Spiritualized New Album???

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Re: Spiritualized New Album???

Post by jadams501 »

Very exciting news! I'm getting hopeful for the album to actually come out next year!

And yes, J as a vocalist has always been way ahead of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, and the like. They waste all of their technical ability by having so little taste -- and J's taste is some of the best in the business.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

a) who is this gentleman?
b) how many of those sheets of paper (lyrics) contain one or more of the following- fire, baby or jesus?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

i hope he does a song called "Fire Baby Jesus" now.... :lol: :lol:
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

i hope he does a song called "Fire Baby Jesus" now....
awesome! thats an album title right there?

and maybe follow that track with "Fire Jesus, Baby"

Hang on a moment? http://twitpic.com/28kwpj
Back to work Pierce! Im not waiting another 4 years for an album...

Sorry Mark, just replaying now. Have been working like a madman!
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

simonkeeping wrote:
i hope he does a song called "Fire Baby Jesus" now....
awesome! thats an album title right there?

and maybe follow that track with "Fire Jesus, Baby"

Hang on a moment? http://twitpic.com/28kwpj

Sorry Mark, just replaying now. Have been working like a madman!
nah, a longer title 'Jesus is on Fire, Baby!' and the album cover a baby jesus ambigualy holding what could be a cross or a needle and winking. now that would top the nme album covers lists! ...man!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I would love to hear J do an album of gospel covers actually, even if it might alienate a lot of people.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

simonkeeping wrote:just spotted this:

http://jamesaparicio.tumblr.com/

check the entries on August 8th and 17th. Looks like J's been busy....
Great. Sounds promising.
jadams501 wrote:I would love to hear J do an album of gospel covers actually, even if it might alienate a lot of people.
That sounds like an awesome idea. I don't think it would alienate that many people.
Laz69 wrote:i hope he does a song called "Fire Baby Jesus" now.... :lol: :lol:
Nice idea. ^^
simonkeeping wrote: Hang on a moment? http://twitpic.com/28kwpj
<3
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

jadams501 wrote:Baby I'm Just A Fool is indeed brilliant. Would love to hear a LGM arrangement!
:D I like that idea. The song is rather simple, but effective.

mn_spi
Known user

Post by mn_spi »

oh..., i can't help exciting.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

James Aparicio's Twitter feed today says he has been booked to do more work with Spiritualized...
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Bring back Mark Refoy! And Sonic Boom.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Fingers crossed for a 2011 release and better rockers than the ones on A&E. Or maybe no rockers at all!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:Fingers crossed for a 2011 release and better rockers than the ones on A&E. Or maybe no rockers at all!
In my mind, Yeah Yeah joined Cheapster, Never Goin' Back, and The Twelve Steps as the best rockers Spz ever did, so I'm looking forward to more along this line. To each his own, though.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

jadams501 wrote:Bring back Mark Refoy! And Sonic Boom.
XD

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like Cheapster, but the other rockers I like are On Fire, Electricity, and She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit). Yeah, Yeah doesn't do much for me.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

TheWarmth wrote:I like Cheapster, but the other rockers I like are On Fire, Electricity, and She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit). Yeah, Yeah doesn't do much for me.
Agreed - Yeah Yeah to me sounds like a pastiche of another band, more so than anything Spiritualized. It would not be missed by me from Songs in A+E.

Electricity was the first Spiritualized song of its type I heard; She Kissed Me.. and The Twelve Steps are superb progressions of that style. However the mighty Cheapster is the probably the finest example of forward-looking retro-rock, fused with 21st century blues...pure bliss 8)
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Electricity and On Fire (and Come Together) are both examples for me of how J's occasionally fussy production can drain rockers of visceral energy and make them somewhat bloodless. Monster songs live and in demo form, but for me they fall short in the studio versions.

Songs In A&E had a strong whiff of pastiche about a lot of the songs, I thought, many more so than Yeah Yeah. For me that album is solid but can't match the concentrated Spz wallop of Amazing Grace.
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Electricity blows me away everytime i hear it!! :shock:
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

These Blues! Awesome song.

