I really want a Spiritualized gig/tour

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Shinesalight
Known user

I really want a Spiritualized gig/tour

Post by Shinesalight »

Topic title says it all really. I've been to some amazing gigs and festivals this year but I could really do with a dose of Spiritualized at full pelt. Really need a fix of building white noise dropping into a beautiful laid back version of Shine A Light. Totally miss the intensity of a Spiritiualized show, both sonically and visually. It seems like a life time since the last Spiritualized show I went to, the Ladies & Gents gig at the Royal Festival Hall. I know I'm preaching to the converted but just needed to air my thoughts.

Thank you and good night.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Horrorflick
Known user

Re: I really want a Spiritualized gig/tour

Post by Horrorflick »

You and me both.
Something Wicked That Way Goes...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

I'm ready for a tour or set of shows that doesn't draw exclusively from one album, as good as the L&G shows were, and also for less segmentation between the noisy and tranquil sides of the band.

But yes, bring it on!
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Come to Germany! Plz. I tried to look up when they've been in Germany for the last time. I think the only thing I found was a festival performance in... 2002? Can anyone help me out?
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I really wish that Spiritualized had played or would play Central Canada......they usually just play Toronto or (maybe?) Montreal. I guess that maybe they think that their appeal is limited in certain out of the way locations, but alot of times, you find rabid fans that aren't burnt out on the "should I see this band play? Eh, I saw them two years ago, that's good enough" type mentality.
clewsr
Known user

Post by clewsr »

roll on 2011 and new album fun.

in the meantime, have a listen to this. Wonderful Take me to the Other side from Slims in1995.

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/957878861/d7 ... 71d382bda8
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

jadams501 wrote:I'm ready for a tour or set of shows that doesn't draw exclusively from one album
So a regular, non-ATP/Don't Look Back type tour then :?

What I really liked about the A&E tour was how the setlist expanded from the early dates such as Koko, to the longer, later sets where the band really seemed to have loosened up, as well as having added some fantastic extra tracks (especially Lay Back in the Sun).

As far as I recall we only heard YLYC and Sweet Talk from A&E on all those dates, unless Soul on Fire was slipped in, which would be my cue to visit the bar, loo, smoking dept etc.

Likewise I only remember hearing Cheapster and Rated X on the AG tour, though again my memories not so clear.

Anyways seems like the best way to get more live dates is wait for the new album anyways. It would be great to have a decent, recent live bootleg from the A&E tour, just to tide me over. The only one I remember getting was Lemington Spa, but it's not so good quality unfortunately.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

mojo filters wrote:Likewise I only remember hearing Cheapster and Rated X on the AG tour, though again my memories not so clear.
Really? I remember them playing loads of AG tracks when they toured that album, as this setlist from a thread in the gigs section proves (though, even I'm surprised they played this many off the album with just the Power and the Glory excluded!):-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/klaus_kins ... 818437123/
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
mojo filters
Known user

Post by mojo filters »

Now you point it out my memory is not so hazy - I do remember great live versions of She Kissed Me, Ritchie Lee and a few others. I'm still very surprised at that setlist you showed - a bit too AG heavy methinks.

What I really like about Spz live shows is how they usually tend to play a good spread of back catalogue songs, in comparison to most bands touring a new album. Hence I was surprised at jadams implication that it's not normally the case.
I'm like Evel Knievel, I get paid for the attempt. I didn't promise this shit would be good!
Dave Chappelle
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

I really want any type of Spiritualized show soon. I want to plan a trip in February or March and I want it to coincide with a concert of some sort.

"Jaaaaayyyy can you hear meeeee, whheeeennnn I caaaalllllllll???"
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

toomilk wrote:I really want any type of Spiritualized show soon. I want to plan a trip in February or March and I want it to coincide with a concert of some sort.

