Spiritualized New Album???

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Spiritualized New Album???

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Any information on the progress of the new spz album?

Seems like a ghost town on the website

Cheers :mrgreen:
jadams501
Known user

Re: Spiritualized New Album???

Post by jadams501 »

As with Nick McCabe and Si Jones with the Black Ships, I appreciate that J isn't twittering and making asinine political comments and so forth, but the radio silence between albums can be frustrating in this era of constant updates.
Vindaloo
Known user

Post by Vindaloo »

im also rather intrigued....
So much so that i started a thread, but deleted it when i saw this.

So - anything anyone?

I cant talk - I've been working on my solo album for years, but havent finished writing any songs yet. Immovable writers block. I hate it!
:cry:
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

it would be good to hear whether there was any chance of it appearing in 2010 - extremely unlikely I know, but they have not been playing many festivals this year, which could imply that the focus is on the new album.

What would be really nice would be an EP of new material to fill the void but we haven't had an EP of new material since the Electricity single, so I doubt that will happen.

My guess is the new album will appear in Spring 2011. Maybe we should have a sweepstake.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

when it comes it will come 6 months later, patience
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

clewsr wrote:it would be good to hear whether there was any chance of it appearing in 2010 - extremely unlikely I know, but they have not been playing many festivals this year, which could imply that the focus is on the new album.

What would be really nice would be an EP of new material to fill the void but we haven't had an EP of new material since the Electricity single, so I doubt that will happen.

My guess is the new album will appear in Spring 2011. Maybe we should have a sweepstake.

I'll go with September. Not necessarily 2010, but September sometime!
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Yeah I wouldn't mind some news or a postcard from the studio, but I would say next summer would be the very earliest I would expect.

Unless he does that covers album we were discussing in that other thread...
beaker73
Known user

Post by beaker73 »

it will be sometime next year, according to J himself. See NME.com: http://www.nme.com/news/spiritualized/51893
Appearantly he's making pop songs :D
"I've been drinking all night long, but my hands are steady"
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Cheers for that link :D

'poppy songs like soul on fire and stop your crying'

im guessing that means a lot of love based songs.

im sure jason won't sell out *touchwood.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

wow funny how this thread started, then that news story appears a few days later!!

shame we have to wait until next year, but I guess Jason always likes to get things right. I reckon clewsrs Spring 2011 guess is about right.

I've got no problem with Jason doing some poppy stuff, however I think A&E already fills that remit, some of his best traditional songcraft ever, but still quite varied (Baby I'm Just A Fool is quite catchy but still has the two chord drone thing and sounds quite different to Stop Your Crying/Soul On Fire). Not sure how another crack at the pop thing could top that and still have it's own identity. all speculation of course!! All I know is that I do really like Life Is A Problem so that bodes well.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Man, I really hope Life Is A Problem is on this new album.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

TheWarmth wrote:Man, I really hope Life Is A Problem is on this new album.
Me too. I'm pretty sure it will be. Jason is not the most prolific songwriter.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I would also like to hear a Spiritualized version of Amen, as he did previously with All of My Tears and Lord Can You Hear Me. He demoed it in the early 90s and has played it live enough -- a proper revamp of that would be great.

Hope he heads further in the psychedelic direction A&E had some of, since he's lost a fair amount of the spaciness since the 90s. A&E was a little too chamber pop for me in the arrangements, much as I like it, and a bit more of the classic Spiritualized sound would be a nice treat. Of course, I've been wanting him to make a sequel to LGM ever since I started listening.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

jadams501 wrote:I would also like to hear a Spiritualized version of Amen, as he did previously with All of My Tears and Lord Can You Hear Me. He demoed it in the early 90s and has played it live enough -- a proper revamp of that would be great.