Mh... The rockers are not the best kind of songs that Spiritualized can create... It'd be really interesting if the new album would sound like a mixture of their earlier and later work.

Zenchan
Known user

Post by Zenchan »

So what do we all think of You Lie You Cheat?
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

It´s definitely more generic and garage-y than the typical spiritualized song... but it´s nicely done and it rocks imo

just not the song that defines what is most original and exciting about the band.. if it had been their best song then I probably wouldn´t have listened to them.. I´m very sure they would not have been my fav contemporary band.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i think all of the above are way better live, and reflect this by being relatively tame on record. i wish the album recordings would reflect the heavier feel of the live tracks. im surprised spaceman doesnt push the boat out more considering he's had to fight so much to get to this position. why make this kind of track if you're going to hold back doggen from contributing his nasty sludgy metal riffs over the top? maybe this doesnt make sense, in which case i'll say MAKE A NEW ALBUM NOW
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

moop wrote:i think all of the above are way better live, and reflect this by being relatively tame on record. i wish the album recordings would reflect the heavier feel of the live tracks. im surprised spaceman doesnt push the boat out more considering he's had to fight so much to get to this position. why make this kind of track if you're going to hold back doggen from contributing his nasty sludgy metal riffs over the top?
Good point about Doggen--considering the rockingness of the Brain Donor stuff where there's a huge guitar solo in alot of the songs, he definetely knows his role in Spiritualized--do whatever Pierce wants and requires for the song. That being said, i'm surprised that there were no gigantic rock solos on the "Amazing Grace" album.....that one seemed to call out for them the most.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

You can tell J. isn't in his vocal comfort zone on YLYC. At the end of each verse the last word cuts off awkwardly ("freeee ...."), but maybe that's the point and he wanted to push himself. Also, I think the production is a bit weird. The drums are really trashy and washed out. As a result, they get lost and don't help maintain the momentum of the song as much as they should. I love the wah-wah guitar on the end, though! Overall, I'd still say that this is the best of the rockers on A&E. If I could remove one song from the album, it'd be "I Gotta Fire," without question.
moop
Known user

Post by moop »

i think jason's main problem is second-guessing himself. he is one of the best musicians of our time, but i feel like he gets too caught up in all the music criticism bullshit. this makes sense if you think about hi somewhat obsessive production on the more recent albums, and more recently the relatively tame studio versions of 'garage tracks'. i do like when he keeps me guessing with every new track, but the newer tracks seem to be edging dangerously close to MOR. leave that to the primals :lol:

and yes, i think YLYC is an excercise in forcing himself sing outside the comfort zone. i wish he did that with other aspects of songs too. if there's one thing he's always professed to avoid it's safety, so let's all keep our fingers crossed he keeps his interest in experimenting with new ideas. remember that the only reason he didnt make 10 albums like the first two is that it would be doing that same thing...
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

moop wrote:i do like when he keeps me guessing with every new track, but the newer tracks seem to be edging dangerously close to MOR. leave that to the primals :lol:
:lol:

I agree with you though.
moop wrote: and yes, i think YLYC is an excercise in forcing himself sing outside the comfort zone. i wish he did that with other aspects of songs too. if there's one thing he's always professed to avoid it's safety, so let's all keep our fingers crossed he keeps his interest in experimenting with new ideas. remember that the only reason he didnt make 10 albums like the first two is that it would be doing that same thing...
I'd like a pure folk album. Well, it would be interesting. Or maybe something really experimental.

I guess it'll be a bit like Songs In A&E. And perhaps something from LAGWAFIS here and there. I am curious.

Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

TheWarmth wrote: If I could remove one song from the album, it'd be "I Gotta Fire," without question.
i don't think one less song with the word "fire" in the title would be missed :lol:

please no more on the next album

i love YLYC
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'd probably remove YLYC... I still think J missed a huge opportunity by playing this instead of Soul On Fire, which actually had crossover potential and might have made some new fans.
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jadams501 wrote:I'd probably remove YLYC... I still think J missed a huge opportunity by playing this instead of Soul On Fire, which actually had crossover potential and might have made some new fans.
You Lie, You Cheat is one of the best songs on A+E - it sounds great in the recorded version and properly rocks live when Doggen really gives it beans on the guitar. In all renditions the less common 6/8 time signature allows it to stand out as a rhythmically interesting track.

