any other format.

I've never owned or heard a copy of the original release, so I can't compare. I'm happy with Plain's reissue. Their Flaming Lips, Ween, and Primal Scream reissues are also great.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Complaining that the vinyl version is broken into 4 parts, with respect, seems a bit daft. How on earth could it be any different? Also, how can you be so certain they mastered it from a cd?

My copy has just arrived so will give it a listen later.
Last edited by JPB on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

went to a record fair and found a copy. really happy about it!
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

mine came today :D
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I have a pill of roommate crap in from of my turntable so I won't be able to tell for a while, but is it a vinyl conversion of the CD or is it broken up like the original vinyl? As in, Home of the Brave not going straight into Individual.
surfingelectrode
New user

Post by surfingelectrode »

toomilk wrote:I have a pill of roommate crap in from of my turntable so I won't be able to tell for a while, but is it a vinyl conversion of the CD or is it broken up like the original vinyl? As in, Home of the Brave not going straight into Individual.
The two are now on different sides and fade out/in.
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

Mine came today from Norman Records & I'd forgotten all about it until the wife chased me upstairs.....'I thought you weren't buying anymore f*****g records you lying t***'!

Seen as I don't own an original yet I'm over't moon & I aint even opened never mind listened to it yet!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

Mine is here, looks pretty stunning, still not listened yet, and I think the £27 is justified as its a double 180g vinyl. Only moan is the prescrpition and one inner sleeve had been bent back on opening the seal.
Must admit its pretty amazing to finally see that cover on vinyl
PS - weird trivia, am I right in saying that in High Fidelity I spotted a copy of Ladies and Gents on vinyl, as well as Perfect Prescription. Sure I did.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

You sure did. Spotting records is a fun part of watching that film.
stirling
New user

Post by stirling »

I don't have an original pressing, but The Individual on the reissue is a different mix from the CD.
So, I'd say it's highly unlikely that it was taken from the CD.
Anyone know what the other differences were between the CD and original vinyl pressing, aside from the track order?
Or, can anyone compare both vinyl versions?
Beetlebum
Known user

Post by Beetlebum »

maybe i just have a really good turntable but i don't see any probably with the sonics. the album sounds fantastic i guess the true test will be when i put on my akg headphones.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

I wish labels would be open and honest about the mastering source, I really dont want to spend £30 having to find out with my own ears whether the label have just bought a £5 CD off amazon and pressed a vinyl from it, when there potentially are in existence much higher resolution (albeit digital) masters available (im assuming it wasnt originally recorded to tape here!)

Of course there will be those who wont care much for the difference, but it means a lot to those who not only have invested considerable sums of money on their vinyl playback system to enjoy the advantages of vinyl vs the CD format, and who also happen to own various versions of the same CD already.....

The fact that even the bands management had no idea the release was happening would suggest it's unlikely to be an offering made with enough love to warrant them sourcing the high-res masters... but we live in hope....

Just been listening to Pure Phase which is wonderful on vinyl - sounds like it could have gone down to tape in the first instance...... does anyone know much about the albums and what they were recorded on, tape/digital formats and so on? It is a bit nerdy I know, but i love all this stuff!
Beetlebum
Known user

Post by Beetlebum »

Vindaloo wrote:I wish labels would be open and honest about the mastering source, I really dont want to spend £30 having to find out with my own ears whether the label have just bought a £5 CD off amazon and pressed a vinyl from it, when there potentially are in existence much higher resolution (albeit digital) masters available (im assuming it wasnt originally recorded to tape here!)

Of course there will be those who wont care much for the difference, but it means a lot to those who not only have invested considerable sums of money on their vinyl playback system to enjoy the advantages of vinyl vs the CD format, and who also happen to own various versions of the same CD already.....

The fact that even the bands management had no idea the release was happening would suggest it's unlikely to be an offering made with enough love to warrant them sourcing the high-res masters... but we live in hope....