Hope he heads further in the psychedelic direction A&E had some of, since he's lost a fair amount of the spaciness since the 90s. A&E was a little too chamber pop for me in the arrangements, much as I like it, and a bit more of the classic Spiritualized sound would be a nice treat. Of course, I've been wanting him to make a sequel to LGM ever since I started listening.
Can't see Amen happening to be honest, surely the only live outings were acoustic mainlines ones?

i would also like to see some of the spaciness back, but not in a 're-live LGM' way, more of a new album with it's own identity and sound. I love Songs in A&E, but it could have done with a bit more reverb! :)
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I know that "Amen!" was a cover, but I don't think Pierce should go back to any Spacemen 3 material at this point and I doubt that he will. I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I could have done without the version of "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" that he put on LICD. "All Of My Tears" was cool on Pure Phase, but going forward he shouldn't be relying on 20+ year old songs.
heyman
Known user

Post by heyman »

Gotta say that I favour the first 3 albums more that the recent ones, taking nothing away cos there's some quality records on them but I just tune into the more psych early stuff they do better & will hold out for a return to their roots sound with a modern twist someday but just don't think they'll ever venture down that road again??
'I've had my fix, too much of it,
I'm losing track of time in 200 bars'
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

TheWarmth wrote:I know that "Amen!" was a cover, but I don't think Pierce should go back to any Spacemen 3 material at this point and I doubt that he will. I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I could have done without the version of "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" that he put on LICD. "All Of My Tears" was cool on Pure Phase, but going forward he shouldn't be relying on 20+ year old songs.
Amen a cover?! That's totally an original song, just like everything else on that album... :P
veiko
Known user

Post by veiko »

not about a new album, but i stumbled upon this link and it's about long waited DVD of Acoustic Mainline. seems that it might happen after all, but propably not during 2010:

http://www.factorytwentyfive.com/ftf8/
ryansocash
Known user

Post by ryansocash »

I'd love to see a song as lyrically touching as Rated X.. I love that song.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

Spiritualized are one of the few bands that really fires me up for each new release, and I like all the albums in their own way--I love "Amazing Grace", too.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

TheWarmth wrote: I don't know if anyone will agree with me, but I could have done without the version of "Lord, Can You Hear Me?" that he put on LICD.
I agree competely. I think it's a butchery. I really don't like it very much.

Whoever mentioned Rated X - I'd like more of that sort of thing. That song kills me.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Interesting. I quite like the version of LCYHM on LICD but it's not a patch on the original which remains an extraordinary song.

On the other side of the coin I find the reworking of So Hot - which appeared as All Of My Tears on Pure Phase - completely pointless.

Great to hear those songs live but the originals are so incredible there's nothing that can be added as far as I am concerned.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

runcible wrote:Interesting. I quite like the version of LCYHM on LICD but it's not a patch on the original which remains an extraordinary song.

On the other side of the coin I find the reworking of So Hot - which appeared as All Of My Tears on Pure Phase - completely pointless.

Great to hear those songs live but the originals are so incredible there's nothing that can be added as far as I am concerned.
Yeah. Agreed about the originals being pretty much perfect as they are. The reworking of So Hot is a bit of a nothing-song. It's OK I guess. The original is arguably my favourite thing Jason's ever written though. Prefer it's SPZ incarnation to that overblown LCYHM on LICD.
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I always liked All Of My Tears after Electric Phase. It always gave me that now that I have chased the dragon(reminds me of a china town on new years with tons of reverb) then I close my eyes and dream up the river babe. I think it gives such a nice warmth before Let It Flow.

M
Design.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I'm going to stick up for the remake of So Hot too- i think it fits perfectly on the album, and I really like the strings mixed with the drones. Also, on a minor (and rather superficial) note I think All Of My Tears is a much more appealling title.

The LICD Lord Can You Hear Me is overblown but again that was the name of the game for that album, so it fits in. maybe an original song would have been better (Going Down Slow?) or maybe the album should have just ended with Won't Get To Heaven? dunno.

