Alan Lomax Field Recordings Southern Journey 1959-1960 LPs

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

spzretent
Site Admin

Alan Lomax Field Recordings Southern Journey 1959-1960 LPs

Post by spzretent »

Damn are these good. New Mississippi Records releases. 5 of them. Damn!
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
marcvolta
Known user

Re: Alan Lomax Field Recordings Southern Journey 1959-1960 L

Post by marcvolta »

Is it me or has Mississippi been releasing way too many records lately. I can't keep up. It is killing me. there was a point where i had all of the releases except 2 12"s and the tapes. They are like Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all.... :(
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

These are the most recent 5. I think they were just released.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

:shock:

Sounds amazing! On the 'to buy' list...
O P 8
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

are they record only? i couldn't find them on amazon as cds
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm pretty sure Mississippi Records is vinyl-only.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm pretty sure Mississippi Records is vinyl-only.
marketing wise that seems shoot yourself in the foot silly. o kids dig these records- sorry they are only for connoisseurs with record players. these kind of records should be made available everywhere to try to infiltrate the mainstream and all the kids who are out there wishing there was music of substance to get their teeth into
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mississippi Records dont give a shit about marketing. In fact they are not very easy to deal with. But its worth it for me to have these releases in my shop. I like the people who are into this music and they appreciate our stocking it.
They release stuff they love in limited numbers. Sell the pressing out and move on. On rare occasions they re-press something.
And if you think this business model is flawed they also had a cassette only series.
On the digital side I would think most of these releases are on the internet somewhere. For either purchase or theft.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

spzretent wrote:Mississippi Records dont give a shit about marketing. In fact they are not very easy to deal with. But its worth it for me to have these releases in my shop. I like the people who are into this music and they appreciate our stocking it.
They release stuff they love in limited numbers. Sell the pressing out and move on. On rare occasions they re-press something.
And if you think this business model is flawed they also had a cassette only series.
On the digital side I would think most of these releases are on the internet somewhere. For either purchase or theft.
part of me respects that but i'm the cd generation and for me how some people feel about vinyl is how i feel about cds. they are the type of cd i'd love to have on the shelf along side my harry smith collection, velvet box set, mozart box set so i can pull it out and go to people 'hey you like these others, dig this!'

i wish there was a shop like yours here just so i could go and look at the records and maybe buy one purely to guility sneak it on my shelf with my maggie's farm 7 inch, francoise hardy and leopnard cohen :oops: :D
Attachments
hardy.jpg
hardy.jpg (13.25 KiB) Viewed 3149 times
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

ah she's beautiful :D
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Hi,
Does anyone have any links of where I can buy these? Can't seem to find them anywhere. What about your store, Spzretent? How much for all 5 sent to the UK?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

no purchase or download links, but this blog has some good info
http://kicktokill.blogspot.com/2010/05/alan-lomax.html

From 1978 to 1985 Alan Lomax traveled the American South and Southwest with a television crew to document regional folklore with deep historical roots. From the resulting 500 hours of footage Lomax wrote, produced, directed, and narrated five one-hour documentary films focused on African American, Appalachian, and Cajun music and dance:

Appalachian Journey
Cajun Country
Dreams and Songs of the Noble Old
Jazz Parades: Feet Don't Fail Me Now
The Land Where the Blues Began

LP info:
http://www.twitteringmachines.com/2010/ ... i-records/
more:
http://ghostcapital.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... dings.html
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

Bunnyben -- love your signature. One of my favorite Dylan tunes from any era.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Mustard wrote:Hi,
Does anyone have any links of where I can buy these? Can't seem to find them anywhere. What about your store, Spzretent? How much for all 5 sent to the UK?
We just got 2 copies each of the 5 Alan Lomax records back in. As well as a few other MR LPs.
They are $15 each. I will have to weigh them and get you the postage. If I can keep the parcel under 4 pounds in weight postage should be $25 -ish. If we go over 4 pounds postage starts at $43 but there is insurance included that way. Priority International.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

jadams501 wrote:Bunnyben -- love your signature. One of my favorite Dylan tunes from any era.
thank you :D not many people i tell the quote to understand it. have you seen 'the gunfighter' the film the song is supposedly based on?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