Soul on Fire is too commercial for me, and suffers further from sitting in the shadow of the similar but more epic and grandiose Stop Your Crying, a far superior track in my opinion. Not only is it melodically predictable, but the lyrics are downright weak and highly clichéd in the context of a Spiritualized song. In addition regarding its potential to make new fans, it's hardly representative of the entire canon of the band's output, so is as likely to disappoint as anything else.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:Fingers crossed for a 2011 release and better rockers than the ones on A&E. Or maybe no rockers at all!
In my mind, Yeah Yeah joined Cheapster, Never Goin' Back, and The Twelve Steps as the best rockers Spz ever did, so I'm looking forward to more along this line. To each his own, though.
Now yer talking. Maybe 'Yeah Yeah' is the best Spiritualized tune of all time? I certainly never get bored of the way-too-short cut of what sounded like a massive jam...plus, it has Dirtbombs on it!

I was listening to We Have You Surrounded by the Dirtbombs last week on the commute, and I was blown away by how much the track shares with 'Yeah Yeah'. They sound like they came out of the same session. Again, each to his own but I could listen to albums worth of that sound...

Big love for 'The Twelve Steps' as well. Way underrated. I love 'This Little Life of Mine' as well.

I really like 'Soul On Fire', hearing it on radio 6 for the first time was a memorable occasion!
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote: I'd probably remove YLYC... I still think J missed a huge opportunity by playing this instead of Soul On Fire, which actually had crossover potential and might have made some new fans.
not sure what you mean- both songs were played at pretty much every A&E tour show. Soul On Fire was also the single with video and everything. I remember thinking at the time that it could be a real crossover to the mainstream.. but it got to like number 80 with a bullet or something.
mojo filters wrote: Soul on Fire is too commercial for me, and suffers further from sitting in the shadow of the similar but more epic and grandiose Stop Your Crying, a far superior track in my opinion. Not only is it melodically predictable, but the lyrics are downright weak and highly clichéd in the context of a Spiritualized song. In addition regarding its potential to make new fans, it's hardly representative of the entire canon of the band's output, so is as likely to disappoint as anything else.
c'mon, Stop Your Crying has much weaker lyrics than Soul On Fire, which has some clever and touching lines rather than cookie cutter stuff. I will admit they are pretty similar songs, and I can see how someone would prefer Stop Your Crying because of its more epic sound. I like both though.

I can see your point about a fan expecting it to be indicative of their catalogue as a whole to be dissapointed. but maybe it could have functioned as a sort of gateway drug to lure fans in.. when they hear the weirder stuff they might have their tastes expanded a little.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:
jadams501 wrote: I'd probably remove YLYC... I still think J missed a huge opportunity by playing this instead of Soul On Fire, which actually had crossover potential and might have made some new fans.
not sure what you mean- both songs were played at pretty much every A&E tour show. Soul On Fire was also the single with video and everything. I remember thinking at the time that it could be a real crossover to the mainstream.. but it got to like number 80 with a bullet or something.
I meant to say on his Letterman appearance, which was the highest profile U.S. media exposure he's had for years. YLYC didn't really translate to the sonics of the Ed Sullivan Theatre and it came across as dull and obnoxious. Soul On Fire played on the show might have made some more U.S. fans.

While I do think those people would probably be turned off by YLYC and its like on the album (or Electricity and Come Together if they checked out Ladies & Gents) they might get into Baby I'm Just A Fool or I Think I'm In Love. The performance just struck me as a real wasted opportunity that probably burned bridges for further U.S. exposure.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Remember when they played "Stop Your Crying" on Letterman? That was a disaster. J's vocals were really off-key and super, super high in the mix. The rest of the band sounded puny and weak. J refused to speak to or shake Letterman's hand at the end and I think Letterman made some crack about his rock star attitude.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

TheWarmth wrote:Remember when they played "Stop Your Crying" on Letterman? That was a disaster. J's vocals were really off-key and super, super high in the mix. The rest of the band sounded puny and weak. J refused to speak to or shake Letterman's hand at the end and I think Letterman made some crack about his rock star attitude.