And I also love Rated X and would really enjoy some more stuff like that.. it is sort of unique in the Spz catalogue.. I love how all the strung out improv suddenly congeals into the song, like they are pulling it out of the ether.
I'd love a bit more jazz (and some horns) on the new album, and I'm hoping that when Jason says that Ladies and gents influenced it he means in that way.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

angelsighs wrote: The LICD Lord Can You Hear Me is overblown but again that was the name of the game for that album, so it fits in. maybe an original song would have been better (Going Down Slow?) or maybe the album should have just ended with Won't Get To Heaven? dunno.

And I also love Rated X and would really enjoy some more stuff like that.. it is sort of unique in the Spz catalogue.. I love how all the strung out improv suddenly congeals into the song, like they are pulling it out of the ether.
I'd love a bit more jazz (and some horns) on the new album, and I'm hoping that when Jason says that Ladies and gents influenced it he means in that way.
Wow, that's a completely opposite view to how i feel :lol: LICD should've ended with Won't Get to Heaven, that Lord Can You Hear Me? version is, like Natty said, a butchery. If it had ended like the original it would've been fine but that ending is awful.

As for Rated X i absolutely detest that song, maybe even more than Lord Let It Rain On Me, and that's saying something!
I'd personally love to see Jason ditch the choirs and string sections and go all spacey and psychedelic again. He's been ploughing the same furrow for well over a decade now and with what he's been saying about the new album i'm expecting to feel frustrated and underwhelmed yet again.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like Rated X a lot. The Zane Lowe version on the Cheapster single is even better than the album version. It's a powerful song.
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

I almost feel like that remake of Lord Can You Hear Me could have been a secret track on LICD. I do like the song, but I think that Won't Get To Heaven would have been a totally stunning end to the album, on a scale as grand as Cop Shoot Cop's finale to LAGWAFIS.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Wow, that's a completely opposite view to how i feel :lol: LICD should've ended with Won't Get to Heaven, that Lord Can You Hear Me? version is, like Natty said, a butchery. If it had ended like the original it would've been fine but that ending is awful.

As for Rated X i absolutely detest that song, maybe even more than Lord Let It Rain On Me, and that's saying something!
I'd personally love to see Jason ditch the choirs and string sections and go all spacey and psychedelic again. He's been ploughing the same furrow for well over a decade now and with what he's been saying about the new album i'm expecting to feel frustrated and underwhelmed yet again.
cmon 'butchery' is a strong word! I am not a huge fan of the song in itself anyway to be honest, i just 'quite like' both versions for different reasons. One thing that we can agree on is that Lord Let It Rain On Me is pretty poor :)

there is still a chance that Jason may go all psychedelic again, I would rather like that too, but only if it has it's own identity and is not just trying to do 'LGM Pt 2'. the fact that ladies and gents has fed into the new album according to Jason could be a good sign- although that album has a lot of strings/choirs is also mixed nice and spacily?? who knows.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

angelsighs wrote:
sunray wrote:
angelsighs wrote: Wow, that's a completely opposite view to how i feel :lol: LICD should've ended with Won't Get to Heaven, that Lord Can You Hear Me? version is, like Natty said, a butchery. If it had ended like the original it would've been fine but that ending is awful.

I'd personally love to see Jason ditch the choirs and string sections One thing that we can agree on is that Lord Let It Rain On Me is pretty poor :)
that's one of my favorite songs! more choirs, more strings i say!
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

The rework of So Hot is one of my favourite tracks, and in my pinion, better than the original. The best version is the acoustic mainline radio session one.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Lord Let It Rain On Me has always divided people in extreme fashion on this board. It seems to be a love or hate song. Personally I love it and was a touch baffled when people said they didn't like it but there are plenty of songs others love and which I don't so...

