Beady Eye

For new sounds, old sounds and favourite sound discussion...

Moderators: sunny, BzaInSpace, runcible, spzretent

Noddy
Known user

Re: Beady Eye

Post by Noddy »

Same opinion as the other 2 tunes I have heard, Liam sounding great, poor lyrics and the bog standard solo appears again, and the beginning is a total take from Instant Karma. I can see why its a single, catchy, but this really is uninspiring. Liam and Andy Bell is a perfect recipe on paper, great vocalist meets great noise guitarist, but it is falling well short. The LP clips sound grim too.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

Noddy wrote:To me its the same solo Oasis banged out for their latter years. Hows about maybe Gem didnt do the solos and Andy put something in there, he was great at that kind of thing with Ride. I am not expecting big fast rocking solos, maybe passages/phrases in the way Bill Ryder Jones did with The Coral, or the interludes that Johnny Marr was great at with The Smiths. Or the way Doggen does with Spiritualized.
I think Gem does the solos pretty well, but yeah, Andy is... He's just Andy Bell. It's as simple as that. Probably too psychedelic for Beady Eye..........

Although Andy went a bit mad when he started Hurricane #1. He pulled a Squire. :?
W: What are we supposed to do with that?
M: Eat it.
W: Eat it? Fucker’s alive.
M: Yeah, you’ve got to kill it.
W: Me? I’m the firelighter and fuel collector.

Gigs 2010: http://www.last.fm/user/Colin_in_Mexico/events/2010
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

the album clips are a bit worrisome

it sounds like there's a lot more songs in the vein of the roller than four letter word

i was really just hoping for a kick ass rock record. nothing ground breaking.

we'll see
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Did Oasis ever break any ground?
http://www.lilmoxie.com
Detroit, Music, Sports and Other Stuff(including Spiritualized, Spacemen 3)
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

no.. who cares?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:the album clips are a bit worrisome
i was really just hoping for a kick ass rock record. nothing ground breaking.
Apparently you. Read your above post. I was responding to that bit.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

are you bored?
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I was about three hours ago, why?
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i don't know it just seems like you're trying to start something over what was supposed to be a harmless comment.

i don't think i meant that the way you read it.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

I think spzretent was just trying to say that you don't listen to/buy music by the Gallagher brothers because it's groundbreaking. But I think Oranj already knows that. This is just a miscommunication. No big deal.

Personally, I think Noel is incredibly talented and has proven to be a very gifted songwriter/singer/guitarist. Is his material groundbreaking? No, not really, but that doesn't mean a good song isn't a good song.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:i don't know it just seems like you're trying to start something over what was supposed to be a harmless comment.

i don't think i meant that the way you read it.
I'm not trying to start anything. I just thought the words ground breaking and anything to do with Oasis or any spin off was at the very least curious and in my opinion, wrong.
As you can tell I am not a fan of the Brothers Gallagher. They took several influences, turned up the volume and saved Creation. That last part was good.
Media monsters were created. And I have never been good at separating personalities from the music. Another reason i have no time for them. I think these guys are two of the biggest assholes in rock. And not very talented, Again, strictly my opinion.
Are we not allowed to disagree?
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Biggest assholes in rock? Maybe, but what about Keith, Brian and Mick? Pretty much all assholes, right? John Lennon ... my impression is that he was basically a dick, too. I don't care. I just want to listen to a good song. I have lots of friends, but not many that can write an amazing song.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

TheWarmth wrote:Biggest assholes in rock? Maybe, but what about Keith, Brian and Mick? Pretty much all assholes, right? John Lennon ... my impression is that he was basically a dick, too. I don't care. I just want to listen to a good song. I have lots of friends, but not many that can write an amazing song.
lol ... well put their The Warmth,
what Ive heard so far sounds like Oasis bsides ,not good ,as for Andy Bell the noise guitarist ,thats more than 20 yrs ago and he doesn`t seem very interested in going back over that ground ,although some reheated Ride in the Beady Eye would probably make it slightly more interesting than the xeroxed Oasis album that seems to be in the offing.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Re: The Stones-
Unless you read the books it was never that public. And no, I dont think they were assholes in the same media created way Oasis were. At least in Brian and Keiths case it was simply drugs, women and paranoia. Mick? I cant argue his case.

But they weren't as overtly obnoxious as Liam and Noel. The public spats. Liam not playing a show at Royal Albert Hall yet sitting in the front row of the balcony heckling his brother. The comments they made about some of their influences and on and on. I think timing had a lot to do with it. The English music scene needed them when they exploded as did Creation. And they exploited it for all it was worth.

Like I said, I have a hard time separating negative personalities from thier music. I am quite sure a lot of bands I like have people in them I wouldn't like. I just dont know because they dont constantly make public spectacles of their assholishness.
One exception Brian Jonetown Massacre. No idea why, but I can still listen to those records.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

i can understand thinking liam is an asshole but i really don't get that vibe from noel. liam seems really angry and self-serious all the time. shrug

not sure why it matters that much at the end of the day sitting in your house listening to the music.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Kurious Oranj wrote:i can understand thinking liam is an asshole but i really don't get that vibe from noel. liam seems really angry and self-serious all the time. shrug

I used to think that too. Its because Liam is a bigger twat than his brother! :lol:
not sure why it matters that much at the end of the day sitting in your house listening to the music.
That is entirely my issue. After your post last night I put Definitely Maybe on in the shop and just thought it was ordinary. Sure the songs are catchy but not something i would listen to again and again.
To me life is too short. I have always been good at trimming bands out of my life's playlist.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

fair enough.. i guess as a kid of the 90s i have a soft spot for them that's lasted beyond other phase bands in my life at the time.

i don't listen to them that much these days but they leave me in a good mood when i do.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

spzretent wrote: I'm not trying to start anything. I just thought the words ground breaking and anything to do with Oasis or any spin off was at the very least curious and in my opinion, wrong.
I don't think that's fair. Yes Oasis ripped shamelessly from Beatles, Kinks, Stone Roses, etc. but they always admitted it and it was all synthesized into 90s music with a new sensibility. Live Forever, Some Might Say, and their other great songs are instantly recognizable and distinctive as OASIS in a way most other groups, even those more innovative, are not.

I stand by Noel Gallagher as one of the best singer-songwriters of the last 30 years. I haven't met the man, but he also strikes me as much less objectionable than his brother.

As for the Stones, if there was a decent human being among them someone would have spoken up against Allen Klein's plundering of Bitter Sweet Symphony.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

jadams501 wrote:
spzretent wrote: As for the Stones, if there was a decent human being among them someone would have spoken up against Allen Klein's plundering of Bitter Sweet Symphony.
The stole a riff. it wasn't theirs. They got caught. And speaking up about Allen Klein's lawsuit? Are you kidding? It took them forever to get out from under him. He ripped the Stones off until they started their own label. Which is why they had to "Exile" themselves to France in 1971-1972. All this money they supposedly earned and owed Inland Revenue yet had none to pay it because Allen Klein made 90% of it. That and the other 10% was blown on houses, drugs and lawyers.

