The Telescopes - Untitled 2nd Album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

johnnyboy
Known user

The Telescopes - Untitled 2nd Album

Post by johnnyboy »

Worth paying £17 for the original Creation vinyl with inserts?

I had it at the time but always found it to be too lightweight so sold it on many years back. When I met my wife she had it on cd but that got sold amongst a big batch when we moved. Recently I've been buying some old vinyl again to replace the biggies I'd stupidly sold over the years when my mind was too young to fully appreciate them and when I'd moved onto other genres. The Telescopes have popped back onto my radar as they're playing locally to me soon and I got to thinking about the 2nd album, how it's now rated as some kind of masterpiece blah de blah.

So, any fans of it on here (there probably is) and is £17 a good price for the vinyl considering you can pick up the reissue on cd for under a tenner.......but then I'm a sucker for the old originals. Cheers.
Laz69
Known user

Re: The Telescopes - Untitled 2nd Album

Post by Laz69 »

I actually found the CD harder to track down, but i suppose thats typical when you are specifically looking for something you want. Not sure how often these appear these days, but it is a fantastic album (hugely over looked at the time) and the inserts and all that are nice. Vinyl does sound much better than the CD, so i'd go for it...
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Laz69 wrote:I actually found the CD harder to track down, but i suppose thats typical when you are specifically looking for something you want. Not sure how often these appear these days, but it is a fantastic album (hugely over looked at the time) and the inserts and all that are nice. Vinyl does sound much better than the CD, so i'd go for it...
Just been having a listen to some sound clips on the HMV site and was reminded that his voice was what made me sell it all those years back. Too weak to match the music they were trying to head towards. But the files are never great quality so may just go for it anyway for old times sake.
There's a fair amount of their stuff for sale on vinyl and cd via the Discogs site. All the Creation EP's for example. I've still got Taste, Perfect Needle, Kill A Slow Girl Walking and Precious Little in my collection but everything after that got sold. They also have videos attached to it so was just having a look at some. He was a right little Bobby Gillespie wannabe wasn't he! Haha, especially in the Everso video with his maracas and bicycle style hooped top just like BG in the Come Together vid.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

Are you talking about the one with the "play along chords" insert.

I've got one sitting here; it has a £2.99 price tag on it from whenever i bought it. I havene't played the vinyl for years (no turntable). It looks decent enough. Happy to dispatch it if you send me an empty mailer. PM if keen.

B,
S.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

The deed is done, vinyl purchased......along with a copy of Everso on 12" too. I got lured into that extra one after seeing it on there for £3.

I didn't realise with Discogs that when you add a record into your cart then you're bound into paying for it. Lesson learnt there!

From that era I'm missing the Flying EP so may pick that up at some point just to satisfy my obsessive nature. I'm def going through a period the past couple of months where I'm searching out old stuff I've got rid of previously for various reasons just so I can have it back in my collection again. It's like I want to be 20 again or something :roll:

I gave Taste a play last night. Jesus, I'd forgotten how much of a hard listen that record is. Love the Perfect Needle song and EP but the album is a bit too much. I seem to have switched round to preferring their Creation period rather than the earlier noisier stuff like I did back in the day. Looks like I got rid of the wrong Telescopes records first time round......
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Guessed wrote:Are you talking about the one with the "play along chords" insert.

I've got one sitting here; it has a £2.99 price tag on it from whenever i bought it. I havene't played the vinyl for years (no turntable). It looks decent enough. Happy to dispatch it if you send me an empty mailer. PM if keen.

B,
S.
BUGGERFUCKFUCKBUGGER!!

If only I'd known yesterday. Just transferred £17.99 by Paypal.

(bangs head repeatedly on desk)

BUGGER!!

How much would you have sold yours for? Please don't say "hey man, it's free, just give us a cuddle and call it quits".

You could bung it on ebay and make at least £15 with it, or more actually as I've not seen one go on there, just the cd reissue.
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

I would have sent it on to you gratis.

I have the flying ep. Some marks over the first and second tracks, sure they'l lift.

PM me if you're keen but you'll need to send a mailer as i'm shit at remembering to get these things. Even getting a jiffy bag is a chore for me.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

johnnyboy wrote: I gave Taste a play last night. Jesus, I'd forgotten how much of a hard listen that record is. Love the Perfect Needle song and EP but the album is a bit too much. I seem to have switched round to preferring their Creation period rather than the earlier noisier stuff like I did back in the day. Looks like I got rid of the wrong Telescopes records first time round......
I love Taste I think it's a brilliant album- was playing it the other night actually. It's certainly is a rather heavy album but it's also got enough subtle variety to keep me interested. Never got round to investigating their other stuff, but I gather they went a bit lighter and more song based?
didn't know they were still active either... only realised when someone mentioned going to see them in the gigs thread.
mh
Known user

Post by mh »

Taste was great fun, definitely an interesting listen if you came to it expecting something different!