That was Leno. Spiritualized played YLYC on Letterman.

M
Design.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

jadams501 wrote:
angelsighs wrote:
I meant to say on his Letterman appearance, which was the highest profile U.S. media exposure he's had for years. YLYC didn't really translate to the sonics of the Ed Sullivan Theatre and it came across as dull and obnoxious. Soul On Fire played on the show might have made some more U.S. fans.

While I do think those people would probably be turned off by YLYC and its like on the album (or Electricity and Come Together if they checked out Ladies & Gents) they might get into Baby I'm Just A Fool or I Think I'm In Love. The performance just struck me as a real wasted opportunity that probably burned bridges for further U.S. exposure.
I agree. I like "You Lie You Cheat", but I didn't really find it to be representative of that album.....the rockers seemed a bit wedged in, almost like they were really, really early in the sessions (the first songs), or really, really late into it when they realized they needed a couple of more rocking songs. I think that it works more on the double vinyl, where the rockers are on a certain side.....in the middle of the cd though, they seem a bit out of place. If I was seeing the band play YLYC as a first song, i'm not sure that i'd be bowled over by it---they'd come across more like just another English guitar band. Possibly the band and label or manager thought that the rest of the album was too low key, too morose, maybe.....talking about drinking oneself into a coma may not have been the greatest idea, either.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:I meant to say on his Letterman appearance, which was the highest profile U.S. media exposure he's had for years. YLYC didn't really translate to the sonics of the Ed Sullivan Theatre and it came across as dull and obnoxious. Soul On Fire played on the show might have made some more U.S. fans.
fair point, but remember that YLYC was slated as a single for a little while before it was pulled. This may have been before that happened so Jason was just playing the latest single.

I think YLYC is a fine, storming rocker and rythmically and sonically different enough from the rest of the Spz rockers to stand alone. it does sound a bit more garagey and less epic than some I guess. I reckon it worked amazingly as a set opener too.

i think many songs from A&E could potentially convert a newbie, it's a very compact and melodic record. Baby I'm Just A Fool is catchy as hell! I was surprised that the combination of the acoustic shows (very digestible and very beautiful) and the album didn't seem to bring the band many new fans. oh well.
Shaun
Known user

Post by Shaun »

Maybe Spaceman will write a song for him and my new love to hate figure, Wagner, to duet on.
What more can the heart of a man desire?
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

I do hope @JamesAparicio continues tweeting news of the new album

"Spaceman 3 http://twitpic.com/3bb50h"

iconic guitar

Post by Sim »

one more....

http://twitpic.com/2omz2y

perhaps Jason is thinking of changing his stage stool for something a little more comfy?

Post by toomilk »

luckiest man alive.....
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

Sim wrote:I do hope @JamesAparicio continues tweeting news of the new album

iconic guitar
I thought Mark Refroy had that guitar????
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

iconic guitar
<3
Sim wrote:one more....

http://twitpic.com/2omz2y

perhaps Jason is thinking of changing his stage stool for something a little more comfy?
*lol* I'd like to see him play sitting on that.

Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Shaun wrote:Maybe Spaceman will write a song for him and my new love to hate figure, Wagner, to duet on.
Really???

Wagner is a fcukin genius. Have you heard the subtle cut up/looping of Wagner by Indignant Senility out on the Type label?
Moody.

Failing that grab a cheap mp3 of Dennis Ferrer (two "n's" and two "r's") HEY HEY (DF attention Vocal Mix).
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Laz69 wrote:

iconic guitar
Nah, definitely Jason. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1WLSEs1d1kY/S ... cemen3.jpg
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

ya you can see it here too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhKGiFZWCYc
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

mh wrote:
Laz69 wrote:

iconic guitar
Nah, definitely Jason. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_1WLSEs1d1kY/S ... cemen3.jpg
Only reason i asked is that i saw a "post-spz" pic of Mark playing it... well i think it was. Will try and dig out the pic..
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

this kinda takes the mystery out of it all. a year or so down the line 'here is the new album i concuted out of the ether' no! wait a second we saw pics you making it on the webthingy site...lies!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

bunnyben wrote:this kinda takes the mystery out of it all. a year or so down the line 'here is the new album i concuted out of the ether' no! wait a second we saw pics you making it on the webthingy site...lies!
I have to agree.

