LAGWAFIS - Elvis Version Promo CD

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

rameses
Known user

LAGWAFIS - Elvis Version Promo CD

Post by rameses »

If any one is feeling a bit flush, here's something to spend it on......

SPIRITUALIZED Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space
(Withdrawn 1997 UK 12-track advance promo CD with rare
unauthorised 'Elvis' sample DEDCD034P)
STL 85.00 / £ 85.00 :shock:
http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalo ... m=AG07D124

Whether it's worth it or not is a different matter. :?

IMO - no, but that's because I've already got one :D
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Scandalously expensive - eil are such rip-off merchants.

I'd want one of the legendary (and possibly non-existent) Mercury Music prize sets of the album in the full packaging but with the Elvis version for that sort of money....

Mind you I've NEVER seen one of those for sale!!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

'Regular' copies of the 12CD version seem to go for about that amount of money, so I would think that an 'Elvis' version would be considerably more expensive.

Does anyone know for sure if they actually exist?

If they do, I wonder how you can tell one apart from a regular version without opening it and playing the CD. (Probably a different catalogue number?).

NOW, if that is the case then what's the catalogue number? Could there be a number of people with an unopened 12CD version that is also the Elvis version, that they will never open, so they'll never know for sure?

The longer I think about this the more I'm convinced that mine is :?

NOT!
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

The one I'm talking about is just a single 5" CD, in the pill box packaging, but apparently has no catalogue number (according to Record Collector).

That lack of cat. no. is presumably the way you can tell it's different to any of the othr "elvis" versions (none of which came with any packaging) knocking about.

I really must get out more.....
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Reminiscent of the great search for the famous Golden Willie Wonka ticket
Last edited by Hedspace on Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

i've got one, but mine came out from an industry source.

someone on here posted to say they managed to pick one up from a listening post in a mvc store.

a friend of mine has one, since they were a student journalist for their uni union mag, and they were sent a cd copy to review complete with elvis sample, so there are more than just the 50 sent to the mercury music panel
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Don't want to sell it do you???

:wink:
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

sorry no.

it's that stunningly different from the original though, you can find it off the net.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Oh I've got the track, on the normal jewel case "Elvis promo" version.

I'm a sad Spiritualized completist who wants it in the Mercury Music packaging, that's all...
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

have you got the radio dedicated sampler?

andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

ps you are an utter completist, and worse than me obviously, i just pick things up as an opportunist, I gave up laying my hands on absoloutely everything post ladies and gents.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Andy,

Yep, got that, along with 147 other official (i..e not bootleg) releases at the last count....
andyblacktoo
Known user

Post by andyblacktoo »

yep you are an utter completist.....blimey.

i gave up on the official compilations.

the radio dedicated sampler took me 2 yrs to find. but cost me 25p in the end.
Hedspace
Known user

Post by Hedspace »

Last edited by Hedspace on Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I actually own a copy of this too … Ladies & Gents promo with the Elvis version on it. I got it as an advance copy in order to review it. I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay 85 pounds for it … that’s something like $150, I think. Ridiculous.
poppy
Known user

Post by poppy »

There's two different Elvis promos I think your talking about - one is the sleaveless one, the other is in a pillbox (1CD not 12). The pillbox Elvis CD is ultra rare - it only went out to Mercury Music Prize judges (which I'd forgotten about!) and label managers. Until reading that post about Record Collector I'd never known how to identify which of my two pillbox records was the Elvis one - so thanks for that posting. Indeed looking at them now, the regular pillbox one is a see-through bubble pack, while the ultra-rare one is opaque and white. Would never part with it, but what did Record Collector say it's going for?
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Record Collector says £100

I reckon that's on the low side, personally, but since I've never seen one up for sale it's hard to tell!!
rameses
Known user

Post by rameses »

poppy wrote:There's two different Elvis promos I think your talking about - one is the sleaveless one, the other is in a pillbox (1CD not 12). The pillbox Elvis CD is ultra rare - it only went out to Mercury Music Prize judges (which I'd forgotten about!) and label managers. Until reading that post about Record Collector I'd never known how to identify which of my two pillbox records was the Elvis one - so thanks for that posting. Indeed looking at them now, the regular pillbox one is a see-through bubble pack, while the ultra-rare one is opaque and white. Would never part with it, but what did Record Collector say it's going for?