"Jaaaaayyyy can you hear meeeee, whheeeennnn I caaaalllllllll???"
:lol:

I've never been to a show. But I am a Spiritualized newbie anyway. I just can't tell what a show would be like.
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I really agree with the sentiment of this thread too- I'm gagging for another Spiritualized show of any sort. There's something about the highs and peaks of a Spz show that makes them like a drug you need more of. Even with some of my other favourite bands, I see them once on a tour and think 'that was great, that's my fill until the next tour'. With Spz it's something else..
mojo filters wrote: What I really liked about the A&E tour was how the setlist expanded from the early dates such as Koko, to the longer, later sets where the band really seemed to have loosened up, as well as having added some fantastic extra tracks (especially Lay Back in the Sun).

As far as I recall we only heard YLYC and Sweet Talk from A&E on all those dates, unless Soul on Fire was slipped in, which would be my cue to visit the bar, loo, smoking dept etc.

Likewise I only remember hearing Cheapster and Rated X on the AG tour, though again my memories not so clear.

Anyways seems like the best way to get more live dates is wait for the new album anyways. It would be great to have a decent, recent live bootleg from the A&E tour, just to tide me over. The only one I remember getting was Lemington Spa, but it's not so good quality unfortunately.
On the AG tour the album was played almost in its entirety at most shows. I thought that was a bit of a weakness to be honest, I like it well enough, but not enough to base a set around. Luckily like you say the bands setlists have usually been far reaching. Shine A Light is an old stalwart that never gets tired. I'll you what though- I really miss Electric Mainline.

Sitting On Fire was also pretty regular. The A&E setlists were rather static, the band have never been ones to rejig the shows from one night to the next. However that makes any changes all the more exciting. The comeback of Lay Back In The Sun was glorious, as was Ladies and Gents.. being ressurected.
I remember reports of Don't Hold Me Close being played once. Also apparantly Baby I'm Just A Fool was played in the full electric arrangement for an instore.

There are some much better quality boots than the Leamington one, try the Washington or Sydney shows.
Jasonsmith
Known user

Post by Jasonsmith »

Washington show is here as a podcast

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=92754720

There#s an interview at the end too...
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

mojo filters wrote:Now you point it out my memory is not so hazy - I do remember great live versions of She Kissed Me, Ritchie Lee and a few others. I'm still very surprised at that setlist you showed - a bit too AG heavy methinks.

What I really like about Spz live shows is how they usually tend to play a good spread of back catalogue songs, in comparison to most bands touring a new album. Hence I was surprised at jadams implication that it's not normally the case.
When I went to see them at Terminal 5 in New York 2008, the setlist was good but the entire set was too harsh and loud. Of course those are important elements to the Spz sound but a lot of the magic and dynamism of the sound and songs is in the ebb and flow between the noise and the gentle drones. As much as I liked hearing Lay Back In The Sun it got tiresome pretty quickly because it was fairly indistinguishable from the crashing noise of most of the preceding songs.

I think a lot of the problem is that they had done an acoustic mainlines show less than a year earlier, so I guess J wanted to showcase the other side of the band. It was an interesting novelty I suppose but ultimately lacked the sonic diversity and mastery that I admire most about Spiritualized.

As for complaining about songs all from one album, that's because Ladies & Gents is my least favorite Spz album and the one I'm least interested in hearing in its entirety, so I quickly got tired of those shows and boots. I'd prefer one of the other albums to be played in full (even Amazing Grace -- I love some of the shows from that era) or a typical setlist of various deep cuts for their next tour.
bunnyben
Known user

Post by bunnyben »

Jasonsmith wrote:Washington show is here as a podcast

anyone have this as a download without subscription? also anyone got a good ag boot like the set list posted?
'raging and weeping are left on the early road
now each in his holy hill
the glittering and hurting days are alomst done
then let us compare mythologies
i have learned my elaborate lie
of soaring crosses and poisened thorns'
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Re: Amazing Spacelands

Post by BzaInSpace »

bunnyben wrote: also anyone got a good ag boot like the set list posted?
Ben - my all-time favourite Amazing Grace era bootleg:

http://thedrugsareworking.blogspot.com/ ... as-tx.html

Ripped directly from this blog...to the unknown taper and blogger thank you again:

In spirit of the new album being announced I thought I would post the only Spiritualized show I've recorded. Unfortunately I had not started taping shows when I saw them play prior.
When you listen to this, I'd recommend listening to it in your headphones. The mics I used to use sound best that way. If not then BLAST it on your speakers, otherwise you'll miss way too much. Enjoy.