Re; Noel's songwriting capabilites- you and I will just have to respectfully disagree. Catchy maybe.
redcloud
Known user

Post by redcloud »

I quite liked 'Definitely Maybe' when it came out and 'What's The Story Morning Glory' too had some decent songs but in my opinion it wasn't as good as the first LP. After that though the band went downhill...fast. Every release sounded the same. The Status Quo of contemporary rock music.

I have absolutely no interest in searching out Beady Eye. Over Christmas we were in the UK and I saw some feature on Liam on the tv. He spoke a bit, he ranted a bit, he boasted a bit and they played a song or two. Didn't do much for me.

Biggest asshole in rock? Liam is certainly up there but I suspect Anton Newcombe may also receive a vote or two.
Noddy
Known user

Post by Noddy »

spzretent wrote:
jadams501 wrote:
spzretent wrote: As for the Stones, if there was a decent human being among them someone would have spoken up against Allen Klein's plundering of Bitter Sweet Symphony.
The stole a riff. it wasn't theirs. They got caught.
The Verve didnt 'steal' that riff, the part that is used in Bittersweet is not the bit people always presume. It was them going back to the thing of hip hop, sampling things, no way did the tune deserve to be credited as Ashcroft/Jagger/Richards.. It was all Kleins doing though, not the Stones, Richard Ashcroft has always been outspoken about Klein since, The Verve didnt get a penny from that tune, 100% royalties to the Stones/Klein. Just an example as to why the music industry is the piece of shit that it is. 99% of that tune is Verve.

Anyway, going off the Beady Eye topic slightly!
runcible
Site Admin

Post by runcible »

What Recloud said.

I bought both those 1st 2 albums on release and really enjoyed them. I also bought the 3rd and thought it was awful. I don't have that much of an issue with Noel - he's certainly got a little talent - but Liam is one of the most horrible musical figures ever. As for Noel being one of the greatest singer-songwriters of the last 30 years... I laughed out loud when I read that I'm afraid as he's at best... ...talented, but that's all.

It feels odd that my favourite Oasis track - Shaker Maker - was a rip-off of the New Seekers. I don't have an issue with borrowing ideas - hell most bands I love, from Led Zeppelin to Spacemen 3 - did that a great deal. I just find Oasis music generally very uninspiring and massively overrated.

What Verve did was mess with a figure (Klein) without realising how far he'd take his claim and that it would be a legitimate claim. So they did effectively pinch something although what they did with it was magnificent. Klein is too clever to let that sort of thing go if he smells the money.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

runcible wrote:
What Verve did was mess with a figure (Klein) without realising how far he'd take his claim and that it would be a legitimate claim. So they did effectively pinch something although what they did with it was magnificent. Klein is too clever to let that sort of thing go if he smells the money.
Well not much he can do w/that cash now. Wonder where people like him go if there is a next life.
And Verve(and I love them) did nick "too much" of that track. Sampling is one thing. I think 10 seconds is the limit. Someone should have alerted them. Especially when dealing w/Allen Klein. Blaming it on the Stones? Please.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

spzretent wrote:
runcible wrote:
Well not much he can do w/that cash now. Wonder where people like him go if there is a next life.
And Verve(and I love them) did nick "too much" of that track. Sampling is one thing. I think 10 seconds is the limit. Someone should have alerted them. Especially when dealing w/Allen Klein. Blaming it on the Stones? Please.
My understanding is that Verve had negotiated an agreement with Decca Records that shared writing credit so that any revenues would be split. When Allen Klein heard Bitter Sweet and realized its commercial potential, however, he waited until right before the official release of the single to announce that they had "stolen too much" and that they would either have to forfeit all the money to him or scuttle all of their promotion and delay the record to have an expensive legal battle.

I'm a big fan of the original record that the sample comes from, and particularly the full original "The Last Time," but I think the Verve made it a completely different song. Some of the strings and the rhythm are there in the original, but the Verve added the big trip-hop drums, the actual string riff that everyone remembers, the lyrics, the refrain, and all of Nick's butterfly-like atmospheric guitar effects that make the song a little spacey. Of course the sample is key to the song and the publisher deserved a big part of the royalties, but Verve are what made it a hit and an iconic 90s classic, and they definitely deserve at least half of the money from it.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I dont disagree at all. But they happened to be dealing w/one of the all time biggest scumbags in the music business. Allen Klein was a bloodsucking leech. His major talent was signing unsuspecting bands to ridiculous one sided contracts.
Just ask the Stones prior to 1971.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Liam's staircase 'made of gear'

Post by BzaInSpace »

Aw no! Not the old "Oasis are shit - yes they are" thread resurgence.

Groundbreaking or not I don't care - (they weren't) the vast majority of their songs leaves me cold. Be Here Now was fantastic right enough. A insanely OTT cocaine album. I hear the elder Gallagher disowns it these days. Ach well.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Beady Eye album. As mentioned previously also, I think without a doubt 'Bring The Light' is easily the best thing to ever come out of the entire Gallagher canon. It so is!

If the first couple or records by Oasis has songs like that it could all have been so different. Instead, we had wildy over-hyped (in the UK at least) and over-rated plodding rock "anthems" for people who like to rock but not to roll. They are the equivalent of U2 or Coldplay in that they are/were the default 'favourite band' for an endless sea of mindless clones, content with the very plainest, unimaginitive music ever. Gristle for shit like Q magazine to chew on.

One could also argue that Alan McGee's drug dependancy was directly correlated to Oasis' record sales volumes, but I can't be bothered really.

Fuck them and all the crappy bands they influenced!

Next...
O P 8
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

We still talking about this.
Same shit different year! Where's Orbital when you need him!
All the best to you's all.
x
jadams501
Known user

Re: Liam's staircase 'made of gear'

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:Groundbreaking or not I don't care - (they weren't) the vast majority of their songs leaves me cold. Be Here Now was fantastic right enough. A insanely OTT cocaine album. I hear the elder Gallagher disowns it these days. Ach well.

I'm looking forward to hearing the Beady Eye album. As mentioned previously also, I think without a doubt 'Bring The Light' is easily the best thing to ever come out of the entire Gallagher canon. It so is!

If the first couple or records by Oasis has songs like that it could all have been so different. Instead, we had wildy over-hyped (in the UK at least) and over-rated plodding rock "anthems" for people who like to rock but not to roll. They are the equivalent of U2 or Coldplay in that they are/were the default 'favourite band' for an endless sea of mindless clones, content with the very plainest, unimaginitive music ever. Gristle for shit like Q magazine to chew on.
I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote, except that Be Here Now is way underrated. The hugeness and excess of that record are amazing, and it's a shame that Noel has more or less disowned it because there are lots of gems in there.

