Dub reggae spectacular

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Dub reggae spectacular

Post by James T »

Hey one hey all. When I was in Barcelona a couple of months back, the RGC boys gave me a great Reggae/dub mix. I had some of the stuff already, the obvious yunno? King Tubby, Bunny Wailer, Max Romeo etc...

Anyone got any more tips? or some online mix maybe they made once upon a time? I know some of you use those online mix things. Maybe muscles can help me out here provided we can get past the banter in the other thread, who knows.

The internet is a crazy place, give it some use!
Muscles
Known user

Re: Dub reggae spectacular

Post by Muscles »

I quit smoking ganja twenty years ago James T.
So not up on the Reggae as much these days.
Runcible is the guy who knows reggae.

ASWAD
STEEL PULSE
BURNING SPEAR
FOUNDATION FLAMES
YELLOWMAN
BOB MARLEY

bout all I can remember listening to.
www.instagram.com/davidstroughter 8)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I remember that song shine by aswad, I was only a little lad then. I never started smoking the ganja, maybe now is the time to start.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

|There is a thread entitled "Dub" or something on here thats full of info.

And yes, Mark is a good source to ask...also think Bza has some input as well as natty.

I heard something the other day; it was like the Congos but wasn't...I'll have to retrace my steps as it was fuckin' ace.

B,
S.
CalTheSpaceman+
Known user

Post by CalTheSpaceman+ »

Augustus pablo - My Fave in Dub obviously along with mr lee perry

reggae - toots and the maytals, congos, mighty diamonds, marley, peter tosh

Hummm Space rock and reggae are good food for ganja i suppose :lol:
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

http://www.ideensynthese.de/spiritualiz ... lit=congos

http://www.ideensynthese.de/spiritualiz ... lit=congos

Two of the DUB threads on here...

...Oh and from last month's Wire; check out the Evolution of Dub series
http://boomkat.com/cds/308428-various-g ... b-volume-5
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

Anything by the mighty Jah Shaka.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Most of my opinions are on those threads that are linked to here.

King Tubby Meets Rockers Uptown is an instant classic and probably the best introduction I know. The Congos album is incredible but not really a dub record even though it's psychedelic as hell.

Lee Perry remains the ultimate genius here. From him:
Black Board Jungle Dub
Black Ark In Dub (unbelievably heavy this one)
Megaton Dub (vol 1 & 2)
Super Ape
Some box sets from the guy too - Lost Treasures of the Missing Ark, Arkology. These contain some vocal tracks but there's great dub here too.
A fantastic compilation - Voodooism

Also:
Tappa Zukie - In Dub
Prince Fari - Cry Tuff Dub Encounter Chapter 1 (absolutely magnificent from start to finish). Chapter 2 is excellent, Chapter 3 quite good but Chapter 4 is below par
Keith Hudson - Brand, Pick A Dub
Creation Rebel/New Age Steppers - Threat To Creation (more spaced out than you'd believe possible)
Creation Rebel - Rebel Vibrations, Dub From Creation. Starship Africa

Any dub on the superb Pressure Sounds or Blood and Fire labels are guaranteed to be good.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVAA504I

Here's some Mad Professor productions from past right up to date.

B,
S.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I've remembered what I heard; Dadawah http://www.thewire.co.uk/articles/4341/ Think you can hear Run Come Rally there and Boomkat is streaming 3 others.

Nowt like The Congos!
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Cheerz guyz. That gives me a bit to work on. Here is a gift to say thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arxhW1RgDDo
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Right time of year to revive the old dub threads - pity the blazing sunshine has gone for the meantime - good stuff Stuart for those links again...
(I think the best part may have been me and several others persuading Runcible to purchase a Primal Scream album - albeit mixed by Adrian Sherwood :D )

A couple that spring to mind since those older threads have to include:

Cedric Im Brooks & The Light of Saba - S/T

Amazing. This and the following were both based as recommendations along the lines of "if you like The Congos you'll love this..." - indeed! Really mad, not strictly true dub I guess but so worth hearing, plenty of space in the...er, spaced out mix. Stacks beautiful horns with loads of extra percussion, along with that awesome heavy bass...a real warped take on reggae, the 2nd tune in sounds like Fela Kuti! There's another song that has a big orchestral soul thing going on, a bit like Isaac Hayes... jazzy and weird.

Keith Hudson - Flesh of My Skin, Blood of My Blood

I'm also throw in this one, again probably not a strictly true 'dub' album per se but it's got to be heard. It's just monumental, and i'm gonna rip Wikipedia here...

