Tame Impala

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Tame Impala

Post by TheWarmth »

Anyone heard of them? They got an awesome album review on Pitchfork today and sound pretty interesting:

... a psychedelia-heavy outing that toys with paisley pop, stoner vibes, and an expansive array of swirling guitars.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14279-innerspeaker/

I'll have to listen to some of their stuff online after I get home from work.
burningwheel
Known user

Re: Tame Impala

Post by burningwheel »

sound pretty good from their myspace site
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
Multi
Known user

Post by Multi »

Last edited by Multi on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Thumbs(both) up!

B,

M
Design.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Yeah, I read that review with interest last week, drawn in by the album cover too. Might have to pick it up.

I've got a track by them Half Full Glass Of Wine on a Soulwax mix cd that I swiped off the cover of Mixmag 2 two or three years back. Played it yesterday and it's brilliant.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Just want to say that I am on my 8th listen and gets better and better.

M
Design.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This album is quite good, but I can't get over the fact that to me it sounds very, very similar to Dungen, but not quite as adventurous.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Tame Impala stuff I have is miles away from the Dungen album I heard. A friend kindly sent me the recent Dungen and I really didn't like it at all and couldn't see any similarity. There's obviously other stuff that is though from what everyone says.

On the other hand Impala fans will enjoy this if they haven't seen it. Better than anything on the album IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqnACft7rWk
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Cool... thoroughly enjoyed that. 8)
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

recent Dungen is much lighter and more jazzy/folkier.
Tame Impala are more like earlier Dungen.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think Dungen's Tio Bitar has a very, very similar vibe to the Tame Impala album. The new Dungen LP is mellower and jazzier overall. To me, Dungen are a better band, but maybe I only feel that way because I grew to love them before I heard T.I.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

got this album for Xmas and have been really enjoying it, really getting off on the guitar tones and the freewheeling drumming.

read a Guitarist magazine interview with mainman Kevin Parker the other day and he said the guy from Dungen was his greatest guitar inspiration. so there you have it, straight from the horses mouth (not that being inspired by someone means you have to sound like them, but I definitely hear it in this instance)
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I missed these guys when they came through Portland not that long ago...I love that video footage runcible posted a few months back. Have to see them next time they pass through.

Are they getting a lot of good media publicity and press in the UK? I see they are playing London Roundhouse and the Milton Keynes Bowl. They seem like big venues for a young band.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

redcloud wrote:I missed these guys when they came through Portland not that long ago...I love that video footage runcible posted a few months back. Have to see them next time they pass through.

Are they getting a lot of good media publicity and press in the UK? I see they are playing London Roundhouse and the Milton Keynes Bowl. They seem like big venues for a young band.
theyve got to be support slots surely? they are getting some good press but nowhere near the sort to put them at that level.
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

One of my favourite things for quite a while. Love this.
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

They are playing Portland in April. I missed them last time they were here. I'll definitely check them out this time.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

no fucking detroit, bastards
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

The RoundHouse gig appears to be a headline slot, however MK Bowl sees them supporting the Foo Fighters.
Innerspeaker is one of my favourite records of 2010, I'm really hoping these tour dates expand into a full UK tour.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

yeah was just going to post they were warming up for those fuckers, sux for us imo, good for them tho
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Sure sign that Tame Impala are moving up in the world; it's been announced that they're playing the Olympia (1600 capacity ) in Dublin in August with ticket prices set at €25! :shock:

Didn't think they were that popular at all.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

sunray wrote:Sure sign that Tame Impala are moving up in the world; it's been announced that they're playing the Olympia (1600 capacity ) in Dublin in August with ticket prices set at €25! :shock:

Didn't think they were that popular at all.
A couple of years ago The Cure, Spiritualized, Architecture in Helsinki and Tame Impala played at the Sydney Opera House on consecutive nights. I got tickets for everything except Tame Impala which was impossible. FWIW, .we got absolute front row for both nights of The Cure (the wife is a fan) which was like the KW gigs at the Tate in terms of the bunfest for tickets. I got shit tickets for both nights of Spz due to my being incompetent, hence the rubbish recordings I circulated. BUT, Tame Impala was a total and utter sellout on the spot. I was gutted as this was the peak of my obsession with TA....... :cry:
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

That was on their home turf though Olan. I know they're getting good press but I really wouldn't have thought they'd be popular enough in Ireland for the Olympia.