Bring The Light is OK, but it can't compare to any of at least the top 30 things Noel did with Oasis. Actually, it probably can't compare to pretty much everything Noel did for Oasis, but I can't be bothered to count how many songs he wrote for the band.

As for the sea of mindless clones, that refers to all sorts of people. There are mindless clones who like all sorts of bands from pretty much any genre, including some of the acts that are popular around here.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Meo wrote:We still talking about this.
Meo!
Why yes, yes we are. And while you're here -
How come you never replied to those PMs? There was at least three unanswered after initial comms...I still have one sitting in my outbox unread!

From 2006! :shock:

Don't suppose there is any chance of those CDs you were gonna send me in return for the ones I sent you back then?
Would be nice y'know. Happy New Year...

And Jadams - I'm completely unsurprised you disagree with almost everything (Be Here Now! Yeah!!) I write.

Ultimately it's no biggie - I'm certain I'm missing out on nothing I would otherwise enjoy, as for me there has been nothing from Noel G to match the "giddy amphetamine rush" of 'Bring The Light'.

But then, that's not everyone's cup of retro-flavoured tea.

Just thinking that if Noel had ripped from 'Waiting For The Man' and Live at The Star Club, Hamburg 1964 among others, (The Scream?) than the usual Oasis influences then they woulda made some records I actually enjoy.

Once again, it's just an opinion thing...
jadams501 wrote: As for the sea of mindless clones, that refers to all sorts of people. There are mindless clones who like all sorts of bands from pretty much any genre, including some of the acts that are popular around here.
You mean acts like Oasis? That's who I was referring too. Not sure if 'mindless' could be applied to round here though. I think most of us are pretty clean these days... :)
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

say what you will about oasis but generalizing their fans is weak sauce. i probably like a lot of similar stuff you do or else why would I be here?

for the record i don't like coldplay and U2 were only decent in the 80s.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Noel did rip off "Waiting For The Man." Ever hear "Mucky Fingers" from Don't Believe The Truth?
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:
jadams501 wrote: As for the sea of mindless clones, that refers to all sorts of people. There are mindless clones who like all sorts of bands from pretty much any genre, including some of the acts that are popular around here.
You mean acts like Oasis? That's who I was referring too. Not sure if 'mindless' could be applied to round here though. I think most of us are pretty clean these days... :)
Specifically, I was thinking of more indie groups like our very own Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. I'm fairly confident that some segment of their fanbase likes them substantially for not being hugely popular and that it enables them to be snobbish and act like they're on to something that ordinary mortals just don't understand.

I'm not saying that applies to anyone here or a huge chunk of their fans, just that people like music for all sorts of reasons and no group is without its less likable fans.
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

See this is precisely what I love about this message board.
Most of us have come here from such diverse musical backgrounds.
The common denominator being Spritiualized. Hell, there are even the sectarian Spz fans. Those who love the early stuff and those who prefer the later stuff.
No one should ever take it personally if someone disgarees with their taste.
Thats what makes things interesting around here.
Sarcasm included.
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Kurious Oranj wrote:say what you will about oasis but generalizing their fans is weak sauce. i probably like a lot of similar stuff you do or else why would I be here?
I doubt that very much actually - I think the only common denominator between us (to paraphrase Spz below) - is Spiritualized. Similar to me and a lot of the posters on this thread and board it seems.

But I think that's a great thing - how boring would it be if we all liked the same stuff?

...as boring as a certain plodding Britpop band comprised of two brothers from Burnage etc etc.

"Generalize" nothing! If you must know, some of my closest friends are Oasis fans.

More importantly - d'ya think Meo will reply to me? It's been years, man.
O P 8
ORBITAL
Known user
Location: Drinking Breaker at night, in the cold duchess light.

Post by ORBITAL »

Liked the first two tracks I've heard

I don't subscribe to this Oasis are shite thing. I moved on years ago,but those tunes were the soundtrack

to many fond and fuzzy memories,so I won't be drawn into that debate.

'I dislike Oasis more than you'

At the root of that,I reckon there's a teeny weeny bit of snobbery

I will say again, t my ears there was a fair bit of Spiritualized in the 2nd track (name escapes me)

Many of you may not agree but that's okay.

Heard the 3rd track last night. Not a big fan of it. Bidet? Aye!
Work is the scourge of the drinking classes
spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

Some hilarious comments from Liam's hometown newspaper MEN. See comments below article.
http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... e#comments
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Bidet? Aye!

Post by BzaInSpace »

ORBITAL wrote: Bidet? Aye!
:lol: That actually took a bit before I clocked it - a slower day plus the lingering effects of dental anaesthetic make for a syrupy head. Top!

Snobbery? Nah. See at the time I just really loved Nirvana, and they were THE soundtrack for me.
I could never get into the Brothers G with the same depth of feeling. I tried! The music press(es) talked about them like they were the best thing ever and I think I was ultimately just disappointed, it was like, I just don't get it...
Still, there's always Be Here Now.

Mind you, I also loved the Manic Street Preachers at the time...heh heh heh.

Not heard the 2nd track yet. Spiritualized you say? Awesom-o!

(Also gotta check out Liam's Glasgow shop. How cool would it be if he was the shopkeeper, and would sell you 'specials' from under the counter?)
O P 8
Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

Bidet Aye - lovely. Nice one.
Just to poke it I like Don't believe... this will probably send it back on itself again and i'll be told off for repeating.
Bza check yer p.m's for a response for tardy behaviour, 4 years late!
:shock:
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

I like Oasis, though i never really bought anything after the first 2 albums for some reason, i guess too much other good shit to buy, so they got lost in the fray

a good solid band, better than 90% of the crap new bands glasvegas, Arctic monkey's, fratellis etc etc

this new song is John Lennon singing from the grave, not a bad thing imo, the first part of the song is a total rip off though

"Good Artists Borrow, Great Artists Steal" - Pablo Picasso. i guess...... Bobby G does this a lot esp with lyrics bits
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Meo wrote:Bidet Aye - lovely. Nice one.
Just to poke it I like Don't believe... this will probably send it back on itself again and i'll be told off for repeating.
Bza check yer p.m's for a response for tardy behaviour, 4 years late!
:shock:
Ha ha ha....cheers Meo!
O P 8
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

TheWarmth wrote:I think spzretent was just trying to say that you don't listen to/buy music by the Gallagher brothers because it's groundbreaking. But I think Oranj already knows that. This is just a miscommunication. No big deal.