Anybody else got the "Trademark of Quality" live LP? The versions of the songs on that are far superior, IMO, to the studio versons.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

i like how Taste opens with a really tranquil piano piece then bursts out of the speakers from then on.. it would be really fun to lend the album to someone and let them think the whole thing is like track 1.. :)

there are a couple of tracks from 'Trademark of Quality' as bonus tracks on my CD of Taste- wouldn't say they were hugely different to be honest.
JohnR
New user

Post by JohnR »

Lately, I've been rediscovering this band, and this album in particular. Does anyone here have access to a setlist from one of their concerts circa 1992? I'm really curious to see what they were including in their set during this time period, and if they acknowledged or ignored the Taste-era recordings.
My friends call me Jack.
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

JohnR wrote:Does anyone here have access to a setlist from one of their concerts circa 1992?
I recorded several sets from 1991.
In fact i recorded several sets from 1990 & 1989 as well as obtaining tapes of sets from 1988 and some four track demos.

Really funny this thread has been reactivated as i have a relevant story.
Went to see a band in Birmingham on Sunday night... was chatting to the singer before the gig... she mentioned that the drummer had been in a shoegaze era band and after fluffing the first attempt at naming them she was able to draw the information from the back of her mind: "he was in The Telescopes". My response was along the lines of "Fuckadoodle do! they were one of my favourite bands of that era". Thirty seconds later i was chatting to him. Half an hour later i was still chatting to him.
And as a result of that conversation i spent a rainy bank holiday Monday digitizing some live sets to forward to him.
On the link below you should be able to download
ULU October 1989
and
Reading Festival August 1990.
http://we.tl/ijc6Bu8VXA
Please let me know if this works.

The Reading set list reads:
All of a Dreams
Precious Little
Everso (our new single for the 1990s)
Never Hurt You
Perfect Needle
Mother of Pearl
Oil Seed Rape
Suicide

The last time i saw them in that incarnation was at Windsor Old Trout, 18th September 1991
And that set comprised:
Kick the Wall
Celeste
Everso
UltraViolet
Splash Down
Flying
High On Fire
The Sleep Walk
?
The Perfect Needle
?

A tape from The Venue, New Cross dated 29th June 1991 doesn't have a complete setlist which may well indicate that at the time i wasn't familiar with some of the tracks. The titles that are listed include:
Kick the Wall
To Kill A Slow Girl Walking
The Prefect Needle
Celeste
Everso

I have a set list (but no recording) from July 1990 (from a tour in support of Precious Little). Although I have no intention of digging it out i can tell you that the set included both Mother of Pearl and Sleepwalk as well as Taste tracks. I particularity remember Sleepwalk from that gig. I always considered Sleepwalk as the midway point - i'm sure you know what i mean.

I'd like to think that i have one of the best collections of live recordings by The Telescopes in my postcode.
As to what they might have played in 1992 - I Cannot Be Sure that they actually played any gigs in 1992. I didn't see any. But one thing is for sure, based on my extensive experience of seeing them live is that they were never afraid to introduce plenty of new stuff all the time so perhaps the September 1991 set is the closest to an "Untitled 2" set you're likely to get.

Dominic Dillon's current band is called The Roz Bruce Infusion and they are very good.
Last edited by plastic37 on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

the ULU 6th October 1989 set list reads:
I Fall She Screamed
Sadness Pale
The Perfect Needle
7th Hash Tag :wink: Disaster
Threadbare
Violence
Oil Seed Rape
Kick The Wall
There is No Floor
Nothing
Suicide

Headline band was Primal Scream. It was a Friday night. I was wearing my new 7th Sharp Disaster tshirt and it was in the early hours of the next morning that i heard the Syd Barrett lp Opel for the first time.
Although they often swapped opening numbers Sadness Pale remained as the second track for a while and it worked so well.
Heavy Tourism
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

Nice. Will check out later when im at my computer. Would love to hear the demos

What was the band?
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

burningwheel wrote:What was the band?
Dom's new band is The Roz Bruce Infusion http://www.rozbruceinfusion.co.uk/
Three piece, female voice, great guitar - she sings with a Midlands accent. They've got a gig coming up with Space Ritual and that's a very suitable support slot for them. They were good.

