Christmas Lists

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

TheWarmth
Known user

Christmas Lists

Post by TheWarmth »

My family happens to be one that relies on lists for holiday season gift giving. I'm hoping for the fancy David Bowie Station To Station vinyl/cd/dvd box. I thought about putting the LP version of the new Eno album on there, but I'm going to hold out an hope for a regular, affordable vinyl release sometime in the future. I still don't have the new Neil Young or Clinic LPs, either.

So ... if you've got one, what's on your list?
Zenchan
Known user

Re: Christmas Lists

Post by Zenchan »

The missus has bought me a vinyl of Pacific Ocean Blue as a minor present. Good times!
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Excellent! I got that one for my birthday last year. It's a fantastic 3xLP package.
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

World peace and an end to starvation obviously ( :wink: ) but, failing that, this year I would very much like a new I-Pod, tickets for Mogwai, a Black Angels t-shirt or two, some Dean & Britta/Galaxie 500, Hidden by These New Puritans, and some cash to go looking at musical bargains in the sales.
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
BVCP206
Known user

Post by BVCP206 »

I'm going to stop writing to Santa I ask him every year for WWJ 12" test press to complete my collection and it never arrives :lol:
'Remember, change is not good'
johnnyboy
Known user

Post by johnnyboy »

I did have the JSBX - Orange, Now I Got Worry and Controversial Negro remasters, plus Mingus - Black Saint, Warpaints s/t debut, some Cormac McCarthy novels.....

Had £20 of old Rough Trade vouchers in my pocket when going round job agencies in town yesterday so popped in and got Now I Got Worry and Warpaint. Not had a proper good run thru of them yet but not sure about the Warpaint album. Anyone got it, like it, hate it? I think I've gone and bought another over hyped cd but will give it time......one of those shopping experiences where you're in a rush and just grab a 2nd cd to bulk out the purchasing.

Was hoping to get a new tattoo for Xmas but redundancy has put paid to that idea for a while. :(
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I have the Warpaint album. I'm a little disappointed. My band actually opened for them earlier this year and they were stellar live. I feel like some of the songs are a little half-baked on the second half of the album.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

yeah, i do a christmas list to give to my family every year. i maintain one of those amazon.com wishlists and this year i'm trying to put some vinyl on it because i don't like getting cds anymore. mostly it's dvd sets- '30 rock,' 'curb your enthusiasm' and other stuff like that. i've had the tom waits- 'orphans' box set on there forever and no one's gotten that one for me. my wife always tries to surprise me with something she knows i want but didn't put on the list and i always spoil it so i've stopped buying records apart from 7"es and old, used stuff.
i also occasionally ask for a guitar pedal. last year my dad surprised me by buying me one of them- it was a custom made ronsound trem-o-matic, which is basically the repeater effect from a vox guitar in pedal form. it's pretty freaking cool and it was custom made too. sometimes microphones too- one year they got me a green bullet.
sunray
Known user

Post by sunray »

TheWarmth wrote:I have the Warpaint album. I'm a little disappointed. My band actually opened for them earlier this year and they were stellar live. I feel like some of the songs are a little half-baked on the second half of the album.
Was going to go and see them last week but had a listen to their myspace first and quickly came to the conclusion to give my weary bones and wearier wallet a break.
Nineteen...Nineteen...Six Five
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

my folks work off a list too. like Ads I'm looking to get a new ipod as my current mp3 player is dying and crashing all the time.
also hoping to fill some gaps in the collection, some albums I missed this year like the latest Black Angels and Sleepy Sun, maybe Valleys of Neptune or The Witmark Demos which i still havent got
dvd wise need the latest Curb your Enthusiam- thought the last season was brilliant
Shinesalight
Known user

Post by Shinesalight »

My local record store in Brighton has just released its staff list of the 25 best albums of 2010 so thought I'd whack a couple of these on my Xmas wish list:-

http://www.resident-music.com/wp-conten ... op-251.pdf

I've only got 4 albums on this list (Caribou, Grinderman, Besnard Lakes and Swans) and was thinking of asking Santa for These New Puritans, Beach House and Deerhunter. Any thoughts?
www.dronerockrecords.com
The Home of Drone
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I was hugely disappointed by the new Caribou album. The first song (the single ... "Odessa," I think) is amazing, but the rest is meandering and dull. I'd go for the Beach House LP, which I adore, and Besnard Lakes instead.
shalloboi
Known user

Post by shalloboi »

the new beach house and deerhunter (if you like deerhunter, that is- they seem to fall into the category of 'love or hate') records are both great- my two favourites from this year.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

i'm getting the scream box set
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

angelsighs wrote:also hoping to fill some gaps in the collection, some albums I missed this year like the latest Black Angels and Sleepy Sun, maybe Valleys of Neptune or The Witmark Demos which i still havent got
I wouldn't waste your money on the Witmark Demos. I'm as big a Dylan fan as probably anyone on this board, but a lot of that material is substandard and would have been better left in the vaults. Might as well support a working band, in my opinion.
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

I'm still to get the Neil Young Archives so I reckon I'll get that off someone. Also want all the audiophile represses and live albums and the new album. Fork In The Road can wait though, not so fussed about that.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

If you are going to pop for the vinyl the best bet is the 4 LP box. All the LPs are 180 gram instead of 140 gram. It makes a big difference. They are all numbered as is the box. and you can get it on Amazon US for $150. Harvest and After The Goldrush are $35 each on 140 gram.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilzkuEY0sDc

A little on the anal side but you get the idea.
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
James T
Known user

Post by James T »

Ah, I meant the archives project box with all the demos and live stuff, but I do want that box set too!
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

:oops:
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
jack white
Known user

Post by jack white »

that new jimi boxset plz santa
gonna burn brightly
for a while
Guessed
Known user

Post by Guessed »

There's a biography out about The Blue Nile I staggered past the other day, fancy that.

My Iplod has just given up so was thinking about a new mp3 player or phone or something. My experience of Ipod' aint great so am researching alternatives but it's limited.

Music wise - something inspiring
Tyger
Known user

Post by Tyger »

Only music I have on my list this year is the Tron Legacy OST 2CD edition by Daft Punk. Now I feel like I should be asking for some other stuff :?