Personally, I think Noel is incredibly talented and has proven to be a very gifted songwriter/singer/guitarist. Is his material groundbreaking? No, not really, but that doesn't mean a good song isn't a good song.
I agree. At least it's a band worth being my favourite band for five years. Roughly.

And actually... I am reading the latest (auto)biography on them... I enjoy it a lot and I don't care if they are not the most original band that has ever lived.
niamhm wrote: what Ive heard so far sounds like Oasis bsides ,not good ,as for Andy Bell the noise guitarist ,thats more than 20 yrs ago and he doesn`t seem very interested in going back over that ground ,although some reheated Ride in the Beady Eye would probably make it slightly more interesting than the xeroxed Oasis album that seems to be in the offing.
That is why I decided not to listen to the band. Because I really felt they were going to be like Oasis 2. (Which they are, in fact.) Probably better than Hurricane #1, but still...

I am just pissed off that they went on. It's like... I just thought... what do they want to do? Are they out of their minds? Andy Bell could use his time better than this... Oh well, who knows... I am not so sure about that anymore...
spzretent wrote: Like I said, I have a hard time separating negative personalities from thier music. I am quite sure a lot of bands I like have people in them I wouldn't like. I just dont know because they dont constantly make public spectacles of their assholishness.
One exception Brian Jonetown Massacre. No idea why, but I can still listen to those records.
So you do have exceptions... I have a hard time separating negative personalities from music, too. With a lot of people. But never Oasis, as funny as it seems. And to some extent I actually could relate to it.

Oh hell, BJM in Berlin last year... Anton being at his best / or worst.
Kurious Oranj wrote:fair enough.. i guess as a kid of the 90s i have a soft spot for them that's lasted beyond other phase bands in my life at the time.

i don't listen to them that much these days but they leave me in a good mood when i do.
It's like that for me, too. Some of their songs still... still work for me. Of course, I was more mad about them a couple of years ago. And I'd say they were an awesome band to grow up with, even though the period I loved most was gone even before I knew them. Doesn't bother me too much though...
jadams501 wrote: As for the Stones, if there was a decent human being among them someone would have spoken up against Allen Klein's plundering of Bitter Sweet Symphony.
<3 THAT was what I have always believed. Because... Bitter Sweet Symphony is SUCH a brilliant song. I mean... Obviously that's the first song by The Verve that I knew, and it still ranks very high on my list.
jadams501 wrote: My understanding is that Verve had negotiated an agreement with Decca Records that shared writing credit so that any revenues would be split. When Allen Klein heard Bitter Sweet and realized its commercial potential, however, he waited until right before the official release of the single to announce that they had "stolen too much" and that they would either have to forfeit all the money to him or scuttle all of their promotion and delay the record to have an expensive legal battle.

I'm a big fan of the original record that the sample comes from, and particularly the full original "The Last Time," but I think the Verve made it a completely different song. Some of the strings and the rhythm are there in the original, but the Verve added the big trip-hop drums, the actual string riff that everyone remembers, the lyrics, the refrain, and all of Nick's butterfly-like atmospheric guitar effects that make the song a little spacey. Of course the sample is key to the song and the publisher deserved a big part of the royalties, but Verve are what made it a hit and an iconic 90s classic, and they definitely deserve at least half of the money from it.
The Last Time might probably be my favourite Stones track -_- The first time I heard it, I thought "Wow". Prefer "Bitter Sweet Symphony" over it though, especially lyrically. Musically, both songs are very good.

Yes, Bitter Sweet Symphony is very different, if you just look at the lyrics. It's just... I can't explain it. I think the lyrics are very very vital for the song and the music... It's just perfect. Both of it. Nick McCabe's guitar only adds to the grandiosity of the song. The song (among other Verve songs) really means a lot to me.

Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

spzretent wrote:I dont disagree at all. But they happened to be dealing w/one of the all time biggest scumbags in the music business. Allen Klein was a bloodsucking leech. His major talent was signing unsuspecting bands to ridiculous one sided contracts.
Just ask the Stones prior to 1971.
Oh yes, sadly. :(
BzaInSpace wrote:Aw no! Not the old "Oasis are shit - yes they are" thread resurgence.
Wise words.
BzaInSpace wrote: They are the equivalent of U2 or Coldplay in that they are/were the default 'favourite band' for an endless sea of mindless clones, content with the very plainest, unimaginitive music ever. Gristle for shit like Q magazine to chew on.
I keep hearing this... And then I think "No... No, that's not it." I only read about them after I saw them on TV (Yeah, not the most imaginative place to get into a band) and especially around the time when Heathen Chemistry was out - pretty late. I can understand that people get annoyed by all the hype around a band, it was worse in the 90s and it's become this cliché during the last... probably even ten years. :lol:

But, as has been said several times in this thread, it doesn't really bother me. If a band is good enough, then that... bothers me less. At least. I never liked when one of my favourite bands became too popular and got merchandised all over the globe. Because it loses this... real feeling, you know. That it's a real band. I mean, a lot of this is just this visionary idea, it's never just about the music, but at least on the record you could have good music.

Oh, he, The Verve. Good point. There was something similar going on with them. Always those comparisons with Oasis... It was only Richard, really, and sometimes or even rather often he gets on my nerves. When it comes to Oasis. Because, you see, I never liked that brit pop cliché stuff. I just felt that (The) Verve's earlier stuff was so much better. Well, percentage-wise. During their first years about... 90 per cent of what they put out was brilliant. It got less around Urban Hymns and I still can't listen to Forth. It gives me the creeps. I prefer every album by David Gilmour over that. It hurts me to listen to that record. Just didn't feel right.
jadams501 wrote: I disagree with pretty much everything you wrote, except that Be Here Now is way underrated. The hugeness and excess of that record are amazing, and it's a shame that Noel has more or less disowned it because there are lots of gems in there.
Yeah, I... I really like that record. I also like D'You Know What I Mean? It's a bit... It's a bit of this... "rock'n'roll" kind of attitude to it, but musically it's actually really... really good. I sometimes listen to the album and I am blown away.
:lol:

Hipsters?

Probably... :lol:

I look at the NME and think "Why do people identify with this cliché?". And they... at least that's what I think... they seem to think they have an individual taste...
Kurious Oranj wrote:say what you will about oasis but generalizing their fans is weak sauce. i probably like a lot of similar stuff you do or else why would I be here?

for the record i don't like coldplay and U2 were only decent in the 80s.
I actually used to like Coldplay a lot and I still respect them as a band, although X&Y was really bad...

And U2... Yeah... It's true... I wish they'd stayed this small Dublin band making nice and honest music... Nowadays... Or yeah... The last 20 years... I just don't feel that's right. I adore their early stuff though...
TheWarmth wrote:Noel did rip off "Waiting For The Man." Ever hear "Mucky Fingers" from Don't Believe The Truth?
Omg, you're right! :lol:

I like Mucky Fingers though. :lol:
jadams501 wrote: Specifically, I was thinking of more indie groups like our very own Spacemen 3 and Spiritualized. I'm fairly confident that some segment of their fanbase likes them substantially for not being hugely popular and that it enables them to be snobbish and act like they're on to something that ordinary mortals just don't understand.

