Essential Spz/Sp3 Boots

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

jadams501
Known user

Essential Spz/Sp3 Boots

Post by jadams501 »

I've never been much of a collector of Sp3 or Spz boots, since it's seemed that for the most part there's enough officially released material to cover the live side of those bands.

I don't think I've really listened to any Sp3 bootleg, at least after Live 1989 was officially released, and for Spz I rarely venture beyond the 1994 Worthing Pier show, Magasinet-Goteberg 2-5-93, the 2001 XFM session, Toronto 2004, and some of the acoustic radio sessions.

Am I missing a lot? Are there are MUST-HAVE shows that need to be part of my rotation? What are the most essential Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized bootlegs out there floating around?
angelsighs
Known user

Re: Essential Spz/Sp3 Boots

Post by angelsighs »

Hi jadams- there is a similar thread here:

http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... f=2&t=8835

the one I keep going back to is Meltdown from 1998.

I'd appreciate some guidance on Sp3 boots myself too, I have only briefy dipped my toe in there. what I want is a good quality recording of them in full heavy/bludgeoning mode. I've got 'Performance' but the mastering is so flat (unlike, weirdly, the brilliant live songs on the 2cd PWF which are apparantly from the same gig).
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The Sp3 recording from the Rose Club in Koln from February 1988 is devastating. The versions of Little Doll and O.D. Catastrophe followed by the encore of Come Together (played for the 2nd time that night) are totally awesome. Some funny banter between the audience and Pete K too. This is from the same tour as Performance.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I have a decent boot/video of S3 from May 1989 in Enger, W. Germany. Some very heavy strobe action on it and decent performances. I think I may also have something from Amsterdam (same tour?). As they never toured the USA these videos are the closest I have come to seeing S3.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

jadams501 wrote:, Magasinet-Goteberg 2-5-93,
Göteborg or Gothenburg (internationally) are the only official names.. :wink:

I only have about 30 spz boots/not officially released recordings but this is one of the best.
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

runcible wrote:The Sp3 recording from the Rose Club in Koln from February 1988 is devastating. The versions of Little Doll and O.D. Catastrophe followed by the encore of Come Together (played for the 2nd time that night) are totally awesome. Some funny banter between the audience and Pete K too. This is from the same tour as Performance.
is this the bootleg entitled "All Fucked Up" ?
davedecay
Known user

Post by davedecay »

Kassell 1988 is allegedly a soundboard, i have it in FLAC - sounds pretty good.
Just passing this along from one of the trees on the Spiritualized messageboard so that it can spread outside UK more easily. Definitely one of the good ones.. EQ may improve it but the quality is high enough to make all of that subjective.
Soundforge used after cdr in lineage to edit out the silence between songs that some burning progs add by default.

soundboard > ? > cdr(x2) > flac

Spot, Kassel, Germany.

May 7, 1988.

Soundboard, A-. 76m.

1. Rollercoaster
2. Transparent Radiation
3. Things'll Never Be The Same
4. Take Me To The Other Side
5. Starship
6. Revolution
7. Suicide
8. Bo Diddley Jam
9. Mary-Anne
10. Revolution

thanks to spaceline and others.
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

davedecay wrote:Kassell 1988 is allegedly a soundboard, i have it in FLAC - sounds pretty good.
Just passing this along from one of the trees on the Spiritualized messageboard so that it can spread outside UK more easily. Definitely one of the good ones.. EQ may improve it but the quality is high enough to make all of that subjective.
Soundforge used after cdr in lineage to edit out the silence between songs that some burning progs add by default.

Spot, Kassel, Germany.

May 7, 1988.

Soundboard, A-. 76m.

1. Rollercoaster
2. Transparent Radiation
5. Starship
6. Revolution
7. Suicide
8. Bo Diddley Jam
9. Mary-Anne
10. Revolution

...this was being traded on the board as a cdr years ago.. unfortunately the one I´ve got was mp3-sourced.
..so if anyone plans to trade or share it with ppl who care about that, then you might wanna look at it in an analyser even if it is a cdr or flac.
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

Kurious Oranj wrote:is this the bootleg entitled "All Fucked Up" ?
Yes, but there are much better recordings than the one on that CD.
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

Ian wrote:
Kurious Oranj wrote:is this the bootleg entitled "All Fucked Up" ?
Yes, but there are much better recordings than the one on that CD.
where might one find these? 8)
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

As far as essential Spiritualized bootlegs go I'd still rate any I mentioned in the previous thread, link from Angelsighs above.