Lord Can You Hear Me, for me, is an absolutely extraordinary moment for both Spacemen 3 and Jason. The sequencing of the tracks on side 2 of Playing With Fire is inspired and LCYHM is the perfect way to finish. It's also the Jason song that Pete K most admires and I can see why. The fragility and strained feel of Jason's voice on the original makes the reworking, which is OK but unnecessary in my book, sound overblown. I know that's what people say about the whole of LICD (which sounds better every time I play it these days) but I don't see any reason for redoing that song. More so on So Hot which was so perfect the first time round it should have been left alone. The way Let Me Down Gently goes into it and then Suicide follows sends shivers down my spine every time. Pure genius and a showcase to show the talents of the 2 songwriters involved. If I play Pure Phase I hit the skip key when All Of My Tears comes on.
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

I love the power chords on the chorus and Pat's saxophone at the end. Simple but genius.

And I like "Lord, Let it Rain on Me".
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

I really like both versions of Lord Can You Hear Me. The original is just the original and is timeless. The one on LICD is so powerful and with the undertone vocals from Mimi... sounds like what he always imagined it to be.

B,

M
Design.
aadamm
Known user

Post by aadamm »

I love Rated X. That's crazy talk.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I don't understand all the love for the original So Hot... it always sounds a bit like an awkward demo to me, whereas the Pure Phase version brings it to fruition. The acoustic radio versions are quite wonderful as well.

And I'd say much the same thing about Lord Can You Hear Me... i find the enunciation of "Lord, can you hearme" awkward and weirdly rushed on the original, whereas the LICD version is more stately and hymnlike. I agree that it's a bit overblown by the end, but I guess my ideal version of that song is a mental construct combining the simple desolation of the original with the stronger vocals of the Spz version. And I do see it as a bonus track or coda to Won't Get To Heaven as the epic conclusion to the album proper.

I'm a big fan of Rated X and the way it suddenly coalesces from the random noodling. As someone who's not so into the indulgent "free jazz" element of Spiritualized, I think the noodling cut have been trimmed by at least a minute to make a tighter and stronger song. And I like Lord Let It Rain On Me a lot, too... very inspiring and effective track. One of the highlights of Amazing Grace, a generally highly underrated album. Though it's time for J to go psychedelic again -- Songs in A&E was way too "indie chamber pop" for me and I think he's got to change course.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

I think it depends which version of the songs you heard first which way you feel about them ,me I bought Playing With Fire the day it came out and So Hot very quickly became a fav. and is prob.my fav. Jason Spacemen track my only complaint was that it was to short ,while obviously Jason holds his back catologue in high regard as he still refers right back to some of his earliest stuff ,for me his original versions win hands down ,but hey the updated versions are still good and I don`t think their particularly out of place on their respective albums.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

rated x is one of his best songs this millenia.

lord is a campfire pastisch of himself, vu and oasis ffs - only real disappointment in the almost 18 yrs as a fan.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

scratch wrote:lord is a campfire pastisch of himself, vu and oasis ffs - only real disappointment in the almost 18 yrs as a fan.
Ha, I agree with you that it's a pastiche -- but I think that could be said about almost everything J has done over the last decade because he's chosen to stick with gospel-infused heroin blues. Pretty much every rocker he's done since 1997 has been a variant on Electricity -- though I'm glad that most have bested it. Don't Hold Me Close is my favorite of his lullaby tracks, but he's been doing that at least since Cool Waves with varying results.

I guess the division between me and many others over Amazing Grace is that I saw it as an attempt to boil down all the Spiritualized song archetypes to their spectral essence in a concise, punchy, stripped-down album. For me the fact that it's definitely filled with retreads is kind of a selling point because the production is done so differently from the earlier records. I appreciate that J branched out with some songs on Songs in A&E, but I think the chamber pop direction was sort of an artistic dead end, and I hope he sticks with the general sort of material at which he's excelled in the past.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

niamhm wrote:I think it depends which version of the songs you heard first which way you feel about them ,me I bought Playing With Fire the day it came out and So Hot very quickly became a fav. and is prob.my fav. Jason Spacemen track my only complaint was that it was to short ,while obviously Jason holds his back catologue in high regard as he still refers right back to some of his earliest stuff ,for me his original versions win hands down ,but hey the updated versions are still good and I don`t think their particularly out of place on their respective albums.
That's spot on. I threw a sickie when PWF came out and sat at home playing it all day. People almost always love the version they heard first.
mkb
Known user