I'm not saying that applies to anyone here or a huge chunk of their fans, just that people like music for all sorts of reasons and no group is without its less likable fans.
Are you sure you mean Spacemen 3? I actually think their fans are genuinely enjoying them. Spiritualized... I don't know... Radiohead fans can be much worse (depends on which person you are talking about...).
BzaInSpace wrote: Snobbery? Nah. See at the time I just really loved Nirvana, and they were THE soundtrack for me.
I could never get into the Brothers G with the same depth of feeling. I tried! The music press(es) talked about them like they were the best thing ever and I think I was ultimately just disappointed, it was like, I just don't get it...
I've never cared about what the music press had to say about Oasis. I generally don't like any kind of superficial hype of any band.

"I mean, Oasis? They're all to do with statistics as well, aren't they?" :?

BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Post by BzaInSpace »

Amen pal!
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

I always thought the first three Oasis albums were of a piece really- all had some great songs on and some stinkers. Be Here Now did have that ridiculous OTT feel to it but apart from that the songs were as good/bad as ever (this feel also seemed to extend to the accompanying tour- theres a live '97 version of Cigarettes an Alcohol on a B side somewhere which has lots of self indulgent widdling on it)
I was quite keen on the band at the time, and yes the hype did have something to do with in a weird way. they were SO massive in the UK it was like being part of something so much bigger than yourself. and it all moved so quick. new single every few months with plentiful B sides.

but then you start to realise the bands weaknesses- awful lyrics, pointless and plodding rhythm section and musically conservative.
ironically the album which tried to fix this- Standing On The Shoulders of Giants was actually a total total turd. it was quite psychedelic for them, had basslines you could actually hum, etc. but it was shit.
after that it was back to the drawing board.. back to what the fans want (see also, U2 with All That You Cant Leave Behind..)

after this Oasis ceased to have a point, although they could still sell out stadiums at the drop of a hat. I have little to no interest in what Liam does, altough as a Ride fan I will say its great to see Andy Bell back on guitar.
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Standing On The Shoulders of Giants was actually a total total turd. it was quite psychedelic for them, had basslines you could actually hum, etc. but it was shit.
I have to disagree with you their ,you maybe right to a point ,I`d say 5 of the trax are shit the other 5 are great some of Oasis best ,Fuckin` In the Bushes ,Go Let It Out and Where Did It All Go Wrong all excellent,

its very much a transitional album,post divorce,post Oasis mk1 disintegrating and pre the new Oasis chuck on the drugs at the time and its a wonder its got any good songs ,but it does roughly half the album IMO.
but then you start to realise the bands weaknesses- awful lyrics, pointless and plodding rhythm section and musically conservative.
you could quite easily apply that list of weaknesses to Ride who made considerably more shit albums than Oasis IMO[/quot

excuse the double posting f8ck up.
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

niamhm wrote:
Standing On The Shoulders of Giants was actually a total total turd. it was quite psychedelic for them, had basslines you could actually hum, etc. but it was shit.
I have to disagree with you their ,you maybe right to a point ,I`d say 5 of the trax are shit the other 5 are great some of Oasis best ,Fuckin` In the Bushes ,Go Let It Out and Where Did It All Go Wrong all excellent,

its very much a transitional album,post divorce,post Oasis mk1 disintegrating and pre the new Oasis chuck on the drugs at the time and its a wonder its got any good songs ,but it does roughly half the album IMO.
you could quite easily apply that list of weaknesses to Ride who made considerably more shit albums than Oasis IMO
I agree with you on SOTSG, I actually think it's one of Oasis' better albums and certainly their most emotionally vulnerable. Much of it reflects the disintegration of the madness when Oasis was SO huge, and I find much of it very affecting. I think the singles were extremely well-crafted (particularly if you hear the Noel-sung demos), and the light electronica flourishes around the edges were a successful experiment that on paper simply shouldn't have worked.

I don't think Oasis' lyrics are that bad, there are occasional clunkers but all in all they express a distinctive perspective and communicate a variety of emotions. I'd certainly put Noel as a lyricist well ahead of 95% of his competitors.

As for Oasis being "musically conservative," I think that's a ridiculous charge. It's not necessary for every group to strike out in new directions, and in the medium of rock so much has been done that a lot of experimentation ends up being self-indulgence. If we're talking about "musical conservativism," it seems like J Spaceman's work over the last ten years would be the ultimate example, since he continually reworks the same basic themes and song archetypes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but surely Spaceman deserves criticism if "musical conservatism" is some kind of sin. And what about virtually all power pop cribbing from the Beatles? Or Bob Dylan raiding vintage folk and blues for the last twenty years? I would much rather listen to well-crafted melodic pop that honors the traditions from which it sprung than groups prioritizing innovation for innovation's sake.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

angelsighs wrote: after this Oasis ceased to have a point, although they could still sell out stadiums at the drop of a hat. I have little to no interest in what Liam does, altough as a Ride fan I will say its great to see Andy Bell back on guitar.
Agreed. Although I do like Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants, always have.
niamhm wrote: you could quite easily apply that list of weaknesses to Ride who made considerably more shit albums than Oasis IMO
I disagree with you there. I couldn't listen to Carnival Of Light for a pretty long time, I just considered it as their "we now go all 70s, who cares about shoegaze" album, but at one point I actually liked it. I can definitely value it more now. I wouldn't say they made more shit albums, even though their last two albums are not as good as their first two.
jadams501 wrote: I agree with you on SOTSG, I actually think it's one of Oasis' better albums and certainly their most emotionally vulnerable. Much of it reflects the disintegration of the madness when Oasis was SO huge, and I find much of it very affecting. I think the singles were extremely well-crafted (particularly if you hear the Noel-sung demos), and the light electronica flourishes around the edges were a successful experiment that on paper simply shouldn't have worked.
Go Let It Out is such a brilliant song. I really really love Gas Panic!, too. Especially the second half when it's basically just Noel fiddling about on his guitar and with the effects.
jadams501 wrote: I don't think Oasis' lyrics are that bad, there are occasional clunkers but all in all they express a distinctive perspective and communicate a variety of emotions. I'd certainly put Noel as a lyricist well ahead of 95% of his competitors.