Just been listening to Pure Phase which is wonderful on vinyl - sounds like it could have gone down to tape in the first instance...... does anyone know much about the albums and what they were recorded on, tape/digital formats and so on? It is a bit nerdy I know, but i love all this stuff!
if you are speaking of digital as in pro tools i think the first spiritualized album to recorded in that method was let it come down (not sure though).
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Pure Phase was fo sho, seeing as J mentioned syncing the tapes of the two mixes in an interview a while back
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Vindaloo wrote:Just been listening to Pure Phase which is wonderful on vinyl - sounds like it could have gone down to tape in the first instance...... does anyone know much about the albums and what they were recorded on, tape/digital formats and so on? It is a bit nerdy I know, but i love all this stuff!
For top space production facts, the best article i've ever read was in Uncut mag of all places.

Link to discussion here:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... ilit=Uncut

Solarflarez also kindly supplied a link to scans of the article in there, not sure if its still active though.

Pure Phase was definitely recorded to tape... in the most mind-boggling way as the article attests to.
O P 8
t0kdag0n
Known user

Post by t0kdag0n »

I know many people believe you can't squeeze blood from a stone but I would rather listen to an LP sourced from a CD than the CD itself. It could be my gear but I find just merely converting digital to analog makes for a more pleasant listening experience. Sort of rounds out the edges. Of course, ideally everything would be recorded on tape and sourced direct from the master reel but in some cases, like Ladies & Gents, you take what you can get. That said I did a quick A/B of my original to the reissue last night. I didn't put it under the microscope or anything but I did not find the original to head's above the reissue or anything. Fairly close actually. Just happy to finally not have to deal with those damn skips in "Come Together".
slowcloud
Known user

Post by slowcloud »

As I alluded to in my record review, I got part 1 of my profile of Spiz circa 1997 on my blog, check it out here and your comments are appreciated (it's the first time it has been on the web in extended form like this):
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... rt-1-of-2/
I shall work on having part 2 up by tomorrow afternoon.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Anyone in Britain/Europe who hasn't got this yet should perhaps order from one of the American Amazon sellers, that's what i did and it cost me the princely sum of €22 including post and packing and only took a week to arrive. If i had ordered it from a British shop would've cost me about €37.

Haven't listened to it yet and probably won't get a chance to for another couple of weeks, but having never even seen an original vinyl copy in the flesh i'm very happy to have this sitting on my shelf. :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

sunray wrote:.
Where've you been? :D
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Guessed wrote:
sunray wrote:.
Where've you been? :D
I dip in occasionally, but i've been quite busy between working/enjoying festivals and other leisurely pursuits. Also i had reached a point of complete boredom with the 'net :shock: :lol:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

So... we still do not know for sure whether this reissue is based on the original vinyl mix or the CD? :) It seems the running order is the same as the CD, but Home of the Brave and The Individual are mixed differently, as they supposedly were on the original vinyl?

discogs.com writes about the original vinyl version:

"The vinyl version of the album has a different running order than the CD. Side B1 is mixed differently than the CD version (clean break between "Home Of The Brave" and "The Individual"). "The Individual" may be a completely different mix."

(As far as I remember, at least the last sentence is a direct quote from Chris Barrus's old discography page from way back).

Still waiting for my copy to arrive... but unfortunately I do not own an original vinyl copy to compare with. If anybody could share any further light on this, I'd be happy to be informed :)
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

has someone now listened to it more closely and can comment about the quality and standard of this re-issue?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

veiko wrote:has someone now listened to it more closely and can comment about the quality and standard of this re-issue?
I'll hopefully do it later today!
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

my verdict is that the low end and the bass sound much meatier- this is most evident on 'broken heart.' also while i was listening today i was pretty sure that 'home of the brave' and 'the individual' do indeed sound quite different- the latter especially. 'home of the brave' seems to differ from the cd version mostly during the fade and 'the individual' sounded to me like it could be a different mix.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

OK, I bought this. Doesnt sound much different to the CD, in my opinion. I reckon it's come off a CD.

My turntable setup seems to be able to dig out a bit more high end detail but this quite simply could be due to this being a good pressing of a CD-format playback from top quality source kit
My cartridge is a bit bass-lean so i wont disagree with anyone about the bass possibly being beefier.

