Grinderman 2

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

James T
Known user

Grinderman 2

Post by James T »

Just got home with a copy of this, lovely package (the LP). LP/CD/BOOKLET/POSTER.

Just whacked it on, starts off well, what y'all think??? I'm told it isn't out til tomorrow??
TheWarmth
Known user

Re: Grinderman 2

Post by TheWarmth »

I read a nice review on Dusted: http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/5958

I'm definitely interested in hearing this. I didn't think much of the first Grinderman album, but this review makes it sound like 2 is much stronger.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

It's much better
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Gave it the once over before going to bed last night and it sounds pretty good. Need to get it blaring out in the car or out walking with my I-Pod though before I nail a true opinion to it.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

I have had a few days to digest this record and have to say I love it. Not certain it’s better than 1, could be as good though.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

i didn't think much of the first grinderman album either. i loved 'dig lazarus dig,' though and i'd say that i like 'grinderman 2' better than 'dig lazarus dig.' i have trouble not thinking of those three records as building upon each other.
alan_cohaul
Known user

Post by alan_cohaul »

I still need to pick this up. I really liked the first Grinderman album--there's alot of people that don't like it, but I like it's intentionally loose, rocking feel. I think that people sort of got psyched up for a Birthday Party version 2.0, and to me, I don't think that Nick was really trying to recreate that.....just that maybe he was sleazier and more rocking than he's been in awhile, so the Birthday Party comparisons were bound to crop up and then set people up for something that wasn't really supposed to be the same. Unless Nick said that it was supposed to sound like the Birthday Party.....
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

So them last night, great show!
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

On first play - great record! Loving the guitar violence!!!
O P 8
nickh
Known user

Post by nickh »

Going tonight at Hammersmith, can’t wait!!
toomilk
Known user

Post by toomilk »

Just got this today. I don't think I enjoy it as much as the first. Some of the songs seem premeditated, whereas the first album was spontaneous and awesome.

The slower songs in the middle were putting me to sleep on the road after a long day at work....so I guess I wasn't in prime listening conditions...
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

Grinderman play Dublin and Cork in June and tickets are 50 FUCKING EUROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :evil: Surely i can't be alone in thinking this is a ripoff of epic proportions?

I'll keep my cash for the Body and Soul Festival the same weekend, which is €100. I'll probably be involved in the set up of that anyway but if not i'd be going as a punter rather than paying fifty quid for, i imagine, not much more than hour of Cave and chums.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five