LAGWAFIS Makes Spin Top 125 Albums

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

toomilk
Known user

LAGWAFIS Makes Spin Top 125 Albums

Post by toomilk »

Spin puts it as #110 on the 125 top albums from the past 25 years. Maybe to justify using them for an anniversary show?

http://www.spin.com/spin25/125-best-alb ... t-25-years

Either way, the list is rigged, as are most things involving Spin magazine.
jadams501
Known user

Re: LAGWAFIS Makes Spin Top 125 Albums

Post by jadams501 »

Against Me! and Moby instead of A Northern Soul or Urban Hymns?

Multiple albums by Green Day and Achtung Baby instead of Perfect Prescription or Lazer Guided Melodies?

No Modern Times, Love & Theft, Time Out of Mind, or World Gone Wrong?

That list is AWFUL.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

I have 13 of the top 25 and they don´t belong that high up.. ok maybe loveless and daydream nation.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Beetlebum
Known user

Post by Beetlebum »

no definitely maybe massive bullshit.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

Let's face it - every list assembled like this is likely to meet with very mixed messages. Particularly from a forum like this one where we don't tend to consume the fodder spread among the indie rock faithful. I guess that's one of the reasons why I look at the views expressed here before any other place.

I have a few albums on this list and hardly any would actually make my own top 125.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

Beetlebum wrote:no definitely maybe massive bullshit.
Definitely Maybe is in there somewhere, if I recall.

U2 at number one? Hmm.....
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

what a shit 'how cool are we yet still traditionalist' list. actung baby is a great album but common
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

runcible wrote:Let's face it - every list assembled like this is likely to meet with very mixed messages. Particularly from a forum like this one where we don't tend to consume the fodder spread among the indie rock faithful. I guess that's one of the reasons why I look at the views expressed here before any other place.

I have a few albums on this list and hardly any would actually make my own top 125.
Good points. I don't usually make lists for the very reason in that it's impossible to really compile them properly. Even that 125--how many people are likely to have heard all 125? Some people may have heard a few, others may have heard alot, others may have heard most, but I think that really, the average person is lucky if they really connect with a few songs, let alone a few albums.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

alan_cohaul wrote:
runcible wrote:Let's face it - every list assembled like this is likely to meet with very mixed messages. Particularly from a forum like this one where we don't tend to consume the fodder spread among the indie rock faithful. I guess that's one of the reasons why I look at the views expressed here before any other place.

Good points. I don't usually make lists for the very reason in that it's impossible to really compile them properly. Even that 125--how many people are likely to have heard all 125? Some people may have heard a few, others may have heard alot, others may have heard most, but I think that really, the average person is lucky if they really connect with a few songs, let alone a few albums.
It's really hard to make lists like those that serve all the constituencies and balance aesthetic quality with people's nostalgia with what sold best with trying to make the list compilers seem cool.

I understand that Like A Rolling Stone and Blowin' In The Wind will always be the official best Dylan songs even though I don't think either would make my top 10 of his work -- BUT this list does an unusually bad job of excluding worthy albums and exalting mediocre crap.