A pretty good pressing, but to me the overall sound lacks in dynamic range and punch in the same way that the CD does, when compared to say 'Pure Phase'.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

How can it come off the cd? The breaks and fades between songs are completely different.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

Well they've obviously introduced a fade to the end of Home of the Brave and a fade-in for The Individual for the other side, but nothing to suggest that it wasnt done using the CD as a source.

As for elsewhere in the album, just didnt notice any real differences from the CD... fades, mix, and so on. I'll go back to it though!
slowcloud
Known user

Post by slowcloud »

JPB wrote:How can it come off the cd? The breaks and fades between songs are completely different.
Ideally one should have an EQ that reveals a pattern akin to the CD. If one has a good ear, you will be able to hear a lack of dynamic range that cannot be matched by the organic sound of an analogue master, which is ideal for the vinyl format. I can hear it immediately in the drums, which have a much more complicated, resonant sound in a true analog master, whereas a digital master would offer a flatter sound (this has nothing to do with bass or loudness, just the complexity of the sound).
Alex English
Known user

Post by Alex English »

I was at a record fair over the weekend and a guy there was selling the original vinyl pressing of Ladies and Gentlemen. He was asking $400 for it. :shock:
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Noddy wrote:Mine is here, looks pretty stunning, still not listened yet, and I think the £27 is justified as its a double 180g vinyl. Only moan is the prescrpition and one inner sleeve had been bent back on opening the seal.
Must admit its pretty amazing to finally see that cover on vinyl
PS - weird trivia, am I right in saying that in High Fidelity I spotted a copy of Ladies and Gents on vinyl, as well as Perfect Prescription. Sure I did.
I'll have to watch it again for LAGWAFIS--I definetely saw Perfect Prescription in there (I found this topic by searching for "High Fidelity", as I figured this must have been mentioned before....and it was!).
acrylicnoise
Known user

Post by acrylicnoise »

I haven't been listening to vinyl for too long, maybe it's been a year since I've started buying up all the new vinyl I could get my hands on (of all the albums I already have on CD), but it sounds to me like this was a digital transfer. I was also disappointed with the LICD vinyl that I bought. I wonder if that was a digital transfer too. It just sounds distorted when there's too much going on. I must say I was really disappointed, but I've still ordered Pure Phase and Laser Guided Melodies. I'm just hoping it won't be the same thing. Of course, the label is Plain, so it'll probably be flat sounding.

Songs in A&E sounds fantastic though!

Anyone else have LICD on vinyl and find it distorting?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

acrylicnoise wrote: Anyone else have LICD on vinyl and find it distorting?
Not at all...I only got this a few months ago and it sounds absolutely superb - bear in mind I do not have expensive high-end kit either - but what I found was precisely the opposite: when there's loads of intrumentation on the go at once, all sounds are clear and distinct!

Stuff I'd never really heard properly via CD such as the horns (and especially) the choir were far more pronounced on 'The Twelve Steps'...for one example.

The end sequence of 'Lord Can You Hear Me' sounds (even more) extraordinary - mind-melting gospel/metal in excelsis!!! :D
O P 8
acrylicnoise
Known user

Post by acrylicnoise »

Hmm, I wonder if it's how this record was stored. Maybe the grooves were damaged or something... or maybe I was just imagining things... I'm going back to listen again.

UPDATE: Just listened to track one with headphones... it's pretty clear... My mind must have been playing games...
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Ladies and Gentlemen....vinyl reissue

Post by BzaInSpace »

Hi -

If anyone is still looking for the vinyl repress of Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space BP on vinyl, I ordered myself a copy just after christmas and it arrived on New Year's eve from here:

http://www.juno.co.uk/

This place is more dance vinyl orientated, but they sold it for £17.99 plus a couple of pounds P&P. Great value considering Amazon.uk are selling it for £49.99 :shock:

Looks fucking stunning I must admit. :D
O P 8
warmgun.
Known user

Post by warmgun. »

I finally grabbed this on vinyl and while I haven't yet played it, I did take a quick peak inside and it looks as though the little prescription sheet is missing. Is this the case with everyone here, or is it just me?

Noddy's comment would lead me to believe that it should be in there:
Noddy wrote:Only moan is the prescrpition and one inner sleeve had been bent back on opening the seal.
If it's supposed to be in there, will I be laughed out of the record shop if I return asking for an exchange? I noticed a High Fidelity reference earlier in the thread and now my palms are getting sweaty at the thought of being ridiculed by record store emplyees over a missing slip of paper.

