Swans - My Father will guide me up a rope to the sky

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

nickh
Known user

Swans - My Father will guide me up a rope to the sky

Post by nickh »

Not a name I have ever really seen mentioned on this board so I don’t know how much interest this will generate. I am really excited about this though, Swans are releasing a new album after 12/13 years. I can’t say I am a big fan of the earlier records (although there is some great stuff) but Burning World/White Light from the Mouth of Infinity was an especially good period.

Check here: http://www.swans.pair.com/
http://www.myspace.com/swansaredead
Horrorflick
Known user

Re: Swans - My Father will guide me up a rope to the sky

Post by Horrorflick »

I've been a huge fan for a long time. Swans tend to gravitate towards the goth/industrial crowd. I used to be into that a long time ago. (I think a few of us might have been!) Whatever the genre, Michael Gira and Jarboe are both incredible songwriters. I'm looking forward!
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I'm curious about this band. Anyone care to either hook me up with something to start or at least point me in the direction of a good album?
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I really like Greed. It's more of their goth/industrial stuff, but it's so miserable and dark that it makes me happy. Good stuff.
purespace
Known user

Post by purespace »

Swans have always held a dark spot in my heart. M. Gira's book of short stories, The Consumer, is right up there with Cows. I might check Swans out when they roll through Detroit, though seeing bands from that period in this day and age has turned to regret and horror (i.e. Sisters of Mercy, et.al.)
I think I feel it coming on
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

purespace wrote:Swans have always held a dark spot in my heart. M. Gira's book of short stories, The Consumer, is right up there with Cows. I might check Swans out when they roll through Detroit, though seeing bands from that period in this day and age has turned to regret and horror (i.e. Sisters of Mercy, et.al.)
I saw Swans when they were here almost 15 (!!!) years ago. They have always reminded me of Spiritualized live because they never just do songs like they are on the record. Michael Gira is an incredible talent who surrounds himself with musicians whom he feels can help his music develop and grow. Jarboe has always been one of my favorite female vocalists too.
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

TheWarmth wrote:I'm curious about this band. Anyone care to either hook me up with something to start or at least point me in the direction of a good album?
Burning World, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Omniscience were the three that really made an impression for me.
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Children of God
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

davedecay wrote:Children of God
+1

Never seen anything quite like the show they did at the Town & Country around this time. It was so loud and uncompromising, and that was also the era when Gira rarely finished the show with any clothes on.

A mate of mine taped it and a few months later we were discussing the bootleg he made; I mentioned that the last song went a little bit quieter, and he reminded me that he was outside the venue in the street by that point!!

There was talk that people standing near the speakers at the Edinburgh show actually vomited because of the bass frequencies involved...
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Greeny wrote:
+1

Never seen anything quite like the show they did at the Town & Country around this time. It was so loud and uncompromising, and that was also the era when Gira rarely finished the show with any clothes on.

A mate of mine taped it and a few months later we were discussing the bootleg he made; I mentioned that the last song went a little bit quieter, and he reminded me that he was outside the venue in the street by that point!!

There was talk that people standing near the speakers at the Edinburgh show actually vomited because of the bass frequencies involved...
I would have loved to have been at the T+C show.

I saw them for the first time around 6 months later at the Mean Fiddler and they played a lot of Children of God songs, just a little quieter. Michael Gira kept his trousers on too. Songs like Trust Me and New Mind sounded really sinister played on acoustic guitar. I saw them on the Burning World tour too at Kilburn and a few weeks later at Reading festival.

I prefer the later records but the earlier industrial stuff has it’s moments, I am particularly keen on songs like Freak and A Screw, some of it is almost unlistenable though which I would imagine was the whole point.

I would have to vote for The Burning World as my favourite. I have a treasured copy I got from the Swans website a few years ago with a couple of extra songs on it and a handmade sleeve signed by Jarboe and Michael Gira.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My local record store has made it their album of the week. Sounds good:-

http://www.resident-music.com/2010/09/1 ... mber-2010/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

nickh wrote:
Greeny wrote:
+1

I would have loved to have been at the T+C show.

I saw them for the first time around 6 months later at the Mean Fiddler and they played a lot of Children of God songs, just a little quieter. Michael Gira kept his trousers on too. Songs like Trust Me and New Mind sounded really sinister played on acoustic guitar.
I was at that MF show as well. Totally different experience to the Town & Country. Best bit was the opening, when Jarboe came out, struck a drone note on her keyboard then went off again. That note persisted for what seemed like ages (it was certainly several minutes), and it just got the crowd going crazy! The band then came out and that drone note became the opening to Blood on Your Hands. Top, top gig moment!

I've just bought the album, and decided I am going to Brighton to see them.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Quite an interesting review on the Needledrop website. Does anyone else follow this guy on YouTube or Facebook? I quite like the style of his reviews. :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7LyYAx3bpU
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
ericdbn
Known user

Post by ericdbn »

I've been a fan of Swans since '91; just picked up the new album and it's fantastic. Michael Gira's band The Angels of Light is amazing, as well - just as good if not better than his work with Swans. I've always been partial to the White Light/Love of Life era of Swans, but Children of God gives you both the brutal side and the beautiful side of their sound. Can't wait to see them in Chicago on October 5th.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Got this yesterday and I think it's incredible. Definitely has a Children of God feel with the acoustic/brutal dissonance dichotomy present (but to a much lesser degree than CoG). I think a lot of Spiritualized fans would like it because the songs have lots of instruments doing lots of different things - LAGWAFIS feel. Very well recorded too. Gira's voice sounds great.
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

Unfortunately, Jarboe is neither on the CD or playing live with Swans, looking fwd to seeing them in NYC in 2 weeks though!!!
Horrorflick
Known user

Post by Horrorflick »

ghetto_defendant wrote:Unfortunately, Jarboe is neither on the CD or playing live with Swans, looking fwd to seeing them in NYC in 2 weeks though!!!
Why not? Did they split or something?
ghetto_defendant
Known user

Post by ghetto_defendant »

Horrorflick wrote:
ghetto_defendant wrote:Unfortunately, Jarboe is neither on the CD or playing live with Swans, looking fwd to seeing them in NYC in 2 weeks though!!!
Why not? Did they split or something?
yeah, think they split about 10 years ago :shock:
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I listened to the first half of this album this morning. Not quite sure what all the fuss is about. I didn't hear anything that really blew me away, but I will keep listening.
Greeny
Known user

Post by Greeny »

Saw them in Brighton last night. It was bloody fantastic. Gira looks a lot healthier in real life than those ghastly publicity shots, and he was still giving it the big licks on stage, too.

It was loud, but not silly. Loud enough to be Swans and none of the acoustic stuff from the album. Just thundering bass and drums with that relentlessness that is a Gira trademark. Wonderful drone start that really reminded me of the Mean Fiddler gig too (see my previous post for details).

Hope they do another UK tour because I'd definitely see them again. Anyone in London who is wavering should get a ticket, even though it's in evil Koko.

9/10
ononist
Known user

Post by ononist »

Ta off to rubbish Koko tonight.
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

@Greeny

Excellent.

Good to hear they have still got it and especially good to hear that from a Swans veteran too. That Mean Fiddler show seems an awful long time ago but can pin point that night to a real turning point in changing my expectations of a live show and where music can go.

@Ononist

How was Koko?