No way I can keep the parcel under 4 pounds so the postage will be $43 which will include insurance and tracking.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

Mustard wrote:Hi,
By the power of Google I give you Honest Jons http://www.honestjons.com/shop.php?LabelID=15593 all £11.99 each.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Cheers, Johnnyboy, they were the first place I looked but due to some sort of blip the Lomax series just didn't appear, nor could I search by labels. Tried again last-night and up they all popped. So, now ordered and eagerly anticipated.

Spzretent - thanks for your reply, really appreciate it. Amazing how even with $40 postage, your total price isn't that much more than Honest Johns.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Its because they still have to be shipped from The US to the UK. Freight, weight its sucks. I ordered 5 copies of Aliens Luna on vinyl for my shop and the postage from the Uk here was 28 quid. Its exactly the same.
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

So then, what's the score with these 5 albums? Is each one a different theme/genre/sound/whatever? Can't see any sub headings on that Honest Jon's site that'd indicate what the album contains. I like the old style gospel sounds, like that Fire In My Bones comp a while back which I find a great source of joy (cheers for sending me that, you know who!) so if any of these records are similar then I'll be getting down to the shop for a purchase.
nicholab
New user

Post by nicholab »

The 5 volumes appear to be curated with the casual listener in mind. Each album flows nicely between many of the various artists & styles that Lomax in his travels. None are themed according to genre or particular area, beyond that of folk in the American South. I put up vinyl rips of the first 3 on my blog: http://ghostcapital.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... dings.html, as Mississippi Records is a vinyl only label that could care less about mp3's. But, it turns out that the Lomax Archive will be offering download of these collections for purchase. This collection was a joint effort between the archive and Mississippi, and it was Nathan Salsburg- who compiled the selections- who asked me (very nicely) to take down the DL links. I was happy to oblige.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

Records turned up this morning. Nice big package to enjoy - 'just the 3 records, love'. Yet to listen to them so can't really comment on how many are old style gospel but I hope there is a lot. From the initial reading of one of the books there could be a few at least. I guess someone else could give you a better idea. As usual with Mississippi releases they feel satisfying to own. Can't recommend Honest Johns enough. I usually buy at least 3-4 LP's at a time and find that when you phone instead of using website they always reduce the postage. This time they don't seem to have charged any postage at all.

Alan - good luck on your shop. I really envy what you've done and if I hadn't have ordered the night before I would've bought through yourself. I had thought of trying to open something similar near where I live as I think a small shop like yours might make a living around here. It has been a bit of a dream but with the likelyhood of redundancy looming (Yeah!) there is an outside chance of it becoming a reality.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Well good luck. Follow your dreams. The world needs more shops like these. People around here seem to be so happy someplace is carrying these lps. They usually go out the door 5 at a time..
I followed my dream in 1983 and that shop lasted 13 years.
Hopefully this run will be longer. Especially since the shop is 80% t shirts and the profit margin is much higher than records. The vinyl section grows a little every week. We have a food, art and music festival outside our front door for the next 4 days. It brings in over 500,000 people. So hopefully many shirts and records will sell. Never been in the middle of one of these festivals. Should be good.
Mustard
Known user

Post by Mustard »

It must also be quite a nice place to work. Surrounded by merch that you have an interest in. The selling of t-shirts, some retro clothing along with old-school trainers. Vinyl only music section, counterculture items of books, posters etc and if poss a cafe/coffeeshop, if space & regulations can be overcome. I have had this sort of idea for a while, well before Borders, Waterstones started using the format in their stores. It could all turn out a bit of a pipe-dream but is worth the research. The area has a high-student population, large arts scene, festivals and as it is kind of stuck out on it's own is the only draw for shopping etc for a long way in any direction. I am in a job I never wanted to go back to, have a trade learnt to supplement the income in the short-term,and redundancy could've come at just the right time.

The festival sounds like fun as well as a money spinner. Good luck.