Edinburgh Acoustic Mainline 2006 remains hallowed ground. :D

Another great one is Rosklide Festival 1998 - a late gig from the Ladies & Gentlemen... band. Super-fast take of Electricty, and mostly the music sounds like it's made by psychedelic robots! Awesome, and in really smooth FM-radio soundboard style.

The link I put on the old thread appears to still be working :

http://thedrugsareworking.blogspot.com/ ... as-tx.html

Heavy-Jazz-Space-Rock Amazing Grace show with some killer moments.

Have to mention the Glasgow ABC and London Roundhouse gigs from the last part of the A&E tour...again. Excellent.

And of course the recent New York show. Un-bloody-believable. :shock:
O P 8
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

BzaInSpace wrote: Another great one is Rosklide Festival 1998 - a late gig from the Ladies & Gentlemen... band. Super-fast take of Electricty, and mostly the music sounds like it's made by psychedelic robots! Awesome, and in really smooth FM-radio soundboard style.
I was in the first row screaming like a little girl... the most aggressive spz I´ve seen.
but I rate the roskilde 1993 gig higher - probably because I was less of a fan, it was more of a revelation...
good dope/good fun
Known user

Post by good dope/good fun »

scratch wrote:
davedecay wrote:Kassell 1988 is allegedly a soundboard, i have it in FLAC - sounds pretty good.

Spot, Kassel, Germany.

May 7, 1988.

Soundboard, A-. 76m.

1. Rollercoaster
2. Transparent Radiation
5. Starship
6. Revolution
7. Suicide
8. Bo Diddley Jam
9. Mary-Anne
10. Revolution

...this was being traded on the board as a cdr years ago.. unfortunately the one I´ve got was mp3-sourced.
..so if anyone plans to trade or share it with ppl who care about that, then you might wanna look at it in an analyser even if it is a cdr or flac.
Sendspace?
sonic124
Known user

Post by sonic124 »

Anal retent that i am should point out the Kassel gig is from 89 and not 88. There is a couple of good sounding gigs from 89 floating about Copenhagen barbue Dornbirn Speilboden and Thun Cafe Mokka but i prefer them 87 early 88 ones :D
SpaceLine
Known user

Post by SpaceLine »

worthington 1994. hands down

1998 san diego show is great too
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

There were two Glastonbury boots that I had, on my old MP3 that gave up the ghost a while ago, that I really enjoyed listening to.....think they were 1998 and 2000? Might be wrong about that though. One had a superb version of Out of Sight on it, Oh Happy Day was on one of them and there was definitely a version of Take Me to the Other Side seaguing into the desert section of Cop Shoot Cop on one of them. Saying that, my memory is shot to pieces these days and I might have got all of this wrong?! :?

The Gothenberg and Worthing Pier shows are both great too and I really loved some of the more recent boots such as the Edinburgh acoustic mainlines, and some of the A & E and Ladies & Gents shows. I've always rated the official live stuff they've released very highly; Fucked Up Inside, Live At RAH, the Let It Flow and Electricity B sides. We could definitely do with some newer official recordings though as has often been mentioned in other threads.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Ian
Known user

Post by Ian »

SpaceLine wrote:worthington 1994. hands down
The place is called Worthing, not Worthington. It was my first Spiritualized gig, and was held at the end of a pier. Stereolab supported. Not a bad introduction!
I have a passion sweet Lord...
http://www.spacemen3.co.uk
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

that gig must have blown your mind Ian! how big is the venue out of interest?
Ads wrote:There were two Glastonbury boots that I had, on my old MP3 that gave up the ghost a while ago, that I really enjoyed listening to.....think they were 1998 and 2000? Might be wrong about that though. One had a superb version of Out of Sight on it, Oh Happy Day was on one of them and there was definitely a version of Take Me to the Other Side seaguing into the desert section of Cop Shoot Cop on one of them. Saying that, my memory is shot to pieces these days and I might have got all of this wrong?! :?
close- it's 1998 and 2002. The former has Oh Happy Day, and the latter TMTTOS>Desert. two more very good boots. both are good representations of their era.
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

San Diego 1998 is incredible. Definitely up there with Gothenburg and Kassel. The Sp3 Barbue boot is really good too. I believe it is the show that's on the bomp "Spacemen are GO!" and space age's "live in europe 1989" cds, the latter containing mastering and liner notes by Chris Barrus...