Spiritualized, Gypsy Ballroom, Dallas, TX, 11.20.03

1. Intro
2. All Of My Tears
3. Electricity
4. Shine A Light
5. Walking With Jesus
6. Hold On
7. She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)
8. Lord Let It Rain On Me
9. Oh Baby
10. Cheapster
11. Medication
12. Lay It Down Slow
13. Never Goin' Back
14. The Ballad Of Richie Lee
15. Cop Shoot Cop
16. Rated X
17. Run
18. Take Your Time
19. Smiles

This recording is absolutely superb - as I mentioned on the previous Bootlegs threads the take of 'Cop Shoot Cop...' is just wild!

See an earlier post I made regarding this fantastic show:
http://ideensynthese.de/spiritualized/v ... =30#p74068

I wish this person had taped more shows... despite their misgivings with the quality it sounds incredibly good and clear with no distortions.

Also, despite what may be indicated earlier it may be worth remembering that all throughout the Amazing Grace tours there was plenty of older material being played in the "triple-pronged guitar heavy-mental-jazz style" as well as tracks from the new album.
I was so lucky to have caught them in a tiny venue in Aberdeen a few months after this show (around Jan 2004) and it was a simply astonishing gig...just mayhem really. I guess by that time a lot of these songs had evolved somwhat - stuff I didn't pick up immediately off Amazing Grace like 'Oh baby' sounded just incredible that night, yet they also did the likes of 'I think I'm in love' which sounded phenomenal - a really floaty, dubbed-out intro with a huge sounding conclusion...astonishing gig.

Did someone mention how the likes of 'Rated X' and 'She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)' have been integral to the latest tours? Agreed. I will also state the best I've ever seen them was Glasgow, October 2008. A true psychedelic whirlwind.
Just unbelievable! As discussed with someone else on here (OK, Tommy) the other night - just talking about that show raises the hairs on our arms.

Absolute electric mainline majesty. Perfection. And fucking loud!

A truly terrifying yet by turns equally euphoric intro through 'Amazing Grace/You Lie You Cheat/Shine A Light'.

A beautiful, beautiful country soul take on 'Walkin' with Jesus'

'Lay Back In The Sun'!!!

And the last, insanely heavy segment of the show? Staring into hell...and then taken to the other side!

In short however and within the threads title - AGREED! :D
O P 8
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

After reading BZA's post above i kinda wonder what i'm actually doing here. I haven't been able to feel that enthused by Spiritualized for at least 15 years. I'm not knocking Barry's enthusiasm, the opposite really. I am very jealous.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

bunnyben wrote:
Jasonsmith wrote:Washington show is here as a podcast

anyone have this as a download without subscription? also anyone got a good ag boot like the set list posted?
I could be wrong, but I think you can get it for free on Itunes somewhere if you search for podcasts. If not I'll be happy to upload. It's notable for being one of the few times Electricity was played on the A&E tour.

in terms of AG shows, I'll have to check out this Dallas show. All Of My Tears as the calm before the storm sounds great.
there is also the Toronto Opera House show which is amazing quality (soundboard).

have to be honest, I don't think the AG era was the best live era for the band. the triple guitar attack could often become a mush of static and Jasons voice sounds strained. setlists not great too. Shockingly Shine A Light was axed for the first part of the tour! (can anyone tell I'm a Spz setlist geek?:))
when i saw them on that tour it was the closest they have ever been to average, only saved at the end by the amazing final stretch of Run>Take Your Time>Smiles>Things I'll Never Be The Same.
bunnyben wrote: Did someone mention how the likes of 'Rated X' and 'She Kissed Me (It Felt Like A Hit)' have been integral to the latest tours? Agreed.
that may have been me, but I think I said Rated X and Cheapster. both essential cornerstones of the A&E setlists (in my opinion the best paced and most varied setlists since the Ladies and gents tour)