"...(Hudson) signed up with Brent Clarke's Atra label and worked at Chalk Farm Studios in London with a number of British-based reggae musicians, overdubbing his Jamaican rhythms. The first album to emanate from these sessions was the classic Flesh of My Skin, Blood of my Blood (1975), his first UK only release and an album that has been described as "a masterpiece", and one of the first reggae albums proper, rather than merely a collection of singles and fillers. It has also been described as "reggae's first true concept album", with the lyrics relating to black history and "conscious" themes..."

I also really enjoy the music of The Crystalites. Beautiful stuff, mostly instrumentals.

I also heard for the first time earlier this year some of the Scientist albums. Meets the Space Invaders and Scientist In The Kingdom of Dub. Really love this stuff. For me, big metal heaviness abounds. Really polished stuff but heavy on echo effects. Turn it up!
runcible wrote: Black Board Jungle Dub...
Now, I have a fairly-muso query regarding the above. I wonder if the version I have of Blackboard Jungle Dub is correct?

I have it on a 3-album, 2CD set called Dub Triptych, from Trojan a few years ago. As much as I love all the music on it, the reason I purchased was to get Black Board Jungle Dub credited to Upsetters 14 Dub as I'd heard so much about it - what I notice on these tracks is that mostly they appear in one channel - the other speaker/headphone contains a fairly noisy/crackly, 'empty' track with the (very) occasional guitar or vocal appearing, so my speakers ain't fucked...

Reading about the album I understand the mix is meant to be "groundbreaking true stereo mixes with definitive channel seperation", to quote this releases sleevenotes.

To be honest on my CD it sounds as if there is a whole chunk missing most of the time - rhythm appearing hard right channel with a very faint echo on the other side! Even at big volume it still sounds weird.

Any ideas? I actually found online a download of some of the LP tracks prior to getting the CD, and to me it sounds much better. Possibly a mono version, i'll have to check, but a much fuller sound on it anyway.

Am I missing something?

Do I need to get out more???

As always, inspired by Jah feeling inside!

:D cheers
O P 8
natty
Known user

Post by natty »

BzaInSpace wrote:
Cedric Im Brooks & The Light of Saba - S/T

Amazing. This and the following were both based as recommendations along the lines of "if you like The Congos you'll love this..." - indeed! Really mad, not strictly true dub I guess but so worth hearing, plenty of space in the...er, spaced out mix. Stacks beautiful horns with loads of extra percussion, along with that awesome heavy bass...a real warped take on reggae, the 2nd tune in sounds like Fela Kuti! There's another song that has a big orchestral soul thing going on, a bit like Isaac Hayes... jazzy and weird.
That's a cool record.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Managed to get a hold of Evolution Of Dub Vol 1 http://www.discogs.com/Various-Evolutio ... se/1730421

Love the subtle, raw vibes Joe Gibbs is filtering out...

B,
S.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote:
runcible wrote: Black Board Jungle Dub...
Now, I have a fairly-muso query regarding the above. I wonder if the version I have of Blackboard Jungle Dub is correct?
what do you mean by correct? I think I have three versions..
some of the riddims/dubs have half a dozen versions and also some releases have cloak&dagger stuff and others have wailers stuff.

I have had several versions for more than twenty years and I´m still pretty confused. :roll: :lol:

some of the stuff on 14 dub aka blackboard jungle are the third "remixes" or whatever you wanna call it

as for having the backing track mixed in one channel.. yes that is the way it´s done on some early dubs..

the one you have on triptych seems to be the 14 dub which is the most well-spread/released but you can´t say they all are the "correct" versions.
dub organiser(14 dub) / moving forward ("original" bbjd/coxson release) starts with "I now present to you episode three of cloak and dagger" and this exact version already had 2-3 names in 73... confused yet? :wink:
you have "episode 1 and 2" on the cloak and dagger album also included on your triptych collection.

so to add to the confusion there are a bunch of versions and sometimes the same version have different names.

but yes, I think you have the most internationally common versions of those dubs (14 dub)
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
bbbhenko
Known user

Post by bbbhenko »

Blackboard Jungle Dub is probably one of the greatest dub albums ever... Gotta love it :)
On a side note, does anybody know anything about the title? I have always guessed it's a nod to the Blackboard Jungle movie (after all, movies usually inspired Perry in the making of album and song titles), but I have actually no idea if this is correct?