New Mogwai Album

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

olan
Known user

Re: New Mogwai Album

Post by olan »

I had a chance to sit down and listen to the vinyl boxset today. The disk of demos did not do much for me - I thought it would be raw and in-your-face but it simply sounded thin and unrealised. Having said that the LP itself is fantastic, although I have some sympathy for the view that the album gets a bit bogged down in the middle before powering home (expressed by Shalloboi and others I think). The extra track on the CD - Music for a forgotten future (the singing mountain) is also not Mogwai on top form. All said and done this is a very fine piece of work.

Runcible, time out on the naughty step listening to the MSP for you...... sledging G!YBE, what next??? :wink:
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

The first time I saw Mogwai live they opened with 'Mogwai Fear Satan' which was devastating, triumphant, magnificent. But they blew it by starting the set with that as the rest was incredibly boring. I've mentioned bands before who play their trump card first which is a major error. I thought CAVE had done it last November as the first track of their set was so incredible, but they were able to get even better. Mogwai couldn't. My 2nd Mogwai gig was when Bardo supported them in Manchester and totally blew them off the stage - to the extent it was quite embarrassing for the Moggers, who were so dull I stood at the bar.
olan wrote:Runcible, time out on the naughty step listening to the MSP for you...... sledging G!YBE, what next??? :wink:
I've tried with Godspeed You Black Emperor's New Clothes and can't see anything interesting. The fact they have these 'look at us - we are so serious' expressions on their faces doesn't help. I'm not comparing them to MSP though - that band have a category all of their own and it's way down the pecking order in last place..
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I like the extra 23-minute track a lot. I was dreading a boring dirge, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. I'll have to listen again, as I'm having a hard time putting into words exactly what it was that appealed to me.

As for the demos, yeah, they're not really much to write home about. It was definitely a bit much to press them on vinyl.

I've seen Mogwai probably four or five times live and only once been disappointed (the Hawk Is Howling tour ... that show was very boring, aside from a few stellar moments like "Batcat". I don't really find them to be smug like Godspeed. Someone else mentioned their sense of humor, which I agree shines through on virtually all of their releases in the hilarious song titles. Also, I'm not sure if they're still there, but Stuart did reviews of films he saw on airplanes and they were all very funny.
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

the band were brilliant last night in Birmingham. sounding awesome and very loud in parts. miles better than the other time I saw them. vast majority of new album was played (I'm Lionel Richie was epic and Rano Pano was fuzzy as hell), however highlight was the aforementioned Mogwai Fear Satan which was crushingly intense and beautiful. whoever the idiot was clapping inappropriately and out of time during the quiet bit, though, sort it out mate.

if I was nitpicking, setlist-wise I still didn't get to hear any of my special favourites and they played I Know You Are.. which I can't stand. would have liked to hear more from the violin fella too (how is he earning his keep?). but I still came away very satisfied.

I gather Mogwai are some of the most unpretentious people who could ever meet- they regularly post on their own message board, are always self deprecating and the song titles surely pinprick any pretentions of great gravitas. seems Runcible was more talking about pretentiousness he hears in the music itself, which is just totally subjective.
Godspeed.. now they are quite pretentious. but I still love the music.

PS kudos to Mogwai for even having the balls to have Bardo Pond support. similarly last night the support were the wonderful Twilight Sad- scottish indie-folk songs smothered in wonderful bursts of MBV guitar noise. I recommend everyone check out their album Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters which is one of my favourite debuts of recent years.
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

angelsighs wrote:
I gather Mogwai are some of the most unpretentious people who could ever meet- they regularly post on their own message board, are always self deprecating and the song titles surely pinprick any pretentions of great gravitas. seems Runcible was more talking about pretentiousness he hears in the music itself, which is just totally subjective.
You got it. What else do I have to go on?
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

naturally after i posted my little rant i gave the record another listen and ended up liking it a lot more. i still think it sags in the middle (except for 'letters to the metro'- which is a great track). this is why i have a three listens before judgement rule- a lot of great albums are growers.
TheWarmth wrote:Also, I'm not sure if they're still there, but Stuart did reviews of films he saw on airplanes and they were all very funny.
those were great! the one for 'chicago' was the best!
i also always loved that dvd that came with 'mr. beast' about the making of the album.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

olan wrote:
TheWarmth wrote:It makes me really happy that so many people here are digging this! I thought for sure it'd be more divisive.
When the "sounds like New Order singles" quote came out I was sure that, unless the quote was a joke, it would be shite. Thankfully the quote was a joke and the album is very, very good. Really looking forward to the boxed set with the extras etc....
I think San Pedro has a kinda New Order vibe in their .
mc
Known user