I hate bands telling evey little detail about the album-making process and detailing everything with photos. No! This album came from another realm, not last Tuesday at 14:46!

On a related note, don't you hate it when you're out and idiots start logging on to twitter or facebook on their phone to update their status? How empty, pathetic and vacuous and.......night-out ruining can you get? Life must be shit when you have to vaildate that you are having fun.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

bunnyben wrote:this kinda takes the mystery out of it all. a year or so down the line 'here is the new album i concuted out of the ether' no! wait a second we saw pics you making it on the webthingy site...lies!
:lol:
radioshack wrote:On a related note, don't you hate it when you're out and idiots start logging on to twitter or facebook on their phone to update their status? How empty, pathetic and vacuous and.......night-out ruining can you get? Life must be shit when you have to vaildate that you are having fun.
I know. It's terrible. I never understood why people always need to do that.

sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

radioshack wrote: On a related note, don't you hate it when you're out and idiots start logging on to twitter or facebook on their phone to update their status? How empty, pathetic and vacuous and.......night-out ruining can you get? Life must be shit when you have to vaildate that you are having fun.
Are they your mates? Dump 'em! Seemingly there's a thing on Facebook now that tells you where your friends are by GPS or something. If you're out on your own and all your mates are in the pub next door that should tell you all you need to know. Bad enough that we no longer make arrangements by face to face or a simple phone call or text, now we have to stalk people to find out where they are. Fucking technology does my head in sometimes, who the hell needs to know, or cares, what you or anybody else is doing 24/7. :roll: :evil:
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

sunray wrote:
radioshack wrote: On a related note, don't you hate it when you're out and idiots start logging on to twitter or facebook on their phone to update their status? How empty, pathetic and vacuous and.......night-out ruining can you get? Life must be shit when you have to vaildate that you are having fun.
Are they your mates? Dump 'em! Seemingly there's a thing on Facebook now that tells you where your friends are by GPS or something. If you're out on your own and all your mates are in the pub next door that should tell you all you need to know. Bad enough that we no longer make arrangements by face to face or a simple phone call or text, now we have to stalk people to find out where they are. Fucking technology does my head in sometimes, who the hell needs to know, or cares, what you or anybody else is doing 24/7. :roll: :evil:
It was a work night out, actually. All these girls I work with, after drunkenly rambling shit all night and singing/howling the terrible music playing, suddenly hushed and got their phones out and began informing the world how drunk they were and how much of a laugh they were having. Which lead me to a few conclusions 1)They weren't that drunk if they could operate their phones that well 2) They weren't that drunk because....well when you're that wasted you just wouldn't do that. But if anything, it established who was decent and who were idiots by their actions-if the phone came out for twitter/facebook purposes you were an arsehole. I actually scoffed out loudly, cos it is very, very sad. I felt like Dan Ashcroft at a SugaRape party, but I was justified I felt.

No-one has any enigma anymore, or at the very least they don't seem to respect their own or other's privacy and entitlement to a stalker-free night out. It's pretty pathetic. Some of these girls have forged really serious and bitter disputes amongst themselves over what they post on these sites. Hopefully a huge backlash is imminent, though at this rate I doubt it.

I actually find it refreshing these days to meet someone who doesn't use these websites. So really, the next I want to hear of the new Spiritualized album is the date of release and final tracklisting, to be honest. I like my favourite artists vanishing for 2 years and coming back with a record. I miss that.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

radioshack wrote:
I actually find it refreshing these days to meet someone who doesn't use these websites. So really, the next I want to hear of the new Spiritualized album is the date of release and final tracklisting, to be honest. I like my favourite artists vanishing for 2 years and coming back with a record. I miss that.
And a big AMEN! to that.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Laz69
Known user

Post by Laz69 »

here is the pic i have... i always assumed this was post spiritualized... but i'm willing to be proven wrong...