As for Oasis being "musically conservative," I think that's a ridiculous charge. It's not necessary for every group to strike out in new directions, and in the medium of rock so much has been done that a lot of experimentation ends up being self-indulgence. If we're talking about "musical conservativism," it seems like J Spaceman's work over the last ten years would be the ultimate example, since he continually reworks the same basic themes and song archetypes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but surely Spaceman deserves criticism if "musical conservatism" is some kind of sin. And what about virtually all power pop cribbing from the Beatles? Or Bob Dylan raiding vintage folk and blues for the last twenty years? I would much rather listen to well-crafted melodic pop that honors the traditions from which it sprung than groups prioritizing innovation for innovation's sake.
I'd definitely say that Oasis do have quite a couple of awesome lyrics. Like... The Importance Of Being Idle is pretty cool. Or... I quite like Half The World Away and Sad Song. Obviously Live Forever, too, even though I always felt the lyrics are a bit too cliché for me... Supersonic's lyrics are pretty silly, but I like them, too. Be Here Now's lyrics are also very silly. Admittedly, I also like the lyrics of Rock'n'Roll Star. I also like Andy Bell's efforts on Turn Up The Sun and Keep The Dream Alive. Better than his late Ride/Hurricane #1 stuff.

And probably one of their most cliché songs - The Hindu Times. I can't deny that song completely. It's basically why I know the band. And I still do like it...

Acquiesce has pretty simple lyrics - even for Oasis lyrics that tend to be rather simple.

As for songs... I... I have always liked Little James and basically everyone seems to hate that song with a passion. :lol: There's a lot of Oasis songs that I like less.

angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

niamhm wrote: I have to disagree with you their ,you maybe right to a point ,I`d say 5 of the trax are shit the other 5 are great some of Oasis best ,Fuckin` In the Bushes ,Go Let It Out and Where Did It All Go Wrong all excellent,
yep Go Let It Out is pretty good, Gas Panic is great.. but the rest.. cmon.. Who Feels Love is one of the worst attempts at psychedelia i've ever heard.. Little James.. urgh (sorry Already There!.. Songbird is much better, do you like that song?)
niamhm wrote: you could quite easily apply that list of weaknesses to Ride who made considerably more shit albums than Oasis IMO
hmmm again got to disagree.. Ride not the greatest of lyricists but some good ones.. Vapour Trail has great lyrics, as does a lot of Nowhere. Loz is also one of my favourite drummers ever.
Rides shit period where they went conservative and retro was also mainly inspired by none other than.. Oasis.
dont want it to feel like i'm laying into Oasis here... the melodies are often absolutely brilliant (that was always Noels strength I thought)
jadams501 wrote: I don't think Oasis' lyrics are that bad, there are occasional clunkers but all in all they express a distinctive perspective and communicate a variety of emotions. I'd certainly put Noel as a lyricist well ahead of 95% of his competitors.
id put that ratio the other way round.. mainly clunkers with the occasional good ones. the melancholy Oasis ones are often quite good with more effort put into the lyrics. and im not a big fan of say Blur or Pulp, but surely they are better lyricists than Noel... if thats who you mean by his (direct) competitors?
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

BLEEDIN' EYES

Post by BzaInSpace »

jadams501 wrote:As for Oasis being "musically conservative," I think that's a ridiculous charge. It's not necessary for every group to strike out in new directions, and in the medium of rock so much has been done that a lot of experimentation ends up being self-indulgence. If we're talking about "musical conservativism," it seems like J Spaceman's work over the last ten years would be the ultimate example, since he continually reworks the same basic themes and song archetypes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but surely Spaceman deserves criticism if "musical conservatism" is some kind of sin..
I don't think it's a "sin" if it's done well - you mention Dylan for example who always brings something fresh to older music he appropriates/raids; much like Spiritualized. Or put it another way, I can't really think of anything in those two artists work that smacks of pastiche. (Unless possibly a pastiche of themselves. That's one for another day maybe)
Unlike The Oasis Brothers...

Besides - tarring J Spaceman with the 'musically conservative' brush is nonsense - just think of the more recent solo material such as Guitar Loops, the tracks on the Mister Lonely OST, SpaceShipp, the Yoko Ono remix etc.

All of it suggests an imagination and musical ability stretching out and going for it - 'On Fire' if you like. Noel G isn't even on the same page...
jadams501 wrote:I would much rather listen to well-crafted melodic pop that honors the traditions from which it sprung than groups prioritizing innovation for innovation's sake.
Christ! "Honour" and "tradition" have nothing to do with rock 'n' roll. At least, not where I'm standing.
O P 8
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

spzretent
Site Admin

Post by spzretent »

I liked Little James until I realized who was singing. Then I felt sorry for the little kid.
jadams501
Known user

Re: BLEEDIN' EYES

Post by jadams501 »

BzaInSpace wrote:
jadams501 wrote:As for Oasis being "musically conservative," I think that's a ridiculous charge. It's not necessary for every group to strike out in new directions, and in the medium of rock so much has been done that a lot of experimentation ends up being self-indulgence. If we're talking about "musical conservativism," it seems like J Spaceman's work over the last ten years would be the ultimate example, since he continually reworks the same basic themes and song archetypes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but surely Spaceman deserves criticism if "musical conservatism" is some kind of sin..
I don't think it's a "sin" if it's done well - you mention Dylan for example who has been raiding the always brings something fresh to older music he appropriates; much like Spiritualized. Or put it another way, I can't really think of anything in those two artists work that smacks of pastiche. (Unless possibly a pastiche of themselves. That's one for another day maybe)
Unlike The Oasis Brothers...

Besides - tarring J Spaceman with the 'musically conservative' brush is nonsense - just think of the more recent solo material such as Guitar Loops, the tracks on the Mister Lonely OST, SpaceShipp, the Yoko Ono remix etc.

All of it suggests an imagination and musical ability stretching out and going for it - 'On Fire' if you like. Noel G isn't even on the same page...
I wasn't tarring J Spaceman with anything, because I specifically was saying there's nothing wrong with "musical conservatism" and that I think the term itself is pretty questionable. I mean, jazz pretty much destroyed itself and now exists primarily as sepia-toned nostalgia because people were so determined to be avant-garde that they alienated a lot of listeners. With some exceptions, jazz is now museum-piece Wynton Marsalis music to most people. By your standards, it seems that EAR would be better than Spectrum because it abandons such boring and tired conventions as melody and lyrics -- but I know which one I like to spend more than five minutes listening to.

I'm happy to own Guitar Loops and Spaceshipp as collector's items, but both of those are pretty aimless noodling. Little is more "musically conservative" than those, it's trodden ground that's been covered for decades by Spaceman himself and in jazz, electronic music, etc. Certainly there's not much that pushes the envelope of Spaceman's talents. And Mister Lonely is as boilerplate Spaceman as you can get... two of the tracks are low-key redos of Soul 1 from the Spacemen days. I like them just fine, but none of that is more artistically 'valid' than Noel's work over the same time period.