:oops:
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

It should be there. Are you sure it's not just inside one of the record sleeves?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I just picked up a reissue reissue (2nd pressing reissue) Plain did on BLUE vinyl.

I guess it's pretty new since I've never heard about it and it hasn't been posted here. Supposedly only 1,000 copies of it on the blue.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Here's a picture of it:

One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I don't know what's more beautiful - that album on vinyl or your cat.

The Tabby Road Sessions

Take Good Care Of Kit

Electric Maine Coon

I'm done.
RoboHobo
Known user

Post by RoboHobo »

Electrikitty
Electric Miaowline

Sorry
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

purr phase :)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that is a lovely cat.

Kitty on Fire
Feline So Sad
tav falco
Known user

Post by tav falco »

electric feline
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Lovely looking record (and cat). Haven't seen anything about this. Can't find anything about it on Discogs. Talking of which, while I was investigating Discogs for details of this re-issue re-issue I found this entry for another re-release this year:-

http://www.discogs.com/Spiritualized-La ... se/3974041

Has this version been disussed on here before?

By the way Toomilk, have you played your blue copy yet?...what is the sound quality like? Tempted to invest in a reissue as the original I bought off of E-Bay last year never came with the prescription insert :x
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I just ordered on from my local record shop. $37. Lucliky I have a $40 credit. Poof! Thats gone now.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Found this link for the blue vinyl:-

http://www.insound.com/Ladies-and-Gentl ... INS114286/

And, maybe this for the UK Sony reissue I mentioned earlier?:-

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=862042
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Neil
Known user

Post by Neil »

I can't find a blue vinyl version in the UK either

The Sony/Art Vinyl release is available here and is on sale http://www.artvinyl.com/spiritualized.html
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Was the black Plain Recordings vinyl available in the UK?

I just put the needle down on it and my first impression is that it sounds the same as the black vinyl. It's a high-quality reissue and the blue is cool to look at.

Correction: It sounds the same as the black Plain Recordings reissue.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Shine a Light at a Wall and I Will Chase it Around
Litter Girl
MediCATion
I Am What I Am, a Cat.
200 Bars (of Catnip)

God those are bad. Sorry.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

This little cat of mine
Oh kitty
Cat shoot cat
Stop your purring
I gotta cat
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

Hofstadter wrote:I Am What I Am, a Cat.
makes me think of this book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Cat
James T wrote:Stop your purring
haha, i'm imagining some kind of horrible story caused by the cat's infernal purring:

borrowed your cat->take good care of kit->oh tabby day->stop your purring->electric feline->cat on fire->i didn't mean to hurt mew->lay cat down slow->so long you kitty thing->feline goin' home...

oh and, stray with me, anything paw.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

After receiving my Sony/Art Vinyl reissue, I have to say that the overall quality of the Plain Recordings vinyl is far superior. The Art Vinyl cover is paper thin - it's no wonder that it arrived dinged up. There are also minor differences on the cover that only people here would notice (compared to the original) that speak to its lack in quality (e.g. circles are white and not light blue, spacing of the two bars at top left are spaced too far apart, etc). It doesn't contain the original sleeves or the insert, though the two LPs come in deluxe paper/plastic sleeves - which I think every record should be in. The vinyl isn't 180 gram, but it's not too bad. Sound is good, but I would say the Plain vinyl sounds much much better (fuller).

That said...

There are some pretty cool things about the Art Vinyl reissue. The first is that you get a CD with it, that comes in a Japanese "Mini-LP" style sleeve. The disc is probably from the black single CD reissue. It has "SP 70" on it. Second, the vinyl and CD both have the Elvis version of the title track. I know some of us will want a copy of this reissue for that fact alone. This reissue also has two bars on the back/spine of the record, which makes it look fantastic in your collection.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

was wondering if the elvis version was on this one- definitely going to have to pick it up now.
i'm hoping someone in town will have it in stock, although i doubt it... if all else fails 20 pounds isn't really that much to pay for it.