Post by mkb »

runcible wrote:
niamhm wrote:I think it depends which version of the songs you heard first which way you feel about them ,me I bought Playing With Fire the day it came out and So Hot very quickly became a fav. and is prob.my fav. Jason Spacemen track my only complaint was that it was to short ,while obviously Jason holds his back catologue in high regard as he still refers right back to some of his earliest stuff ,for me his original versions win hands down ,but hey the updated versions are still good and I don`t think their particularly out of place on their respective albums.
That's spot on. I threw a sickie when PWF came out and sat at home playing it all day. People almost always love the version they heard first.

In a similar way, someone's favourite Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 album is usually the one they heard first, the one that got them into the band.

I think that's one of the reasons why Ladies and Gentlemen... is so popular - it was the entry point for a lot of people.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

runcible wrote:In a similar way, someone's favourite Spiritualized/Spacemen 3 album is usually the one they heard first, the one that got them into the band.

I think that's one of the reasons why Ladies and Gentlemen... is so popular - it was the entry point for a lot of people.
I think you're generally right about this, but it isn't the case for me. Ladies and Gents was the first Spz album I heard, but it's by far my least favorite of their releases.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

jadams501 wrote:
....and I hope he sticks with the general sort of material at which he's excelled in the past.

I understand it's all opinion, but i wouldn't be very encouraged if J hadn't moved from the Spacemen 3/LGM aesthetic - He's pushing forward with what he wants to do, which is what good artists do. If he had stuck with drones and phases for the last decade, that would have boring - that's how bands start to suck. 'Don't fuck with the formula' isn't a sound basis for artistic glory.

FWIW, LGM might actually be my least favourite Spiz record, although it was the joint first one i bought (along with L&G).
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:
I understand it's all opinion, but i wouldn't be very encouraged if J hadn't moved from the Spacemen 3/LGM aesthetic - He's pushing forward with what he wants to do, which is what good artists do. If he had stuck with drones and phases for the last decade, that would have boring - that's how bands start to suck. 'Don't fuck with the formula' isn't a sound basis for artistic glory.

FWIW, LGM might actually be my least favourite Spiz record...
I think I may agree with you. And I must be one of the few that would be very disappointed with any return to the tremelos/phases/cavernous reverb of the old days... unlikely though it is. As Goodnightgoodnight says, there would be much complaint now i'm sure if the direction hadn't changed over the year. That stuff has been done - probably as good as it gets - by Spiritualized and is now only retread by I guess pretty conservative bands.

Thank God(?) for evolution... :D
I'm always more interested when an artist pushes things out a bit more. Wasn't there that quote at one point:
Spaceman wrote: "I could have made another 5 albums like Pure Phase..."

Well, exactly.

I'm also unsure why there is this general idea that Spiritualized music is not as psychedelic as it once was... crazy! Although it doesn't rely on the 'effects' as mentioned above it's just as out there. Psychedelic in a not so obvious way.
The Yoko Ono remix is one of THE psychedelic guitar records.

Guitar Loops - mostly hated/unlistened it seems but that record is amazing, and far more of a head-f*** than...[insert 'trippy' band name here].

Lastly - the Let It Come Down version of 'Lord Can You Hear Me'. This seems to have split everyone since it came out nearly a decade ago. Luckily I enjoy it for what it so clearly is - the epic, spine-tingling conclusion to one of my favourite albums!

I'm sorry, but I think it pisses over the Sp3 original! There's no point in sitting on the fence I think... It's the ultimate Spiritualized studio track on the ultimate Spiritualized studio album... it's life, death, beauty, destruction, art, fear, choirs and heavy, heavy guitars.

It has to be overblown. It's dealing with the extremes. It's everything...