I post at the Spz board and not the Oasis forum, so I do think Spaceman is a better artist than Noel G, but I don't think one can draw a definite line in the sand between them, and I'd say both are heavyweights.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

This isn't aimed at anyone specifically here, but I think that it's easy to forget or overlook the difficulty in writing a good song. Love him or hate him, Noel's songwriting abilities are undeniable, as far as I'm concerned. They're usually not very complex or pushing boundaries, as we all seem to agree, but the melodies are so strong and seemingly effortless, even on the later albums ("Falling Down," for example).
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

yep Go Let It Out is pretty good, Gas Panic is great.. but the rest.. cmon.. Who Feels Love is one of the worst attempts at psychedelia i've ever heard.. Little James.. urgh (sorry Already There!.. Songbird is much better, do you like that song?)
I did say I thought 5 were great and 5 were shit ,where did you think I had the two you highlighted? in the great pile!
Rides shit period where they went conservative and retro was also mainly inspired by none other than.. Oasis.
dont want it to feel like i'm laying into Oasis here... the melodies are often absolutely brilliant (that was always Noels strength I thought)
I`ve heard Oasis taking flak over many things down the years ,but the blame for 2 shit Ride albums thats too much lol!!
simonkeeping
Known user

Post by simonkeeping »

I post at the Spz board and not the Oasis forum, so I do think Spaceman is a better artist than Noel G, but I don't think one can draw a definite line in the sand between them, and I'd say both are heavyweights.
On the subject of Oasis. I do like Noel. Hes a nice guy and always gives a good interview. Hes released some truly great records but post Be Here Now, hes also released some terrible records, and he himself would say the same. Seemingly every time an Oasis record would come out it (post Be Here Now) it would be called their 'masterpiece' in the press and then in the same magazine you'd normally have an interview with Noel say he wasn't happy with it it. The last tracks were rushed etc etc, Liam had to go and buy a house, go and get pissed, go for a run, get married etc etc....

I gave up buying there albums a long time ago purely because I didn't like this attitude of putting out records they know are shite. Okay in 'real world' (and not in simon keeping's idealistic world view) its slightly different as you have release schedules which tie in with tours etc but coming from the background the brothers G do, and them knowing what its like to work in some crap job and spending what little money you have on an album because you love a band so much (I'm lucky enough not to be in this position but thousands of there fans are). To even then put out something even that you, the person who made it and is normally the least likely to see fault anyway is IMHO a bit wrong.

I don't know if Noel could ever be on the same level as Jason. Thats not me saying he couldn't I really don't know? The man has a gift as a song writer and I think post Oasis he could come up with some great stuff, but on the flipside he could also just slip into pan handling out the same lad rock/pub kicking out time ballads that he's so fond of. All of which Im sure would be lapped up. Falling down is a great track (I take back what I said about it on here a while back) but too much of there recent output hasn't had that spark to it and because of that hasn't really been very exciting to listen to. I think if Noel had a good producer who really pushed him into not releasing something until it was perfect (and maybe he needs to get a bit of help with his lyrics too..) I think he could really be onto something. Otherwise I do have my doubts.
http://www.soundcloud.com/haarlemriots
jadams501
Known user

Post by jadams501 »

simonkeeping wrote:On the subject of Oasis. I do like Noel. Hes a nice guy and always gives a good interview. Hes released some truly great records but post Be Here Now, hes also released some terrible records, and he himself would say the same. Seemingly every time an Oasis record would come out it (post Be Here Now) it would be called their 'masterpiece' in the press and then in the same magazine you'd normally have an interview with Noel say he wasn't happy with it it. The last tracks were rushed etc etc, Liam had to go and buy a house, go and get pissed, go for a run, get married etc etc....

I gave up buying there albums a long time ago purely because I didn't like this attitude of putting out records they know are shite. Okay in 'real world' (and not in simon keeping's idealistic world view) its slightly different as you have release schedules which tie in with tours etc but coming from the background the brothers G do, and them knowing what its like to work in some crap job and spending what little money you have on an album because you love a band so much (I'm lucky enough not to be in this position but thousands of there fans are). To even then put out something even that you, the person who made it and is normally the least likely to see fault anyway is IMHO a bit wrong.

I don't know if Noel could ever be on the same level as Jason. Thats not me saying he couldn't I really don't know? The man has a gift as a song writer and I think post Oasis he could come up with some great stuff, but on the flipside he could also just slip into pan handling out the same lad rock/pub kicking out time ballads that he's so fond of. All of which Im sure would be lapped up. Falling down is a great track (I take back what I said about it on here a while back) but too much of there recent output hasn't had that spark to it and because of that hasn't really been very exciting to listen to. I think if Noel had a good producer who really pushed him into not releasing something until it was perfect (and maybe he needs to get a bit of help with his lyrics too..) I think he could really be onto something. Otherwise I do have my doubts.
I think maybe there are differences between people's philosophies of record releases. In the modern era, it's become customary to release an album every couple of years in step with a tour, so the expectation is that the album be an opus. I generally prefer the way things were done in the 60s and 70s, when albums were released more often and there was less expectation that it had to be a statement. I've always liked "odds and sods" releases of rarities/b-sides, and I also like the weird covers and jams and throwaways you find back from that time. Similarly, I also tend to enjoy latter-day records from people who are no longer defining their style or breaking new ground, but getting into a groove doing what they do best -- maybe a big reason why I like Amazing Grace, Forth, and latter-day Oasis albums more than most around here. If I'm a fan of the group, I don't mind records that aren't necessarily going to make new fans.

Yes the latter Oasis albums didn't have some of the magic of their earlier stuff, but I like a lot of it anyway. I'd say Heathen Chemistry is their weakest record, but there are a number of things I really like on it. She Is Love and Hung In A Bad Place are both tissue-thin throwaways but there's something about their lack of huge import that I find really engaging. During the mid-90s neither of those would probably have even made it to b-sides, but I'm happy to hear them fairly frequently. There's something nice about listening to one of my favorite bands do something other than Champagne Supernova-esque generational anthems.

Albums are not THAT expensive, particularly in the mp3 era, and Oasis definitely has an aging fanbase with some kind of income. If they want to buy the album they can have one less drink at the pub over the course of 3 nights and they'll be able to afford it. Concerts will mostly be the hits people want to hear anyway. Obviously I prefer more quality material over less, and don't endorse worthless filler, but most of what Oasis have released has been enjoyable. Similarly, I don't think Yeah Yeah or I Gotta Fire are classics on the level of Walking With Jesus or Shine A Light, but in some ways I like them more than other, more celebrated album tracks.