As well as numerous fascinating tales Dom also told me about a band called Sunhouse which he played in with Robert Brookes. They have some stuff on YouTube http://youtu.be/VEDc3hhYEgk
Heavy Tourism
plastic37
Known user

Post by plastic37 »

burningwheel wrote:Would love to hear the demos
Soz, I'm not digitizing the demos. They are really rough. Not bad, there's magic there, lots of it - it's just that they are very very early/lowest tech/3rd generation copies and i don't feel its my place to scatter them far and wide. Stephen could probably do his own "How the Blues Should've Turned Out" type thing anyway so its really not right for me to broadcast them. Of course i can tell you about them and maybe i will at some point. I love talking about The Telescopes!
Heavy Tourism
JohnR
New user

Post by JohnR »

plastic37 wrote:I recorded several sets from 1991.
Thanks so much for posting your info! I'm not certain they actually toured in support of the second album either. I did see a comment somewhere that they toured in 1993 with all new material, but that might not be a true story.
My friends call me Jack.
spunder
Known user

Post by spunder »

plastic37 wrote:
JohnR wrote:Does anyone here have access to a setlist from one of their concerts circa 1992?
I recorded several sets from 1991.
In fact i recorded several sets from 1990 & 1989 as well as obtaining tapes of sets from 1988 and some four track demos.

Really funny this thread has been reactivated as i have a relevant story.
Went to see a band in Birmingham on Sunday night... was chatting to the singer before the gig... she mentioned that the drummer had been in a shoegaze era band and after fluffing the first attempt at naming them she was able to draw the information from the back of her mind: "he was in The Telescopes". My response was along the lines of "Fuckadoodle do! they were one of my favourite bands of that era". Thirty seconds later i was chatting to him. Half an hour later i was still chatting to him.
And as a result of that conversation i spent a rainy bank holiday Monday digitizing some live sets to forward to him.
On the link below you should be able to download
ULU October 1989
and
Reading Festival August 1990.
http://we.tl/ijc6Bu8VXA
Please let me know if this works.

The Reading set list reads:
All of a Dreams
Precious Little
Everso (our new single for the 1990s)
Never Hurt You
Perfect Needle
Mother of Pearl
Oil Seed Rape
Suicide

The last time i saw them in that incarnation was at Windsor Old Trout, 18th September 1991
And that set comprised:
Kick the Wall
Celeste
Everso
UltraViolet
Splash Down
Flying
High On Fire
The Sleep Walk
?
The Perfect Needle
?

A tape from The Venue, New Cross dated 29th June 1991 doesn't have a complete setlist which may well indicate that at the time i wasn't familiar with some of the tracks. The titles that are listed include:
Kick the Wall
To Kill A Slow Girl Walking
The Prefect Needle
Celeste
Everso

I have a set list (but no recording) from July 1990 (from a tour in support of Precious Little). Although I have no intention of digging it out i can tell you that the set included both Mother of Pearl and Sleepwalk as well as Taste tracks. I particularity remember Sleepwalk from that gig. I always considered Sleepwalk as the midway point - i'm sure you know what i mean.

I'd like to think that i have one of the best collections of live recordings by The Telescopes in my postcode.
As to what they might have played in 1992 - I Cannot Be Sure that they actually played any gigs in 1992. I didn't see any. But one thing is for sure, based on my extensive experience of seeing them live is that they were never afraid to introduce plenty of new stuff all the time so perhaps the September 1991 set is the closest to an "Untitled 2" set you're likely to get.

Dominic Dillon's current band is called The Roz Bruce Infusion and they are very good.
WOAH! thanks for this ... i flippin LOVED that 2nd *Untitled* album... i'm going to dig it out after i have listened to this lot.
cheers,
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

Telescopes tour:

September
07th. The Shacklewell Arms. London. England.
11th. Sabotage Club. Lisbon. Portugal.
12th. Reverence Festival. Portugal.
13th. Latta Da Zinc. Oviedo. Spain.
14th. Barcelos. Portugal.
27th. The Green Room. Minneapolis. USA.

October
01st. Leo’s Music Club. Oakland. USA.
02nd. Bricks and Mortar. San Francisco. USA.
03rd. Desert stars. Pioneer Town. Joshua Tree. USA.
08th - 18th. European tour. More info soon..
31st. Entrepôt. Arlon. Belgium.

November
01st. Magasin4. Bruxelles. Belgium.
06th. 93 feet east. London. England.
13th. The Workman’s Club. Dublin. Ireland.
14th. Dolans. Limerick. Ireland.
15th. The Crane Lane Theatre. Cork. Ireland.
29th. The Flapper. Birmingham. England.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Dublin, nice one. Never seen The Telescopes so will definitely be hitting this.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five