Then again, my finger is usually only on the pulse when i'm handling beans.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

I was sorry that they played so few dates (and none near me) when they visited the UK, not long after the release of 'Lonerism' but hope they come back soon and play a few more places this time!
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Ticket bought, but it pained me to hand over €25. That works out around £21.60 sterling. Am I alone in thinking that's way overpriced? I would have placed Tame Impala firmly in the €15-20 ( £13-17 )bracket.
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

When they were in LA the tickets were $22 for each night (one at the Fonda, one at the El Rey) - i got my tickets for each right away, however both nights totally sold out and when I went to StubHub to go get an extra ticket for my girlfriend they were $100 the week before, and then the day of they were going for $300! Crazy. Fortunately a friend of mine had to bail for the first night so things worked out fine :)
Hofstadter
Known user

Post by Hofstadter »

Okay so I just checked how big the Hammersmith Apollo is - fucking hell 5000 sitting 3000 standing!
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

sunray wrote:Ticket bought, but it pained me to hand over €25. That works out around £21.60 sterling. Am I alone in thinking that's way overpriced? I would have placed Tame Impala firmly in the €15-20 ( £13-17 )bracket.
I think I paid just under £20 for their gig in November last year. I'm not surprised at these prices because they really grew more popular last year, and 'Lonerism' featured in many end of year lists (I still think one of the reasons was publications catching up after shamefully ignoring 'Innerspeaker'), weren't they the NME's #1? You even hear them in commercials these days, they really are on the verge of mainstream.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

flokie wrote: You even hear them in commercials these days, they really are on the verge of mainstream.
'Elephant' is used on a commercial in the States. I don't own the album and I actually thought it was BRMC (it does sound like them!). My 12 year old son liked the 30 sec clip, found out it was Tame Impala and went out and bought the album.

I would say that they have hit the mainstream.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

they do have a shit load of people who like them on fb, which is really fucking weird to me but since they still play small venues, at least in detroit (800 hundred-ish), i wouldn't say they've hit the mainstream. i don't listen to the radio, so i have no clue if they are played on detroit airwaves
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

They're definitely more and more popular here on the west coast. They have sold out the Crystal Ballroom here in Portland. The fact that it is already sold out is pretty astonishing. Many shows sell out on the night but rarely this far in advance. The Crystal holds about 2,000. But, I have seen bands there that I am convinced they have over sold/packed more than 2000 in.
flokie
Known user

Post by flokie »

Marc Riley played a session they recorded in 2010 on his BBC 6 music show yesterday. I miss how easy going they sounded back then! Bo Ningen were also live in session, so there's a programme worth hunting on the iplayer.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

last night I watched Tame Impala's Glastonbury set in full on the BBC Iplayer, I thought it was fantastic. I cranked it right up and enjoyed every minute. I have heard some people say they were dull live but this was great.
they seemed to recreate the psychedelic texture of their records with ease, including that big splashy drum sound.

I thought Lonerism was an anticlimax at first, and although I still think Innerspeaker is superior, it's grown on me a lot and they are now one of my favourite new bands.
the band does seemed perched on a mainstream breakthrough, and I wouldn't begrudge that. they write psychedelic POP at the end of the day.
..still think Elephant is a bit naff but it got the crowd jumping!
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I've heard a lot of these guys coming from my son's room. He's a huge fan and has since bought the Pond and Melody's Echo Chamber records. Kind of cool that he has found "his bands" and is branching away from "Dad" (but at the same time he has good tastes!). :D

To me, it sounds as if TI are greatly inspired by the Lips 'Soft Bulletin' onwards catalog as well as orchestrated psych pop of 60's (later Beach Boys/Beatles etc.). It is good to hear a band take inspiration from something creative and interesting. Have to say, there is a lot going on in their music. But, the same can be said about Lips circa 2000 onwards.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah. definitely a lot going on in their music, it's even more impressive when you consider Kevin makes the records himself in his bedroom and does all the arrangements. a lot of talent there. some great McCartney-esque basslines that pop out, and as I said I love the drumming. I always enjoy that splashy Mitch Mitchell sound on a drumkit.