As for Noel's songs lacking a spark, I think he's done a lot of really great material over the last few albums. On the last one, I really liked Bag It Up, Shock of the Lightning, Falling Down, and especially The Turning. I don't think he'll ever quite be turning out Live Forevers again, but Dylan isn't writing any more Tangled Up In Blues and I still like his records too.
TheWarmth
Known user

Post by TheWarmth »

Heathen Chemistry is one of my favorite of the later Oasis albums. The only two songs that don't do much for me are "She Is Love" and "Better Man." IMO, it beats Don't Believe The Truth and Standing On The Shoulder of Giants easily. I noticed wikipedia says there is a bonus instrumental hidden track called "The Cage," but I have no memory of this. I'll have to check my cd copy.
radioshack
Known user

Post by radioshack »

TheWarmth wrote:Heathen Chemistry is one of my favorite of the later Oasis albums. The only two songs that don't do much for me are "She Is Love" and "Better Man." IMO, it beats Don't Believe The Truth and Standing On The Shoulder of Giants easily. I noticed wikipedia says there is a bonus instrumental hidden track called "The Cage," but I have no memory of this. I'll have to check my cd copy.
I really like The Cage. Quite moody and edgy as far as Oasis goes. Certainly their best instrumental piece, although to be fair there isn't much competition.

There was a mini Oasis night on Sky Arts this weekend. A gig from 2005 I think, then an interview with Noel on the Dave somebody or other show. As echoed here, I think Noel Gallagher comes across as a really genuine, direct and decent guy. Always gives a funny interview too. The gig too made me realise that Oasis are nowhere near as bad as people now make out. I don't really listen to them so much now, though the last album was the best since the 90's- I really loved High Horse Lady, Falling Down, Shock of the Lightning. I guess I'll always have a soft spot for Noel's songwriting. They were huge when I was young, and it was nice to be swept along by something so positive and upbeat and crusing rubbish pop. You can't deny he was on form 93-96.

I can't decide between Heathen Chemistry or SOTSOG as the poorest record. The latter sounds like a downbeat record, which doesn't suit the band at all. Where Did It All Go Wrong is also the worst of the pub rock they put out. But then again I liked All In the Mind off HC. Maybe it's the G/C chords being reminiscent of another band I like :P

I think Noel has praised Jason Pierce a few times before. I'd be suprised if they hadn't talked. Noel kind of seeks out those he's admires, doesn't he?
ravench
Known user

Post by ravench »

It would be beneficial if all this Oasis stuff was posted on Oasis forums.
Sorry but its pointless talking about them. They do not exist anymore and they produced rubbish.
Kurious Oranj
Known user

Post by Kurious Oranj »

ravench wrote:It would be beneficial if all this Oasis stuff was posted on Oasis forums.
Sorry but its pointless talking about them. They do not exist anymore and they produced rubbish.
you know you don't have to click on the thread let alone post in it. last i checked spiritualized/spacemen 3 weren't the only bands allowed for discussion here.

and honestly i can imagine oasis forums being full of retards (whoops I'm generalizing now :lol: ) so it's actually refreshing to see them discussed maturely.
burningwheel
Known user

Post by burningwheel »

ravench wrote:It would be beneficial if all this Oasis stuff was posted on Oasis forums.
sez the new guy :wink:
[url=http://www.loveisforever.org]Primal Scream, My Bloody Valentine, Swervedriver, Chapterhouse, The Telescopes, Loop, Verve and more![/url]
BzaInSpace
Site Admin

Be Dee I

Post by BzaInSpace »

Ooh - lets all take on the new guy.

(Welcome, by the way.)

Generalizing? Poor sauce mate.

Hey, anyone can post anything they like. Like you don't already...

Besides - this was about The Beady Eye, and how 'Bring The Light' is easily the greatest track in the entire Gallagher catalogue. :wink: Looking forward to the album. Speed anthems, innit
O P 8
angelsighs
Known user

Post by angelsighs »

radioshack wrote: They were huge when I was young, and it was nice to be swept along by something so positive and upbeat and crusing rubbish pop. You can't deny he was on form 93-96.
yeah I agree, that's what it felt like at the time. it was all so exciting.
I wonder if Noel regrets putting a lot of his best songs on B sides in that period. The Masterplan pisses on the later albums.

and even SOTSOG had some great B sides- Let All Make Believe and Full On should have been on the album. do you ever wonder if songwriters are truly able to judge their own material objectively? :)
Kurious Oranj wrote: and honestly I can imagine oasis forums being full of retards (whoops I'm generalizing now ) so it's actually refreshing to see them discussed maturely
yeh this thread has been quite reasoned and above knee jerk reactions which is refreshing for a band who seem to draw strong opinions from people.

going back to jadams point about originality, yes Dylan for example may not be averse to nicking some tunes or lyrics occasionally, and his last few albums are mainly a melting pot of folk and prewar tunes rejigged, but those albums are not what his legend was built on- that was the redhot innovation of 65-66 and the constant reinventions throughout his career (such reinventions are something I could never see Oasis doing).
its a good point and food for thought though, no music is truly original and its a very fine line to tread.
Already There
Known user

Post by Already There »

simonkeeping wrote: I don't know if Noel could ever be on the same level as Jason. Thats not me saying he couldn't I really don't know? The man has a gift as a song writer and I think post Oasis he could come up with some great stuff, but on the flipside he could also just slip into pan handling out the same lad rock/pub kicking out time ballads that he's so fond of.
Jason's definitely more far-out. 8)
jadams501 wrote: Yes the latter Oasis albums didn't have some of the magic of their earlier stuff, but I like a lot of it anyway. I'd say Heathen Chemistry is their weakest record, but there are a number of things I really like on it. She Is Love and Hung In A Bad Place are both tissue-thin throwaways but there's something about their lack of huge import that I find really engaging.
I really really love She Is Love.
jadams501 wrote: As for Noel's songs lacking a spark, I think he's done a lot of really great material over the last few albums. On the last one, I really liked Bag It Up, Shock of the Lightning, Falling Down, and especially The Turning. I don't think he'll ever quite be turning out Live Forevers again, but Dylan isn't writing any more Tangled Up In Blues and I still like his records too.
Shock Of The Lightning was brilliant. Very simple, but awesome.
TheWarmth wrote:Heathen Chemistry is one of my favorite of the later Oasis albums. The only two songs that don't do much for me are "She Is Love" and "Better Man." IMO, it beats Don't Believe The Truth and Standing On The Shoulder of Giants easily. I noticed wikipedia says there is a bonus instrumental hidden track called "The Cage," but I have no memory of this. I'll have to check my cd copy.
I think the instrumental song is 34 minutes into Better Man. I always liked Better Man. I was never fond of Born On A Different Cloud though, just never did anything for me...

Meo
Known user

Post by Meo »

The album cover look intriguing at least!
niamhm
Known user

Post by niamhm »

Where Did It All Go Wrong is also the worst of the pub rock they put out
different strokes and that ,but I always liked that track ,reminds me of Crazy Horse ,something about the riff.