Controversy... :lol:
O P 8
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

I used to hold the Sp3 live version from Spacemen Are Go!/Live In Europe 1989 as my favourite version of LCYHM until LICD came out... I really like the overblown LICD-version as well. It's not that I'm too fond of the overblown arrangement (orchestra and stuff), but more that the feeling of that song really suits that overblown version and the great ending of it. I always imagine the skies opening during those last amazing seconds :)
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:I must be one of the few that would be very disappointed with any return to the tremelos/phases/cavernous reverb of the old days... unlikely though it is. As Goodnightgoodnight says, there would be much complaint now i'm sure if the direction hadn't changed over the year. That stuff has been done - probably as good as it gets - by Spiritualized and is now only retread by I guess pretty conservative bands.

Thank God(?) for evolution... :D
I'm always more interested when an artist pushes things out a bit more.
By this standard hasn't J's entire career been "conservative" by drawing so extensively from blues, gospel, and garage rock? I'm glad that J has tried various things too, but a track like The Waves Crash In is fairly warmed-over indie chamber pop that's been done extensively by the Arcade Fire and their like.

I suppose I don't understand using "conservative" as a bit of a slam when it might also be described as sticking with what works. I'm all for innovation in dessert foods but why leave chocolate behind? A lot of things haven't been done yet because they aren't very fertile for the sorts of mass quantity of diverse good stuff in, say, power pop.

Amazing Grace is my favorite Spz LP after LGM, but I still think they were at their artistic and performance peak from 1992-96. Spaceman is the master of drones and tremeloes and so forth (except for Sonic Boom, maybe) and I wouldn't mind hearing him further explore areas at which he's unparalleled than continue the somewhat more generic sound of Songs in A&E.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote:I'm glad that J has tried various things too, but a track like The Waves Crash In is fairly warmed-over indie chamber pop...
No, no! It's a beautiful song...
jadams501 wrote: ...that's been done extensively by the Arcade Fire and their like.
:shock: NO! Anything but... if they can write a song as good as 'The Waves Crash In' i'll eat... my record.

jadams501 wrote: Amazing Grace is my favorite Spz LP after LGM, but I still think they were at their artistic and performance peak from 1992-96. Spaceman is the master of drones and tremeloes and so forth (except for Sonic Boom, maybe) and I wouldn't mind hearing him further explore areas at which he's unparalleled than continue the somewhat more generic sound of Songs in A&E.
Look, it's quiet around here just now and it's at times entertaining to throw stuff out there to hopefully fire up some debate.

And in the spirit of this - I totally disagree about the 'peak' thing. I recall a former poster here tirelessly used the same argument and time frame as well (he may have managed to narrow down the so-called 'peak' of Spiritualized to within a month) until the release of A&E, then his opinions completely changed!

Personally that last album is for me THE Spiritualized album* - it's almost definitely the one I never tire of listening to at any rate. In saying that all their albums I think need a bit of time to work into your heart - see the initial mixed reviews for Let It Come Down, and especially Amazing Grace. :roll:

Oh yeah, I think the influences working through Spiritualized are on a much bigger scale that just garage/blues/gospel although it maybe boils down to rock n' roll in essence - but there is much more going on and much more stuff in the mix.
But, in saying that who else can do these songs using just a few chords? Look at 'Baby I'm Just A Fool' - a big favourite for me - two chords! Yet it sounds so fresh. That's amazing.
O P 8
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Baby I'm Just A Fool is indeed brilliant. Would love to hear a LGM arrangement!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Here in lies the beauty of Spiritualized.
I think Jason always wanted to conduct. Which he was able to do on the Acoustic Mainlines tour as well as these LAGWAFIS shows.
The A&E show were amazing as well.
So whatever he has up his sleeve for the new record i'm in. I always have been. And Spiritualized are one of the few bands who's records i always look forward to.
Whatever journey awaits i'm punching my ticket. It may sound trite but its the truth!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
throb
Known user

Post by throb »

spzretent wrote:...Whatever journey awaits i'm punching my ticket. It may sound trite but its the truth!
Yup. J's music is probably the only constant I've had through 25 years of listening to all sorts of sounds. Good or bad, I'm in. I don't have a choice!
SPZ outpatients - forum radio on LAST.FM
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

jadams501 wrote:[
I suppose I don't understand using "conservative" as a bit of a slam when it might also be described as sticking with what works. I'm all for innovation in dessert foods but why leave chocolate behind? A lot of things haven't been done yet because they aren't very fertile for the sorts of mass quantity of diverse good stuff in, say, power pop.

