Dirtbombs! Recommendations etc.

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

a beautiful noise
Known user

Dirtbombs! Recommendations etc.

Post by a beautiful noise »

ha ha the dirtbombs, just got their latest cd over the weekend, what a treat. for all of the uninittiated, the dirtbombs kick up the dirt in the vein of MC5, T. Rex, The Stooges. all with an added buzz you can't hear anywhere else. you can defo see jason as being a big fan. they fucking rock!!

xxxshonnxxx
ash
Known user

Post by ash »

Jason once told me a story about being on tour somewhere in Europe, hearing that the Dirtbombs were playing in the UK, leaving the tour bus to hop on a plane, fly home to see the gig, then fly back to Europe to rejoin the tour. Now *that's* dedication...
purespace
Known user

Re: Dirtbombs! Recommendations etc.

Post by purespace »

I was friends with Pat Pantano (Dirtbombs drummer) back in college. We both spun records at the Oakland University radio station circa 1986-1987. He's become quite an accomplished photographer. The early White Stripes album covers are his shots.
I think I feel it coming on
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

Does anybody have any recommendations on Dirtbombs albums as a starting point, i'd be interested to listen to some?
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

JakeCardigan wrote:Does anybody have any recommendations on Dirtbombs albums as a starting point, i'd be interested to listen to some?
Probably Ultraglide in Black. It's a cover album of funk and soul songs. It's the only album of theirs that blows my mind every time I listen to it. Two basses on "Got to Give it Up"? Fuggetaboutit.
JakeCardigan
Known user

Post by JakeCardigan »

toomilk wrote:
JakeCardigan wrote:Does anybody have any recommendations on Dirtbombs albums as a starting point, i'd be interested to listen to some?
Probably Ultraglide in Black. It's a cover album of funk and soul songs. It's the only album of theirs that blows my mind every time I listen to it. Two basses on "Got to Give it Up"? Fuggetaboutit.
Thanks for the tip, I have heard their track "Ode to a black man" which was on those amazing J Spaceman, Bobby Gillespie and Spacemen 3 comps that someone posted the download link for a while back

Have ordered the Ultraglide in Black album and found some live shows on Archive.org so will check those out
[url]http://adventuresinthesoundscape.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.mixcloud.com/adventuresinthesoundscape/[/url]
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

Seconding (thirding?) the recommendations for the Dirtbombs' Ultraglide in Black. Coincidentally, I saw Ko Melina from the Dirtbombs at the afterparty for the Spz. Radio City show.
Fede77
Known user

Post by Fede77 »

Dirtbombs were born like a single and EP and when we talk about Dirtbombs I usually say that the most important album of them and one of my favourite ever is "If you don't already have a look". It is a double cd: the first is a collection of singles, there are 29 songs very very "garage-blues-soul" and of course very shorts. The second is a collection of covers (23 songs!) they've done during the years, most of them are from bands that I don't know. These covers were played very garage!
Like us, first of all Mick Collins is a collector of LP, EP, CD so with this album he did what everyone wait from an artist: a collections of rough songs that you need for knowing very well a band.
The second important thing is the booklet: al lot of pages in which you find the introduction of the album, a lot of photos of the band, the covers of the singles, an for each songs a comment of the players: sometimes very interesting, useful and funny.

Listen to me: this is an album full of songs and you put in your player everyday
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

I think We Have You Surrounded is a great album - some mental stuff on there!
Dangerous Magical Noise is superb as well.

Jake, I think you can safely buy anything by the Dirtbombs and you won't be disappointed. :D
O P 8
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I'm going to doff my cap towards Ultraglide In Black as well. Mighty fine album! I haven't played it for sometime so thanks to this thread I shall rectify that asap.

Great 9/10 review of it here http://www.guypetersreviews.com/dirtbombs.php