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Looks like PRE Spiritualized to me...
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

yeah he looks well young there!!!
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Unless someone's changed the scratchguard, they are probably different guitars.... not hard to print a '3' on a tele if you have the amount of spare time our man J has....
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

radioshack wrote: No-one has any enigma anymore, or at the very least they don't seem to respect their own or other's privacy and entitlement to a stalker-free night out. It's pretty pathetic. Some of these girls have forged really serious and bitter disputes amongst themselves over what they post on these sites. Hopefully a huge backlash is imminent, though at this rate I doubt it.

I have to agree with you that people taking constantly pics and updating their status drives me mad. why can't they just enjoy the moment? i am proud to say i am not a member of Facebook or Twitter. when i tell people that they look genuinely shocked like i cannot be a normal human being.

but are you sure you wouldn't want more of a glimpse behind the curtain of the next album? i don't want Jason to be posting pathetic 'omg' updates but nice to have little glimpses at least. its at least good to know that its progressing nicely.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

Laz69 wrote:here is the pic i have... i always assumed this was post spiritualized... but i'm willing to be proven wrong...

looks like a different guitar.. i dont think jason's has that white section
Sim
Known user

Post by Sim »

Same guitar, pickguard has been changed. I compared the grain pattern on the wood, identical........ anal I know, but i like guitars.

I think this is the same tele from the PP album cover, back then it had no pickguard.

Post by Sim »

I kind of agree, but then a couple of pics of guitars aren't going to take much mystery out of a Spz album......

Post by Laz69 »

angelsighs wrote:yeah he looks well young there!!!
looking at some pics of him in Spiritualized, he does actually look older. So i guess this is pre- spiritualized. Had this pic for many years and never really thought about it... just assumed!

Following on from that, anyone shed some light on this band Mark is in?
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

angelsighs wrote:
radioshack wrote: No-one has any enigma anymore, or at the very least they don't seem to respect their own or other's privacy and entitlement to a stalker-free night out. It's pretty pathetic. Some of these girls have forged really serious and bitter disputes amongst themselves over what they post on these sites. Hopefully a huge backlash is imminent, though at this rate I doubt it.

I have to agree with you that people taking constantly pics and updating their status drives me mad. why can't they just enjoy the moment? i am proud to say i am not a member of Facebook or Twitter. when i tell people that they look genuinely shocked like i cannot be a normal human being.

but are you sure you wouldn't want more of a glimpse behind the curtain of the next album? i don't want Jason to be posting pathetic 'omg' updates but nice to have little glimpses at least. its at least good to know that its progressing nicely.
I guess I quite liked the video released behind the scenes for the making of 'A + E'. Funny because the album didn't really sound how I imagined it would after hearing the snippets of music on that video.

I do like bands to kind of become like mad scientists locked away in the lab and emerging much later a bit frazzled, holding their final product of what they've been obsessing over for many months. Kraftwerk are probably the best example- I always imagined them making all this out-there music on their own wavelength, oblivious to what was going on in the world outside their studio.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Funny, I thought they were all copying Pete:

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:Funny, I thought they were all copying Pete:

:lol: Bless 'im.
Sim wrote:Same guitar, pickguard has been changed. I compared the grain pattern on the wood, identical........ anal I know, but i like guitars.

I think this is the same tele from the PP album cover, back then it had no pickguard.
I thought about that. I just tried checking the "Run" video for that guitar... No success though... Because Jason plays said guitar in it I think.

runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Laz69 wrote:Following on from that, anyone shed some light on this band Mark is in?
Hopefully the man himself will spot this thread and let us know. He was in a band called Telltale Hearts in the early Spacemen days so maybe it's them.
Mark Refoy
New user

Post by Mark Refoy »

You're right Runcible it's from a Tell Tale Hearts gig we did with Spacemen 3 in I think Feb 1986 at Northampton Roadmender. I'd broken a string so I borrowed Jason's guitar for the rest of the gig.