Post by mc »

For me this is the best album they've done since Young Team; only HSFHP comes even close. I'm astonished at just how good it is. White Noise, Rano Pano, Death Rays, George Square Thatcher Death Party and How to Be A Werewolf are Mogwai songs for the ages. I didn't think they still had it in them.

+1 for The Sun Smells Too Loud, incidentally. It's an excellent song, pretty much the only one I can be bothered with off THIH nowadays.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I guess I fall somewhere between the two camps....I have seen Mogwai a couple times. The first time they absolutely blew me away (2002/3 maybe). I think it was just before HSFHP came out. I bought both a t-shirt and tour EP that night but the EP failed to register in my living room what the music did on the night. HSFHP soon came out after that and I bought it but have to admit it does not get much airplay here. When they came back through town I hyped the gig up to some friends and we all went down to check 'em out and it was a shadow of the show I saw previously. I was let down and they failed to make much impression on my friends. Haven't seen them since.

I have always preferred the spacey/jammy whig-outs of Explosions in the Sky to Mogwai's grandiose quiet/loud soundscapes. Neither band, however, come close to Bardo Pond.

On runcible's recommendation I will seek this album out and see how it is. I'm in two minds though about spending my hard earned cash on seeing them again (they are in Portland in May).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Saw them in London on Friday night and they totally blew me away. Was very drunk and stoned which may have helped matters even further. My mate said I had a massive grin on my face the whole way through the gig. Can't remember the set list or any particular highlight, I just remember my chest shaking with the trembling bass and just the sheer loudness of it all. Think they must have played at least 5 tracks of the new album and a few classics. It was just fucking immense. :D
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

Does the merch stand still sell earplugs with Mogwai logo emblazoned on them? :lol:
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Pciked up a Mogwai t-shirt but didn't have a good look at the merch stand as was in a bit of a rush to catch the train back to Brighton. I;m sure I noticed Mogwai baby-grows though. 8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Just found this on YouTube which is pretty good both audio and visually:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f3DMu1lr58
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Dogshit last night, loadsa prats shouting all the way through. They played Satan AND My Father My King though.... Glad I saw the show at hoxton, that wer' much better
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote: massively pretentious and so pompous
Says the wine buff! :wink:

Wouldn't apply those terms to Mogwai but they certainly fit Godspeed snugly.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

sunray wrote:
...you're obviously drinking the wrong wine mate... :lol:
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Bought it on recommendation today. Not impressed at all.
Liked the first track, which is what sold me, and track 8. It descended into nothingness outside of that.
Strictly my opinion and I was never a Mogwai fan.
I'll just chalk it up to experience.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
spacemanrich
Known user

Post by spacemanrich »

Gave the album a good 5-6 listens before forming an opinion. The album is a letdown for me, a few good songs but rather disappointing effort. Liked all the previous albums i.e. - Hawk is Howling, Zidane (21st Portrait), Happy People, etc.etc.

The concerts though are fantastic.

Digging the new PJ Harvey album.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

runcible wrote:
sunray wrote:
...you're obviously drinking the wrong wine mate... :lol:
Don't touch the stuff Runcie. Nor cheese. Cider and Pringles for me! :D
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
Minky
Known user

Post by Minky »

The more I listen to this record...the more I like it. I even like George Square Thatcher Death Party, Daft Punk? *duck*. Looking forward to seeing them in April.
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

I've posted links to a video tour of the Mogwai live setup and a tour of the guitarists pedal boards in the instruments section. Quite interesting stuff.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Minky wrote:The more I listen to this record...the more I like it. I even like George Square Thatcher Death Party, Daft Punk? *duck*. Looking forward to seeing them in April.
Wish I'd seen 'em in Glasgow's spiritual home of Country & Western...

