True love will find you in the end

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

JPB
Known user

True love will find you in the end

Post by JPB »

I didn't realise that both Jason and Sonic had covered this. Got the Spectrum cd single this week - and what a stunning version it is! Lovely stuff.
jadams501
Known user

Re: True love will find you in the end

Post by jadams501 »

Sonic actually has 2 versions of that... not sure which singles but they're both on What Came Before After.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

I could easily be wrong but I think Sonic has released four versions of this. I have it five times on vinyl.

The TLWFYITE 7" is stated as a Radio Edit and I think this is the first version on What Came Before After. It's also the same version as on the Sympathy For The Record Industry True Love double 7" which states it's from the Soul Kiss sessions.

The California Lullaby 10" version is the second, 'alternate version' from WCBA.

The True Love 12" has an extended version and a demo version, nether of which are on WCBA.

As I said I can't be 100% sure as I only listened to the first parts of these except for the 12" which is super.

While Sonic may have over over done it a little :? I don't know what possessed Jason to cover it, his version is woeful.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Broc wrote:I have it five times on vinyl.
Six times, just saw it's also on the Indian Summer 12"!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

There is a radio mix, extended mix, demo mix, 7" version (from the Soul Kiss sessions), and Radio 1 live version if you count Sonic's Live Chronicles as "releases". So yes, Broc is right.

I quite like Jason's version though. Acoustic guitar with rhodes, strings, and a small choir. It's much different than any of Sonic's versions. I think it's also truer to the original. I really don't think its a huge plagiarism operation that some people make it out to be. His first performances after being ill was a second Coral Sea performance, Silent Sound (which isn't really performance for Jason), and a Daniel Johnston tribute show. Then he launched into the Mister Lonely soundtrack and eventually the Acoustic Mainlines tour. The inclusion of TLWFYITE in these shows has nothing to do with the fact that Sonic released his cover 15 years prior. These shows were deeply emotion as is the song, and probably its meaning to Jason has a lot to do with the fact that the Johnston tribute show helped him get back into playing music.

either way, both are covers.
Broc
Known user

Post by Broc »

Apart from Sonic's versions, I find most versions of this by artists I really like (Beck, Wilco & Spiritualized) to be quite flat..

The original and Sonic's (many) versions are enough for me..
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Broc wrote: I don't know what possessed Jason to cover it, his version is woeful.
No way! :shock:

When played at Acoutic Mainlines it was incredible!
O P 8
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Post by Goodnightgoodnight »

Everyone knows Jason's cover of Funeral Home was his best Johnston cover anyway..... right?

Jason's version is just lush, but then I'm a fan of orchestral spiz. Not sure about Pete's. I mean, i like bits of it, but the echo on the vocals is a bit much if that doesn't sound too much like nitpicking.

Agree that it's hard to cover. And covering the same songs is hardly 'ripping off' or whatever Pete said. Like Toomilk sez, they are part of Jason's set at a bloody tribute show 15 years later or something. Sometimes i wish Pete would just be a little less of a dick about the whole Spacemen 3 thing. I mean, you can tell Jason couldn't give a flying one about Kember these days but he doesn't (quite) slag him off at every opportunity. Give it a rest, you know?
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:
Agree that it's hard to cover. And covering the same songs is hardly 'ripping off' or whatever Pete said. Like Toomilk sez, they are part of Jason's set at a bloody tribute show 15 years later or something. Sometimes i wish Pete would just be a little less of a dick about the whole Spacemen 3 thing. I mean, you can tell Jason couldn't give a flying one about Kember these days but he doesn't (quite) slag him off at every opportunity. Give it a rest, you know?
I think it's been well established that Pete has influenced Jason. The cover of TLWFYITE is curious - Pete has original Daniel Johnston artwork on the wall of his house and has been a fan for a long time. Very soon after Pete worked with Stereolab Jason invited them to tour with him. There's nothing wrong with this of course but it was interesting.

Your point of view on the Spacemen 3 thing is pretty inaccurate. Jason isn't interested in any collaboration with Pete but Pete has sent messages the other way. Add to that I've seen Pete get quite animated in his defence of Jason when people have attacked Jason for whatever reason, and I've also heard him rave about Jason's song-writing ability & guitar playing. You don't hear about that as it's not how people like to view the situation - but if he says anything against Jason it's always reported.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Has he? Like you say, I've only gone on what I've read - There was something in a Captain Memphis interview that seemed rather viscious that stuck in my mind, and other little asides which seem unnecessarily rude after all these years. Of course I am willing to admit i know a lot less than some here about the intricacies of the Kember/Pierce relationship.

Personally, i think who covered 'True Love' first is insignificant. Like i said, its maybe THE classic Johnston song that Jason did for a tribute show many years later. Kember might as well slag off Beck/Wilco/whoever for the same reason. It seems quite bitchy to say that to a fan who merely requested the cover outside a gig.

But yeah. I would to like to read any instances of Kember praising Pierce, because I haven't seen any. This might be the presses fault, of course. That's why i post here, after all - It's an education :)
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Goodnightgoodnight wrote:Has he? Like you say, I've only gone on what I've read - There was something in a Captain Memphis interview that seemed rather viscious that stuck in my mind, and other little asides which seem unnecessarily rude after all these years. Of course I am willing to admit i know a lot less than some here about the intricacies of the Kember/Pierce relationship.

But yeah. I would to like to read any instances of Kember praising Pierce, because I haven't seen any. This might be the presses fault, of course. That's why i post here, after all - It's an education :)
People love to ask Pete what he thinks about Jason or some connection to that and will look for a negative comment. As he tends to be honest and answer such questions some quote will emerge that backs up the notion that Pete is in some sort of a fury with Jason. I promise you it's not true. I've talked to him on many occasions about it and he tends to simply shrug his shoulders at the idea of the feud being at the fore of his mind.

It was a in a domestic environment when I saw Pete get a little worked up at something someone said that was negative about Jason and he defended him. I even sat and listened to a Spiritualized Peel session live with Pete one time where they did a version of Walkin' With Jesus and Sean Cook runs amok with his harmonica. He found it pretty interesting although I must admit I found it a little bizarre at the time to be hearing that stuff with him.

Pete says quite a few positive things about Jason on the How The Blues CD sleeve notes and I know he really rates lots of his guitar playing and song-writing to this day. 'Lord Can You Hear Me' is a song I've heard him sing the priases for on more than one occasion.
Goodnightgoodnight
Known user

Thanks runcible. I read that story of you and Pete listening to the Peel Session before, which must have been..... a strange 6 minutes :) I didn't think Pete was bitterly hunched over his pedals cursing Jason's name after all these years, by any means, but i guess a little bit of self-control wouldn't have hurt in interviews. Not his fault if he wants to be honest about it, though.