So the regular one is see-thru and the rare one is opaque? Are you sure that's the right way round? I got the 1 CD pill box form HMV in a 2 for £20 offer and it's opaque :? Perhaps I should have bought two
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

I'm not sure that's the right way round either. I've got the 'standard' release and mine is opaque too. I'd put a decent wager that the Mercury Music version had the clear plastic.
ribblemanilla
Known user

Post by ribblemanilla »

One of my favourite and luckiest tune finds was LAGWAFIS with the elvis version on it. A few years ago I was in this cool really old dusty book shop killing some time looking for some cheap books. I was really broke at the time so was looking for something for a few quid. I'd never been in this shop before,jsut noticed it walking down the street. Anyway, Ididnt find anything after a while and was walking down the shop to walk out the door when I noticed a fucked up cardboard box with some CD's in it under a long table with books on it. Thought it was worth a look as I didnt find anything to read. It was full of shitty CD singles nothing of interest when I saw one CD in a single case which looked remarkably like LAGWAFIS. I picked it up and saw it was. It had no inlay card just a promo sticker with record company details. I already had the album and found the 12cd version but thought I might as well pick this up for fuck all to give to a mate or whatever. Went down to the counter to see how much it was, yer man behing the counter was whacked. Looked like he'd just woken up or just finished a bastard strength spliff. Anyway I gave him a quid for it and went home. Hadnt listened to the album in a while so lashed it on the stereo and turned the volume up to re live it. I was listening to it and nearly shat meself when I realised it was the Elvis version I was listening too!! Fucking couldnt believe I just bought it in a dodgy bookshop for one fucking euro!! What a find, makes all the years of flicking through charity shop record shelves or second hand stores wondering how many albums simple minds fucking released and did anyone still have there copies or just sell/give/throw them at all the shops I was looking for records in.
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

the last post was brilliant.

how is it that you can go to any flea market, thrift store, charity shop or garage sale and see the same fucking albums at each one??? it's total madness.

xxxshonnxxx

p/s- for me, i always see the see album it's herb alpert and the tijuana brass band. you know the one with the girl in whipped cream on the cover. every single time!!!!
Starfish
Known user

Post by Starfish »

and Bert Kampfaert, the South Pacific soundtrack, those fantastic Top Of The Pops compilations, the magic of Klaus Wunderlich, James Last and Nana Mouskari
a beautiful noise
Known user

Post by a beautiful noise »

it's a global epidemic! each country has it's own strain of it.

xxxshonnxxx
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Kenny ball
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
cyanide breathmint
Known user

Post by cyanide breathmint »

that link o the elvis version appears to be broken...anyone got a new link to this?? i really wanna hear it

whats the story behind the 'elvis sample' anyway? sorry but ive never heard of this
Jebus Sabes
Known user

Post by Jebus Sabes »

To quote from Chris' discography:

----------------------
Mixed, re-mixed, and mixed yet again. Supposedly the basic band tracks were recorded in only two weeks, but the mixing took over a year to complete. Even so, release of the album was delayed again at the last minute because of clearance problems with the lyrics to the title track. The original version of "Ladies And Gentlemen..." used a fair bit of the song "Can't Help Falling in Love", made famous by Elvis Presley and the original songwriters balked at their inclusion. Ironically, the "fools rush in" segment, which Spiritualized kept in, was actually written by Alexander Pope in his "An Essay on Criticism: Part 3" which the "Can't Help Falling In Love" songwriters originally lifted from. A last-minute remix was worked up before the official release of the album, but not before Dedicated sent out advance copies of the album.

These advance CDs with the original version of "...Floating In Space" are in a CD single case with no sleeve or details. A few copies of the 12 x 3" (with the original version) leaked out along with 50 copies of the deluxe 5" CD which were sent to label managers and the Mercury Music Prize people.

Dedicated pressed the album in a myriad of different formats. According to them, you can get the album in:

- Cassette
- Double vinyl (limited to 2000)
- CD
- Normal jewel-cased CD
- "Pill box" CD. This version comes in a cardboard "pill box" based on the packaging for prescription tablets; the cd pops out of the plastic and foil. Dedicated states that the pill box is a "unlimited format".
- Limited edition 12 x 3" CD (1000 pressed - 200 with clear plastic backing and 800 with white.) - similar to the other limited edition, but consists of each track on a seperate 3" CD.
------------------------

http://spiritualized.quartzcity.net/discography.html
cyanide breathmint
Known user

Post by cyanide breathmint »

oh my god i just heard the elvis version for the first time....i think it may top the album version. sooooo good
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

I'm new to this, and struggling. Been reading posts for a while but have only just got a pc at home. Can some kind soul please point me in the direction of a version of the elvis version of L&G that I can download? I will marry you. Thanks.
plymwhites
Known user

Post by plymwhites »

2 things ......let us know your gender, and your age .....
other than that.... welcome !!

PS...
a foto mite be useful too....
JPB
Known user

Post by JPB »

Cheeky. I'm young, but older than you. Trust me, I'm your ideal, girl, boy thing. I really need help to find this download being a message board virgin. I'm old enough, and wise enough, to have gone to the Hackney Empire Spiritualized gig.
Melmoth
Known user

Ladies And Gentelmen We Are Floating In Space

Post by Melmoth »

Got the Elvis version from Soulseek.Free....Great!