But yeah - Daft Punk?

Love it!
O P 8
Luminescence
Known user

Post by Luminescence »

i really like this album, it's them back to the 'Mr Beast' days...the album flows nicely despite sometimes nearly ripping your chest out with the sounds. i'd love to see them live again soon.
Hey Jayne
scratch
Known user

Post by scratch »

they gave us about 15 mins of white noise after the encore yesterday

good show.. but no ithaca
"the greatest example of self-violation in the history of art"
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My girlfriend got me the Special Edition vinyl version of the album for my birthday today. Don't think mine comes with a t-shirt though... just the double vinyl, demos EP, CD, prints and stencil. As grateful as I am, and even though I really like the whole package, I already have the CD so I'm tempted to exchange it for the standard double vinyl and put the difference towards some more vinyl. Her parents gave me a £30 gift voucher for the same record store so I could go wild in there! :D Still, I am tempted to keep the lovely box set though :?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Better be careful. Even though your logic makes perfect sense, your girlfriend might get offended if you exchange the gift. It'd probably be safer to just keep it. It'll go up in value.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Don't worry Paul, when I mentioned that I already had the CD it was her that insisted I go and exchange it for something else. Its me thats actually dithering on whether to keep it or not. I will triple check with her first though before I make my final decision. :wink:
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

http://onethirtybpm.com/media/listen-mo ... to-france/

Track from the new EP streaming. I haven't listened yet.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hmmmm....its certainly not Mogwai-esque. Its ok, quite atomospheric and I can imagine it in a film. But it doesn't really excite me that much. Will be interesting to see what the rest of the EP is like.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I quite like it, it's floaty and baroque sounding. it reminds me of another postrock band called Rachel's.
remember, like the article says its only really a short intro to the EP (and all of 2 1/2 mins long)

Ads, if i were you i'd keep that Mogwai box just for all the other stuff that comes with it and just to have it as a nice artifact. plus it will certainly be an investment if you ever do ever sell it in the future.
you are lucky you have a girlfriend that takes an interest in your music taste. in my experience most of them seem to glaze over and drift away when you start talking about it... :)
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Yeah, Sighs....I count myself pretty lucky on that front really. To top it all, she's booked me an introductory drum lesson based on the fact she's heard I love playing the drums on Rock Band on the X-Box....I'm well excited. What a lucky boy :D

As for the Mogwai box set, she bought it in a local record store in Brighton for £40 but has since seen it online with HMV for £20. She's insisting that I take it back and put the refund towards more vinyl along with the £30 voucher her parents got me and then buy the Mogwai box set online myself.

(by the way, this is the same thing isn't it as mine has a dark blue cover with Mogwai wrtitten on with a winged skull above?... http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=511793)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
olan
Known user

Post by olan »

Careful there Shines. I think this HMV thing is a box containing the LP alone. I've got the same set as you - right down to your description of the cover. I vaguely recall that there were XX thousand of the box set with the demos, poster, stencil etc and then XX2 of the plain LP in a box type. (where XX and XX2 are numbers I've either forgotten or imagined :roll: ).
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

Hardcore Will Never DIe is due to get the remix treatment:-

http://www.mogwai.co.uk/

8)
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
MODLAB
Site Admin

Post by MODLAB »

Shinesalight wrote:Hardcore Will Never DIe is due to get the remix treatment:-

8)
That is a really good free re-mix. I'm highly enjoying it. THANK YOU!

M

EDIT: A some wonderful points it seems like SONIC did the re-mix.. Very S3ish...
Design.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

MODLAB wrote:
Shinesalight wrote:Hardcore Will Never DIe is due to get the remix treatment:-

8)
That is a really good free re-mix. I'm highly enjoying it. THANK YOU!

M

EDIT: A some wonderful points it seems like SONIC did the re-mix.. Very S3ish...
sounds fantastic,hear what your saying about it sounding "sonicy",