Sticking with what works is fine for desserts, but perhaps not so much for music. If Jason had spent the last 15 years since Pure Phase making records that sounded like that, I certainly wouldn't be as interested in the band, and I do love me some Pure Phase. It'd become a cliche.

Not familiar with the story of Brian Wilson and the Smile sessions, are you? The Beach Boys are the ultimate example of this.

Jason's basic songwriting is rather conservative, because he's not a great singer (if you believe the whole 'i never write on an instrument' thing) and not a great 'songwriter' guitarist (He can solo and make a lot of noise, but seems rather limited in the chord department), so you're hardly going to get something like Pet Sounds out of him. Although they have been getting more complex since LICD....

What changes is his arrangement and production, which makes each new record a treat - A&E seems to have sewn up the stripped down AG with the lavish orchestration of LICD, so it's exciting to think what his 'pop' album is going to be.

I mean, Jason is man with a huge and diverse love of music. Why on earth would he limit himself to stamping on his tremelo pedal?
One Asian Under A Groove
Known user

Post by One Asian Under A Groove »

spzretent wrote: Whatever journey awaits i'm punching my ticket. It may sound trite but its the truth!
Amen!
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

One Asian Under A Groove wrote:
spzretent wrote: Whatever journey awaits i'm punching my ticket. It may sound trite but its the truth!
Amen!

Hey Man!

Boom tish!
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

[/quote]Jason's basic songwriting is rather conservative, because he's not a great singer [/quote]

J's voice definitely hits my feel good spot and he's at the top of my favorite singer list. Forget octaves, it's his emotional range that never fails me.

I was listening to the RCMH show on my way back from Lansing yesterday afternoon. Big shout out to shallowboi :!: Found myself hitting repeat on Oh Happy Day. I fall in love when those hairs stand at attention. Then that lump in my throat. And those glassy eyes.

J's voice does that.
I think I feel it coming on
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

I know! I was talking about octaves, but obviously thats not all that makes a great singer :D
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I thnk a great singer is someone who sounds sincere. Forget technical ability - that's just luck.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

JPB wrote:I thnk a great singer is someone who sounds sincere. Forget technical ability - that's just luck.
No, I can't agree with you here. Technical ability isn't just luck. I started singing in '95 when the members of the band I was in at the time encouraged me. I was terrible for years, but luckily they never forced me to stop. Fifteen years later and I'm quite comfortable with my voice, which has improved immensely with a ton of work and practice.
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Fair point.

I think what I was trying to say was being technically competant doesn't make a great singer. I guess I was thinking of someone like Whitney Houston (pre-crack, bless her) who was considered a 'great' singer but left me cold.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I agree with you there. I can't stand these modern R&B singers who chew each note to bits.
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

just spotted this:

http://jamesaparicio.tumblr.com/

check the entries on August 8th and 17th. Looks like J's been busy....
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

excellent spot simon!! very tantalising

the words 'Spiritualized 2010 master' give me a warm feeling :)
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Nice one!

Should be really interesting.

:)

M

PS: Si did you get my mail...
Design.
thesevensteves
Known user

Post by thesevensteves »

exciting news indeed...also came across this via his twitter feed:

"2 days tracking vocals with jason pierce, now off to Milan to do some tracking with Thee Piatcoins, Nice weeks work
10:02 AM Oct 6th via web"

http://twitter.com/JamesAparicio/status/26548890430
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

SOMEBODY HACK HIS COMPUTER

(just kidding)