I would even say the Radio City Music Hall bootleg is an essential. It was an incredible show!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

toomilk wrote:San Diego 1998 is incredible. Definitely up there with Gothenburg and Kassel...
I completely agree. The insane free-metal-jazz stuff going on in that show is unbelievable - the only bootleg that comes close to ferocity of moments on the Live at the Albert Hall... album.
O P 8
Chris Barrus
Known user

Post by Chris Barrus »

toomilk wrote:San Diego 1998 is incredible. Definitely up there with Gothenburg and Kassel. The Sp3 Barbue boot is really good too. I believe it is the show that's on the bomp "Spacemen are GO!" and space age's "live in europe 1989" cds, the latter containing mastering and liner notes by Chris Barrus...

I would even say the Radio City Music Hall bootleg is an essential. It was an incredible show!
I'm sure I've written about this before, but I still have vivid memories of that Spiritualized show... I was working in Thousand Oaks and got an email that day asking if I was going and had no idea that they were playing a one off show before going on tour with Radiohead (which had long sold-out all of their shows). It was pouring rain out and drove like mad over to Tower Records to grab a ticket and then make the three hour drive down to San Diego. REALLY glad I did. Canes was such a strange venue... a full-on Southern California beach bar just yards from the ocean but was booking shows completely against type (for the three/four year stretch it was open I saw Spiritualized twice, Primal Scream, Mogwai, Bardo Pond, Primal Scream, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and The Church). I remember some surfer dude (and he really was a permanent surfer dude) asking me about Spz. He knew nothing about the band, so our conversation went something like...

Dude: these guys are from England?
Me: Yeah
Dude: Are they loud?
Me: Ohhh yeah... You better hang on to something
Dude: Far out!

The crowd was split roughly 50/50 between Spz. fans who were connected enough to make it to the show and folks like the surfer dude who just wanted to hear something different and loud. You've all (hopefully!) heard the recording of the show, so I can't really expand on what you've heard, but that was one of the few times (out of hundreds and hundreds of shows) where The Stars Were Just Right to induce a true non-augmented out-of-body psychedelic experience. The key peak was at the end of "Home Of The Brave" when everything just drones out for a couple minutes while the audience/bar staff was dead silent. I remember "Sway" materializing out of thin air and just bursting into tears.

I talked with Jason last year and he still remembered that San Diego show. Can't imagine what it was like on stage.

And have to second the Radio City show this year. I'm still pretty stunned from it.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

runcible wrote:The Sp3 recording from the Rose Club in Koln from February 1988 is devastating. The versions of Little Doll and O.D. Catastrophe followed by the encore of Come Together (played for the 2nd time that night) are totally awesome. Some funny banter between the audience and Pete K too. This is from the same tour as Performance.
Sounds definitely worth trying out. Can't imagine what it must have been like to see them live. I think the youtube clips only give you a small proportion of what it must have been like.
Chris Barrus wrote: I remember some surfer dude (and he really was a permanent surfer dude) asking me about Spz. He knew nothing about the band, so our conversation went something like...

Dude: these guys are from England?
Me: Yeah
Dude: Are they loud?
Me: Ohhh yeah... You better hang on to something
Dude: Far out!

The crowd was split roughly 50/50 between Spz. fans who were connected enough to make it to the show and folks like the surfer dude who just wanted to hear something different and loud. You've all (hopefully!) heard the recording of the show, so I can't really expand on what you've heard, but that was one of the few times (out of hundreds and hundreds of shows) where The Stars Were Just Right to induce a true non-augmented out-of-body psychedelic experience. The key peak was at the end of "Home Of The Brave" when everything just drones out for a couple minutes while the audience/bar staff was dead silent. I remember "Sway" materializing out of thin air and just bursting into tears.

I talked with Jason last year and he still remembered that San Diego show. Can't imagine what it was like on stage.

And have to second the Radio City show this year. I'm still pretty stunned from it.
This really sounds like a gig people are not lucky to experience very often. It sounds the closest you can get to a perfect gig. Most of the time the problem is that it's very difficult for the performer and the audience to make it a genuine experience. The mere idea of seeing Spiritualized live just weirds me out. I generally feel uneasy at concerts, it's just the common thing for me, but if the concert is good enough, I believe it just works out, doesn't it. The Verve and Ride seem like THE bands I'd most like to see live. It would be mind-blowing, but one of those two will probably never play live again and the other could do that if their lead guitarist didn't waste his time in the "Non-Noel band" he is currently occupied with.

God, I'd love to see Spiritualized live. My biggest fear would be that the gig might not be good, average at best, but maybe that'd be enough, too. I have really high hopes for LP7.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010